PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8.5 - 64 don't want to install ..

Wireframex
10-14-2005, 11:27 AM
I can't install LW 64.

The setup say me I don't have XP64 .... :help:

http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/7097/xp649xk.jpg

any solution ????

Phil

gjjackson
10-14-2005, 11:31 AM
I'm not sure but I thought x64 was for AMD only. And LW64 only works on the AMD x64.

Wireframex
10-14-2005, 11:36 AM
How can you explain I can use XP Pro 64 on a dual Xeon EMT 64 then .... ???

Phil

landman
10-14-2005, 11:37 AM
I get exactly the same and I do have an AMD64 chip with xp64

Wireframex
10-14-2005, 11:40 AM
mmmh

Well I am not alone now .... :question:

Phil

gjjackson
10-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Well, hmmm, I wonder if it has something to do with languages. Don't know. I'll have to wait until I get home and try installing it and give a report then.

gjjackson
10-14-2005, 11:47 AM
How can you explain I can use XP Pro 64 on a dual Xeon EMT 64 then .... ???

Phil

Can't say for sure, but I had the idea, originally, xp64 was for AMD only and maybe, possibly, there's two different versions for each processor. I'll have to check on that.

From MS website:

A. Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is designed to work with 64-bit processors from AMD and Intel that support the x64 extensions to the x86 architecture. These include the Athlon 64, Athlon 64 FX, Mobile Athlon 64, Turion 64, and Opteron processors from AMD, and the Xeon with EM64T and Pentium 4 with EM64T from Intel.

Wireframex
10-14-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure but I thought x64 was for AMD only. And LW64 only works on the AMD x64.

From Microsoft web site :

Q. What computers can run Windows XP Professional X64 Edition?

A. Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is designed to work with 64-bit processors from AMD and Intel that support the x64 extensions to the x86 architecture. These include the Athlon 64, Athlon 64 FX, Mobile Athlon 64, Turion 64, and Opteron processors from AMD, and the Xeon with EM64T and Pentium 4 with EM64T from Intel.

Phil

gjjackson
10-14-2005, 11:52 AM
HEY, you copied the same thing. What a coincidence. I'd guess you'd have to call support and check with them. I'm getting close to being at a loss. I'll have to see what happens with mine. I have a MSI K something.

landman
10-14-2005, 11:53 AM
phil

I had tried to install LW8 and the update Unsuccessfully...dongle issues
(I hadn't found the 64 bit drivers)
Anyway I then uninstalled LW before trying LW64.

Did you do any of this?

I'm looking for some common factors that might explain it.....maybe :)

p.s.- gjjackson I don't think is languages I'm using english

Wireframex
10-14-2005, 11:54 AM
gjjackson > it's purely coincidental...

Wireframex
10-14-2005, 11:57 AM
phil

I had tried to install LW8 and the update Unsuccessfully...dongle issues
(I hadn't found the 64 bit drivers)
Anyway I then uninstalled LW before trying LW64.

Did you do any of this?

I'm looking for some common factors that might explain it.....maybe :)

p.s.- gjjackson I don't think is languages I'm using english

You don't have to install the LW x32. the x64 version is a stand alone one.

The setup did not tell me anything about the dongle, Just --> You don't have a 64 bit windows XP ??!?

gjjackson
10-14-2005, 11:58 AM
For drivers, check this out. My dongle works with DFX so I assume it will work with LW. Getting excited now waiting to install.

Oops, forgot the link.

http://3drecursions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149

Wireframex
10-14-2005, 12:00 PM
For drivers, check this out. My dongle works with DFX so I assume it will work with LW. Getting excited now waiting to install.

Ok I am waiting for the result of your x64 install ...

Phil

landman
10-14-2005, 12:04 PM
No I realise that. I had tried to get it going earlier in the week.

I ran the installer and it just pops up and says" This installer is only for 64-bit windows systems"

Paulifra
10-14-2005, 12:11 PM
At startup i get the message, it needs a windows 64 bits pc.

System dell 670, x 64, w meg ram, quadro fx4400

gjjackson
10-14-2005, 12:20 PM
No I realise that. I had tried to get it going earlier in the week.

I ran the installer and it just pops up and says" This installer is only for 64-bit windows systems"

LW was only downloadable today. Are you talking about LW or Sentinel. Sentinel has 64bit beta drivers v 7.x, I think.

Wireframex
10-14-2005, 12:27 PM
here is :

http://img435.imageshack.us/img435/5154/xp6428wz.jpg

It doesn't talk about dongle ...

Phil

landman
10-14-2005, 12:30 PM
OK lets get this striaght
I tried to install LW 8 32bit earlier in the week with no joy. This was an issue with the dongle drivers.

Today when the 64 bit version was available, I tried that and got the " This installer is only for 64-bit windows systems" error. I don't think it's the same problem.

I've noticed that this error is cropping up in several places on the forums by different people. Has anybody got the downloaded 64 bit version to work ?

gjjackson
10-14-2005, 12:34 PM
What I'm wondering is, if this is a full install, then it's trying to install the Sentinel drivers then and maybe that's where the problem is. I have heard of LW's sentinel drivers having problems. If, on a CD, you could possibly go to a setup.exe file and bypass these other installs. Just a thought.

landman
10-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Good idea......but the install is only one .exe
I can't see any way round that

Wireframex
10-14-2005, 12:40 PM
I am going to test a sentinel x64 before to install lightwave x64

Phil

Paulifra
10-14-2005, 12:41 PM
I think it is clearly, at this moment there are a lot off complaints about the same problem:

The installer is only for 64 bits systems

My question is :

How is it possible to make a program ready for download, that has problems on different systems, from different brand, different processors in many countries, and most important i assume all windows 64 bits systems.

Just launch the program and the problem is already there

I wouls gladly read a post from a succeeded installation

A pity i deinstalled the 32 bits version with the sentinel beta drivers, because that was running.

I think the problem has nothing to do with the sentinel drivers, but with reconizing a windows 64 bits system, because the 64 beta drivers work with 8.3 32 bits without problems

On what kind of systems did newtek tested this version, probably 1 brand machine.

I think this tread reaches 200 readings in a few hours as soon as may people know that lw x64 is ready for download

gjjackson
10-14-2005, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't have thought you'd need to remove the 32bit version, unless it's a driver issue, but I would think not.

Liber777
10-14-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm having the same issue. I thought the problem was due to the fact that we're running x64 Enterprise Server instead of XP.

~Stivan

Wireframex
10-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Well I have installed the sentinel beta x64 driver and this is the same ....

Perhaps Liber777 is right ...

Phil

gjjackson
10-14-2005, 01:20 PM
When I installed the driver, per above link, there's another file to install in order for the Sentinel to work properly. It's an inf file and a sys? file. With both done DFX was able to see the dongle. I still don't know if this has anything to do with everyone's problem. It'll be quite a bit later before I'll be able to install. I only have a 32bit system here.

Liber777
10-14-2005, 01:25 PM
How is it possible to make a program ready for download, that has problems on ... i assume all windows 64 bits systems.

I wouldn't worry overly. NewTek will find the issue, fix it, and then it's a simple matter for them to post the new download. Our 64-bit machine is a test system until we know everything is working reliably...

...Stivan!

Chuck
10-14-2005, 01:28 PM
The required operating system is Windows XP Pro x64; it this problem showing up on that OS, or other 64-bit OSes such as server editions?

landman
10-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Chuck
I cant speak for anyone else but I'm using Windows XP Pro x64

I notice that nobody has said they have it working!!

gschrick
10-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Just adding my name to the list, as to find common ground for the problem.

I have a BOXX M4, dual Opteron running Windows XP x64 and I'm getting the same error message. "This installer is only for 64 bit systems".

Didn't NewTek demo the 64 bit version on a BOXX?

Stewdent101
10-14-2005, 01:38 PM
I am running a evaluation copy of Win XP pro x64 service pk 1 with intel processor and am having the same problem the lightwave installer seems to be unable to recognise the OS

anaken1
10-14-2005, 01:53 PM
I am running Windows XP pro 64 bit edition trying to get the lightwave 64 to install. My system is an AMD 64 3200+. I am getting the same error on the lightwave 64 install, where it says the installer is for 64-bit windows only.
I have lightwave 8.5 32bit running, and i have working 64bit sentinal drivers.

I noticed that they are using installshield wizzard, who I think is made by macrovision. I wonder if the problem is in the application used to make the installer? It looks like it also uses java in the installation. Then again it could be using the windows installer platform which would make more sense.

I have been trying to find an updater for the installsheild at www.macrovision.com but I really am not sure what I am looking for.
(The reason i think it is macrovision is that i typed in installshield in google and it brings you to the website www.installshield.com which forwards you to macrovision. their google quote is "InstallShield Software Corporation is the leading provider of installation development tools for all Windows platforms")

I have also done a partial re-install of windows xp 64. Still, the installer thinks i am not running a 64bit version. My 64bit sentinal drivers do work cause I had to run 64bit drivers even for my 32bit lightwave which is working...

Paulifra
10-14-2005, 01:53 PM
system :

Microsoft Windows XP Pro
Professional X64 Edition
Version 2003
Service pack 1

Dual Xenon 3.0
Quadro fx 4400
4 gig ram

Specifications not important, what is important it is a , Standard x64 installation if you order a dell power x64 system.

If it is true what anaken told us, that it is using java, then there are indeed problems, that's the same reason why Zbrush latest version will not install on 64 bits systems, due to java

Wireframex
10-14-2005, 02:25 PM
computer :

Microsoft Windows XP Pro
Professional X64 Edition
Version 2003
Service pack 1

Dual Xeon 3,4 Ghz EMT64 - 4 Go RAM
NVIDIA FX 3000

Phil

P.S. : I have done the last windows update ... always same pb here

Seagull
10-14-2005, 03:11 PM
I have the same problem, my workstation was built for x64 2 dual core, 8G of ram and the only OS that it has ever had on it is XP PRO x64. I did see another thread where some one said they had it working.

Weekend, doubt it will get answered before Monday. :grumpy:

Wireframex
10-14-2005, 03:13 PM
I did see another thread where some one said they had it working.

Wellcome aboard ... 8~

Where did you see this thread ???

Phil

arnjav
10-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Chuck, please provide installation guide for LW8.5x64 version.
There's seem some problems installing it on Windows XP64 computers. I would presume it would be the same as the 32 bit where you don't put the dongle yet and install the software first and just insert it when the installer said so (as this is a full install). This also required new license key.

gjjackson
10-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Well, well, mine didn't work either. I did notice in the taskmanager that the installer is running in 32bit, but I doubt that should make a difference.

Paulifra
10-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Specifications of your system is not important.

Let us look for somebody, that has it working beside newtek.

All what i see is not working, searching the internet is only problems.
Where are those people that has it working ?, maybe they don't post when they are satissfied.

Where are you people ?????, that has a working situation for the LW x64 bits version.

Chuck serious problem here , for a first available download.

Maybe newtek could be better waiting for some time, this all is negative.

Negative is also price drop, price drop , price drop.
What is the intension for newtek, creating new users or loosing old one's???

Seagull
10-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Wellcome aboard ... 8~

Where did you see this thread ???

Phil

In this same area LW Community.....under 'LightWave 64 Dowload Is Ready', by Chuck. Hunter seems to have got as far as having to re-register fo 64.
BUT...... :stumped: he did not confirm if it was up and running.

AbnRanger
10-14-2005, 04:02 PM
The required operating system is Windows XP Pro x64; it this problem showing up on that OS, or other 64-bit OSes such as server editions?
I've been running 8.3 with 64bit dongle driver...no problem...on WinXP Pro x64. Tried to install LW64, and got the very same problem as everyone else here. :thumbsdow

Chuck
10-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Folks, can some of you tell me exactly how you are going about the install - where are you locating the installer file, how are you launching it?

mnemonicimage
10-14-2005, 04:12 PM
I have a BOXX M4, dual Opteron running Windows XP x64 and I'm getting the same error message. "This installer is only for 64 bit systems".

Add my name to the list of it not working with same install error.

8.3 is running with beta drivers for the dongle. But unable to get 8.564 to get past the first screen. Same error as above.

anaken1
10-14-2005, 04:17 PM
Folks, can some of you tell me exactly how you are going about the install - where are you locating the installer file, how are you launching it?

Hi Chuck, I am downloading the file to my D:\downloads directory. Then extract the exe file to the same directory. My lightwave is installed in u:\program files\lightwave [8] ...
I run the install file from d:\downloads\
The installshield wizzard prepares the setup and when the progrss bar reaches the end, it gives the error "The installer is only for 64-bit Windows systems."

I am not sure what other info you want, but let me know for more specifics. I want to help and get it running.

Wireframex
10-14-2005, 04:18 PM

Well, I have just unzip the file in c:\temp directory and launch it that's all

Just a message after : "This installer is only for 64 bit systems"

Phil

hunter
10-14-2005, 04:24 PM
In this same area LW Community.....under 'LightWave 64 Dowload Is Ready', by Chuck. Hunter seems to have got as far as having to re-register fo 64.
BUT...... :stumped: he did not confirm if it was up and running.

I never said I got it running because I'm in the same boat as you guys, ... for 64 bit systems only... You don't need it installed to register it. Oh well, I for one rushed 'em to make it downloadable sooo... Take the weekend off NT. Get some beers and have some fun. Come next week they'll have a working download I bet. :beerchug:

AbnRanger
10-14-2005, 04:24 PM
I did the very same thing as I did LW 8.5 (32 bit). Download to "My Downloads" folder...unzipped to the same folder....then ran the installer. Same result as the others. Zilch! What did Newtek TEST this on? Pretty embarrasing when you can't even reach first base.

Chuck
10-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Just posted:

As discussed here in this forum, some of you have had difficulties with the 64-bit download we posted earlier today. We have opted to remove the download for the weekend so that we can explore this issues and get them rectified. We'll get a new version posted as early as possible next week. Our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

ChristopherJ
10-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Well Newtek would have been entirely incompetent to not have tested their software on SEVERAL computers; surely the problem lies either in a mildly corrupted compression or installer. It's hopefully a simple problem and shouldn't be too hard to fix. Godspeed, Newtek. Godspeed.

edit:
XP x64 Service Pack 1
AMD X2 4GB ram
unzipped/attempted install from desktop

stefostef
10-14-2005, 04:51 PM

where are you locating the installer file?

on the desktop

how are you launching it?

by clicking on it

the process lauch and stop before decompressing with error message post above

i think something is missing in the .msi but i can't open it opened in Orca to found the LaunchCondition

here is a summery of the 4 files found in /temp

{82484A48-1DB2-4F20-BA07-06EC55105552}
bye1D9.tmp\Disk1
isp1DD.tmp
iss1DA.tmp

FrenchW
10-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Hi chuck, tried as many drives/directories as I can. My system is a fresh (20 minutes) Win XP 64 (X64) on an AMD 3400
How i Launch it ? double clic...

roboanarchy
10-14-2005, 06:13 PM
The installer may be checking for Itanium rather than AMD64/EM64T

habaņero
10-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Well, whaddyaknow ... Some days ...

Seems it aint removed from the European site, I just DLd.

I didn't try the install and won't tonight, but there is no reason to believe it works better than the US file.

I guess it won't do difference but did anybody try to specify the installer as 64 bit in the properties of the .exe? (right click-> properties). I mean I don't even know if there is such an option but I just sortof would think there would be troubleshooting options somewhere in xp64. Its cool enough to have it over the weekend though, I am real curious about benchmarks and maybe particle calculations.

Promethius
10-14-2005, 08:18 PM
WOW, this thread grew like a wildfire. Glad I did not try to download and install. I agree that, probably something got messed up in the compile at the last moment or the archiving process. I would bet that a last minute checkin into the code bypass the QA process.

Being in that environment all day, I would know. I compile so much code and than have to test to see all functionality to work is not an easy task. I am sure by next week, things will be calmer. :lwicon: :thumbsup:

FrenchW
10-15-2005, 01:30 AM
Chuck, as the installer doesn't check for anything, why not in the meanwhile, proposing a simple zip file of the LW 8.5 directory PLUS, le 64 sentinel driver ???
That could help us try 8.5 while you check the installer...

anakranism
10-15-2005, 01:37 AM
hi everybody. i downloaded the 8.5 update and installed it on my 32 bit system. now lightwave will only open in discovery mode. i'm too busy with other stuff to reinstall everything, or for that matter really think about it. i'm just kindof mad. anyway, i thought i'd pass on my experience for others.

Paulifra
10-15-2005, 01:40 AM
If this program had be beta tested by Lightwave users, we all did not have this problem now, and newtek would be aware about the problem within one hour.

Most pleasant question to software users, i ever read is : How do you install ?

Give me a kin of feeling so !!! Hey you user maybe you do not know how to install a program.

Radamanthys
10-15-2005, 07:16 AM
I got exactly the same problem, on a frsh installation of Windows XP x64

hardware= athlon 64 4600+

looks like nobody was able to get it install :/

Chuck
10-15-2005, 09:55 AM
If this program had be beta tested by Lightwave users, we all did not have this problem now, and newtek would be aware about the problem within one hour.

Most pleasant question to software users, i ever read is : How do you install ?

Give me a kin of feeling so !!! Hey you user maybe you do not know how to install a program.

That's not what was meant, and looking for offense where none was intended only worsens any situation. The sole purpose was to gather information that might be helpful. Nothing more, nothing less.

gjjackson
10-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Seems always gotta be cheap shots. Anyway, it seems, and I'm not sure, but a problem in the Sentinel driver. If you close via taskmanager and not the dialog box you can view what the install has put in the temp directory. As far as I can tell the Sentinel driver, I Was using, is a 32 bit driver and essentially a patch for use in 64bit. Sentinel did work with DFX though.

I did get an email today that Newtek is shipping the CD. Tracking says it should be here the 19th. I would assume the full install CD wouldn't have the same problem.

I was able to register without installing. So I'm Ready To Go.

The only problem now is, with all the removing and installing, DFx no longer sees the dongle. This is sure keeping me busy. :). What a challenge. :) What was really weird is I removed the Sentinel driver and the sys files and yet DFX would still work, seen the dongle every time. Now it doesn't. All I did was reinstall the Sentinel drivers. Must've missed something somewhere.

Well, I found that the Rainbow USB driver wasn't loaded and Windows wouldn't see it. I had to install it manually. Now DFX works. Now back to checking LW64.

In the temp directory LW looks like it installs the 7.1.1 driver and separately has the 64bit inf and sys files.

xid3d
10-18-2005, 07:58 AM
edit - just talked to LW cust. support and they will RMA my parallel locks for the new 21 century usb dongles.. WOOHOO ! :bowdown: :alien: :bowdown:

Hi all,

Win XP Pro x64 ver. 2003 sp1

Athlon 64 x2 4600+ 2Gb ram.

Logged on to reg page, downloaded lw850win64us.zip

expanded to LightWave3D [8] 8.5 Complete US Win64.exe

double clicked

Nice splash screen, then Newtek Lightwave 3d [8] 8.5 - Installshield Wizard,
then,
"This installer is only for windows 64-bit systems."

Looking forward to seeing it next week. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Way back in the latter part of the 20th century when reverse engineering of alien technology was in its infancy, and copy protection cracking had reached maturity, LW users of the time were blessed with the invention of the parallel hardware lock.

It was really cool because you had to make sure your LPT port settings were ECP and when you got it right it made you feel really smart to achieve that small victory over Bill Gates, (oh yah, and the ebil code crackers).

Well, now we have live aliens helping us to develop new fangled things called USB dongles.

How do we exchage the old 20th century parallel locks for the new modern USB version so that,.... (OH BY THE WAY... hehehe, ah, PARALELLs LOCKs DONT WORK ANY MORE in the 64-bit world... muahahahahah...) :I_Love_Ne

gjjackson
10-19-2005, 05:06 PM
I did get the CD today and it doesn't have the 64bit version on it!!! :thumbsdow

sandman300
10-19-2005, 08:29 PM
I had the same problem on a Iwill box (dual opteron, Win64 pro).The system is brand new, windows is fully updated and I have all the latest drivers (video, chipset, bios). I tried to install first without LW8.3 (didn't work) and then with LW8.3 installed (also didn't work... same results). As far as procedure I double click off of the desktop.

The file that was downloadable from Newtek, is that supposed to be a patch or is it the full program? Seems kindof small.

Oh, I don't know if the dongle works or not (I forgot mine at home) My boss couldn't find his. Friday I'll find out.