PDA

View Full Version : Need Help PLZ- Never had proper training

daveman
10-14-2005, 07:47 AM
I have never been "schooled" in Lightwave 8 but I am getting pretty good with it. I have a problem with a scene though. I have a vehicle and then a person inside of it. Is there a way for me to coordinate their movement without moving both objects separately. Like grouping or something? plz help THX in advance. :help: PS> its MAC Edition

Darth Mole
10-14-2005, 07:54 AM
You can either cut and paste the figure object into a layer in the vehicle object and save them out as a single unit, or parent one to the other in Modeler, using the layers panel, or in Layout: select your figure object, open up the object's Motion panel - press 'm' I think - and then select the vehicle as the parent item.

There are probably a few other methods but I'm not in front of LW at the moment.

And I know this will sound rude, but you really should read the manual. Assuming your version came with one...

ScottSullivan
10-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Daveman, I know how it feels. I learned (or should I say I'm STILL learning) they same way as yourself.

Here's the easiest way I know:

1. Load both objects in Layout
2. Position the person in the car
3. Open Classic Scene Editor (dropdown menu under Scene Editor)
4. Drag the person object to a "sub-level" on your car object

It would end up looking like this:

+ Car
___+Person
+ Light
+ Camera

(ignore the _ underscores.. they are supposed to be spaces)

Sorry for the txt diagram, I don't have it open now either. Darth, I think we were all in his place once.

Cheers!
Scott

Hoopti
10-15-2005, 06:51 PM
If you do this, make sure you have the "Parent in Place" box checked in the Options Panel in Layout or the person will snap to the pivot point of the car.

I usually just open the motion options and select the object from the top I want to parent to. For example, I'd open the motion options for the person and parent it to the car once I have it in place.

Hoop

daveman
10-17-2005, 07:47 AM
Thanx I got it. BtW Darth i am goin through the manual but Im in highschool and i took this class as an independent study and i have to have a working model of our school mascot in this vehicle. Im using the vehicle in the content CD "SCOUT WALKER" and it stomps on a football. I have time restrictions and the manual is sooo long. But how do u think i got far enough to do this? Im tryin man. Its a teach yourself class.

newsvixen8
10-18-2005, 05:07 AM
The manual is great if you already happen to know the words for what you're looking for. When you don't know the words.... that's what this forum is here for. Rock on, daveman...