PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Lightwave Solution For Iraq Deployment

Cobalt
10-14-2005, 06:45 AM
I will be deploying to Iraq in the near future and was considering my options for taking a mobile Lightwave soultion just so my 3D skills don't atrophy.

Has anybody tried the Motion LE 1600 tablet with Lightwave 3D and the Bauhaus Mirage software loaded?

Would Lightwave and other multimedia software work on Microsoft® Windows® XP Tablet PC Edition operating system?

Any input would be great appreciated.

Lightwolf
10-14-2005, 07:33 AM
Would Lightwave and other multimedia software work on Microsoft® Windows® XP Tablet PC Edition operating system?

Yes, it is just a version of XP with a couple of extras.
You should be aware of the fact that the pen/tablet combo can be quite off, by up to 2mm in certain areas, so don't expect anything close to the precision of a wacom... take a mouse with you ;)
Cheers,
Mike

newsvixen8
10-14-2005, 07:45 AM
Stay safe out there, friend Lightwaver!

T-Light
10-14-2005, 11:51 AM
Without a hint at what you'll be doing over there or what kind of accomodation youd be staying in it's difficult to say. If your staying in decent lodgings where your kit will be safe and protected from the environment then any decent laptop/etc will do. If on the other hand you'll be in a tent in the desert then go for something like this puppy.
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=68953&catGroupId=32001&surfModel=Toughbook-29&displayTab=F

Not cheap, but a safer option.

archiea
10-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Yeah, definitly, stay safe over there...

Cobalt
10-14-2005, 04:50 PM
I've seen the Panosonic Toughbooks in our unit. Looks like a great, durable option if you are willing to shell out about $2000 more bucks than your average laptops and Table PC.

I have an older laptop already that I may take. I was interested, however, in the lightweight, touch screen, and extended battery life features common to most Tablet PC's I've read up on.

I've got a about six more weeks to come up with a solution. I appreciate the feedback from you all.

T-Light
10-15-2005, 04:36 AM
OK, if you don't fancy the extra mortgage for a bouncy laptop (I wouldn't), here's some alternatives for keeping the machine protected when you're not using it.

Matias Armor Laptop Cases:-
http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/matias_laptop_armor_cases_review

Samsonite ABS case:-
Saw a Samsonite case a couple of years back, solid as a rock, it had an internal mechanism which 'levered in' to keep the laptop rigid and away from the sides of the case. just had a look for that model and couldn't find it. Here's an alternative
http://www.computerbags.com/genesis.html#

Lowepro:-
I'm a Lowepro addict, will be getting one of these at some point in the near future.
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/allWeather/Stealth_AW_II.aspx

ps if you're still after a new laptop here's some points

1) Have a look at Centrinos, go by the GHz rating for a general idea of speed then multiply by 1.5* (approx) to give you a general equivalent of it's desktop speed (Centrinos are really nippy and terrific on battery life)

2) Additions such as CD/DVD writers are usefull but can sap the battery life

3) Go for the longest battery life you can find. shop around and don't neccessarily trust the manufacturers figures.

4) Having the latest graphics cards installed may allow you to play Doom 3 at full speed but they can be battery killers, match your battery time against the available graphics cards to see what suits you best. If possible, look for a brand name card (ATI/NVidia) with DX9 and at least 64MB dedicated RAM.

5) Find some general reviews of the laptops you like, then check the pro reviews (CNET etc) to see what they're REALLY like.

Have fun shopping:)

EDIT - Had a Sony company laptop a few years ago, kept it in a reasonably padded case and still managed to smash the screen (corners are their weekest points). My latest machine's screen is embedded in a magnesium alloy shell, worth looking out for, It's definetly worth the extra $$.

Dirk
10-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Stay save - and if You can, please keep us updated.

mattc
10-15-2005, 11:13 PM
I've seen the Panosonic Toughbooks in our unit. Looks like a great, durable option if you are willing to shell out about $2000 more bucks than your average laptops and Table PC.

I've got 2 (the smaller one with the touchscreen and the larger full laptop)of these at work for some naval navigation stuff I've been doing. LW runs fairly well on both of them.

M.

Bog
10-16-2005, 05:39 AM
I will be deploying to Iraq in the near future

....and I'm never going to complain about commuting to Hackney, ever again!

The tablet PCs I've played with all seem a little thin in the OpenGL department. The concept of pulling vertices around with a pen is a marvellous one, and does feel great with simple models - complexity rapidly chokes the ickle things. That said, the tablet I was using was a hybridised laptop - the screen opened, rotated 180 degrees and closed back against the keyboard. Pros: You can protect the screen while it's not in use. Cons: More mechanically complex, and not as much space inside for big cpus or gpus.

Luvverly little things, though, and I'm impressed that they're properly pressure sensitive these days (512 levels).

Check six, feller.

hulagirl7
10-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Deploying secret weapon "hypervoxel", no doubt!

God bless you and your family.

I have to say, me and my family (daughter 4 in nov) truly
appreciate your courageous effort to protect us and
keep America, well... America.

Two years ago I was in a lay-over in Charlotte, NC, and the
airport was full of military. As they lined up in the news/gift
shop with their magazines and books, I felt compelled to go
up to the cashier and pay for all of their purchases.
It seemed the LEAST I could do!

Not for anything, except, I wish more people would do this.
Beyond political lines, these people are some of the greatest
Americans we will ever know.

js33
10-17-2005, 01:51 AM
Cobalt,

I don't have any comments on the laptop but as others have said I will say again. Be safe and we, in the US, are all proud and supportive of the troops even if we may not agree on the reason for going.

My brother-in-law just got back last June from a one year tour over there. He is a Major so he spent all his time in the embassy in the green zone. But they did have and continue to have several attacks in that area.

A close friend of mine's son also spent a year over there.

So be safe and hopefully this war will be winding down soon.

Cheers,
JS

Cobalt
10-17-2005, 07:42 AM
Thanks for all of your input on both the technical stuff and the deployment in general.

I'm going to take an old laptop of mine. The only reason the Tablet PC's appealed to me was for 2D painting apps (which I use infrequently anyway).

My reserve unit mobilizes soon, but will not actually be in Iraq until a month or two into the new year. I've heard there are internet cafes at various base camps and look forward to staying in touch with the Lightwave community.

anieves
10-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Deploying secret weapon "hypervoxel", no doubt!

God bless you and your family.

I have to say, me and my family (daughter 4 in nov) truly
appreciate your courageous effort to protect us and
keep America, well... America.

Two years ago I was in a lay-over in Charlotte, NC, and the
airport was full of military. As they lined up in the news/gift
shop with their magazines and books, I felt compelled to go
up to the cashier and pay for all of their purchases.
It seemed the LEAST I could do!

Not for anything, except, I wish more people would do this.
Beyond political lines, these people are some of the greatest
Americans we will ever know.

:dito: What he said!
there will always be evil but also there will always be unselfish ppl like yourself to fight it.

Intuition
10-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Hey Cobalt, I don't think I could say enough words of appreciation for what you are doing.

Is there anything I can do to help? Do you need a copy of F-Prime?

I want to help out since you are embarking on a challenging journey.

Let me know, and God Bless you and others who are proving to be the next "Greatest Generation".

w_will
10-17-2005, 04:34 PM
I took both my dell and my toshiba laptops with me when I went to Bosnia. Both companies were able to fix my machine after seperate incidents. One of which was a drop from the top of a truck in the motorpool. If you don't already have the optional coverage I would consider getting registered using a friend or family members address here in the US. My dad was honest with the folks at Toshiba about how my laptop was damaged and they repaired it and fedex'd it back to him within a week. I think you will be happier with the laptop in the long run. Smaller is better... consider you may end up carrying everything you own for a short period until your unit gets settled, and your laptop should sling over your shoulder along with your weapon and rucksack so think sturdy strap when you look for a case. Don't forget to bring a couple of good books and some good games to keep you occupied. Drop a note when you get your mailing address, and I bet some folks on this list could be convinced to send a care package or two.
Stay safe.

Cobalt
10-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks agian for your support. I did not want to draw attention my upcoming deployment. This will be my first, and hopefully, only deployment to the current campaign in Iraq, while there are other folks I know that have completed multiple tours and are far more deserving of the generous support you offer.

I was primarilly concerned about a long term, mobile Lightwave solution, which I believe I have figured out. I look forward to posting the results of any "free time" Lightwave 3D work while in Iraq.

Semper Lightwave

Chuck
10-17-2005, 04:54 PM
I've heard there are internet cafes at various base camps and look forward to staying in touch with the Lightwave community.

I can confirm that. My son just got back from a year up at Mosul, and the last few months they did get much better access to Internet. You may even be able to get access in your quarters, as they were able to late in their stay.

Keep safe, our thoughts are with you, Cobalt!!

-Chuck

Riplakish
10-17-2005, 07:01 PM
1) Have a look at Centrinos, go by the GHz rating for a general idea of speed then multiply by 1.5* (approx) to give you a general equivalent of it's desktop speed (Centrinos are really nippy and terrific on battery life)

2) Additions such as CD/DVD writers are usefull but can sap the battery life

3) Go for the longest battery life you can find. shop around and don't neccessarily trust the manufacturers figures.

4) Having the latest graphics cards installed may allow you to play Doom 3 at full speed but they can be battery killers, match your battery time against the available graphics cards to see what suits you best. If possible, look for a brand name card (ATI/NVidia) with DX9 and at least 64MB dedicated RAM.

How much is battery life going to count? Small and flexible I can see, but I don't think you'll be rendering in the field :)

I agree a toughbook would probably be the way to go. Most laptops and tablets won't be able to stand up to the stresses that will meet them along the way, and I doubt you'll have a local computer store to drop it off at for repairs.

Knowing your expected environment will help you choose how heavy duty it has to be. Also, be considerate of power differences (voltages, Hz, surges, etc) and be sure to bring the right plugs :)

Cobalt
04-19-2006, 08:00 PM
I've been away from the NT forum for a while but now have fairly frequent internet connectivity.

I'm running Lightwave 8.5 with a Toshiba Tecra and spending my otherwise dull off-duty time with an abundance of Lightwave tutorials and training. Currently finished 1 of 5 DVDs of Todd Grimes Character Animation Training Series.

Look forward to returning to work in the US in about 6 months and transitioning to Lightwave 9!

Until then, take care ...

newsvixen8
04-20-2006, 04:07 AM
We are all with you, friend, :bowdown: and look forward to seeing a posting saying you're on the way home with one tail-kicking demo reel!