PDA

View Full Version : 8.5 favorites

Surrealist.
10-14-2005, 05:11 AM
Funny with all of the hoopla and resultant strange things, I have forgotton to mention a couple of my favorite things about 8.5

Aside from the larger things such as Multishift and 64 bit supprt I have a couple of little things I think have been a long time coming.

1) Select Previous loop and select next loop.

Many times I have wanted this and kept forgetting to ask for it.

2) Default.lws

Nice to be able to create a default scene with all of your settings and put it in the root of the scene directory. Just nice and handy. Though there were other workarounds this is nice and much appreciated.

Thanks, NT for the early xmas. :santa:

What are your favorite 8.5 things?

Anything you discovered?

gjjackson
10-14-2005, 06:12 AM
I must've not been paying attention. I didn't even know about the default scene. I'll have to do more checking into the new features.

Karmacop
10-14-2005, 08:32 AM
That you can go into "Edit menu layout" and actually drag around menu items without renaming them first :)

hrgiger
10-14-2005, 10:50 AM
My favorite things about 8.5 are:

1) After you manually create a polygon, the points are automatically de-selected.

2) It's one step closer to 9.0

mkiii
10-14-2005, 01:38 PM
My favourite thing is that you can replace modeler with an old version, but it still has Multishift & the extra keystrokes.

GregMalick
10-14-2005, 03:40 PM
extra keystrokes???? :question:

Do you mean extra keyboard shortcuts?

cresshead
10-14-2005, 04:46 PM
the cost of ownership for 8.5... :thumbsup:

cinema, maya, xsi and 3ds max charge for 0.5 updates....

newtek staff are most excellent people :lwicon: :agree: :lwicon:

evenflcw
10-14-2005, 05:41 PM
I'll agree with hrgiger.
My favorite feature of 8.5 is that "it's one step closer to 9.0".

roboanarchy
10-14-2005, 05:48 PM
I can lasso the points at the top of a cylinder (i.e. I don't have to select them in order anymore) and hit make poly and it doesn't scramble the poly.

hrgiger
10-14-2005, 06:49 PM
I can lasso the points at the top of a cylinder (i.e. I don't have to select them in order anymore) and hit make poly and it doesn't scramble the poly.

That was my favorite before 8.5 too.

Weetos
10-14-2005, 06:59 PM
I really like the default.lws stuff and the new PS-like blending modes in the texture editor - more options is always a good thing :)

the new F9 is cool too , it used to render the current frame, now it renders the current frame ... and crashes - very annoying, and I can't figure out why. grrrr Sorry for this ironic stuff, I'm just getting bored trying to render a scene that worked fine with 8.3

I'm gonna try to make the clean install of 8 and then upgrade to 8.5 - hope this will fix it :rolleyes:

Panikos
10-14-2005, 07:32 PM
I liked the Photoshop Blending modes

As far as the new OpenGL Hardware shading, I am sorry to write that I have them off cause they make LW a less-animation app.

For animation I use Messiah, unparalleled playback speed.
For rendering I use FPrime, unparalleled rendering speed.

I use LW as a mediator :)

archiea
10-14-2005, 09:32 PM
I like the "Make Hrgiger sing praises for Newtek" feature in 8.5.... :neener:

I'm sorry hrgiger.. I couldn't resist that one... Just kidding.... :D

T-Light
10-15-2005, 03:56 AM
Have to report 'LESS CRASHING'.

Was working on a scene over last weekend and had about four crashes with a particular scene. It's been stable since 8.5 :)

Oh, and all of the above.

Tima
10-15-2005, 08:14 AM
my favorites stuff is photoshop blending tool, and default.lws.

Tiger
10-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Multishift & Select Nth are really cool :)

maxxwv
10-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Something I just noticed that I think is new to 8.5 - open viper. Do a full preview. Render viper. Now, do a partial render in viper - instead of showing partial geometry (which it has done in the past), viper now shows the full geometry from the previous preview render. I'm guessing (tho I haven't tested this) that as long as the geometry or camera hasn't changed, it keeps that info in buffer. That's cool in my book!

And now, to be fair and impartial, I also just realized that my install of 8.5 didn't add the new plug-ins by itself. I had to re-scan my entire plug in directory to make things like MultiShift and the Select Next (and Previous) Layer show up. Not a biggie, just kinda irritating...

lw3d23
10-15-2005, 05:30 PM
what is default.lws? where can I find it? :confused:

Surrealist.
10-15-2005, 09:09 PM
what is default.lws? where can I find it? :confused:

Open Layout and make all your favorite settings, such as light types and camera resolution basic stuff that you normaly frst change when you open layout and want to render something. Or if you have a project where you need basic settings to start but need a blank scene otherwise or anything you want actually.

Then you save the scene in the scene folder as default.lws

lightwave will then automatically look there for a scene of this name and load it when you start lightwave.

Great way to get the settings you want at start up.

In the past you had to edit the config file or just open layout from a scene you have saved. A few other options were and are still available but this is much easier.

You could have several "default" scenes too. One easy way to organize it would be to have a folder called default scenes and then have a series of them by number default01.lws default02.lws etc. or you could name them even more specifically. lightsetup.lws or saveanim.lws or saveframs.lws. Whatever. Then you would just copy that scene into the root portion of the scene folder and rename it to default.lws This way you coulkd switch back between projects.

The only other thing to remember is that this is the scene folder in whatever directory you have the content manager pointed to. Just incase you shoud change that.

Exception
10-16-2005, 01:17 PM
1) After you manually create a polygon, the points are automatically de-selected.

This was already the case in 8.3. It is the new 'Make Poly' command. The old 'Make Polygon' command is still available. The thing is, that they replaced the 'p' shortcut to reflect the other command. The problem is, that the new command doesn't always work. It uses a new algorith that makes it possible to select points out of order and it attempts to make a proper polygon. I have the new command fail on me time and time again (it just doesn't do anything), so I mapped the old command under 'u' so I can quickly make the polygon anyway if the new command fails.
Just so you know, and don;t get frustrated when it fails with you : )