PDA

View Full Version : Let's hope this is right!

Darth Mole
10-14-2005, 02:45 AM
From Think Secret:

New Power Macs expected soon

October 14, 2005 - A revision to Apple's Power Mac G5, rumored for a month now, should finally emerge next week with three configurations, sources have indicated.

The high-end Power Mac is expected to top $3,000. While exact specifications could not be confirmed, the high-end model is likely to feature dual dual-core PowerPC 970MP processors, while the low-end and mid-range Power Macs may pack dual single-core processors or single dual-cores.

DDR2 memory and PCI-Express video cards, as previously reported and featured on the new iMac G5, are also expected to find their way into the new Power Macs. The new systems are expected to start shipping in quantity in about three weeks, like new iMacs, sources said.

While release dates for hardware revisions are often subject to change, sources believe -- at time of publication -- that the new G5 is set for announcement next week.

... Anyone fancy an 11.2GHz G5 for their rendering? :)

Darth Mole
10-14-2005, 05:13 PM
It is!!

Posted at MacWorld.com:
Apple Computer is once again gathering the press together as it rolls out new innovations. The latest invitation-only event will be held in New York City on October 19, 2005 on the eve of PhotoPlus Expo. Apple doesn't say exactly what the press conference will be about, but the invitation sent to MacCentral asks to join them as "we unveil Apple's latest pro innovations."

This will be the third special product focused event that Apple has held in just over a month. On September 7, Apple launched the iPod nano and just this week they unveiled the video iPod and new iMac.

The event was previously rumored for release of updates to the Power Mac and Powerbook lines.

archiea
10-14-2005, 09:40 PM
here's some more juicy bits!!!

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0510power.html

Darth Mole
10-15-2005, 03:55 AM
Despite a bank balance hovering around the zero mark, if there's dual-dualies on offer, I'm gonna be signing up on Wednesday evening. My rev1 dual 2GHz is getting long in the tooth!

Meshbuilder
10-15-2005, 10:47 AM
"Apple Computer is once again gathering the press together as it rolls out new innovations.
The latest invitation-only event will be held in New York City on October 19, 2005 on the eve of PhotoPlus Expo.
Apple doesn’t say exactly what the press conference will be about, but the invitation sent to MacCentral asks to join
them as “we unveil Apple’s latest PRO innovations.”

Weepul
10-15-2005, 05:03 PM
After a bit of a letdown about the Oct. 12 event (well, because I didn't know ahead of time it was for consumer stuff :p) I'm giddy again. :D

I've been looking for a new comp to replace my dual 1.25 MDD G4 that'll carry me to, and if needed, beyond the Intel transition...here's hoping!

djtoltz
10-16-2005, 12:26 PM
I just noticed this recently.

Using LW 8.5 on 10.4.2, Dual 2Ghz G5 Powermac...

Rendering with 4 threads takes 2-3 times longer than rending with a single thread.

I didn't notice this when running LW 8.3. I'd appreciate it if someone could verify what I'm seeing.

What good is a dual dual processor, if I have to use ScreamerNet to utilize 2+ processors, and ScreamerNet doesn't support some rendering features (e.g. Sasquatch Lite) ??

(p.s. this is sort of a re-post, but before I call tech support, I was hoping someone else could verify my findings)

toby
10-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Are you saying that the very same scene renders 2-3 times slower? Some scenes render fastest with one thread, and things like Hypervoxels can take 5 times longer with multi-threading on.

meanlebh
10-16-2005, 03:06 PM
I have a dual 2ghz g5 and i have not noticed this at all, this is only the case when you are using something in the scene that is not multithreaded, such as hypervoxels....but i believe that this happens on all systems...even pcs. With 8.5 i have actually noticed, as others have as well, that some of my scenes actually render about twice as fast as they did in 8.3...

-Brian

djtoltz
10-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Ok, then. Thanks for the responses. Yes, the scene I've been working feverishly on does use Hypervoxels. As a professional software developer, I am a little perplexed by the performance degradation when using Hypervoxels with multiple threads, but having an explanation for this behavior will help me pick the correct settings for each scene.

Thanks, again.

toby
10-16-2005, 04:30 PM
Sorry to bounce you back and forth, but Hypervoxels are multi-threaded. Just watch your Activity viewer and you'll see both procs working hard, and you'll see HV in the different threads at the same time. It just takes so long to split HV data and for the proc to communicate during the render, ( so my theory goes ) that if your render doesn't take very long, it's not worth the trouble.

You can think of multi-threading as the kind vehicle you'd take for a given trip. 1 thread for walking across the street, 8 threads for taking a train to the next state. Taking a train to cross the street is probably the slowest way possible :)

Ade
10-16-2005, 06:31 PM
They should worry bhoutt their OS before they hype their hardware.
OSX sux for 3d, no ogl 2 or 64bit ui.

toby
10-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Lightwaves' use of OpenGL 2 and 64 bit are still just novelties, not life-savers or even problem-solvers. I wish people would stop freaking out that they can't have the freshest-latest toys.

Darth Mole
10-17-2005, 01:42 AM
Lightwaves' use of OpenGL 2 and 64 bit are still just novelties, not life-savers or even problem-solvers. I wish people would stop freaking out that they can't have the freshest-latest toys.

Well said! Couldn't agree more. I doubt not being OGL2 or 64-bit will stop me from doing anything I did before. However, a faster machine (to get back on topic) would be much more useful!

BazC
10-17-2005, 02:32 AM

Agreed but it would be a BIG help if they could get OGL up to Windows speeds, it sounds as though they are making serious efforts in this direction though. - Baz

archiea
10-17-2005, 04:32 AM
Well said! Couldn't agree more. I doubt not being OGL2 or 64-bit will stop me from doing anything I did before. However, a faster machine (to get back on topic) would be much more useful!

Well, it may stop me from getting a G5... 5 mean considering that a proper intel mac may not be out for a year and a half, it seems like a long wait for a 64bit openG3 2.0 mac...

Darth Mole
10-17-2005, 05:06 AM
But do you need these features? I mean, really?

swpspce
10-17-2005, 08:02 AM
Agreed but it would be a BIG help if they could get OGL up to Windows speeds, it sounds as though they are making serious efforts in this direction though. - Baz

where exactly did this "sound" you heard come from? Could you point me to these sounds...

from what I have read/researched/ or seen - there is no indication that Apple would be improving their OpenGL implemetation in the lifespan of mac OS X.4. Most likely, you will see OpenGL 2.0 in X.5 (seriously).

Apple is busy, busy trying to convince themselves that this transition to the Intel platform was announced at the right time and is justified. As we have heard from the CEO the Myth around GHz/Platform is back on - ironically it was he who dispelt it in 2003.

just my 2cents...I would like to believe otherwise