PDA

View Full Version : Help with UV mapping.

sonofmickel
10-13-2005, 11:40 PM
This has got to be something I am overlooking. Most likely. Check out my images and my problem will probably slap someone in the face-me! I am trying to export an eps UV map for editing in photoshp. This is from a Leigh van der Byl tutorial. I choose UV Texture for my top L viewport, then I choose File/export/export eps/ choose view/Texture UV and then - my head explodes. I save the file to a secure place on my hardrive and then open the eps in photoshop. The problem is that the WHOLE screen is made into an eps. The second problem is that it is rasterized when imported to Photoshop (probably a stupid setting?). If this turns out to be stupid simple, then maybe I should stick to my old job of stuffing kleenex boxes.
Lets get this LW program on the right Newtek! :lightwave

I ONLY want the Top Left UV map to export, not the whole screen. Can LW do this?

Silkrooster
10-14-2005, 12:38 AM
You have most of it done. Now create a new layer and set the background color for that layer. You can temporaraly set the layer to a transparent value just enough, so you can see the lines from the eps you imported. Now create as many layers as needed. When you are done, make sure that second layer is opaque and export all the layers to tga, tif, or psd. Since the second layer is opaque you won't see the lines from the eps file on your object.
Hope this helps
Silk

Surrealist.
10-14-2005, 12:41 AM
You know what? I never use this feature but I can tell you what will get you half way there. If you hit 0( zero on the keypad) when your mouse is over the viewport with the UV you can have it fill the screen. It might at least export that.

No answer for the raster prob though.

I always just hit the print screen button and then paste into a photoshop file. I know she suggestes to use the exporter but I really don't see why. It is just a reference file. True it can be a little jaggy but if your screen is big it is usually big enough to use as a referece - for me anyway.

I do the same thing. I just make the viewport fill the screen then hit 0.

Thats seems to be enough for me then I just crop the rest of the screen in PS.

Just saw silk beat me to it. And then what he said. :)

philipsavage
10-15-2005, 06:22 AM
A handy way of create a UV map template is to use a plugin called uv imaginator, download from Flay.com.
Photoshop will not display a vectored file such as an eps because it is raster based. The idea of importing vectored files is that you are able to set the requiired size and resolution of the vectored image so that it renders at that size without loss.

Silkrooster
10-15-2005, 06:52 PM
In the export eps box select Texture UV for the view and remove the check box from draw grid. Then you will have just the uv map.
Silk

Rory_L
10-15-2005, 09:02 PM
The Layout shader plugin Surface Baker has its advantages. If you temporarily turn your object's surfaces all to white and leave the background at its default black, turn on anti aliasing in the plugin's options panel and save the file as a tga or some other type that has an alpha channel, you not only get anti aliased wireframes of the size you stipulate, but also you get a ready made matte mask for your polys, something you'd otherwise have had to draw by hand in Photoshop!

Other than that, I'd go with UV Imaginator.

Cheers,

R