PDA

View Full Version : 8.? measure tool.

Surrealist.
10-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Don't know if I have ever nioticed this as I am always in metric. But being in the US and since all my my like I have done carpentry in english system. It is easy for me to design archetecture this way so I decided to switch over.

Much to my surprise I found that when using the measure tool vertically in an ortho view it alwas displayes feet and inches rather than inches if I have it set to inches.

A minor thing but it would be nice if consistant. Don't know what version this started as I was not using inces before.

Edit: Sorry I have a bad display but this is worse. It does not show inches (only) at all.

EDIT 2: OK maybe the measure tool never did this, I don't remember, in which case...lame.

T-Light
10-13-2005, 06:48 PM
:agree:

Weird, none of them seem to work. I tend to work in SI and just changed the default meters to mm, no change there either. At least it understands the overall units (ie feet to meters) etc.

Silkrooster
10-13-2005, 08:07 PM
:agree: I guess this can be posted as a bug. Changing units does not seams to work This includeds the box tool. So I am assuming all measurements are effected.
Silk

Snosrap
10-13-2005, 11:25 PM
Lightwave has been like this as far back as I can remember. It's not really a bug, but it's not very intuitive either. (e.g.1010 mm's becomes 1.01meters and 13.5 inches becomes 1 ft 1.5 inches.) It would be nice if there was an option to force it to stay in mm, inches or whatever. Also it would be nice if there was a way to switch between mm and inches without going into the Display menu all the time. As a product designer I use LW everyday and we design in mm, but your marketing department wants dimensional data in inches, so it would be nice if it was easy to switch between the two from the main interface.

Cheers
Snos

Silkrooster
10-13-2005, 11:35 PM
I guess I have not noticed it before, but if this is true, then why do they have inchs and feet in the display panel? It certainly is not needed in the object panel as it auto converts anyways. Seams like it would be for display purposes when creating objects and measuring. Hmmm. very odd.
Silk

Surrealist.
10-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Wow, you guys are right it is the same throughout. In fact I have not found a place that actually displays inches meeters whatever- have not looked very extensively but not even in the info area at bottom left when you move the mouse around. So if it is for display. Then display what? :D