PDA

View Full Version : DF vs After Effects

e2_
05-05-2003, 07:38 PM
I have been using After Effects a lot (since version 3.1 I think), but lately I have grown sick and tired of its messy interface when handling large compositings. So now I have started looking for something else.

I have been trying out the demo versionof DF, and it seems great. Still got a lot to learn before I can do the same stuff in DF as I can do in AE.

But bedore we buy it, I need to have a good answear to this: What makes DF better than AE, and why should I start using DF instead of AE?

BTW Im using LW for all my 3d renderings as well

Flywaver
05-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Hey,

I use AE 5.5 Pro, combustion 2.1 and now DFX+ 4 with all modules except the net render and I must say both C2 and DF are far superior to AE. Although, AE is by far the easiest to get started with, it's got loads of tutorials/books, plugins and such but once you get used with C2 and DF you won't look back! :D

In regards to comparisons, DF offers so much more controls over CC, keying, has built-in particles and so on. Just check the list of features: http://www.eyeonline.com/products/digital_fusion/digital_fusion.html

In regards to 3D comp, it can work with LW quite nicely...and Fusioneers has a plugin that makes it easier to interact with LW scenes! :)

I am very late in my DF review but it should be online soon, I will compare it to C2 and AE a bit...will probably help you out in your decision. :)

Cheers!

Liber777
05-21-2003, 12:47 PM
I can't wait to read your review. I'm currently evaluating the demo for Digital Fusion 4.02 and I just downloaded the Combustion 2.1 demo.

Warmest,
Stivan

Flywaver
05-21-2003, 01:34 PM
Cool, will make sure it's from an AE/C2 user...I used a LOT more AE but I tend to like C2 and now DF a lot more! :)

Cheers!

Liber777
05-27-2003, 11:20 AM
I am *really* liking the demo of Digital Fusion. The more I work with it the more I'm astounded by its capabilities. And the Fusioneer's Gaia program looks fantastic as well with its 3D compositing capabilities and ability to bring in Lightwave objects.

Now I just need a project to justify and pay for all the toys!

Flywaver
05-27-2003, 02:28 PM
Hey,

Glad you like the demo! :D

Yeah we just added an interview of Fusioneers, Gaia3D and Dot-s both look very nice indeed!

I went back to C2 today, until I can pay my DFX+ license...can't afford the full DF and we would only need it for high end VFX so no worries for now! :)

Cheers!