PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever shot IMAG in the round?

jsanfilippo
10-12-2005, 08:29 PM
I know... this isn't a VT 4 question, but I've seen in the past some great discussion just about video techniques in general... so I thought I'd ask...

anyone ever shot IMAG for a live event in the round? I'll be doing this for the first time in a month, and would love any tips in terms of camera placements, dealing with background issues (audience in bg), etc.

Any DVDs of events that are recommended to see results?

Thanks!

PIZAZZ
10-13-2005, 09:36 AM
I know... this isn't a VT 4 question, but I've seen in the past some great discussion just about video techniques in general... so I thought I'd ask...

anyone ever shot IMAG for a live event in the round? I'll be doing this for the first time in a month, and would love any tips in terms of camera placements, dealing with background issues (audience in bg), etc.

Any DVDs of events that are recommended to see results?

Thanks!

We have done this in the past and it is definitely challenging.

Best suggestions I can make:
1. Use as many cameras as possible - 4-5 or more
2. If you do not want the audience in the shots then light up the stage more with lighting around the stage.
3. Use a Jib arm and operator to improve the possibilities. We try to always hide the camera operators out of the way above the audience shooting downish or on the floor right at the stage for close ups.
4. Make sure you have plenty of movement space around the edge of the stage.
5. Watch the show "Who wants to be a millionaire" for shot ideas. They have a nice way of doing the in the round look.

jsanfilippo
10-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks Jef for the input.

We are planning, at this point, to run 6 cameras. 4 on sticks and 2 handhelds.

The stage is a diamond, with a small circular raised platform in the center.

I was thinking of putting 1 camera along each side of the diamond. The problem is that doesn't give me 2 cameras with good angles on the speaker at all times. It will often give me 1 good head-on or slight angle, and 1 hard profile, and 2 from behind.

The handhelds are for music only. I may put them on sticks on two "points" of the diamond during speaking sessions.

I've never tried to call 6 cameras before. I've done 4 max. I can't imagine calling 6... it's gonna be all i can do to keep up. I work with camera ops who are used to having every single direction called to them... its not like watching the U2 Elevation DVD, Director's view.... he rarely tells them what to shoot - he just tells them HOW to shoot. He's more like a cheerleader! :)
:)

radams
10-14-2005, 12:10 AM
If you can put your most experienced Camera ops on the roving camera's thus they can get opportunity shots for you...and have one or two emergency based shots to go back to...allowing you and the crew to catch your breath...try to give them zones and ideas of opportunity shots you would want up front...once you catch your rhythem you'll be fine...

Good Luck ;)

Hey do you need an experienced Camera Op ;)

Or a few ;)

Cheers,

radams
10-14-2005, 12:14 AM
Here's another crazy idea...If you can put some low end camera direct to a monitor so you can see ALL the action going on...also make a floor diagram and camera positions and post it next to it...But once you get your feel you won't need it but it helps to get started and if there are things going on you didn't expect.

Cheers,

jsanfilippo
10-17-2005, 11:19 AM
Hey - I appreciate all the suggestions! Ray - do I need an experienced Camera op? Sure.... but the event is in Toronto - and it doesn't pay well enough to cover airfare! :)

jamie

Keith Nealy
10-18-2005, 05:13 AM
If you need some drop me an email. I just finished editing the ironman in Hawaii and a couple of great camera guys guys on my team were from up that way.

aloha,

Keith

jsanfilippo
10-18-2005, 09:44 AM
If you need some drop me an email. I just finished editing the ironman in Hawaii and a couple of great camera guys guys on my team were from up that way.

aloha,

Keith

Keith,

I don't see your email address anywhere. I could use a lead on 1 good cam op in the toronto area. Please email me. Address is listed below.

Thanks for the lead.

jamie

Keith Nealy
10-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Sorry, I thought I included it. The Ironman was a blur and I need some sleep but I sent you three camermen via your email. Any of these guys would be great and they also know everybody up there so they will be able to help you find someone if they can't do it..

Good luck,

aloha,

Keith

rrrenna
10-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Hey - I appreciate all the suggestions! Ray - do I need an experienced Camera op? Sure.... but the event is in Toronto - and it doesn't pay well enough to cover airfare! :)

jamie
Jamie,

If you need some help email me. I'm in T.O.

Rocco Renna
Creative Services
McDonald's Restaurants of Canada

[email protected]