PDA

View Full Version : tmpgenc and VT3

tbonekel
10-12-2005, 06:49 PM
I have read many articles relating to TMPGenc and understand that's the way to create DVD ready files. I'm having problems getting it to work. I installed TMPGenc and then ran the 3rd party installer. I tried to load several of the projects I have created with no luck. I always get the error "file "X:\xxxx.VT-Edit Project" can not open, or unsupported". There is, however a test project that I edited several months ago using the example footage that came with my VT3. That project worked. My projects that are not working are using DV compressed files I captured. I have disk space issues so I have to capture a compressed image. Can someone help me? Thanks.

robewil
10-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Are you running TMPGEnc 2.5 or 3? It is 2.5 that the 3'rd party installer will recognize.

ScorpioProd
10-13-2005, 01:40 AM
Also note that there were a number of bugs in the VT[3] plug-in, all of which have been fixed in the VT[4] 4.5 one.

Randall Chesbro
10-13-2005, 04:33 AM
Iv been trying to get it to work in vt4.5 but still nothing. tryed saving it as an avi project, toaster 3 . vtp and whatever els they have. iv run the thierd party program it says it finds the program but nothing. the avi will look like its going to work but it shows up as black on the little monitor.?

wvp
10-13-2005, 06:00 AM
If you cannot get the plug-in to work you can render out your project (to an avi) & import that into TMPGEnc. Its certainly more of a pain, but as ScorpioProd said their were issues with the plugin working with some of the VT3 builds.

Randall -- not sure about your problem, I'll have to look into that. Perhaps you are using some 3rd party VT plug-ins that causes this? You should check the plug-in list in TMPGEnc and make sure the VT is listed and setup. Might try deleting TMPGEnc and re-installing, mkae sure you have the latest build (I assume your using v2.5) Save any templates you made before uninstalling.

tbonekel
10-13-2005, 06:57 AM
I am running version 2.5. That's what the other posts said to run. This is the first time I have read that VT3 may not work correctly. There are several other posts from people with VT3's that use it flawlessly. I guess I will have to render it.

That brings up another question that may be off topic. If I am capturing in NTSC DV format, there is immediatly some compression of course. When I render to .avi, that is compressing it more, correct? My program is about 1 hour long, so the .avi ends up being about 12gb in size. What does TMPGenc do with it at that point?

robewil
10-13-2005, 10:30 AM
I, for one am on VT[3] and have never had a problem with TMPGEnc.

That brings up another question that may be off topic. If I am capturing in NTSC DV format, there is immediatly some compression of course. When I render to .avi, that is compressing it more, correct? My program is about 1 hour long, so the .avi ends up being about 12gb in size. What does TMPGenc do with it at that point? When you say "render to .avi", what codec are you referring to? You can render back to a DV avi file with minimal loss. If you are going that route, load the DV avi file into TMPGEnc and render out elementary streams (m2v and wav) files.

ScorpioProd
10-13-2005, 03:10 PM
If you do render it out, be sure to choose Type-2 DV and not Type-1 DV. Type-1 DV requires the VT plug-in in order for TMPGEnc to read it, so if you can't read a VT project in TMPGEnc, you won't be able to read that project rendered to Type-1, either.

Type-2 can be read native by TMPGEnc.

The plug-in for VT[3], depending on which version, since there were several, had a number of issues. These ranged from problems with subprojects, audio, cropping and black border issues.