PDA

View Full Version : Surface Baker questions

ateale
10-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi Guys,

I am trying to do a camera fly through of the interior of a church (lit from the sun outside).
I'd like it to look nice an RADIOSITY rendered, but the render time will kill me.
I was looking into using the Surface baker, but it looks like a pain in the arse to set up seeing as not many of the objects in my scene use UVs.
Any way, I was hoping to find someone who could shed some light on the topic, and suggest if I should go with "Bake to Image" or "Bake to Object"

I saw something about an Ambient Occlusion plguin, but I am ona Mac (G5) and it doesn't appear available for OSX.

Thanks Guys!

Adam

ateale
10-12-2005, 05:56 PM
SG_AmbOcc seems to have solved what I am looking for!

cgolchert
10-12-2005, 05:56 PM
If the object have enough geometry you might be able to bake the lighting into a vmap. Low point counts will give you a low resolution vmap though.

pixym
10-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Hi all,

The baking way seems to be the good way.
I am working on a baking process in order to make an animation inside a Cultural center, so I have begun with a Paolo Zambrini tutorial made for kray but it can be applied to LW standard surface baker shader.
The Link (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=281673)

Baking luminosity, color and shadow do not allow you to change the lighting, but baking only the GI in the color channel allows some lighting change.
This is what I did in my test today:

Turn off Hyper-threading and set number of thread to 1 for your computer (if INTEL P4 or Xeon based)

In the modeler:

- hide all reflective and transparent surfaces
- create an UV atlas map for the object you want to bake
- make a copy of this object on a single layer
- triangulate (or quadrangulate) all faces with more than 4 sides of this copy
- type "q" to give a white surface (White for example) to all faces of this copy
- in the Surface Editor select White surface
- select the shader tab and put Surface Baker shader
- select Bake to image, Bake Diffuse, Bake illumination (I think to can also bake color)
- select the name of the UV atlas map
- type a resolution from 1024 to 1536 (that depends on the side of the objects seen by the camera)
- select an Image Type (avoid those who give you alpha channel...)
- type the Image Base Name in the correct folder (avoid tga file format or any format that generatee alfa channel)
- select Antialiasing (you can by pass it for the test)
- you can turn on shadow noise reduction if you want
- close the Surface Baker pannel
- save you file model and send this object with its layers to layout

In the layout:
- select a white background
- turn off affect diffuse, affect specular and affect caustic
- set radiosity to backdrop only or montecarlo (if inside) 3x9 is a mimimum
- select the layer of the original object and hit "p" to have the properties
- in the rendering tab turn on Unseen by camera and Unseen by ray
- hit F9 to render then the baking process begins, (this may takes minutes or more)
- when finished you can stop the still rendering but in order to be sure to have the good illumination it is better to let it go
- when finished you can see the texture map that coorespond to the uv atlas
- select the object copy (baked object) and in the rendering tab turn on Unseen by ray and Unseen by camera
- select the the original object and turn off Unseen by ray and Unseen by camera
- go to the Surface Editor and assign the UV map in the Color channel using multiply
(put the GI map at the top of all the other textures) You must to this for all the surface you want to have GI
- set luminosity to 65% (or more or less that will depend on the lighting)
- you can also go in the Image Editor then edit the gamma for the uv atlas map in order to add contrast
- save the object or better all object
- turn on affect diffuse and specular for the sun light
- put a raytrace or shadow map shadow...
- turn off radiosity
- turn on AA pld 5 pass
- set camera to PAL or NTSC
- hit F9 and see the result in a very short time
- you can tweak the sun light intensity and luminosity value for all surfaces...

Et voila :)