PDA

View Full Version : VT2 input wacked out!

Keith Gandy
10-12-2005, 02:26 PM
We are assembling our third VT unit, this is the first with XP. So far, all attempts at a decent input are nothing but crappy signals - composite, s-video or component. Attached is a sample image, plus a color bar setting - maybe someone has an idea why this is so terrible.

The build is on a Supermicro P4DC6 board, dual 1,7s, 1gig memory. As stated, the platform this time around is XP, not Win2000. The VT2 card is sitting in a 64mhz slot. Multiple cables have been attempted, multiple cameras. Both NTSC and PAL.

Any video produced with After Effects or on the Toaster editor is completely fine. Only the live video input is wack. This unit is not using the SX8 - if that makes any difference.

Is this more of a problem with XP (requiring an installation of Win2K) or does the card need to go to Toasterland for a little TLC from the boys at Newtek?

Jim_C
10-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Put the card in a 32bit slot.

Keith Gandy
10-12-2005, 02:54 PM
It was in the last 32bit slot, but had exactly the same image. I moved it to the 64bit slot - no change. All the other cards we've ever installed have always gone in the 64bit slot, just to give them priority.

Change it back to 32bit? Or are there other ideas?

Zane Condren
10-12-2005, 03:13 PM
There is no advantage to putting a VT Card in a 64bit slot. In fact if you have a raid controller in a 64 bit slot it will acutally hurt performance by having the VT card on the 64 bit buss. For best results the disk controller and VT card need to be on seperate busses :newtek:

Ivan
10-12-2005, 03:32 PM
First guess is cables but you tried that. What vidoe card is in the machine? XP should not cause this. Call tech support, you may need to send it home for a touch up.

Ivan

Keith Gandy
10-13-2005, 02:31 AM
Ivan,

the video card is a Geforce 5200.

By the way, those verticle blue lines are on the toastervision monitor, even if no image is being input (composite, s-video or component). When it is on black or a computer generated section, then those lines disappear.

By the way, I moved the card back to a 32bit slot. No change.

Help!

Ivan
10-13-2005, 04:07 AM
The 5200 should be fine for the VT, I know a number of systems have this with no problem. You could try to downgrade the driver to an earlier version but I really don't think this is your problem.

If the lines are there even with no input you should be able to remove all the cables to eliminate them as a possible source. If the lines are still there it is likely the card will need to make a trip to Texas. Call support and see if they feel any differently but I'm guessing that an RMA is in order.

Ivan

Jim_C
10-13-2005, 04:27 AM
Can you temporarily put the board in another machine and see if the problem follows it. Also see if a different board in that machine causes the same problem?

Jim

Keith Gandy
10-13-2005, 06:49 AM
OK, I attempted to see if the card would work in our other unit. Putting it into a VT3 required a core update, which registered as fine. Once VT3 booted it stated that a video conflict was evident - no input whatsoever.

Then I took the card back out and put it in the original unit - the VT2. I ran the core update again to retro it back to the VT2 unit. The video input works, but it is the exact same as before - vertical blue bars.

Inputting color bars does not produce anything close to a readable output on the scope.

I guess this means calling support in the great lone star Republic?

Paul Lara
10-13-2005, 07:09 AM
I guess this means calling support in the great Lone Star Republic?

We're a state now, but yes, get with Tech Support.