PDA

View Full Version : ATI vs Nvidia vs Other

MiniFireDragon
10-12-2005, 10:27 AM
I was just browsing through the Bug workshop and noticed alot of problems exist for users of ATI cards. I am curious as to how many people are using ATI, Nvidia or Other. That's all I am interested in, so reply with one of the 3 options.

silverlw
10-12-2005, 10:34 AM
ATI radeon 9550 here

Elmar Moelzer
10-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Hey MiniFireDragon!
All Nvidia only here.
Btw, why didnt you make this a poll?
CU
Elmar

Elmar Moelzer
10-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Ok that should work now, glad you found the button to make a poll :)
CU
Elmar

ursa
10-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Nvidia on all four of my systems :thumbsup:

T-Light
10-12-2005, 12:25 PM
ATI on ALL of my systems :bangwall:

ablc
10-12-2005, 12:27 PM
ATI here and some atiogl.dll errors...

Virtual Mind
10-12-2005, 04:21 PM
ATI X800XT here, the card that they forgot about. I got mine about 4 days before the X850XT came out for the same price, I was so pissed. Going to be running Cat 5.9s soon, once I get the HD replaced on my desktop. As for this laptop (ibookG4 800), a Radeon 9200 32mb, most definitely not for lightwave, need to get a powerbook!

Jim_C
10-12-2005, 04:27 PM
What would 'other' be?

Nicolas Jordan
10-12-2005, 04:29 PM
I have a Nvidia GeForce 5200 128MB.

Scott_Blinn
10-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Home: Nvidia 6800 GT Ultra w/ 256mb RAM (AGP)

Work: Nvidia 7800 GTX w/ 256mb RAM (PCI-E)

T-Light
10-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Jim_C

What would 'other' be?
Onboard Intel :help:

prospector
10-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Was all NVidia (last year)
Now all ATI
got better results with the newer ATI (X800s) than previous NVidia (Ti4200s)

Till now :grumpy:

but will keep bugging ATI for driver updates to get back on top again :hey:

MiniFireDragon
10-13-2005, 08:12 AM
What! All these views and less that votes?? What ya'll doin?

As for ATI being Better then Nvidia and vice versa... It's always gonna be back and forth. Nvidia launches kick *** card, ATI servers up one better... back and forth back and forth. I am trying to descern who is actually getting more attention with this poll as some of the mags u pick up off the shelf are opinionated.

The current stance I have right now is that Nvidia is the only company that actually supports Both DirectX and OpenGL well. And since I use both languages in my work, I need a card that does both. I do know up until ATIs 8000 series cards they were terrible opengl supporters and I was hoping it was changing. I love NVidia, but being in the PC business I would like to offer my clients a bit more of a choice of Video. It appears that time hasn't come yet.

lots
10-13-2005, 09:21 AM
For me, personally, nvidia is the only choice for the following reasons:

1) They have better drivers, I can play my games at great resolutions and speed, and turn around and work in LW without a hitch. ATI cards can do this as well, but I have seen more horror stories than not with ATI.

2) I dont have to bang my head on the wall repeatedly during a linux setup :) Nvidia provides linux drivers for all thier cards, while ATI does not even support linux. Thus Nvidia definately gets my vote. Plus its easy to setup in comparison to ATI ;)

3) Nvidia has never failed me. My only ATI card (on a laptop) doesnt even have drivers for windows that I can find. Heck I cant even find my laptop listed in the drivers section of the manufacturer ;)

Nvidia for me. I could care less which is more powerful at the moment ;)

Paul_Boland
10-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Nvidia 6800 GT here.

electropulse
10-13-2005, 05:31 PM
ati 9800 pro w/256 mb

sammael
10-13-2005, 08:11 PM
Ati FireGL X1 128mb

-Will only display 2 types of procedurals in the viewport.

-Appears to take no advantage whatsoever of the new openGL enhancements.

-Barely better performance than the 9500 pro I just replaced.

I would expect a lot more from a pro card... does lightwave even take advantage of workstation hardware?????

thumbs down all round for Lightwave 8.5 and ATI here!

EmperorPete
10-14-2005, 06:23 AM
Nvidia 6600 here; in a 3Ghz P4 with 1.5Gb RAM. No problems, once I got the right combination of drivers for the card & the mobo (the original XP install's drivers for all mobo stuff except audio & RAID, and the 81.84 beta drivers for the card).

Lightwolf
10-14-2005, 06:41 AM
nVidia since our first GeForce2 ... and this isn't likely to change in the future, since they seem to be soooo much more dedicated to openGL (just check the amount of sample openGL code by nVidia and compare it to what ATI has to offer in that area).

Cheers,
Mike

Riplakish
10-15-2005, 09:09 PM
For me, personally, nvidia is the only choice for the following reasons:

1) They have better drivers, I can play my games at great resolutions and speed, and turn around and work in LW without a hitch. ATI cards can do this as well, but I have seen more horror stories than not with ATI.

:agree:

I've got a number of ATI cards that I've either given away or stuck in my "rainy day hardware junk box", simply because over the last five years, I've _yet_ to get one to work right in all use cases.

While I've not always thought NVIDIA had the fastest cards, I've yet to have Windows not start up after installing their drivers :D

Earl
10-16-2005, 04:14 PM
I've got an ATI 9600 in one machine, and an NVIDIA Quadro4 700 GoGL on my work laptop. I prefer NVIDIA, but ATI seems to work just fine too.

My ATI Radeon 9600 works fine with 8.5 so far (just installed 8.5 today).

stone
10-17-2005, 03:45 AM
its funny how people stick to old horror stories and rumours and base their graphics cards purchases on them as facts.

anyway, the next ati drivers, version 5.11, might provide a significant upgrade in opengl performance - up to 30 percent - so that should be interesting to see how it will affect perfermance.

http://theinquirer.org/?article=26946

hstewarth
10-17-2005, 08:48 AM
NVidia on 4 of my desktops and ATI on my notebook.

NVidia 6800GT is highest level.

Next notebook is going to have NVidia on it because my experience is that 3d graphics applications have issues on ATI chips.

Lightwaves not the only 3d graphics, Vue and Mojoworld also. All work better on NVidia GPUs.

archiea
10-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Fat Agnus :D

robewil
10-18-2005, 06:24 AM
Fat Agnus :DI think you mean Denise. :D

Lewis
10-18-2005, 10:54 AM
I have Nvidia 5950Ultra at one system while on other I use 3DLabs Wildcat VP760. I had ATi Radeon 9500Pro before Nvidia and i sold it after 4-5 months 'coz i was nuts about drivers and glitches/errors in LW :(. Current 3Dlabs drivers ain't wonderfull (in LW) either :(.

lots
10-18-2005, 01:11 PM
its funny how people stick to old horror stories and rumours and base their graphics cards purchases on them as facts.
They're not really old stories. I still see people with mounds of issues with ATI hardware. I'll give ATI credit though. They are getting better, and thats good. But until ATI cards do exactly what I need them to, I'll stick to what has been working for me for well over 7 years. I'd be willing to pick up ATI cards if I knew they worked :P And if you look at how things are now, ATI and Nvidia are pretty much neck and neck, one always pulling ahead of the other every few months.

I just trust Nvidia's software writers more :P

Lightwave isn't the only reason I have a computer (linux...)

Promethius
10-19-2005, 08:07 AM
So, would 3dLab be consider as others in the polls? :D

I just have to laugh at how Nvidia and ATI love this tech war for the consumers. I have an ATI and Nvidia cards. But, after considering which I like the best, it would have to be Nvidia that workd with LW best. But, for games, In my opinion, ATI seems to work better.

hstewarth
10-19-2005, 11:09 AM
I generally believe for 3D work NVidia is the best and even thought about purchasing a Quadro Version - but I heard unless you using very high end videos - its best to stay with high end gaming nVidia card - like the 6800.

My next main machine will be Next Generation ( not NetBurst - but the replacement coming late 2006 or 2007 ) Intel Xeon level with hopefull high end Quadro style video card at the time.

As for games, my only gripe with nVidia 6800 GT is that high resolution games using shaders - some times cause the screen to go black - like Age of Empires III demo. But that maybe bugs with games.

I have yet to see 3d graphics applications use Shaders - my main 3d applications are Lightwave and Vue 5 Infinite ( 2 copys thanks to Newtek Lightwave 9.0 upgrade - been using Vue 5 Infinte and love it before upgrade ).

With ATI - my only experience is with my Notebook. 3d applications have trouble and must turn off some features and some games don't even work. Also purchase and took back a HDTV Wonder that never work.

NVidia drivers are 2nd to none, wish others ( especially creative ) follow suit and make unified drivers.

I am curious if LW 9.0 will take advantage of Shaders 3.0 in 6800GT. Also look forward to node base shading.. Really like the stuff in Vue and also in Mojoworld 2.x and 3.x

Stewart

Riplakish
10-19-2005, 07:42 PM

anyway, the next ati drivers, version 5.11, might provide a significant upgrade in opengl performance - up to 30 percent - so that should be interesting to see how it will affect perfermance.

http://theinquirer.org/?article=26946

When you spend considerable $$s for high end hardware, it only takes once or twice getting burned before you decide its simply not worth the risk...

"Ah, boss... You knowthat $800 ATI video card I told you I just had to have? Well, it doesn't work, and returning it will cost us a 20% restocking fee. Can I go out and get the $800 NVIDIA card now, please ???? :question: :cursin: :thumbsdow

3DeeNut
10-19-2005, 08:30 PM
gotta say, i have owned 2 nvidia chipset cards 1 in my old pc and now my g5 i got the 6800 ultra ddl and i have loved them both. Never fail, never have problems. At work, i have a duplicate g5 rig but with an ati card instead. I work heavy on both systems never an issue with video on either rig and the ati card was considerably cheaper. So i guess id say that unless you kick the ever living gonads off your machine (not that i kik softly) you'll proably be like me and be happy with either.

stone
10-20-2005, 06:02 AM
When you spend considerable $$s for high end hardware, it only takes once or twice getting burned before you decide its simply not worth the risk...

only reason you get burned in the first place is due to making an uneducated purchase, lacking knowledge regarding the product.

most people in here isnt able to tell the difference between opengl and directx and their different versions. doesnt know what a pixelshader is, let alone know the difference between shadermodel 2 and 3.

basing your buying decissions on having tried an integrated chipset and using that for comparission, having been burned on a previous product which you didnt know the first thing about or listening to more or less true stories and rumours, really is a bigger risk.

/stone

Lightwolf
10-20-2005, 06:06 AM
only reason you get burned in the first place is due to making an uneducated purchase, lacking knowledge regarding the product.
Absolutely. I guess this also goes for recommending a product for "pro" use based on driver enchancements for a game ;)

Cheers,
Mike - scnr

stone
10-20-2005, 06:27 AM
Absolutely. I guess this also goes for recommending a product for "pro" use based on driver enchancements for a game ;)

i dont recommend any product anywhere. secondly, those openl gains isnt game specific and a 30 percent increase in opengl performance is quite a feat thats worth noticing regardless of your fanboy'ism being for nvidia or ati. also for ati owners its quite interesting news. thirdly, making an artificially division being pro and non-pro users when there is none, is rather pointless.

/stone

Lightwolf
10-20-2005, 06:47 AM
i dont recommend any product anywhere. secondly, those openl gains isnt game specific and a 30 percent increase in opengl performance is quite a feat thats worth noticing regardless of your fanboy'ism being for nvidia or ati. also for ati owners its quite interesting news. thirdly, making an artificially division being pro and non-pro users when there is none, is rather pointless.

1st: you quoted "old horror" stories as well as facts, which might not be a recommendation but is dissing at least
2nd: boths sides quote increases like that, and in most cases they only occur under specific circumstances. And we both know that consumer boards have drivers that are specifically optimized for certain games.
3rd: I never made a distinction between users but between uses (note the missing 'r'). The demands a 3D app has on a graphics board are quite different from the demands by a more game oriented board. This is also reflected in the drivers.

Cheers,
Mike