PDA

View Full Version : 7.5 & 8 running on the same machine

murdoch
10-12-2005, 08:16 AM
Greetings,

just looking for info on having 7.5 & 8 running on the same machine (not at the same time). What's the deal with prefs like 'com.newtek.LightWave.plist', 'LS/GN Prefs' and 'LScript Prefs', are there conflicts? Any other surprises to look forward to?

Thanks
G5 : 10.4.2

Scazzino
10-12-2005, 09:18 AM
The safest way to keep two different versions of LW separate on the same machine is to have each in its own folder, and give each its own config folder. This is especially useful if you wish to keep different versions of LW8 on the same machine and separate...

This is what I do. I create a LightWave folder in my Apps folder. Inside there I have folders for the old LightWave 3D 7.5d and the new LightWave [850] (as well as older versions of LW8). Then inside each of those I create a Configs folder. Like so...

/Applications/LightWave/LightWave 3D 7.5d/Configs

/Applications/LightWave/LightWave [850]/Configs

Then you can direct each version of LW to keep its config files in its own Configs folder by adding a line like this into each of the LightWave cmdLine, Modeler cmdLine and Hub cmdLine files, for each version. Just make sure the path to each respective Config folder is correct for each different version, like so:

-c"Macintosh HD:Applications:LightWave:LightWave 3D 7.5d:Configs"

-c"Macintosh HD:Applications:LightWave:LightWave [850]:Configs"

Then launch LW (each version one at a time) and scan plugins directory to build a new plugins database. Be sure to scan the correct version of the plugins directory for each version of LW. Then quit to save the new configs...

Hope it helps,
-MikeS

murdoch
10-12-2005, 09:30 AM
That's a big help. Thanks Mike.

Scazzino
10-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Glad it helped!

Here's some more info on using the Mac cmdLine files:

Mastering LightWave’s Mac OS X cmdLine Files ( http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/cmdline_files.html)

-MikeS