PDA

View Full Version : Cut tool in 8.5 broken?

Wonderpup
10-12-2005, 02:52 AM
Has anyone else found that the cut tool in 8.5 has lost its preview function? The cuts still work, but you can't see the result until you close the tool.

Dodgy
10-12-2005, 03:47 AM
I've heard that this preview function led to some sort of memory problem if you used it enough, so it may have been stopped because of that.

Wonderpup
10-12-2005, 07:23 AM
Hi Dodgy,

thanks for the reply. Bit of bummer if true- this kind of interactivity is something I would hope to see added to, not removed in an update.

Nigel Baker
10-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Hello Wonderpup & Dodgy,

Just gave this a try in Modler, it is working okay here so far on my Mac.

Will keep an eye to this thread in case it arrises.

lardbros
10-12-2005, 11:59 AM
yep, doesn't preview on mine either!! I'm amazed they are going backwards with some interactive functions! I guess somethings are going to have to go back in order to go forward, but thought that had finished with 8.0.

Strange how bandsaw can still preview, and many of the other tools too.

Lewis
10-12-2005, 02:31 PM
AFAIK CUT lost his preview funcion due some stability issues (in some extreme cutting situations) but it works normally when you click continue button. Yes it' bummer to lost it's preview (I myself instantlly nagged NT about that when i started 8.5) but if you look better CUT hasn't been fully interactive before like bandsaw pro :(. In bandsaw pro you can rotate/pan/zoom while oyu are doing it while in CUT you couldn't do any of that while tool is activated. I'm pretty sure they will solve all that in LW9 and who knows maybe we get bandsaw pro2 (or whatever) who can do both things (cut triangles and cut only selected) :).

Bill Carey
10-13-2005, 01:59 AM
Hmmm.....

I checked the 8.5 feature list for "removed interactive functionality from cut tool" but it wasn't there. I'm in the middle of a model I was using cut on to line things up, now I'll need plan B.

Not a killer, but annoying.

Surrealist.
10-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Welcome to my world guys. I have things on my system that just don't work. Been this way on various things since8.0.

Checked it on my machine. Yep. What in the #$%& is up with that?

Lewis
10-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Bill - i understand you completely (i complained to NT instantly :)) but that's the reason what I got from them so i'm just passing info :). I sure hope they will solve it till 9.0. I'd rather live with that than not have 8.5 for next 30 days ;).

Bill Carey
10-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Lewis - I'm not expecting any fixes after the 8.5 release, it's full speed to 9.0 from here I bet. Then of course all the old bugs should be swept aside in favor newer more enhanced bugs. :-)

If they broke it on purpose due to instability it should be listed on a known issue page, if it just happened it's called a bug. Did you list it in the bugs thread? If so I'll quit this thread and just go pile on there, lol. If not, I'll be happy to be the first.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with 8.5, multishift and, bucking the trend, my opengl performance IS better in layout after installing the latest ATI drivers. I'm just surprised this one made it through beta test, this isn't one of those plugins only 1 in 100 people use.

evenflcw
10-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Take another look at multishift aswell. It's powerful no doubt, but what doesn't it have that pretty much all other tools have? Value snapping! I really don't see how any experienced lightwaver could have tried this tool and not noticed that something essential was missing. Working interactivly with this tool is simply impossible, forget about precision! Very sad! Like tripping at the last hurdle. I can only conclude that NTs betateam is non-existant or doesn't consist of actual users.

Vision1
10-14-2005, 07:41 AM
when you use bevel tool and the multishift tool it feels different bevel is much easier to use in the side view port than multishift
multishift has some stange feeling i don't know what it is has someone else this

Lewis
10-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Hi

evenflcw - Multishift is currently (in his first version) little slow (noticable only when working with high poly models) and it has his way of working but it's good step forward. IMHO multishift should replace - bevel, smooth shift and supershift (which replacement acctually is) but currently it's not have bevel type of work but i hope it will in next revision (I'm hoping in Lw9.0).

Bill - I did mention that CUT tool difference (no preview) to NT personell but like I said previously they gave me answer what i already posted. For me that preview was very important but i'm patient so i can wait till 9.0 to see consolidation of tools so let's wait and see.

You can report it to BUG thread but I' bet you will get answer as I got/posted already :).

cheers

Vision - what part of multishift is hard to use ? If you turn off "multishift mode" it works same as bevel (in terms of LMB and RMB click/move) so i dont see where it is hard to use it (be sure to have numeric panel open). They do work differentlly on core level ( bevel works induvidually for each polyogn while multishift will merge neighbour polys if they are selected simultanously but i'm hoping to get that as an option in next multishift version so we can drop/replace bevel tool for good)

cheers