PDA

View Full Version : Serenity's ZOIC Studios - swap assets between LW and Maya??

Cman
10-11-2005, 10:43 PM
In Oct. 2005 Film&Video magazine, a article on Serenity says: "Most of the spaceships that would appear in the movie, however, were rebuilt in Maya, hten moved into LightWave via a custom script for animation, lighting, and, often, rendering."

Why in the world would you take a Lightwave model into Maya to "rebuild", only to import BACK into Lightwave to animate, light and render?

I can only imagine they wanted to use Maya's nurbs, but LW don't use nurbs so it would just have to be converted back to polygons! What's the point!?

DragonFist
10-11-2005, 11:14 PM
It was stated elsewhere that the basic reason was a lack of available LW Modelers.

Of course, there's all of us here, but I won't take that point up since the movie rocked so much. :D

CAClark
10-12-2005, 12:21 AM
There are things you can do when modelling in Nurbs that would be extremely unpleasant to do in LW i think, just based on watching some of the guys on Scarlet who modelled in Maya rather than LW.

Cheers!

DragonFist
10-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Maybe, but in an interview the stated reason was lack of immediately available LW Modelers. The ones they have were otherwise committed.

CAClark
10-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Well all they had to do was ask :p

Cheers!

richgrafx
10-12-2005, 09:46 AM
I read that they preferred Maya for applying UVs

Cman
10-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Rebuilding a model in Maya seems stupid. You'd just have to tesselate the nurbs, so why not just crank up the sub'ds - since rendering in Lightwave anyway?

But applying UVs makes more sense to me.

Scott_Blinn
10-12-2005, 11:55 AM
I read that they preferred Maya for applying UVs

I can believe that. I'm not too fond of UVing in LW either. :-/

jin choung
10-16-2005, 09:53 PM
i generally feel that lw is a great all-around modeler and one of the best modelers for organic (as in living) stuff because of the ease of use of polys and subds - but i was ALWAYS rather mystified that lw was used to model so many of the starship assets in Star Trek....

when it comes to Industrial Design shapes and whatnot (and the ships of the modern age starfleet are almost perfect examples of such flowing forms), i would've imagined that NURBS would've definitely been the way to go....

but then again, perhaps although nurbs are a more ideal fit to the task at hand they may possibly still be more tedious and slow to use - not to mention the fact the job went to a lw house :)...

besides, though lw's polys/sds may not be ideal for many tasks, perhaps they're just much faster and require less setup - and nurbs is all about constant derivation of curves and surfaces and reparameterizing and etc etc etc.... advantage is liability....

jin