PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Questions from newbie here ...

gobi
10-11-2005, 09:13 PM
This is the 1st time I posting here, but I have been trying out Lightwave for couple of months (still not good it yet).

I have couple of questions and I hope someone could help out. Questions are :

1. is there an Undo option in the software?
I know pressing o will bring option to increase the number of Undo ya can use but where's the Undo button? I'm used to Photoshop so much, I kept looking for undo button here.

2. I seen couple of guides where some guys get basic outline (polyon points I think) from pictures and used it as guide to remodify and create their own object. Is this possible or did they just do it for guide sake and expect ya to do yer own sketching?

Is it is possible, wat format ya can use to import to Lightwave? I ask this because I'm quite good (newbie also) in sketching and I was wondering if I could sketch first, scan and use it as basic for outline of model and objects in Lightwave.

3. How long it probably takes for a person (newbie like me) to be good at this software? I practise for couple of hours (almost) everyday and used to the tools already, but still confused here and there. My long term goal is to make games.

OK, thank ya for yer time. :D

Silkrooster
10-11-2005, 10:55 PM
This is the 1st time I posting here, but I have been trying out Lightwave for couple of months (still not good it yet).

I have couple of questions and I hope someone could help out. Questions are :

1. is there an Undo option in the software?
I know pressing o will bring option to increase the number of Undo ya can use but where's the Undo button? I'm used to Photoshop so much, I kept looking for undo button here.

2. I seen couple of guides where some guys get basic outline (polyon points I think) from pictures and used it as guide to remodify and create their own object. Is this possible or did they just do it for guide sake and expect ya to do yer own sketching?

Is it is possible, wat format ya can use to import to Lightwave? I ask this because I'm quite good (newbie also) in sketching and I was wondering if I could sketch first, scan and use it as basic for outline of model and objects in Lightwave.

3. How long it probably takes for a person (newbie like me) to be good at this software? I practise for couple of hours (almost) everyday and used to the tools already, but still confused here and there. My long term goal is to make games.

OK, thank ya for yer time. :D

1) Yep it is the same as most windows software - ctrl-z

2) By opening the display panel in modeler, you can load a background image, from this you can model a couple of different ways to get the object. The way you model is what is the most comfortable for you. You can use splines, box, or point.

3)That is going to be totally up to you. Depending on where you get your training from to how much are you willing to spend on your training.

I recommend starting here (http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm)
Also check out www.kurvstudios.com www.3dgarage.com and www.splinegod.com and don't forget the tutorials right here on Newtek's website.
Silk

gobi
10-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Ctr-Z huh? Got it. This gonna save me a lot of time cos last time, I save first, modify and save. Any problem or accidents, I abort the process and reload.

As for the background image loading, thanks also. Big help. I'm good at drawing (learn using the book How to Draw Manga) and I have a friend who is good at it also but trying to get it into 3D (using lightwave) wasn't easy cos both of us are newbies and make a lot of mistake and accidents during modeling. This is a big help.

Also, thanks for yer recommendation. I will check it out whenever I got time.

Thanks a lot. :thumbsup: