PDA

View Full Version : New user having problems

frostbitten86
10-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Hello all, I'm new to lightwave 3d---so please dont flame me on this very simple problem below:)

Basically i've been fighting with the Symmetry tool--I can't seem to get it working. I read the directions : i select polys/verts on the x+ side, hit the symmetry button, and it does nothing. nope nope, it doesnt do anything on the opposite side of the model. So lately ive been just creating half the model, then copying it and welding the two sides together(which i hate because it messes up the proportioning for me lol) Please someone tell me what im doing wrong...im getting really frusterated. :help:

Hoopti
10-11-2005, 06:42 PM
What symentry does is, if you have two points that are identically spaced from the center axis, then they will move both. If there isn't one to match up, then it won't. Symmetry is not really a tool but a state in which you operate.

In order to get a model to a point to deal with symmetry, you're actually close. Delete half your model. Highlight the points that are to be the "middle" and use the Set Value command to set their value to 0, on the Z axis I believe. I'm not near my computer so I can't check that out. Perhaps someone will correct me if possible.

Then use the mirror tool and mirror it over, using the weld points command as well. Now you should be ready to work in symmetry mode.

Hope that helps make it clearer on what the intent of symmetry is. When you're in modeler mode, press the F1 key and pull up the help menu. Do a search on the word symmetry. It'll give you a better idea, as well as the tools that may help.

Hope this helps.

Hoop

Silkrooster
10-11-2005, 08:13 PM
I find it a little simpler to select 1/2 of the object, set the value to 0 on the X axis then delete the selected half. This sets the points to 0 without having to select them. Finally use the mirror tool to create the other half and make sure the weld points is turned on.
The way I remember the axis is X is left to right, Y is up and down and Z is forward and backwards.
Silk

frostbitten86
10-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Thank you both for answering...I got it:) off to continue modeling!