PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong With this 8.5 picture?

Surrealist.
10-11-2005, 06:02 PM
OK. Back to tutorials as I realize again I am but an idiot on most elements of lightwave so, I start again to get things I have missed.

What is wrong with this picture? Just a tutoral on using a weightmap as an imput peramiter for an alpha graident to control where the texture is. That is going swimmingly as far as understanding goes. So never mind about that - especially artistically. It is the bigger picture I am interested in.

For me the viper window is always so much darker than both layout and the actual render.

Here you can see that the viper window is useless. It is so dark you cant even see any texture. So what have I missed here? I rendered and also clicked the render button on the viper window. As you can see I have turned the lights too high with no result.

Now the 8.5 picture. I thought we were supposed to see open GL textures for things like color? What have i missed here?

As things stand I have no way to get feedback on the gradient other than to render.

OK what in the F*** did I miss this time?

Surrealist.
10-11-2005, 06:13 PM
This time used a value proceedural just to see if color would show.

Oh it shows...

But why do I have to still render to see the result of the gradient?

Probably my graphics card. Yes?

voriax
10-11-2005, 06:20 PM
As far as I can tell, the new opengl layout shading doesnt show weight map gradients.. It works with other types of gradients (try incidence angle or something else), but not weight map based ones..

As far as the Viper window going wonky, I dunno.. I never used viper, even before fprime.. hehe
I never liked the result from it.. I always found it easier just to do tiny f9 renders to get the feel of the lighting properly..

Hoopti
10-11-2005, 06:33 PM
From the 8.5 Readme:

"This is the first phase of the GLSL Hardware Shader. The following
procedurals and gradients are currently available for viewing
in the OpenGL viewports:

Gradients:
Previous Layer
Slope
Incidence Angle
Light Incidence
Distance to Camera
Distance to Object
X Distance to Object
Y Distance to Object
Z Distance to Object
Distance to Pivot Point
X Distance to Pivot Point
Y Distance to Pivot Point
Z Distance to Pivot Point

Procedurals:
Value
Brick
Ripples
Ripples2
Grid
Honeycomb
Dots
Underwater
Bumparray
Marble
Wood
Checkerboard
Turbulence
Smoky1
Smoky2
Smoky3
FBM"

Mentions nothing about Weightmaps yet. Give them a chance it's coming.

Hoop

Dodgy
10-11-2005, 06:35 PM
I think the lighting in viper depends on whether you have 'USe scene lights' set in the Material Preview window. Try toggling it to see if it makes a difference...

Surrealist.
10-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Thanks Hoop. On the money there. Thanks. Edit: my luck I'd chose a tut with something that wouldn't show. :D

Thanks Dodgy. Never would have thought of that. Unfornunately it did not fix it. Oh well, but it did make things a little brighter with it unchecked. Go figure.

Thanks for the quick resonse guys. :)

maxxwv
10-12-2005, 05:12 AM
Are you rendering with Radiosity? The times I've seen what you're describing, I've been rendering with radiosity and Viper doesn't calculate that, so the scene seems incredibly dark in the Viper window and the Surface preview window. Usually, though, unchecking "Use Scene Lights" in the surface editor options does take care of it, so that's kinda odd...

Surrealist.
10-12-2005, 06:02 PM
Are you rendering with Radiosity? The times I've seen what you're describing, I've been rendering with radiosity and Viper doesn't calculate that, so the scene seems incredibly dark in the Viper window and the Surface preview window. Usually, though, unchecking "Use Scene Lights" in the surface editor options does take care of it, so that's kinda odd...

Thanks for the reply. No radiosity here.

What about bump maps I assumed bumpaps would work. They don't here. Are they supposed to?

EDIT: just remebered bump channel is not included in the display options so it is not supported. Oh well.

Thanks again.

T-Light
10-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Nope, no OGL bumpmaps :( ... until 9.0 :)

Surrealist.
10-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Nope, no OGL bumpmaps :( ... until 9.0 :)

tiiming is everything... I had Just edited the post.

thanks. :)