View Full Version : LW 9 Upgrading

Nigel Baker
10-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Over the past few weeks I have been thinking about LW 8.5 and the imminent release of version 9.
Never before have we been aware of two versions coming out within the same press release.

Now I purchased LW7 for I think 1500 punts at the time thats about $2,469.
Then 7.5 came out which I got for free and I thought was great. When LW 8 came out I spent 500 euros
for it then a few weeks later this price was dropped to about $295 dollars.

Now I can purchase the new upgrade for LW9 for 472 euros. In total so, over the time I have spent 3000 euros,
once I upgrade for Lightwave 9. If I was to start today in Lightwave I would have to pay 950 euros plus I would get Vue completely for free.

Others I am sure have been supporting Newtek for a lot longer than I.

My point is this, why doesn't Newtek give a loyalty pricing system to customers who buy more upgrades.
For we spend a lot of money with Newtek and yet it seems once I upgrade straight away to support Newtek.
A little while later to boost sales they bring out an offer which is too late for me to receive unless I want to pay for it again.

So a grading price system for customers who are not necessarily with Newtek a long time but who support them by buying the upgrades on an ongoing bases.

What the view out there on this?

10-11-2005, 04:42 PM
It always seems unfair. But I've found this is common. I can't remember How many times this has come up with many companies I've dealt with. It's seems the nature of computing and competition.

10-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Well look at it this way. Maxon reward those who buy every upgrade, if you miss an upgrade you pay more than someone who bought every one. For example, I bought the Cinema 8.5 core app for about 350 pounds (upgrade from CE and a very good deal at the time) about 6 months later C4d R9 was released and Maxon wanted 200 for me to upgrade my core app. I decided to wait. At Siggraph in August they unveiled C4d 9.5. Because I skipped the 9 upgrade it will now cost me 350 to upgrade, if I skip this one too I might as well buy C4d10 at full price and have 2 seats because the upgrade won't be much of a saving! That's one of the reasons I just bought Lightwave and Maxon may have lost a customer for good. I'm not the only one either!

The fact that I can upgrade from any version of Lightwave for a flat upgrade fee is a strong selling point to me! - Baz

10-11-2005, 05:02 PM
ya, good points all around. As a person who has upgraded twice, and owned educational copies of LW back when I was a student Ive often wondered about just getting a new seat, since upgrading twice is like buy the program all over again :(

In NT's defense, development costs dont really change, so unless theres an influx of ppl buying new seats, a whole bunch of loyal users probably wouldnt generate nearly as much money if it was a great deal, or like worley where u pay once. Your asking them to continue doing the same job with less.

10-11-2005, 05:04 PM

I see where you're coming from, and it would be nice to have my constant, week-of-release upgrades rewarded since version 5.0.

But do you *need* Nine's features right now? Knowing that it's going to be a Point Uh-Oh Release, (as opposed to e.g. 9.1a) do you want to chase the Bleeding Edge?

It's up to you, mate. You've spotted the pattern, you know what you're doing. Do you want it now, with a deal? Or do you want it later on, a bit cheaper?

It's what NewTek have always done, and we all know it, and it's up to you. Me, I like the bleeding edge. I like knowing what's happenning, so when the .1 makes it stable, I already know what the tool does. That's important to me. If it's not important to you, then hold off. I'm sure if the guys change their game plan, they'll let us know.

10-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Adobe let you upgrade to After Effects Professional 6.5 from 3.x on up for $199 - regardless of which version. (Photoshop CS2 upgrade is also from any version).

So NewTek :newtek: isn't unusual in this regard.

And the logic is to retire support for older versions by enticing most of your customers to be on the latest & greatest. $395 for the :lwicon: upgrade seems pretty reasonable to me. :thumbsup:

10-11-2005, 09:53 PM
I dont know how it is now, but XSI FND (depending on your license) could not be upgraded. If a new version came out, you had to buy it all over again (full price).

Not very rewarding if you ask me. Newtek seems to have a better pricing structure.

I havnt looked at the price schemes for XSI lately, but I would think its similar to last fall.

Nigel Baker
10-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the response.
Some interesting points. Sometimes I think it would be just better to
purchase a new seat all together, but I think I will wait until LW 12?

BOG - I have always thought it was important to support LW to keep Newteks development team in a wage.

GregMalick - I would not mind paying $395 dollars - in Euros that would be about 320 Euros but the actual
Upgrade price in Europe is 472 euros which is about $585 dollars, now there is a difference and why?

kfinla - @LAST who make SketchUp charge $99 dollars for your upgrade no matter where you are in the world
and no matter what version, every time.

10-12-2005, 02:58 AM
Well Nigel,

I have no idea why that is. :stumped: And I agree that it isn't fair. :agree:

Knowing that the AE Pro upgrade is $199 and PhotoShop CS2 upgrade is $149 are the European prices the same?

I just have no clue as to what drives business decisions like this. I can only guess that maybe the European distributors are demanding a bigger slice of the profit. But like I said, I have no real clue. 8~