PDA

View Full Version : Scene to help visualize GLHSL

dballesg
10-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Hello to all.

I created two scenes with ALL the textures and gradients that appears on the Readme.txt of LightWave 8.5.

I am having problems with an ATI Radeon 9700SE Mobility from my Laptop. A few ones show well, but doesn't correspond with the render.

I am sure it is a problem of the graphic cards driver, I am not using the oficial ATI ones, because ATI doesn't support this cards on Laptops, and the manufacturer of my Laptop doesn't have any newer version of the drivers.

For other users on my situation maybe it would be useful to get the Omega Drivers for ATI cards, http://www.omegadrivers.net/ and gave them a try. Those are the ones I am using now.

Careful, because those ARE NOT OFICIAL drivers, and I donīt want later anyone complaining or winning for using them :) Use them at your own risk. For me are working partially, but working at least! :)

Later I will post screen captures and renders. I think the scenes would be useful for Newtek to check the visuals of GLHSL on several systems :)

Hope you enjoy them :)

dballesg
10-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Hi again,

I added the screen captures and renders. Look the errors on Brick on two channels , Smoky 3 on the transparency channel. Only for name two.

And more differences on same texture on different channels, for example: Marble, wood, etc.

I think it would be interesting if someone grab the zip I posted, capture the screen, and post the images rendered as well. As well the type of graphic card they are using and drivers version.

I think mine serve as a reference of wich texture is each one. That is why I put the titles on them.

Thanks in advance.

lardbros
10-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Good idea dballesg, and you must have the patience of a saint to have bothered setting up that! Cool job, and i have posted my images to let you guys and gals see. I have a GeforceFX5200 with 64mb and drivers 77.77 Nvidia.

My procedurals are surprisingly good... and as accurate as they could possibly be i reckon... hardly any noticable difference what-so-ever if there is any at all.

Hope more people join in, this is a good plan batman! Although, could turn out to be a image intensive thread, that's why i've compressed mine as much as poss!

WizCraker
10-14-2005, 01:30 AM
I have an ATI x600 running 5.10 drivers mine looks exactly like yours dballesg.

colkai
10-14-2005, 02:41 AM
I have a Geforce FX5300, 128MB RAM, Forceware 78.01 . Bios 4.43.20
My results are just like LardBros.
Having said that, when I turn on GLHSL, it's so slow to work out the OGL view and react that it's all but unusable anyway. After loading the scene, activating the setting takes a good 30 seconds or so before it even displays anything.

I'm admittedly running on an AMD, not Pentium and it's only a XP1800+ CPU (1GB Ram)

dballesg
10-14-2005, 02:57 AM
Hi to all,

Thanks for the compliments lardbros.

It is strange that you Colkai cannot move the scene around, when I activate the GLHSL on my Laptop I can rotate or move on the Perspective window quite well. Or Camera window as well.

Looks like NVIDIA is the card to go at the moment if we want Open GL 2.0 support working fine.

Maybe is beacuse it is not showing ALL the procedurals or gradients.

Anyone with one of those new Realzim cards from 3DLabs can do a test and post the results? It is because I have a Wildcat VP card and that one doesnīt have the driver for Open GL yet.

Thanks in advance :)

lardbros
10-14-2005, 03:40 AM
Yeah same here Colkai... unusable for me too... it looks pretty though.

I'm on an AMD 1600+ with 512RAM and GeforceFX5200, so everyone pity me please! :D

colkai
10-14-2005, 04:01 AM
How fast from activating it, does the OGL display refresh to show the textures?
Mine takes over 30 seconds as I said, then I get an abysmal FPS rate in the viewports with a 1 second lag each time I make a move / texture adjustment.
It may be worth using when I need to use shaders, but as it stands, for me at least, I'm far better off using FPrime for my texturing in terms of speed.
I dunno if there is some setting on the driver/card i need to activate / deactivate in order to improve things, whether it is my older CPU & cheaper card that's the problem. Or if simply, this is not yet at a point where it is truely useful in real terms.

dballesg
10-14-2005, 04:46 AM
Hi again.

Well activate and deactivate the GLHSL option on the display options, hide and show the textures inmediately almost (2 sec lag).

But after do that, TWO of the Ripples and Underwater textures on the color and diffuse channel, suddenly dissapeared, and even after quit Layout and Hub WITHOUT save the scene made them not show again!! :compbeati

The Omega drivers I am using with this ATI have a nice option of put the FPS your viewport is refreshing, and gave me on the perspective window rotating it between 8 and 14 FPS.

So it is by sure that we will have problems with this DUE to graphic drivers, on the other hand, I think Newtek has made a good implementation of the GLHSL option.

Cheers, David.

lardbros
10-14-2005, 06:08 AM
How fast from activating it, does the OGL display refresh to show the textures?
Mine takes over 30 seconds as I said, then I get an abysmal FPS rate in the viewports with a 1 second lag each time I make a move / texture adjustment.
It may be worth using when I need to use shaders, but as it stands, for me at least, I'm far better off using FPrime for my texturing in terms of speed.
I dunno if there is some setting on the driver/card i need to activate / deactivate in order to improve things, whether it is my older CPU & cheaper card that's the problem. Or if simply, this is not yet at a point where it is truely useful in real terms.

Abysmal?? Atleast you get some FPS mine is FPM :D (minute, incase anyone's wondering). The procedural one took atleast 30 seconds to display... and the gradient one much longer. I knew it would be slow because my card is using software openGL 2, and it's the entry level card to use with LW GLHSL. Hopefully the speed will be upped for 9, and i may get a new PC for then too.
I'm gonna have to get my hands on a copy of F-prime.

colkai
10-14-2005, 01:51 PM
I'm on an AMD 1600+ with 512RAM and GeforceFX5200, so everyone pity me please!
Wow - someone on a lower spec PC than me! :p ;)
I did test MB with interactive reflections and that dropped to a stupid crawl so it doesn't seem to be LW that is the problem as with "sphere map" reflections in MB it fairly blasts along. I have to presume it's the "interactive" mode that slows it down. So I guess those with top flight PC's / cards will fare better, after all, my FX5200 card only cost about 40 quid. ;)
If you can afford FPrime, I'd get it mate, there's no going back when you do. Hopefully too Newtek will open up the SDK so Mr Worley can add shader support, that really would be something!
edit - Interestingly, the gradient scene displays a few seconds faster than the procedurals with my card.

LightFreeze
10-14-2005, 03:50 PM
I use a FX5200 as well and get the same results as LardBros and Colkia, I think the slowdown occurs because if the GFX card cannot handle the shading within the hardware then it emulates it in software, how you find out what your card can handle directly with the hardware I do not know, apart from trial and error I suppose

lardbros
10-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Yeah, colkai, i only spent Ģ50 quid or something very small on mine too. I guess you get exactly what you pay for.

Can't really afford F-prime just yet, mainly because my spare pennies will be going on LW9 when it comes out and maybe a new PC and another slightly more expensive graphics card :D But sounds like F-prime would be more than worth it with increased productivity.

Interesting to hear about peoples results with the opengl 2. Looks like Nvidia have the best results, and looks promising for 9, with extended support and higher speeds!! YAY

colkai
10-15-2005, 02:59 AM
Hi Lardbros,
In all honesty, with your setup, (not too dissimilar to mine ;) ), I'd say it's worth going for FPrime before upgrading your GFX card / PC. It's hard to explain just how much time it saves you. FPrime2 on my PC whips along, if you're like I was, you're currently doing lots of tweak/F9 loops. Once you use FPrime, your workflow goes up and more importantly, for numpties like me, one can actually see the effect of light changes / colour changes directly as you edit, so giving me a greater understanding of the whole "picture".
Put it this way, FPrime on my PC gives me a change I can see almost instantaneously, rather than the painful OGL result with 8.5
I do have a demo AVI of how it works on my PC, though it is 40MB, it's straight off my PC so you can see how fast it is, even accounting for the recording software lag.
Will post a link once I find a free place to host it. :)

lardbros
10-15-2005, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the offer Colkai, but unfortunately i don't have broadband at the moment either so bit of a let down really. No worries though, i believe that F-prime is the next thing my money will be going on (there's plenty of time between now and xmas... i can save for LW9 too) Not only do i have a slow PC, a crap graphics card, and dial-up internet... but the connection only stays on for 2hrs at a time. Wow, how lucky am i?

Well i spose in the whole scheme of things i'm EXTREMELY lucky... :D

Cheers again for the offer.

colkai
10-15-2005, 04:25 AM
Ok, here's the link...
http://storeandserve.com/download/699/fprime.avi.html

colkai
10-15-2005, 04:28 AM
Thanks for the offer Colkai, but unfortunately i don't have broadband at the moment either so bit of a let down really.
Whoops - hehe - still, it's up for others in the same boat I guess ;)

Not only do i have a slow PC, a crap graphics card, and dial-up internet... but the connection only stays on for 2hrs at a time. Wow, how lucky am i?
Ahh dude, I remember being in exactly the same boat not too long ago. :)
Ok, you're a UK type person yes? If you want, I can do a larger, more "useful" example of FPrimes ability and send you a CD if you want. Lemme know and we can work it out via EMail if you are so inclined, (I'm also on MSN / ICQ). :thumbsup:

lardbros
10-15-2005, 05:38 AM
Yeah i am a UK type person indeed. :thumbsup: A serious thankyou for the offer, but i wouldn't want you to go to that much bother. Despite being on dial-up at the mo, i have finally signed up for broadband, just not sure how long it will take to get going (cancelling NTL contracts takes time). Once i get it i will grab that file you posted, thanks a million. Hmmm LW9 or F-prime?? :D or both?

colkai
10-15-2005, 05:45 AM
Yeah i am a UK type person indeed. :thumbsup: A serious thankyou for the offer, but i wouldn't want you to go to that much bother.
Wouldn't be a problem man, you want it , won't be a big deal.

Despite being on dial-up at the mo, i have finally signed up for broadband, just not sure how long it will take to get going
once you've got it - there's no going back.

nemac4
10-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Using a Nvidia 6200 OC AGP w/ 256MB from BFG and it looks just like Lardbros. Using 77.72 drivers on 2x19" monitors at 1280x1024 each. The only problems I see seem to be some of the previous layer gradients. I was thinking about buying the 6600 rather than the 6200OC. Has anyone tried it with a 6600?
The 6200 OC seems to have no trouble displaying the opengl stuff quickly though. I can rotate the single view and is still pretty smooth. The quad view is pretty laggy. Single view playback stutters a bit but is not bad at all. A nice upgrade from my old 4600Ti.

Dodgy
01-26-2006, 08:22 AM
I've found the main slow down to be the procedurals. If I'm using images in the different channels, they're much more responsive. I'm only on a FX5700 so my card's not that great.