PDA

View Full Version : Best possible streaming resolution

Tarheel Cougar
10-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Hypothetical:
If I was going to set up a single "unicast" web stream through the Tricaster over a T1 connection (say to provide a closed circuit feed of a program to an off site location), what are the highest settings I could reliably use for the streaming profile to get the picture to look as good (as close to broadcast quality as T1 windows streaming can get) as possible?
What about over a LAN?

Does this depend on how heavily I am using the live functions of the Tricaster? If I was using it just as a streaming box could I set the profile higher than if I was using it to switch and play videos?

Jared

CVC
10-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Our experience has been to allow about 20% of the bandwidth for overhead. So a T1 is 1500 kilobits upload, take off 20% and you have the ability to stream at 1200kbits. Microsoft says that 700kbits or so is DVD quality. We have found this to be a great quality for most applications. However, when doing live sports with tons of motion, you may want to bump it up some more. With a talking head...I think that even 500kbit is overkill. :)

Brad

Tarheel Cougar
10-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Our experience has been to allow about 20% of the bandwidth for overhead. So a T1 is 1500 kilobits upload, take off 20% and you have the ability to stream at 1200kbits. Microsoft says that 700kbits or so is DVD quality. We have found this to be a great quality for most applications. However, when doing live sports with tons of motion, you may want to bump it up some more. With a talking head...I think that even 500kbit is overkill. :)

Brad

Thanks Brad. Very useful information, I will have to test it over our network. The thought of using the streaming for a closed circuit feed, or even for live insertion on local cable in an emergency (say during an emergency management press conference) is appealing. Meetings, talking heads, maybe, but I'm not optimistic enough to think we could do live sports on cable in this manner, but no harm in trying.
Jared