PDA

View Full Version : Perfume speed test

awrieger
10-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Is my G4 really this bad??

I just got 8.5 today and was browsing this forum and saw JML posted a speed test (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=41628&page=4) of the Parfum bottle scene in the 8.5 content folder (Scenes/Lighting/Parfume.lws).

On his/her P4 3.2 2GB (1 thread) it rendered in 6min 18secs.

So I tried the same scene on my G4 dual 1.25 2GB ATI Rage 128 (4 threads), and my render time is a whopping 35m 42s!

Is my G4 really that bad compared to a Pentium4?? Almost 6 times slower!?! And that was with 4 threads, not 1!

Could some of you kind people spare some time to try this scene yourself and post your render times, please? I'd like to especially see the difference compared to a G5 to see if it's worthwhile upgrading to instead of waiting for the new Intel Mac.

Captain Obvious
10-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Is the perfume test scene only available for 8.5? :confused: I sure can't find one in my 8.2 contents folder.

awrieger
10-11-2005, 12:57 PM
I upgraded from 7.5 to 8.3 yesterday and then downloaded 8.5 straight away, so I bypassed 8.2. So I can't be sure about that.

My content folder came with the 8.3 package on the CDs, so it must have some extra files included after 8.0.

BazC
10-11-2005, 01:47 PM
My copy of 8.3 arrived today (Yay!) running in Discovery mode coz Newtek website won't accept my serail! (Boo!) Yes I've emailed them :)

EDIT I'm now registered, the problem was my stupidity, not Newtek's lol! Sorry!

Anyway, after much searching I found the Parfume.lws in Content disk 2 > Scenes > Lighting
It's taking an age to render on my 1.25GHz eMac, it's on the 3rd pass at the moment. Mind you I'm surfing at the same time which may be slowing things down a bit.

I'll post my time when it's finished. - Baz

BazC
10-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Are you ready for this?

Ihr 21m!!!

I've got to try this again with everything else switched off, that seems insanely slow!

I just ran it again with everything else turned off and it rendered in 1hr 10m 52s :(

Weepul
10-11-2005, 07:37 PM
I got 7 minutes 59 seconds with antialiasing OFF in LW 8.2, dual 1.25 GHz G4, 1.5 GB RAM, 8 threads. I don't know whether the times JML reported were with the scene's default antialiasing or with them off, but the large pictures he later posted (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=306854&postcount=62) are clearly with antialiasing off.

Interestingly, I got a different image than his - the background was sharper. Upon investigation, the Image World image has the plugin FP Blur on it - maybe it wasn't calculated. Right now I'm re-rendering after having explicitly viewed the Image World image, which should have forced it to compute the image filter.
[edit] 8 minutes 20 seconds this time (but I was doing other things on the computer too), and now it looks the same.

Also interestingly, I got the same clearer reflections that he saw in his 8.5 render - and I'm using 8.2 here.

BazC
10-12-2005, 03:46 AM
large pictures he later posted are clearly with antialiasing off.

Good point! With antialiasing off the scene renders in 14m 47s (LW8.3 OS10.3.9 1.25GHz G4 eMac 768Mb RAM)

awrieger
10-12-2005, 03:52 AM
Whew! 7m 59s is far more comparable to JML's 6m 18s, thanks Weepul. I was really worried there for a while. You'd assume if JML was going to post a speed test on a default LW scene file, he'd keep the default render settings so others could compare properly! Oh well.

So that's good thanks! It actually shows 2x1.25 G4s are only marginally slower than a big 3 P4 processor. I still wonder what the speed would be on a G5 then. I expect it would be fastest of all, especially if it's a dual 2.7.

Baz, that's very interesting! Two x 1.25 processors are exactly twice as fast as a single 1.25. So simply doubling the number of procesors doubles the speed! I would have expected there'd be some increase in speed, but not literally double!

3dworks
10-12-2005, 03:59 AM
17 min 18 sec with 4 threads and scene defaults on a double G5 at 2.7 ghz with LW 8.5 on OSX 10.4.3.

18 min 33 sec with the LW 8.3 version, same environment and settings.

btw. the parfume scene is located in content/scenes/lighting/ in the installed LW content directory...

below, you can see both renderings and the photoshop difference between them. it's rather evident that the backdrop (image world plugin) is rendererd differently in both versions, influencing all the reflections/ refractions of the rendering.

Weepul
10-12-2005, 04:25 AM
You'd assume if JML was going to post a speed test on a default LW scene file, he'd keep the default render settings so others could compare properly! Oh well.Yeah, I thought that was odd.

So that's good thanks! It actually shows 2x1.25 G4s are only marginally slower than a big 3 P4 processor. I still wonder what the speed would be on a G5 then. I expect it would be fastest of all, especially if it's a dual 2.7.I once tested the Shiny Art Balls (?) scene on a dual 2.5 G5 (with Digital Confusion disabled), and it was slightly faster than 2x my dual 1.25 G4... Let's compare to 3dworks' times:

17 min 18 sec on LW 8.5, that's obviously with antialiasing. It's Classic Enhanced Low in the unmodified scene, so approximately divide by 5 for one pass...that's (about) 3 min 30 sec, which fits as a little faster than twice mine.

Baz, that's very interesting! Two x 1.25 processors are exactly twice as fast as a single 1.25. So simply doubling the number of procesors doubles the speed! I would have expected there'd be some increase in speed, but not literally double!Well, there's more improvements between a G4 tower and an eMac than just an additional processor...I think. Actually, I'm not sure - current 1.42 GHz eMacs have the same bus speed as my comp AFAIK... In any case, it's scene-dependent. Scenes heavier on the rendering portion will benefit more; scenes heavier on geometry, deformations, pre-render calculations, or filters will benefit less, since in LW those calculations generally can only use one processor I've found.

-----

below, you can see both renderings and the photoshop difference between them. it's rather evident that the backdrop (image world plugin) is rendererd differently in both versions, influencing all the reflections/ refractions of the rendering.Thanks for your test. The LW 8.3 render you made shows the same non-blurring of the background image that I experienced - basically, LW "forgets" to apply the blurring filter unless you actually go view the image. Looks like that's been fixed in 8.5.

BazC
10-12-2005, 04:59 AM
Well, there's more improvements between a G4 tower and an eMac than just an additional processor...I think. Actually, I'm not sure - current 1.42 GHz eMacs have the same bus speed as my comp AFAIK... In any case, it's scene-dependent. Scenes heavier on the rendering portion will benefit more; scenes heavier on geometry, deformations, pre-render calculations, or filters will benefit less, since in LW those calculations generally can only use one processor I've found.

Yeah there's all kinds of differences between a PowerMac and my humble eMac lol, bus speed, frontside bus size, RAM type, all kinds of stuff I don't understand but I would think a single 1.25GHz G4 Powermac would be faster than my eMac. Actually I'm quite pleased the dual 1.25GHz is only twice as fast lol!

JML
10-12-2005, 06:36 AM
yes, the scene I rendered in the other thread was with just 1 pass on a single
p4.

it was just to benchmark between 8.2 and 8.5..

still with 1 pass, you can see it's faster and looks better..