PDA

View Full Version : HAS ANYBODY MANAGED TO 8.5 win32 RUNNING ON XP x64 SYSTEM?

Seagull
10-11-2005, 11:07 AM
I have been using a beta x64 dongle driver to run a very unstable LW 8.3 on a brand new full x64 system. So I did a fresh install (without installing the driver I have) for the 8.5 update hoping the beta dongle driver it was supposed to come with would improve things. Cleared all 8.3 config files etc, but the update would not install as it could not see a dongle so I re-installed the Rainbow beta driver and now there is four LW shortcuts on the desktop and LW8, LW8.5 Modeler/Layout listed in the start menu but they all open as LW 8.5 win32. The Sentinal Sever driver keeps trying to load itself and is stopped by windows due to incompatibilty and I can no longer load any content as files cannot be found. LW 64 is coming but 32 is supposed to work on XPx64. ANY IDEAS?

lightmax
10-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Yes, It's Working for me.

I'm Running winXP 64bit OS, Dual Xeon 64bit processors and 2 gig of Ram. I'm using a beta driver I got from Safenet. The only problem is that I have to install the drivers every time I turn the Machine back on. LOL

:D Cheers

lots
10-11-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm running 8.5 just fine on XP X64, Dual Opteron 246 and 2GB of RAM. Using the same beta driver as lightmax most likely. Though I dont have to reinstall the driver every time I reboot ;)

Seagull
10-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Yes, It's Working for me.

I'm Running winXP 64bit OS, Dual Xeon 64bit processors and 2 gig of Ram. I'm using a beta driver I got from Safenet. The only problem is that I have to install the drivers every time I turn the Machine back on. LOL

:D Cheers
Did you install 8.5 and have you had any of the problems I had. (Where is this driver that was to come with the update?) As for the dongle I just leave it plugged in and its fine. The Safenet Sentinal Services driver software is the problem as it is 2.7MB of 32bit (part application part driver), the x64 beta hardware USB driver is 61KB. My driver is the original beta released by Rainbow/Safenet months ago and then taken of the site. What-ever.. it just is not working right ,which can also be said of XP x64....but that is another long story. (I stopped laughing after reloading XP x64 for the 20th time!) ........If you find anything out PLEASE post it. (Dual Opteron Dual Cores). :jester: :bangwall:

nthused
10-11-2005, 02:47 PM
8.5 installed and running wonderfully on my Win64 machine.

Dell
Dual Core 3.0Ghz
4 GB RAM

Seagull
10-11-2005, 05:10 PM
8.5 installed and running wonderfully on my Win64 machine.

Dell
Dual Core 3.0Ghz
4 GB RAM
How did you go about installing 8.5. If you do not mind telling me, did you get your x64 dongle driver from the update. I followed the instructions from the site but it did not work properly. (How did I end up with multiple shortcuts and unable to load content.)

lots
10-11-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm using the same dongle driver I have been using for months. I used it with 8.3 and now 8.5, and have never had issues in relation to the dongle. When I installed 8.5 I just loaded up the download from newtek, let the installer do its magic, and I was in business. Nothing special done on my part.

Though after installation I noticed 4 lightwave icons appeared on my desktop (in addition to my 2 already [modeller/layout]) and thought it was odd. So I hit refresh on my desktop and 2 of them magically went away. The extra 2 were actually sitting in my all users' desktop directory, while the two I already had were added by me in my own account's desktop directory. So there was no oddness about that, windows simply doing what it is supposed to.

Sande
10-18-2005, 06:07 AM
Bit (but only a bit) off topic, but anyway:

I really think Newtek should abandon that stupid dongle-thingie. It has not stopped piracy and anyone can find cracked Lightwave from the internet. Dongle-protection was already cracked years ago in the Amiga-era and every version and update ever since has been cracked also.

That useless dongle only causes trouble to paying customers... :mad:

Dodgy
10-18-2005, 06:23 AM
Compared to other copy protections it's a blessing :) With softimage you have to jump through god knows how many hoops to get it working and you can only use it on one machine, similarly for Maya. With LW I installed my LW onto a portable HD and installed the sentinel drivers onto my work machine and my home machine. This means I can just go from one to the other and work wherever I am seamlessly.

nthused
10-18-2005, 06:39 AM
Compared to other copy protections it's a blessing :) With softimage you have to jump through god knows how many hoops to get it working and you can only use it on one machine, similarly for Maya. With LW I installed my LW onto a portable HD and installed the sentinel drivers onto my work machine and my home machine. This means I can just go from one to the other and work wherever I am seamlessly.

I completely agree. This 64bit driver issue is annoying, but it's short term. This will be resolved in short order - those of us who jumped into Microsofts new 64 bit OS are trail blazing - when doing that, one expects to tangle with bears more often than when taking the expressway.

I use AutoCAD at work...I HATE the software authorization keys. Feels like I need to get permission from daddy before using the software I just spent $3,500 on. To say nothing of the inability to install on more than 2 machines (one at home, one at work).

Let's keep the dongle.

IgnusFast
10-18-2005, 02:16 PM
I completely agree. This 64bit driver issue is annoying, but it's short term. This will be resolved in short order - those of us who jumped into Microsofts new 64 bit OS are trail blazing - when doing that, one expects to tangle with bears more often than when taking the expressway.

I use AutoCAD at work...I HATE the software authorization keys. Feels like I need to get permission from daddy before using the software I just spent $3,500 on. To say nothing of the inability to install on more than 2 machines (one at home, one at work).

Let's keep the dongle.

The fact that Worley can't get their plugins working with the 64-bit dongle drivers has been neither merely annoying NOR short term, but I can't lay that one at Newtek's feet... :)

nthused
10-18-2005, 02:30 PM
I hear you there, IgnusFast.

I LOVE FPrime...and would really like it if I could use it on my machine...but Worley never said it's plug ins were compatible to Win64 either - although when I bought my machine I would have considered that very highly...if I'd only known. I mostly kick my own butt on that one for not thinking about it.

Hope these "leaks" from Worley really mean SAS and FPrime will work on Win64.

Verlon
10-20-2005, 07:23 PM
I have used the same driver since 8.3 with no issues. I switched to Win64 in July. It does require a USB dongle though.

Worley asserts that they will have the copy protection problems sorted out soon, but I would guess LW64 will require some plugin re-writes.

groove660
10-20-2005, 09:03 PM
Not sure what all the fuss is about, i just did a fresh install of XP64 and then installed LW8.5 64bit using the following steps:

*Downloaded LW8.5 64bit and the beta drivers (50 or so kb file) that are mentioned in the PC help section

* plug dongle in, windows finds new hardware

* tell windows to search the folder where i stored the downloaded driver, it finds it and installs it

* open the LW64 installer let it run

* Register LW64 with my new key

* Run LW and it works fine, have done many restarts as well.

Cheers