PDA

View Full Version : Setting multiple color properties with one surface.

Josamoto
10-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Hi peoples!

Simple question...I have a car paint surface which serves as the base color for my sports car I'm texturing. Now, some parts of the model has decals on it, which I placed on the model by creating a new surface and placing the surface on the poly's where the decal is supposed to be.

I've now ended up with about 10 different Red Car Paint materials, each with a different alpha image on it.

What I want to do, is to be able to adjust the color on ALL the corresponding materials, by just adjusting one of them. Is it possible to link the color properties from these other materials to the base material.

I think I must be using Envelopes or something, but I am not exactly sure, so for now I have to select every material and change the color settings individually, which is a bit time consuming.

Hope someone can help, appreciate your interest!

Mylenium
10-11-2005, 11:39 AM
What I want to do, is to be able to adjust the color on ALL the corresponding materials, by just adjusting one of them. Is it possible to link the color properties from these other materials to the base material.

You could try using expressions or a master channel. Neither of the methods is a 100 percent safe, though.

I think I must be using Envelopes or something, but I am not exactly sure, so for now I have to select every material and change the color settings individually, which is a bit time consuming.

Did you know that you can multi-select surfaces in the Surface editor? This will make it much easier to adjust multiple parameters at a time. does not work for the textures, though, so it's still copy & paste there.

Mylenium

Josamoto
10-11-2005, 11:42 AM
It's a bit time consuming selecting the materials every time I want to make a change.

How would you go about setting up a master channel?

Exception
10-11-2005, 12:01 PM
In this case I would use one material, and a bunch of UV maps. UV map all of the polygons which have a decal on it individually, and then just stack the layers with the mapping settings for each decal on top of one another in the color channel. That way you have one surface and a lot of decals...

Alternatively, name the surfaces something in the order of Carpaint_Decal_1, Carpaint_Decal_2 and so on. That way they will be all together in the surfaces list and you just select the top one, hold down shift and select the bottom one and you have them all. You can then mass-edit all the surfaces at once.

Dodgy
10-11-2005, 12:14 PM
You can adjust texture maps too. If you select two surfaces and try to edit a texture, LW will make the texture layers in that channel the same before you edit them if they have corresponding textures. If you have a texture and a gradient on one, and the same texture on another, then LW will allow you to edit the texture's values, and it won't affect the gradient.

Josamoto
10-12-2005, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I've gone for the renaming option, which makes selection so much easier if all the related surfaces are sorted and close to one another.

I think having to develop a script might be a bit more time consuming, so the above option works for me!