PDA

View Full Version : Sun Tzu

Fausto
10-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Security against defeat implies defensive tactics; ability to defeat the enemy means taking the offensive. Standing on the defensive indicates insufficient strength; attacking, a superabundance of strength. [4:5]

Sun Tzu

LWnexgen
10-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Whats up with the quote? nice image though...the cap on the pen seems to be below the plane of the table though

Fausto
10-13-2005, 03:04 PM
The quote is from Sun Tzu, from the Art of War, it's about doing whatever's necessary to win, being the aggressor. The concept of the still life is, about marking cards, doing what ever is necessary to ensure victory.

Not sure why the cap appears to be below the surface, it clearly isn't in the wireframe. Oh well, thanks for your comments.

kyuzo
10-14-2005, 05:06 AM
Nice image. The DOF is nice and subtle, natural lighting and well textured and modelled. I like the blurred reflections too.
However (and not wanting to drag this thread way off topic!) I disagree that Sun Tzu wrote that you have to be the aggressor. All the tactics he discussess are about covering every angle, and making sure that a battle is won before it starts. He was strongly influenced by taoist philosophies, and the similar principles of ju and yawara. You do not have to be the aggressor. And if he knew you were applying his tactics to cheating at cards he would be spinnng in his grave... :devil:

Derek

spec24
10-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Whats up with the quote? nice image though...the cap on the pen seems to be below the plane of the table though

the top of the cap is angled which is why I think you think it's going below the surface of the table. Just an illusion.

Fausto
10-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the comments. My goal was to explore a concept, an idea that I could attach a visual representation to. I didn't want to make the idea totally obvious, and I didn't want to spell it out literally so that people viewing it would immediately understand it. What's the fun in that? :) I've read the Art of War, got turned on to it as a premise for being aggressive in business. In reading it I thought, this material as with many literal works could be applied or relative to countless situations and scenarios. I imagined this one. Someone so desperate to win that they take every precaution and every step to win. Granted, in some people's opinions this may be too great a distortion of what Sun Tzu intended, but isn't that the fun part?

The quote above is a direct quote from Art of War. I interpreted it as doing what's needed to ensure victory.

People have been applying his philosophy to many things over many decades and centuries. This piece is a bit of tongue and cheek at that. Have you ever seen the movie "Being there"? It's about a mentally retarded, and I mean that in a literal sense not mentally disabled, but retarded, a held back person that grew up totally isolated from outside influences, aside from the television he loved to watch that is. Everything that the character spoke about was directly and literally related to gardening because that was his vocation and passion. The people that discovered him after his caretaker an elderly man that looked after him since he was an infant had passed away, saw him as a highly intelligent deep thinker. They interpreted every thing that he said as a parable of deeper meaning. They attached meaning to what he was saying although what he was intending was literally about gardening.

Life is a state of mind.

Cheers,

kyuzo
10-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Hi Fausto,
Yeah, the great thing about the Art of War is that it can be applied to all aspects of Life. The interpretation of the work will depend on the particular translation and how it is applied to a situation. :agree:
My experience of it comes through a Japanese viewpoint... (okay, bear with me here) In ancient Japan, the Samurai sat at the top of the social order. Next came the artisans and craftsmen, then the peasants tilling the fields. Below the peasants came the merchants and traders. The merchants were particularly disliked because the aquisition of wealth as a goal in life was bad enough, but when traders started acting as if they understood the life and death warrior/bushido beliefs (such as the art of war) the Samurai were REALLY insulted. Traders began thinking that making a quick buck (or yen) was like winning a battle and losing some cash was like losing a battle. I'm sure anyone who has fought in a battle to the death will tell you they are not the same thing.
Anyway, trying to get back to the thread... Gamblers were seen as wasters who were way below merchants in the grand scheme of things. So you can imagine how people felt about gamblers who started spouting about warrior philosophies. Never mind one who CHEATS :devil: and tries to justify it with warrior philosophies! :D

Anyway, back to your pic. I really like it. Not just as a CGI image, but because your image and the title you gave it has done (for me anyway) something so much CGI doesn't do - it has evoked an emotional response. I'm sure you didn't expect the picture to generate the response I had, but that's not the point! This what 'real art' is about. Keep it up.

Derek

Fausto
10-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks Derek I appreciate the insight from your perspective and appreciate the encouraging words. My background many moons ago was in fine art, still life, portraiture and landscape. I painted and sculpted for a living, I did that for 12 years fulltime. It was only after my dislike of the trend toward mass production (offset lithographic prints) grew too great that I moved into commercial art. I know, what can I say, I was young, and really naive.

Itís only now after hitting the 45 mark (Iím tired of working for a living) and things business wise are good that Iím longing to reestablish that connection to my first love, Art. Plus I want to golf more!

Cheers,