PDA

View Full Version : 8.5 update has some CRC issues.

kiwisheep
10-10-2005, 10:16 PM
I downloaded the 8.5 update and failed to uncompress the file via WinZip 9.0 becauses it says the CRC do not match. Do you where I can download a working zip file?

Thanks
Kiwi

inquisitive
10-10-2005, 10:22 PM
maybe you should try to download it again.. mine unzip fine using winzip 8.1

groove660
10-10-2005, 10:28 PM
what are you using to download it with? i had similar problems with other files on my new PC (see thred called "need help with download errors" in the PC help section) turned out to be a problem with some setting in motherboard.

Cheers

inquisitive
10-10-2005, 11:51 PM
downloaded via the browser after I login into the members area... is there any other way to download?

kiwisheep
10-11-2005, 12:57 AM
I turned off cybersitter on my pc and the zip file now works! It looks like cybersitter is finding some objectionable material in the zip file :-).
Thank you guys for the help.

iFX
10-11-2005, 01:44 AM
Sorry I just noticed that the problem was already solved... duuuhhh... serves me right for not reading everything properly ;)
I'll leave it anyway, just in case someone wants to try the alternative of download via ftp next time.

---------------------
Are you using Internet Explorer? I've noticed that many times, it will tell you something was downloaded successfully when in fact it wasn't... eg, one time I was watching it download a pdf file, it slowly got to 70% then jumped straight to 100% - I thought it was strange, and sure enough, the pdf was corrupt... ended up changing my browser ;)

But I now just download the newtek updates via ftp. How do I know the address? Well, when you click on the download link (after logging in), it redirects you to an ftp:// address with the username and password... I can see what it is by checking the file properties in firefox's download manager when it starts to download.

I just copy that ftp:// address and my ftp app (smartftp) picks up the address and asks me if I want it to download it. I then cancel the firefox download and add the file to the download queue in smartftp. That way, if there's a problem smartftp can always continue where it left off without any hassles - I find ftp apps are always faster to download and have better recovery options when files don't download correctly the first time.

If you're after the ftp://... address I'm afraid I can't post it... I don't think that would be a good idea as then anyone, even people that don't have a valid copy of lw will be able to download the update... sorry. Though if you continue to have problems with your browser downloading the file, I'm sure you shouldn't have too much of a problem working out the address... I think IE also shows the address in the file download window - you might have to click and drag your mouse over it to select it all as it will probably get cut off by the edge of the window.

the ftp links are usually in the format:
ftp://username:[email protected]/path_to_file/file_to_download

Hope it helps.