PDA

View Full Version : Procedurals won't show

hrgiger
10-10-2005, 12:38 PM
The following procedural don't show up on my GeForce 6200(which is OGL 2.0 supported and I have the latest driver from Nvidia):

Crumple
Crust
Dots
Fractal Noise
STClouds
Veins
Coriolis
Cyclone
Dented
FBM Noise
Hetero Terrain
Hybrid Multi-fractal
Multi-fractal
Puffy clouds
Ridged Multi-fractal
Turbulent Noise

Can anyone else confirm any of these? Also, how does having OGL textures enabled affect your performance. I would say that mine gets cut about in half.

Jockomo
10-10-2005, 12:42 PM
You have to turn on the support in the display options.
Some of those showed up for me, but not all.

Check out the Textures.lws in Benchmark.

It would be interesting to see how different display cards are handling the ogl textures in that scene. I'll try to grab a screenshot of mine.
BTW my videocard is the one listed as minimum requirements.

I suppose the most common answer to questions like these will be:
Did you load the latest drivers, do you have the proper items turned on in the driver software, etc.

Perhaps we need a thread that shows screengrabs and info about what card you are using and which driver. A library like that could be pretty useful.

hrgiger
10-10-2005, 12:46 PM
I know that. These are just the ones that don't show up at all. All the other procedurals work fine.

My video card is better then the minimum required, by how much, I'm not sure though.

Dodgy
10-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Yeah, not all the procedurals work as yet. Guess the rest (and hopefully more speed!) will come with 9.

Straight textures seem to be quick though....

hunter
10-10-2005, 01:00 PM
I got dots but none of the others. Nvidia 5500
I also can't get supershift to work, keep getting error cannot load plugin although it's been loaded. Sigh, Looks like another bug free update huh?

Dodgy
10-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Super shift has been replaced with Multishift, so delete that item from your menus.

Plus I get most of the procedurals running a 5600 ultra, and some lighting, but no shadows. Not sure we're supposed to get those though.

devin
10-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Quadro 900 XGL here with the latest drivers but I'm not getting any procedurals. Shouldn't this card support OpenGL 2.0 through the driver update? I checked the options as well in the nvidia display properties. It's set to LW. Am aI missing anything?

hunter
10-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Super shift has been replaced with Multishift, so delete that item from your menus.

Plus I get most of the procedurals running a 5600 ultra, and some lighting, but no shadows. Not sure we're supposed to get those though.

Yeah, I kinda errored myself to that solution. Turns out I have a bug. :D

hrgiger
10-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Quadro 900 XGL here with the latest drivers but I'm not getting any procedurals. Shouldn't this card support OpenGL 2.0 through the driver update? I checked the options as well in the nvidia display properties. It's set to LW. Am aI missing anything?

Did you check the OGL display option in the display panel in Lightwave itself?

devin
10-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Yep. The options are on, including GLSL HW Shading.

Lottmedia
10-10-2005, 01:32 PM
OK, this sounds silly, but bear with me. You guys are in Layout, right? I spent a while wondering why it wasn't working in Modeler before I went into Layout and it's fine. I just assumed it was Modeler. Gotta admit, think it would be more useful in Modeler but hey! And yeah, FX5600 on a 3Gh machine and I'm just turning the OGL shaders off. Had one square (1m x 1m) poly with default procedural and could barely rotate it on the screen. Oh well...

hrgiger
10-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Yes, I am in Layout. I didn't even bother trying it in modeler.

mkiii
10-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Just in case this slipped by you in your excitement - from the 8.5 front page:

Known issues:
-Some of the functions of the GLSL Hardware Shaders are currently having conflicts with ATI graphics cards. NewTek and ATI are working on this issue, so be sure to keep up with the latest drivers for your graphics card.

Nice to know this beforehand eh? :grumpy:

So what I get on my Radeon 9800 Pro is a crash to desktop when I try to load an object into layout that is hi-poly with large textures that used to load OK.

So to summarize. No OGL improvement in modeler, and a crash in layout when I try to use the new functions on my supposedly above spec card.

Bah.

Oh..... and wtf is FSPE in the General Options Prefs panel. It isn't mentioned anywhere in the 8.5 Readme file?

dee
10-10-2005, 02:13 PM
FSPE = Full Scene Parameter Evaluation, i think.

gjjackson
10-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Just in case this slipped by you in your excitement - from the

Oh..... and wtf is FSPE in the General Options Prefs panel. It isn't mentioned anywhere in the 8.5 Readme file?

It's for IK Data. Menioned in the PDF.

Qexit
10-10-2005, 02:29 PM
FSPE = Full Scene Parameter Evaluation, i think.Correct :) This feature has been in LW for a very long time and people have been turning it on by accident for an equally long time causing massive slowdowns in Layout. It's nice to see Newtek have added in a visible toggle to activate and deactivate this feature. It will eliminate quite a few head-banging/hair-tearing out sessions for users :compbeati

Proj
10-10-2005, 03:19 PM
the option HLGL isnt available, just out of interest when i upgrade my graphics card to one that isnt ancient will it suddenly appear or do i have to reinstall? thanks

Bog
10-10-2005, 03:33 PM
mkiii,

All I can really say is... With so many people clamouring (at best) for an immediate 8.5 release, it's obvious that the delays are ATI graphics-card related. Given that it was cheese everyone off, or cheese off ATI users mainly... well... *shrug* Bad luck, dude. FWIW, I've not put 8.5 on my (ATI videoed) laptop yet. It's a smidge sluggish on my Mainbox with the multichannel switched on.

But *GH0D* it renders fast! :D :D :D

Qexit
10-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Provided your graphics card is OpenGL2 compliant, it should just appear. This happened when I swapped my Quadro4 980XGL to a QuadroFX 500. No reinstall of LW was required to activate the new OpenGL features. Just one thing though, you do have to enable OpenGL Multi-texturing before you can activate the GLSL HW Shading. If you don't then GLSL is greyed out along with the other features in the panel.

ibanezhead
10-11-2005, 05:09 AM
I'm running a Geforce 6600 and am not able to see Crust, Crumple, and Veins... The rest seem to work.

Lude
10-11-2005, 05:35 AM
i've got a Quadro FX 3400 and yes quite a few do nothing as of yet.

Bog
10-11-2005, 05:56 AM
GeForce fx5700OC

Casualties:

Crust
Crumple
Fractal Noise
STClouds
Veins
Coriolis
Cyclone
Dented
FBM Noise
Hetero Terrain
Hybrid Multifractal
Multifractal
Puffy Clouds
Ridged Multifractal
Turbulent Noise

That's just tryign those in the Colour Channel. Bit of a disappointment, that, as most of the Actually Interesting Ones don't currently work.

Still, it's nice to be able to get an at-a-glance sanity-check on my proc texture sizes, all the same.

T-Light
10-11-2005, 07:00 AM
Says in the 8.5 readme that only the following procedurals are supported...

Value
Brick
Ripples
Ripples2
Grid
Honeycomb
Dots
Underwater
Bumparray
Marble
Wood
Checkerboard
Turbulence
Smoky1
Smoky2
Smoky3
FBM

EDIT- I'm running ATI cards, at present on the main machine I'm not getting...
Brick
Bump Array
Grid

Lynx3d
10-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Wow finally someone found the readme and was able to read it :D

T-Light
10-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Lynx3D-

Wow finally someone found the readme and was able to read it :D
Yes, that readme could have done with it's own readme :D

Rabbitroo
10-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Just in case this slipped by you in your excitement - from the 8.5 front page:

Known issues:
-Some of the functions of the GLSL Hardware Shaders are currently having conflicts with ATI graphics cards. NewTek and ATI are working on this issue, so be sure to keep up with the latest drivers for your graphics card.

Nice to know this beforehand eh? :grumpy:

So what I get on my Radeon 9800 Pro is a crash to desktop when I try to load an object into layout that is hi-poly with large textures that used to load OK.

So to summarize. No OGL improvement in modeler, and a crash in layout when I try to use the new functions on my supposedly above spec card.

Bah.

Welcome to the world of being a "Mac" user (or PC's with ATI.)
:devil:

-K

T-Light
10-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Rabbitroo

Welcome to the world of being a "Mac" user (or PC's with ATI.) :devil:

Aw, it's not all bad, I've noticed a couple of issues with some of the blend modes with procedurals, but even in the ATI drivers current state, some of this stuff should be really usefull.

Here's a quick screen shot running with an ATI 9600 Pro. Two procedurals with both layers also pasted into the specular channels, side by side with FPrime 2.0. :thumbsup:

devin
10-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Well, I've updated my Quadro4 900 XGL to the latest 77.56 drivers. Problem: My OpenGL still reads as 1.53 even after a complete uinstall/reinstall. Anyone encountered this? Will my card simply not support this version of OpenGL? I can't seem to find any info on this though Nvidia's open architecture blurbs seem to indicate that driver updates should do the trick.

Appreciate any help.
Devin

Lynx3d
10-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Simply a too old card...it uses NV25GL, and the drivers only support OpenGL 2.0 on NV3x(GL) and later GPUs.

devin
10-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Thanks Lynx3D!

KRoo2
10-11-2005, 11:44 AM
Rabbitroo

Aw, it's not all bad, I've noticed a couple of issues with some of the blend modes with procedurals, but even in the ATI drivers current state, some of this stuff should be really usefull.

Here's a quick screen shot running with an ATI 9600 Pro. Two procedurals with both layers also pasted into the specular channels, side by side with FPrime 2.0. :thumbsup:

Man that looks good! I love the side-by-side with Fprime!

Have you tried any test scenes with lots of polys (say about 500K)? How does those work with OGL2. We love Fprime where I am, but this is fantastic if it can really spin through real-time.

Any more pics?
:thumbsup:

-K

prospector
10-11-2005, 12:51 PM
X800..256 meg card
5.9 catalyst drivers

Not working;

Crumple
Crust
Nothing of FIs
Fractal noise
OGO Waves
Ripples (changes colors but no banding, no matter the size)
St Clouds
Smokey2 (main color change...no alt color)
Smokey3 (main color change...no alt color)
Underwater...(main color-no alt color_
Veins
Coriolis
Cyclone
Dented
FMB Noise (tho FMB works)
Hetro-terrain
Hybrid Multi Fractal
Multi Fractal
Puffy Clouds
Riged Multi-Fractal
Turbulent Noise

Smokey works but not 2 and 3 ????
HMMmmm

Going to switch card to the 9550 and post that

Tiger
10-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Here is a lws. with about 65000 polys. I have Ati radeon 9600 128 mb and Intel pentium 4-3GHz. :I_Love_Ne

prospector
10-11-2005, 02:01 PM
ATI 9550 256 meg
5.9 drivers

same as above (X800)
except
no brick
no dots
no grid
checkerboard is color change but no alt color

but I get ALL the smokeys and ripple and underwater

dgon64
10-11-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm using an XFX GF 6600 with the latest nvidia drivers. The procedurals mentioned in the read-me file work as advertised so no complaints here about that but sure would love to see the rest show up eventually- BTW kudos to Newtek. I wish some of my other software was as concerned about keeping their loyal customers happy.

FranK10
10-12-2005, 08:27 AM
@Tiger:

That scene hasn't procedurals, only image maps. In fact if you disable OGL2 features, it displays the same.

T-Light
10-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Kroo2-

Man that looks good! I love the side-by-side with Fprime!

Have you tried any test scenes with lots of polys (say about 500K)? How does those work with OGL2. We love Fprime where I am, but this is fantastic if it can really spin through real-time.

Any more pics?

Haven't tried anything with that many poly's (aka 500k). The small ball scene above will whip through in real time and the image below will update at a decent 10fps (or so).

OpenGL textures are set to 1024*1024, the only bitmap textures in use are actually for the bricks as my card can't handle the procedural bricks :cry:
Everything else (diffuse/specular/colour) is created via procedurals and gradients. :thumbsup:

HowardM
10-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Just a side question, Why cant LW do realtime shadows like game engines?
Or at least low res approximations for us in OGL?

T-Light
10-12-2005, 01:50 PM
HowardM-

Why cant LW do realtime shadows like game engines?

Fingers crossed for 9.0 :)

And fingers crossed for England thrashing Poland in the second half, although I don't think Newtek can help much there. :D

B*gger. it's started.

Dodgy
10-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Not thrashed, but won :)

Bog
10-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Just a side question, Why cant LW do realtime shadows like game engines?

Those are a combination of pre-calc and hand-tweaked stuff. Also, a lot of the game engine stuff has been long-time hacking by dangerously weird code poets, and is utterly propriety - people have put as long into game engines as NT have into, f'rexample, just Hypervoxels.

T-Light
10-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Tis true Bog, but hardware shadows are available in both DirectX and OpenGL, of course they may be extortionately S-L-O-W with anything but a basic game scene poly count and a decent amount of geometry culling.

Perhaps Newtek could devise a similar scheme to their OpenGL depth blur option, ie press a button and wait a couple of seconds for a shadowed still frame. :)

ps
E.N.G-E.R-L.A.N.D :boogiedow :rock: :boogiedow