PDA

View Full Version : Bug Workshop - LightWave 8.5

Pages : [1] 2

Chuck
10-10-2005, 12:29 PM
In the interest of having a one-stop shop for reporting bugs on the forum, this thread is for reporting bugs and identifying which platforms are affected. Please try to cross-reference the Bug Workshop threads on the Mac and PC support forums - all bugs should appear here, and platform specific bugs should be reported on the Bug Workshop thread on the platform specific forums as well.

Suggested format:

-------------------------------------

# 001 Ref number for tracking and Bug confirmation from other users.

LW 8.2, OS: Mac 10.3.4/Win XP, G4 800/P4 Xeon 2.8G, 512MB/1GB

-------------------------------------

Followed then of course by the bug report, with numbered steps to repeat the error. Followed hopefully by confirmation from other users.

FAQ on Workshop Procedures:

Is it best to edit a previous post or make a new post, when there is new information on a given bug?

There is a reasonable enough case for each alternative to make doing both worth considering. Editing the initial report post can make things easier for folks coming to the thread new and going through it for the first time (it would be a good idea to include the date as part of your entry for the new info added this way); however, it might also be wise to provide for those who have been reading as the thread developed and who jump to the end when they come back, by appending a new post with a note such as "Post # 43 has been edited to include this new information about bug #052: [paste new info here]."

Should I post only bugs that are new in this version, or can I post bugs that existed before?

Any bug that exists in the current build should be reported in the Workshop thread. If it also existed in the previous build or perhaps even recurred from some earlier version, then that information should be noted as well, with reference to the previous workshop thread and post in which it was previously reported, if available, or the previous version in which it occurred.

What's on-topic in this thread?

This thread has special rules, and those are:

- reports should clearly describe the bug being reported;

- only bug reports, confirmations, and workarounds are on topic;

- the thread is not the place for any kind of venting.

Report the bug here, and if you want to ventilate about how much the bug frustrates you, lecture the programmers, etc., start a new thread for that - don't do it here.

mkiii
10-10-2005, 09:29 PM
LW 8.5 WinXP Pro on P4 3.02 Ghz with Radeon 9800 Pro. 2Gb RAM

UV Editor still leaves floating points positioned over the UV map after editing or remapping an object. As in 8.2, & 8.3 these points can cause accidental selection of unwanted polygons if they are within a selection.

If you delete them, the associated polys are also deleted.

This makes editing a complex UV map difficult.

For example.
1: Create a box.
2: Apply a UV map. Atlas for instance.
3: Edit for a while (try slicing the polys on the box, or using Bandslice)
Stray points are created on the UV map. To see them better select all polys on the UV map, and move outside the grid.
4: See the resulting stray points.
5: In Poly mode, lassoo some of these points. You will see that some of the polys that you moved previously have been selected.

You can (usually) remove these points with the Clear Map command, but you have to double check that they have not randomly selected polys for you. It is also very difficult to find them on a dense mesh.

This is just about managable on a box. It is not managable on a 100k+ poly object.

mkiii
10-10-2005, 09:46 PM

Numeric Texture Guide Cubic map overlaps the faces rather than creating a cubic map.

Try it on a box that is centred on 0,0,0.

evenflcw
10-10-2005, 10:03 PM
#0003 - Scene Editor crashes when deleted item isn't found
LW 8.5 (8.2, 8.3), Win2000, AMD64 3200+, 512MB

SHORT DESCRIPTION:
LW crashes when the Scene Editor is reopened after an item has been deleted and this item was previously visible in the Scene Editor. This bug was present in 8.2, 8.3 and still remains in 8.5. (Despite that fact, it does not seem to have been reported in any previous workshops.)

STEPS:
1. Add two nulls. Leave the names at default.
2. Open Scene Editor.
3. Close Scene Editor.
4. Delete selected null.
5. Open Scene Editor.
-> Crash!

The crash only seems to occurs when the deleted item was previously visible in the Scene Editor (in step 2). If the deleted item was hidden under a closed hierarchy or outside the SE window border it doesn't crash. As such it seems to be a display problem. SE is trying to redraw information it doesn't have. This is a major bug and it has the potency to crash any scene where an item has been deleted with the Scene Editor closed.

PLEASE EVERYONE, TRY TO STICK TO THE SUGGESTED FORMAT as much as possible! The other workshops looks a mess! If you just want to express your general malcontent please use another forum!

mkiii
10-10-2005, 10:06 PM
#0003 - Confirmed

Confirmed

[ok - reverted...]

zareh
10-11-2005, 04:22 AM
#0004 Menu Layout "New Divider" doesn't work.

LW 8.5, OS: WinXP Pro SP2, P4 3.2Ghz, 2GB RAM

When one is in "Edit Menu Layout"
and adds a new divider using the
"new divider" buttion
it does not show up in the menu
layout.

Scott Gammans
10-11-2005, 07:36 AM
#0005 LW 8.5 is even MORE of a memory hog than 8.3

Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM

LightWave 8.5 is even MORE of a memory hog than 8.3, if that's possible. A scene which rendered fine in LW 8.3 at 4800x3600 with a single 10000-size shadow-mapped spotlight causes LW 8.5 to plotz with that hateful "Not enough memory for image processing" error message... an error message which oh-so-NOT-helpfully waits to occur until at the very end of an hour-long render.

Scott Gammans
10-11-2005, 07:42 AM
#0006 OpenGL 2.0 freaks out in Modeler with GeForce 8900XT

Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, GeForce 8900XT with latest (78.01) drivers

Smooth shading and textured views in Modeler "freak out" when zooming in towards fairly large (~ 750,000 polys) objects in LW 8.5 with the latest drivers (v78.01) for the GeForce 8900XT. Surfaces suddenly go transparent at random (even polygons with the same surface definition), or they disappear entirely.

kcole
10-11-2005, 08:20 AM
#0007 Enabling GLSL HW Shading crashes layout with some scenes (e.g. Household\Glass&Cigarettes.lws)

LW 8.5, Win XP Pro, P4 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Radeon 9800 XT with latest (5.9) drivers

Note: Works fine on WinXP Pro, Athlon 64 3700+, 1.5 GB RAM, Radeon X800 PRO with 5.9 drivers

JML
10-11-2005, 08:58 AM

CONFIRMED

P4 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, winXP pro, Ati9800pro

I had a scene with 1.7 millions polygons, and 30 spot lights at a resolution of
5400x3600, it renders fine in 8.3
(8 segments)

in 8.5, it says "not enough memory for frame buffer"

---

a workaround, you can split it with limited region and then it will work..
I just did not have to do that before on those small scene, I would usually do it on bigger scene..

I wish the number of segments in camera property would behave the same of having multiple limited region..
then we would not be limited in resolution

Scott Gammans
10-11-2005, 10:13 AM
CONFIRMED

It makes absolutely no sense to me why this error message would occur at the very very end of a rendering session when the rendering engine has already gone to all of the trouble of rendering the whole @#$! frame. Seems like inefficient design to me--you've already got the entire frame in memory, and now you're allocating even more memory for "image processing" and it's failing...??? In that scenario, why not write out the render data to disk, free up some memory, allocate the new memory for image processing, and read the data back from disk for the image processing? I mean, come on! :devil:

byte_fx
10-11-2005, 10:28 AM

Maybe not be a bug - but still a major problem.

'Load Object into Layer' is no longer an option in Modeler. Or maybe it just moved to some arcane location.

Whatever the reason - without it Modeler 8.5 is useless for the work I do.

I'm going back to 8.3 and doubt I'll ever go past that version.

byte_fx

JML
10-11-2005, 10:42 AM

for me, the error message happens at the begining and can't start
same problem though..

Dodgy
10-11-2005, 11:19 AM

'Load Object into Layer' is no longer an option in Modeler. Or maybe it just moved to some arcane location.

byte_fx

It's still there for me. WinXP 26Ghz P4 1Gig ram GF4600 ti.

mkiii
10-11-2005, 11:25 AM

byte_fx

It's right there in the File menu, 3 lines from the top, right under Load Object.
it is in a script called loadobjn2lyr.ls

Chuck
10-11-2005, 01:59 PM
[change list edited - original numbering was correct] It will be a terrific help if you check for this immediately after posting, and make a correction if needed. I've edited all posts and quotes to this point and corrected the numbering. We'll try to have someone check and correct daily and post to confirm "correct to this point", but again, it will be tremendously helpful if you can double-check immediately upon posting, or review back to the point where NewTek staff has posted that the numbering has been reviewed by us and corrected if needed.

And thanks very much for jumping right into reporting and confirming! :)

byte_fx
10-11-2005, 04:51 PM
It's still there for me. WinXP 26Ghz P4 1Gig ram GF4600 ti.

Re #0008

Well - it's not on all three of my systems - one P4, one Opteron, one dual Xeon. Operating systems, in order, xp sp1, xp sp2, server 2003 64 bit.

Someone posted elsewhere that 'Load Object into Layer' is under 'Additional'. As I have over 350 items under 'Additional' (lots of personal plugins) and the plugin editor is also giving me problems (can't move items around) I'll stick with 8.3 until I can find a replacement for Lightwave.

[rant removed by moderators]

byte_fx

Chuck
10-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Re #0008

Well - it's not on all three of my systems - one P4, one Opteron, one dual Xeon. Operating systems, in order, xp sp1, xp sp2, server 2003 64 bit.

Someone posted elsewhere that 'Load Object into Layer' is under 'Additional'. As I have over 350 items under 'Additional' (lots of personal plugins) and the plugin editor is also giving me problems (can't move items around)...

Are you actually referring to the Menu Editor? The plugin should not be missing after the update. If it is, then there may have been a problem during the install or you may need to clear your configs and rescan your plug-ins. The plug-in should show up on the Additional menu under the Utilities Tab if you have not assigned it elsewhere. In the Menu Editor, it will be listed in the Command Window (left side) under Additional. The list is alphabetical. You can place it on whatever menu you think most appropriate - I just now added it below Load on the File menu, to test this out.

Hoopti
10-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Are you actually referring to the Menu Editor? The plugin should not be missing after the update. If it is, then there may have been a problem during the install or you may need to clear your configs and rescan your plug-ins. The plug-in should show up on the Additional menu under the Utilities Tab if you have not assigned it elsewhere. In the Menu Editor, it will be listed in the Command Window (left side) under Additional. The list is alphabetical. You can place it on whatever menu you think most appropriate - I just now added it below Load on the File menu, to test this out.

It was on my 8.3, it somehow got bounced from my 8.5. I went into the file menu and added it easily back in. Make sure the plugin is still there and active and it's easy to do. Not sure why it disappeared during the install though. All fixed here.

Hoop

pawn707
10-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Bug #0009

LW 8.5, OS:Win XP, P4 2.8, 512MB, GeForce Go FX 64MB (HP ZD7000 series laptop)

This is a very simple bug, but quite frustrating!

1) Open file "File_v012.lwo" on my external drive via desktop shortcut.

2) Everything fine except LW shows a different file name (in the "open models" box, next to the layer boxes).

3) Saving the file again doesn't fix it; going into my original directory it has changed the name of the file completely (rather, created a new file). Saving a "version" simply saves the wierd filename with "..001.lwo" suffix (starting the versioning at 001 again)

Wierd file names that I've seen are like this: "BL56EA~1.LWO". This has seeminly nothing to do with the original file name AND it's been converted to all caps.

4) Something I haven't been able to reproduce is the inability to save versions when I started making new files to test out the above bug. It would give me error messages referring to algorithims and things like that. This is aside from the above bug.

This problem seems to NOT occur when the file names are short, like 5 characters. Does this have anything to do with old school file names in Windows? Like back in the day you couldn't have long file names.

Also one thing I noticed different between 8.3 and 8.5 is that it now says "Lightwave Modeler (Win 32)" in the top bar of the program.

Thanks.

Panikos
10-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Bug #0010

Spinning Distant Light on heading/pitch in some frames creates confusion.
I compared the results of LW8.3 vs LW8.5
I already sent a simplistic scene to Chuck and Deuce :cursin:

Surrealist.
10-11-2005, 09:01 PM
0011- Just thought I'd put this one here rather than the other thread as according to the docs previous layer is supported:

However no go for me:

Scott Gammans
10-12-2005, 07:37 AM
#0012 Hyperspace plugin crashes Layout at high rez

Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Hyperspace plugin v1.01

Camera resolutions above approximately 4000x3000 cause Layout to crash when the Hyperspace image filter plugin is in use, even if the scene is completely empty. What's "interesting" about this issue is that if you render a scene at a lower resolution (e.g., 2400x1800) and then gradually increase the output resolution in steps for successive resolutions (e.g., 3000x2250, 3600x2700, etc.), you can "sneak up" on higher rendered output resolutions. There appears to be an upper limit to how high you can go, though... 4800x3600 seems to crash Layout no matter what you do.

I'm not sure if this bug report belongs here or not, but Filip Camermans (the author of the Hyperspace image filter plugin for Layout) insists it's an issue with LightWave's memory management for plugins, so there you go.

mkiii
10-12-2005, 10:14 AM
RE Bug #0009

I had a similar experience today. A file named somethingorother_LOD2.lwo

I Saved incrementally & it was renamed to somethingorother_V003.lwo

Once I manually edited the original it progressed in the normal manner, but it seems likely that rather than reading the entire V00n part of the filename, it is just reading the last digits.

This could overwrite previous files.

BazC
10-12-2005, 10:36 AM
#0013 Vertices only visible in wireframe and color wireframe in Modeler.

LW8.5 OS10.3.9 1.25GHz G4 Radeon 9200 768 mb RAM

I just noticed that changing the surface to double sided allows the verts to be seen so at least there's a workround!

hunter
10-12-2005, 10:47 AM
LW 8.5
Confirmed, but if you create the uv map after slicing all is well.

Chuck
10-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Added numbering to Post#22, bug #0011.

To all, it will be a terrific help if you check for numbering immediately after posting - forgotten, or if someone else was also posting at the same time, duplicated - and make a correction if needed. We'll try to have someone check and correct daily and post to confirm "correct to this point", but again, it will be tremendously helpful if you can double-check immediately upon posting, or review back to the point where NewTek staff has posted that the numbering has been reviewed by us and corrected if needed.

Thanks again, for your reports and confirmations!

Surrealist.
10-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Added numbering to Post#22, bug #0011.

To all, it will be a terrific help if you check for numbering immediately after posting - forgotten, or if someone else was also posting at the same time, duplicated - and make a correction if needed. We'll try to have someone check and correct daily and post to confirm "correct to this point", but again, it will be tremendously helpful if you can double-check immediately upon posting, or review back to the point where NewTek staff has posted that the numbering has been reviewed by us and corrected if needed.

Thanks again, for your reports and confirmations!

Sorry. I know it is hard on your end keeping track of these things. It is really a pain at times doing this chipping in, but I and others do from time to time wth no pay, no benifits and no perks of beta testing. I do it becase a) I care about newtek and the product and b) I want it fixed so it will work properly as promised and c) I want continued expansion of this product to new users who may or may not have a chance to be as loyal.

The actual number of things that simply do not work or are bugged on my system that actually work on other's is staggering. To the point I almost don't have the incentive to keep reporting.

But when I do report, sometimes I am wrong, other times I am right, other times I am right but seem to be the only one with the problem.

I am running on an AMD FX series chip. I have no idea what part of my system is causing these discrepencies. I wish I did know.

But when I do report I am sorry but I really do not want to read though the entire thread each time to see who has reported what.

That's just me.

pawn707
10-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Bug #0014 (which relates to my bug #0009 somewhat)

LW 8.5, OS:Win XP, P4 2.8, 512MB, GeForce Go FX 64MB (HP ZD7000 series laptop)
__________________________________________________ ________________

When I encountered bug #0009 I tried to make a workaround by "Saving As" a shorter file name, which worked fine. The file name was no longer wierd.

However upon trying to Save Version (Shift + S) of the aforementioned file, I got this message:

"Line 50, illegal arithmetic operation on data type"

This also happened when I tried to do a regular save ("s") but seemed to work when I manually selected "Save" by navigating through the menu's.

Chuck
10-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Sorry. I know it is hard on your end keeping track of these things. It is really a pain at times doing this chipping in, but I and others do from time to time wth no pay, no benifits and no perks of beta testing. I do it becase a) I care about newtek and the product and b) I want it fixed so it will work properly as promised and c) I want continued expansion of this product to new users who may or may not have a chance to be as loyal.

The actual number of things that simply do not work or are bugged on my system that actually work on other's is staggering. To the point I almost don't have the incentive to keep reporting.

But when I do report, sometimes I am wrong, other times I am right, other times I am right but seem to be the only one with the problem.

I am running on an AMD FX series chip. I have no idea what part of my system is causing these discrepencies. I wish I did know.

But when I do report I am sorry but I really do not want to read though the entire thread each time to see who has reported what.

That's just me.

For future reference, the vetting message is a moderation notice, and as such does not require a response nor is it subject to public comment from anyone. The notes on the corrections in edited posts and in the vetting messages are not intended for any purpose other than to help us figure out where things went wrong if we miss something. They are not intended to chide the folks whose reports were renumbered and should not be taken as such, and the procedural reminder portion is just a request.

But since you have commented, please consider that we've described procedures such that, with a little cooperation, no one should need to look further than a few posts at most to find the last number used, and in this instance it would have meant just looking at the previous post. If you prefer not to, that's your privilege. We'll still appreciate the report.

lardbros
10-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Bug #0015

Had a look and this hasn't been reported yet i don't think.
The BRDF shader cannot be saved as a surface preset and reloaded despite being able to now save it with an object. I haven't checked ALL shaders, but BRDF was the only one out of the few i tried not to appear on loading of a preset.

Always seems to be a problem with the BRDF shader with each release. Hopefully 9 will improve on this. :thumbsup:

ACLOBO
10-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Ok, maybe someone can tell me what is going on here? Layout seems ok with the redraws, but Modeler is puking here when displaying models that showed up fine in 8.3

My system. P4, 2.ghz, Windows XP Pro, Nvidia 6800 graphics card, 768 megs of ram.

-Adrian

JML
10-14-2005, 07:17 AM
Ok, maybe someone can tell me what is going on here? Layout seems ok with the redraws, but Modeler is puking here when displaying models that showed up fine in 8.3
-Adrian
CONFIRMED

I had the same problem 2 days ago on my computer at home with an old simple model.
in 8.5 , some faces looks like they are transparent ,even though they are not..
dual Xeon3.2, ati 9800xt 256

Gettarobox
10-14-2005, 07:59 AM
When I try to use supershift it says:
Cusom operation failed.
Cannot load external plugin file <C:\Program Files\LightWave[8]\Plugins\model\modelertools.p>.

I looked for the plugin and it is there.

The GLSL seems to only work with certain procedurals.
Ones I can't seem to use are: turbulent noise, any multi-fractal,puffy clouds,FBM noise,dented,cyclone,coriolis, veins, STclouds, fractal noise,crust,crumple.
All the others work very nicely.

ACLOBO
10-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Multishift has replaced supershift. Erase Super....

This is the first implementation of the hardware openGL support. As indicated in the DOCS, only some of the channels have openGL hardware support at this time.

-Adrian

Scott Gammans
10-14-2005, 10:13 AM

My system. P4, 2.ghz, Windows XP Pro, Nvidia 6800 graphics card, 768 megs of ram.

-Adrian

CONFIRMED

I had the same problem 2 days ago on my computer at home with an old simple model.
in 8.5 , some faces looks like they are transparent ,even though they are not..
dual Xeon3.2, ati 9800xt 256
This sounds like the bug I reported in #0006:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=306714&postcount=8

mkiii
10-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Messages 4 and 5 posted on the thread within 3 minutes of each other, and both used the same number, which threw off everything after that.

Chuck the reason for that is because message 5 is confirming bug #0003. It is not a bug. It should be #0003 because it is referring to bug #0003, not #0004 as it is now.

Therefore renumbering it has thrown the entire sequence out by one. :thumbsup:

stefanj
10-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Bug #017

gfx card: Wildcat Realizm 200

I can confirm that if you Q more than one polygon in Modeler with a transparent material, surrounding mesh will start flickering to transparent when you operate the viewport. This applies to both subpatched and non-sp'ed mesh.

(I also want to add that the new OpenGL 2.0 features in Layout bugs out totally on my Wildcat Realizm 200 card with the latest drivers - but I don't know enough about hardware and OpenGL code to determain if it's a hardware error or LW bug... When I switch on the new display features the surfaces go totally white noise TV static. If anyone knows about this please let me know how to fix it...)

-stefanJ.

stefanj
10-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Lscript: If you open a requester panel from a parent requester, and drag around on the screen on top of it's parent, you end up with flickering OK and CANCEL buttons on the parent requester. Test script is poster here:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=41310

(Again: this might just be on my gfx card, but then again, it still sucks...)

-stefanJ.

Bill Carey
10-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Bug # 19 Cut command no longer interactive.

LW 8.5, Win XP Pro, P4 3ghz, 2 gb ram, ATI 9600XT 128

As it says, it was confirmed in another thread and I thought I'd add it to the list here. Someone reported that it is still interactive on the Mac version or 8.5.

Bill

papou
10-15-2005, 06:24 AM
Bug # 000020 DoubleSide, Reflection (on The_Matrix_05.lws)

was soing somes 8.5 vs 8.3 render tests with differents Thread and wih Hyperthreading actived:
http://www.frenchwave.org/Forums/viewtopic/p=11716.html#11716

I got very similar render times, but the scene The_Matrix05.lws was 3 times slower on Lightwave 8.5.

It seems that Surface Double-side is very slow with Reflection now.

My system: DualXeon 3.4, 2GoDDR, Hyperthreading ON, LW8.3 & 8.5, XPproSP2
same bug on my old PII400 Win2000Pro

Scott Gammans
10-15-2005, 11:23 AM
It seems that Surface Double-side is very slow with Reflection now.
Yet another reason for me to stick with 8.3. I use double-sided polys to avoid the "slits in shadows" problem with raytraced lights...

Chuck
10-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks, MKIII! Not sure why it looked like a different report at the time...apologies for missing that! :confused:

illusory
10-16-2005, 04:00 PM
I have a whole series of files I have been working on for some time which cannot be used since 'upgrading' to 8.5.

The problem:
trying to save one of these files IN ANY MANNER after loading it, crashes Lightwave. EVEN IF I DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING. Repeatable? yes: OVER AND OVER AGAIN EVERY TIME.

The only thing which is different about these files (this doesn't happen on another series i am working on), is that they access an image which lightwave cannot find in it's default directory path.

The image is actually IN the path LW is trying to access, which is outside the default directory path, and it is ALSO in the project directory/Images default path.

This LW path stupidity has been around a long time, and usually when it comes up, and asks 'would you like to choose the file', and I do so, it works fine. It does now too. The problem arises when I try to SAVE the file, and only since the 8.5 upgrade. LW immediately crashes. EVERY TIME.

If anyone has an idea how i can rescue my work from this bug, please advise. Since I don't expect this bug to be acknowledged or fixed for some time.

thanks,
NJ

illusory
10-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Now I have tried loading the scene file, stripping the object of the questioned texture, saving the object without the texture, then tring to save the scene. Guess what happened?
CRASH

are there config files I can dig into to try to save my (months) of work? :cry:

NJ

toonafish
10-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Now I have tried loading the scene file, stripping the object of the questioned texture, saving the object without the texture, then tring to save the scene. Guess what happened?
CRASH

are there config files I can dig into to try to save my (months) of work? :cry:

NJ

This sounds very familiar. I had a problem like that after the 8.1 update. At first it seemed that saving certain scenes or an object from that scene crashed Layout, but after some experimenting I found out it was a 3rd party plugin that caused the crashes. So maybe there's a plugin or shader you're using that is broken in 8.5 ?

illusory
10-16-2005, 05:18 PM
Well, I use Kray and FPrime, both of which seem to work fine in 8.5, even in the scenes in question. Until I try to save the scenes in this series. Those plugins are also used in scenes in another project which will save w/o crashing.

I've just spend quite a bit of time with one of the scenes in Notepad....got rid of the extraneous path and stripped the scene and object of all image files. Still crashes on save. So the problem is obviously not the image path, that was just coincidental.

Now, I must remove 8.5 from my system. How do I do this? In my add/remove programs the update to 8.1 and 8.3 are listed, but 8.5 is not. Can I reinstall 8.3 on top of 8.5? Will it get rid of the blasted thing??!

thanks,
NJ

illusory
10-16-2005, 07:35 PM
please delete this message I am re-installing lW 8.3

Panikos
10-16-2005, 07:40 PM
RE Bug #0010

mkiii, the confusion I mentioned has to do with invalid rotation in motion, not incremental save problem
:compbeati

Lito
10-17-2005, 08:41 AM
#0006 OpenGL 2.0 freaks out in Modeler with GeForce 8900XT

Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, GeForce 8900XT with latest (78.01) drivers

Smooth shading and textured views in Modeler "freak out" when zooming in towards fairly large (~ 750,000 polys) objects in LW 8.5 with the latest drivers (v78.01) for the GeForce 8900XT. Surfaces suddenly go transparent at random (even polygons with the same surface definition), or they disappear entirely.

Yeah I am getting something similar to this on my computer but it is not limited to large poly objects (right now only 172 polys). It generally "freaks out" when I have a few background layers and forground layers selected and I am rotating the perspective view. It seems very quick to freak out when I have 5 background layers selected and 1 foreground layers and start rotating around the perspective view. The perspective view just freezes. I then have to select the shading type drop down menu and it begins to work again.

I am using Nvidia 81.84 beta drivers and a GeForce 6800GT card.

mkiii
10-17-2005, 11:42 AM
:bangwall:
mkiii, the confusion I mentioned has to do with invalid rotation in motion, not incremental save problem

I know... But I am a victim of the renumbering system. When I replied. Bug 10 was the one before yours, and yours was presumably number 11.

Obviously, now the numbers have been redone (again), they did not realise that this ref no was now incorrect.

Confused? You will be.

Chuck
10-17-2005, 12:46 PM
MKIII, I cross checked mentions in quotes and references by number as I renumbered. If I missed getting one right, please just let me know outright which message number needs to have a correction. In reviewing today I did find one reference to an earlier bug that was incorrectly numbered - but it wasn't the one that Panikos is quoting if your comment is correct - that one had been renumbered to 0009, to match the one before Panikos' report 0010. Maybe you made the correction? If so, thanks!

mkiii
10-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Yes. I already renumbered it myself to reflect the changes. :thumbsup:

This attempt at enforcing order upon the chaotic mental processes of us wavers is doomed I say.......

....... DOOOMED!

:stumped:

Dodgy
10-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Well, I use Kray and FPrime, both of which seem to work fine in 8.5, even in the scenes in question. Until I try to save the scenes in this series. Those plugins are also used in scenes in another project which will save w/o crashing.
NJ

Did you try backing up your configs and then deleting them? The try loading and saving (with only the relevant image loader plugin added obviously). That would be the first thing to try rather than ripping it all out. If it doesn't crash then, try adding one config back at a time till Lw crashes. This will help you diagnose what the problem is. If it's something like the plugin cfg, try deleting the ext8.cfg and then adding a plugin directory at a time again till lightwave crashes.

I had a similar problem with a plugin, it just wouldn't load. Turned out it was another plugin I had just added. Got rid of that and everything was hunky dory :)

illusory
10-17-2005, 09:11 PM
well...i'm pretty positive now that the problem is Kray. The files that won't save without crashing all have used Kray. Another project that doesn't use it will save ok.

Dodgy, do you use Kray with 8.5? Anyone else?

I've just finished deleting everything Lightwave from my computer, cleaning the registry and reinstalling up to 8.3. Maybe I'll have the guts to try 8.5 again if enough others manage to get it to play nice with Kray....

I'm guessing there's no way to have 2 separate installs of Lightwave on the same computer...?
Because the config files all go in C:\Documents and Settings

thanks Dodgy,
NJ

Dodgy
10-18-2005, 04:02 AM
You can have separate installs on the one pc. In your shortcuts to your lw and modeler use these commands in the Target field:

L:\Programs\lightwav.exe -cL:\Settings -pL:\Settings
and
L:\Programs\modeler.exe -cL:\Settings -pL:\Settings

The -c and -p flags tell LW where to store the configs and plugins for your install. You can designate different directories for each install using this method.

Dodgy
10-18-2005, 04:06 AM
Bug # 000021 Dynamics calculation not updating viewport

Sometime when using dynamics hitting the calc button will result int he calculation being performed and it updating the viewport for some frames, but then stopping refreshing the viewport, so it looks like LW has frozen. If you wait it'll eventually get to the end of the calculation and LW will respond again, and the calc will have actually completed and works. Anyone else seen this behaviour?

system:
win XP on Athlon XP 2600 1gig ram Nvidia 4600 ti.

Surrealist.
10-18-2005, 04:23 AM
Bug # 000021 Dynamics calculation not updating viewport

Sometime when using dynamics hitting the calc button will result int he calculation being performed and it updating the viewport for some frames, but then stopping refreshing the viewport, so it looks like LW has frozen. If you wait it'll eventually get to the end of the calculation and LW will respond again, and the calc will have actually completed and works. Anyone else seen this behaviour?

system:
win XP on Athlon XP 2600 1gig ram Nvidia 4600 ti.

Yeah, I have seen this.

toonafish
10-18-2005, 05:32 AM
#003 confirmed

LW 8.5 Win 2K Dual Xeon 3.8 Quadro FX 3400

Chuck
10-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Yes. I already renumbered it myself to reflect the changes. :thumbsup:

This attempt at enforcing order upon the chaotic mental processes of us wavers is doomed I say.......

....... DOOOMED!

:stumped:

Oh, you may be so very right! ;)

illusory
10-18-2005, 12:11 PM
You can have separate installs on the one pc. In your shortcuts to your lw and modeler use these commands in the Target field:

L:\Programs\lightwav.exe -cL:\Settings -pL:\Settings
and
L:\Programs\modeler.exe -cL:\Settings -pL:\Settings

The -c and -p flags tell LW where to store the configs and plugins for your install. You can designate different directories for each install using this method.

Big thanks for this, Dodgy! :thumbsup:
Now I can try out the render enhancements on 8.5.
Anyissues with Fprime?

stefanj
10-18-2005, 05:39 PM
As mentioned in #017 there are certain things that seem to be buggy, at least on my system. Transparent polys in Modeler bug out, viewport manipulation in Layout jumps, but most of all: hardware shading in Layout bugs out totally on my Realizm 200 card. I've contacted 3dlabs about this, but the OpenGL 2.0 demos they've recommended work fine, so most likely the issues are Newtek's.

In order for something to happen in this matter, I've attached a screencap showing the HW shading issues.

As I said to 3dlabs, there must be a dialogue between hardware and software vendors. Small bussineses like ours do not have tech teams trouble shooting OpenGL implementations.

-stefanJ.

Axis3d
10-18-2005, 06:19 PM
When using a reference null for texturing, move, scale, and rotate the null (on H, P, B) to place the texture on a surface. Then, set the Reference Object back to "none". When it askes if you "Want to keep the item's parameters", click Yes. The texture should stay put, but, instead, it jumps to another orientation. Sometimes this works, but most times it doesn't - weird.

ercaxus
10-18-2005, 09:47 PM
1- Create a null
2- Draw a chain of 2 - 3 child bones
3- Apply IKBooster
4- In IKB mode (Auto key On) move the bones so a keyframe will be created.
5- While a bone is still selected, go to graphedit, and hit shift+g (get layout selected) and look at the channel list

Dodgy
10-19-2005, 03:53 AM
Re: bug 23

This is backup data for IKB, so you can undo motions and edits I think. It would be helpful if this was hidden from the user though, so it doesn't clutter the graph editor/scene editor...

3dworks
10-19-2005, 03:55 PM
don't know if it's ok to call it a bug or if it's more a kind of feature request - so i will not put any number for now. the problem: the behaviour the light properties panel in the case of of 'mass editing' (with more than one light selected) is not coherent and leads to error.

if i have selected more than one light in the scene editor, all the basic settings changes influence all the selected lights, but the exclusion list in the objects tab does work for only one of the selected lights. it would be good to fix it, allowing to edit the list for all selected lights at once, or to deactivate this tab when in mass editing mode.

cheers

markus

Dodgy
10-19-2005, 05:49 PM
The dev team has been increasing the number of fields which can be 'multi-edited' with each release as far as I'm aware, so hopefully this will be complete by 9 :)

flyboy
10-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Hello out there ,someone in lightwave support I am new at LW and I installed LW 8.5 from 8.3 yesterday and when I try to use supershift in modeler I geet the following error message: custom operation failed cannot load external plug-in file<C:\program files\Lightwave[8]\plugins\model\modelertools\.p>. cannany one give me some advise. Maybe I dont need 8.5 since I am learning my way around can I just reinstall 8.3 till some of the bugs are worked out of 8.5 Thanks in advance for the info. flyboy

ercaxus
10-19-2005, 06:43 PM
it's not a bug. (it's annoying enough as some bugs though) go to utilities/edit plugins/scan directory, and from there find the plugins directory in your lightwave folder, that should fix your problem. good luck.

dOMINUS
10-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Confirmed #0006. Indeed strange behaviour with objects that contain transparent polys in "Smooth Shade" and "Texture" viewport modes.

ACLOBO
10-20-2005, 04:54 PM
I find that this may just be on my system, but.....

Seems to happen more in modeler...

1. work on something in modeler.
2. minimize or alt-tab out to work in another program like Photoshop or Unfold3d (whatever).
3. Go back into modeler and load up anything new (pic file, object, seems to be something with the new requester box opening up).
4. CRASH to desktop... (no curteousy warning, nothing, just crash)

:cursin:

-Adrian

ercaxus
10-20-2005, 11:47 PM
In layout when I rotate/resize/move an object/bone/light/camera movement is limited.
It is related to the mouse pointer's distance from the desktop edges. When it doesn't go anymore and I release the mouse button, pointer is at the edge of the screen (either one of two, direction didn't matter so far).

Also if I don't stop moving the mouse after the timeslider reaches either end, the pointer (secretly, silently) :D moves and appears at the end of the desktop.

Edit: This is aparently what happens when you have tablet as input device and insist on using the mouse. It's not a bug. It's me being dumb. :bangwall:

dOMINUS
10-22-2005, 06:59 AM
Bug #0025

I'm not sure if this has been reported yet, I've searched for it but have not found it on the forum, so here it is:

Selecting multiple properties with 'Ctrl + LMB-click' in the Scene Editor does not work, and no 'Adjust Properties' panel appears.
So editing properties must be done one by one.

Works just fine in 8.0.1.

Or am I missing something?

Armadillo
10-22-2005, 07:34 AM
it's not a bug. (it's annoying enough as some bugs though) go to utilities/edit plugins/scan directory, and from there find the plugins directory in your lightwave folder, that should fix your problem. good luck.

Oh yes it is. modelertools.p installed with 8.5 update does not have Super Shift available. It seems that NewTek failed to include it while adding Multishift feature.

I tested using modelertools.p installed with 8.3 instaed seemed to work well. I also installed both and it seemed to me that Modeler can pick up only the missing feature from the older modelertools.p file (has to be renamed of course). Using them both is probably asking for trouble and I think I can manage without Multishift until another update - or version 9.

Jukka

PS flyboy, if you need v8.3 modelertools.p just let me know

evenflcw
10-22-2005, 07:57 AM

Can't confirm.

dOMINUS, How are you trying to select the cells? Since 8.2 or so, you can only select multiple cells by clicking in the Selection Zone, the thin column to the left of each value. Ctrl+LMB clicking this region lets you drag to select (like shift+LMB) and click to select multiple values. The Adjust Properties panel should appear instantly when you let go of the LMB. It all seems to work fine in my LW8.5.

Whatever one might think of the selection zone (good or bad), it is not a bug :)

Armadillo
10-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Now I get it - me thinks

Super Shift is REPLACED by Multishift. The problem is that toolbars are not updated and one has to manually get rid of Supershift and add Multishift.

If it is like this it is not exactly well described in documentation.

Dodgy
10-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Yeah, it's a little bit of a muck up, but I'd rather have out of date menus rather than NT fiddling with my specially constructed menus :)

dOMINUS
10-23-2005, 02:34 AM
Posted by me: Bug #0025 : Selecting multiple properties with 'Ctrl + LMB-click' in the Scene Editor does not work, and no 'Adjust Properties' panel appears.

Replied by evenflcw : dOMINUS, How are you trying to select the cells? Since 8.2 or so, you can only select multiple cells by clicking in the Selection Zone, the thin column to the left of each value. Ctrl+LMB clicking this region lets you drag to select (like shift+LMB) and click to select multiple values. The Adjust Properties panel should appear instantly when you let go of the LMB. It all seems to work fine in my LW8.5.

Thanks for pointing that out evenflcw: you are right !
I missed that.
So it's not a bug.

But I did notice something else trying to select properties in the Scene Editor: when selecting one or multiple properties, the 'Adjust Properties' panel stays 'behind' the 'Scene Editor' panel, when in 8.0.1 it appeared 'on top' of the 'Scene Editor' panel.
So I can not resize the 'Scene Editor' panel to the whole screen, because then I can not select the 'Adjust properties' panel.

So I guess this is bug #0025 ?

Edit: I must add: the first time you select 1 property, the Adjust Props panel appears and 'stays', but then when you deselect, the panel goes behind the Scene Editor panel. And when selecting multiple props, with the first selection, the Adjust props panel appears, but when selecting the second, also the Adjust Props panel dissappears behind the Scene Editor.

Wickster
10-23-2005, 03:06 AM
LW 8.5 Win XP/SP2 Dual Xeon 2.4 512MB NVidia 6800 256MB

1. Bone X-Ray doesn't work when "OpenGL Textures" is turned on at the display options (d).

Not sure if this is bugs but:

2. Panning on any Layout window drops current tool. (Draw bone, Draw ChildBone, etc.)

papou
10-23-2005, 05:38 AM
BUG #00027

Normal displacement is bugged when your texture opacity value is spinned.

1. add a normal displacement to your mesh
2. add a texture, create a layer opacity enveloppe and spin the value (100% in frame 0 and 0% in frame 1, Reapeat the pre and post behavior).
3. scrub the timeline.

Frames 7,14,27,etc are corrupted in 25fps and frames 31,33,etc are corrupted in 30fps. The Displacement values are reseted at that frames.

dOMINUS
10-23-2005, 08:15 AM
Bug #0028

Hi, maybe it's me, but I guess the Bridge Tool in 8.5 works differently (buggy?) in 8.5 then I was used to in 8.0.1.
See the images: in 8.5 the bridge is 'crossed' whereas in 8.0.1 the two polys have been bridged correctly.

EDIT: in 8.5, when moving 2 points of the top poly towards the two points on the bottom poly, then the bridge tool connected without 'crossing' the bridged polys.

evenflcw
10-23-2005, 08:15 AM
2. Panning on any Layout window drops current tool. (Draw bone, Draw ChildBone, etc.)I'm making this bug 0029! However I've modified it to only concern Draw Bone and Draw ChildBone, as I didn't have any problems with other tools.

STEPS:
1. Switch to top view.
2. Create null with default values.
3. Activate Draw Bone.
4. Draw two bones consecutively to make sure the function has been activated AND is persistent (stays active as long as no other tool is activated).
5. Now before drawing a third bone, pan the viewport.
6. Try to draw third bone.
-> You can't. The draw bone tool has been dropped.

It might have been like this always but it's really so bad workflow-wise that I think it should be considered a bug. Obviously if one is drawing bones and is running out of screenspace one must be able to pane and zoom for more. Draw Bone and Draw ChildBone are interactive like any other LAyout Tool and should work analogous (=not be interupted by panning and zooming the viewport).

Also, both of these "tools" have serious feedback issues. It is impossible to tell whether they are active by simply looking at the interface. The only way to tell that they are on is by trying to create a new bone. It would be good if the Numeric Input area displayed the name of the tool and maybe the rest length of the bone being drawn.

I would venture a guess that these two really aren't true Layout Tool type functions (like Move, Rotate etc). So a solution would be to simply recreate these two as true Layout Tools, which would fix both issues raised in this post.

Personally I don't ever use these two. They are much to imprecise for my likning. So if any one has a better suggestion as to how they could be reworked feel free to trash my ideas. :)

evenflcw
10-23-2005, 08:40 AM
But I did notice something else trying to select properties in the Scene Editor: when selecting one or multiple properties, the 'Adjust Properties' panel stays 'behind' the 'Scene Editor' panel, when in 8.0.1 it appeared 'on top' of the 'Scene Editor' panel.
So I can not resize the 'Scene Editor' panel to the whole screen, because then I can not select the 'Adjust properties' panel.

So I guess this is bug #0025 ?
OK, #0025 it is!

Better to have something than nothing I guess. NT can decide whether they think it's a bug or feature req or something else(?).

The use of a separate window to adjust properties is really too inflexible. If one where to fix this bug by simple means - by always pinning the Adjust Properties panel on top. This would solve the issues raised, but cause new ones. As the panel is now always on top it might cover areas of the Scene Editor we want to see. As is the case when the SE is already placed to high on the screen so that the Adjust Properties panel opens on top of it covering the upper portions of the SE window or when the SE window is resized and moved after the fact.

The best solution would obviously be to integrate the Adjust Properties panel into the SE window. This would rid us of ANY inconvenience a separate window is BOUND to cause.

dOMINUS
10-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Posted by evenflcw : I'm making this bug 0029 :
1. Switch to top view. 2. Create null with default values. 3. Activate Draw Bone. 4. Draw two bones consecutively to make sure the function has been activated AND is persistent (stays active as long as no other tool is activated). 5. Now before drawing a third bone, pan the viewport. 6. Try to draw third bone. -> You can't. The draw bone tool has been dropped.

Tried that and indeed the 'Draw Bone' tool has been dropped, but I do not know if this is a bug, since it also happens in LW 8.0.1 which I'm used to.

evenflcw
10-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Tried that and indeed the 'Draw Bone' tool has been dropped, but I do not know if this is a bug, since it also happens in LW 8.0.1 which I'm used to.
If it doesn't crash, then I think whether something is a bug or not is highly relative. If we compare Draw Bone/Child Bone to other interactive tools, then I'd say it's a bug, because they don't work like other tools do. However if I consider them a category of their own, then obviously any anomaly can be explained away saying that this is how this category of tools is suppose to work. I'd also consider that a bad excuse. :)

If it's fair to consider them to be tools like all others, then this is imho a bug. But one should perhaps have emphasized that this "bug" has always been there.

Librarian
10-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Bug # 19 Cut command no longer interactive.

LW 8.5, Win XP Pro, P4 3ghz, 2 gb ram, ATI 9600XT 128

As it says, it was confirmed in another thread and I thought I'd add it to the list here. Someone reported that it is still interactive on the Mac version or 8.5.

Bill

Confirmed. No interactive cut anymore. Worked fine before 8.5.

LW 8.5, P4 3,2Ghz, Win 2K, FX5950 Ultra

erikals
10-25-2005, 03:17 PM
bug #0030 - Multishift crash

Multishift seems to crash sometimes, not sure why yet.
maybe its when moving the cursor quickly and let too fast.
(somtimes it takes minutes before it finally crashes, and sometimes HDD makes noise/writes, but not sure if that has anything to do with it).
And sometimes the tool is slow.

Layer 6 and MultiShift sometimes crashes.
http://erikalstad.com/cgtemp/ModelEdge-Sphere-01crashme-6.lwo

Win2K 3Ghz P4, 1Gig ram, SP4, ATI radeon 9250 PCI
Edit: some possible answeres here>http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=42871&goto=newpost

Fasty
10-26-2005, 10:18 PM
When Auto Key Create is set to "All Motion Channels", it no longer creates a keyframe for all motion channels, creating keys only on modified channels.

Worked fine until 8.5.

WinXP Pro SP2, 2.8GHz P4, 2GB RAM, GeForce4 Ti 4600

evenflcw
10-26-2005, 10:24 PM
#0032 - Persistent vmaps; Vmaps remain despite no point assignment.
LW 8.5, Win2000, AMD64 3200+, 512MB

DESCRIPTION:
It used to be that vmaps always got removed automatically if they turned up with no points assigned to them. Which makes sense, since without any points assinged, it can't really be used for anything. It seems this behavior has changed! Vmaps of any type will now typically remain despite the fact that no points are assigned to them. Names of unused vmaps show up in the Vertex Map browser and dropdown menus. You may even create a vmap without any geometry present and it will remain for a long as your Modeler session does or until you closa all objects.

STEPS A:
1. Make a point using the Point Tool.
2. Using the dropdown menu in the lower right corner, create a new weight map. Leave all settings at default. Hit OK. A new weightmap is created and the point is assigned to it.
3. Now Delete or Cut the point.

Note that the weightmap entry remains in the dropdown menu aswell as in the Vertex Map browser.

STEPS B:
1. Make a point using the Point Tool.
2. Using the dropdown menu in the lower right corner, create a new weight map. This time untick Initial Value so an empty weight map is created after you hit OK.
3. Now in the same dropdown menu choose (none).

It used to be that the weightmap would automatically disappear when you did this. Not so any more. If you check the dropdown menu again or check the Vertex Map browser you will see taht teh weightmap still remains.

I have no immediate problem that it works like this now. It's analogous to how it works for surfaces, and I don't mind that*. But I think it should work this or the other way for ALL assignments (surfaces, parts, vmaps). As it stands now, part names are the only ones that don't seem to remain persistant. Hopefully this is part of a pending change that will eventually lead to more power. Whatever the case, it should've been documented (preferably with an explanation why it was changed so everybody can recognize the benefit).

*However we are lacking a Delete surface command inside the Surface Editor that would complement Load, Save and Rename commands already there. Or something to that affect.

evenflcw
10-26-2005, 10:41 PM
Confirm #0031 Auto Key Create "All Motion Channels" Bug
LW 8.5, Win2000, AMD64 3200+, 512MB

I can confirm this!

It used to be that all channels within the same group (Position, Rotation, Scale respectively) received a keyframe if a channel within the same group was modified (using handles). In 8.5, only the actual modified channel(s) recieves a key.

For example:
Modify Pitch and only Pitch recieves a key. It used to be Heading, Pitch and Bank all recieved a key.

What they really should do is add another option to Auto Key Create. Imho it should read: 'Off', 'Modified Channel', 'Modified Channel Group', 'All Motion Channels'.

EDIT:
Ugh! Just realized I misread the original bug report. But no harm done! What was reported in both the original bug report and what I wrote above still holds true and are related bugs. All the Auto Key Create options (except Off) have simply been offset.

'All Motion Channels' previously keyed all transformation channels, that is all positional, rotational and scale channels. Now it only keys all channels within the same group.

'Modified Channels' previously keyed all channels in the same group. Now it only keys the actual channel(s) being modified.

Panikos
10-27-2005, 04:58 AM
Bug #0033

When loading a LWS stored from messiah (which stores in LW6.* format)
there is a requester saying that there is a mismatch of FPS.
The Selection OK (Convert), Loads all the objects,
The Selection CANCEL (Load as is and change Layout FPS) misses several objects.

I dont know why this happens, just in case there is a deeper bug in the "Cancel" Selection.

I dont know whether the LWS structured changed from LW6.*
Generally, LW would load scenes and geometry from previous LW versions without problems. The Loading Mechanism should be more inteligent, since the related plugins are present and functional.

Panikos
10-27-2005, 05:03 AM
Bug #0034

In the scenes folder, I have subfolders containing scene files of the same project.
When I load a scene, change it and then use "Save us", the LW requester goes to the scenes root folder and not in the folder where the loading took place.

Normally, "Save us" stores the modified scene with a different name and in the same location where loaded.

:cursin:

stefanj
10-27-2005, 05:38 AM
DESCRIPTION:
When audio is loaded in Layout, you can not hear little blips of sound when you step one and one frame. You do, however, hear the sound file when you drag the timeline slider around. So it's just individual steps that are silent.

I guess more people have to test this before I can say 100% that it's Newtek's fault, not my computer's (I've only tried it on two different computers so far).

Or it might be intentional, I don't know. If it is, I'd suggest giving us a chance to choose. I need this frame by frame feedback for syncing purposes, although it was so-so in regards to accuracy, it still worked (when it was there).

A quick note on Bug #0034: I don't have the "Save Us" feature, but I think it would be a great addition to the tool set! :)

Scott Gammans
10-27-2005, 07:00 AM
Bug #0036 -- surface shading diffuse terminator error

Here is a closeup which shows the problem:

http://www.scottgammans.net/ussenterprise/ussenterprise_051025b.jpg
http://www.scottgammans.net/ussenterprise/ussenterprise_051025a.jpg

Here is a simple version of the model and scene file (http://www.scottgammans.net/ussenterprise/polyshadows.zip) that illustrate the problem. I've stripped out everything--textures, extra lights, everything extraneous--and the problem can still be reproduced with even this simple version of the model.

Wes Chilton (aka "Nova Class"), a well-known LightWave guru, posted the following explanation for the phenomenon over at lwg3d.org:

This is a long standing bug in LW's surface shading code. It has to do with LW calculating the diffuse terminator at 0-degrees vs a variable solution like other renderers have. That means when you have raytraced shadows or even reflections (it happens with those sometimes too) that curve around a surface errors creep in when the diffuse terminator approaches 0-degrees to the camera.

toonafish
10-27-2005, 02:47 PM
When Auto Key Create is set to "All Motion Channels", it no longer creates a keyframe for all motion channels, creating keys only on modified channels.

Worked fine until 8.5.

WinXP Pro SP2, 2.8GHz P4, 2GB RAM, GeForce4 Ti 4600

Hahaha, I consider this a new feature.

Maybe a button to dis- or enable this would be in order.

JML
11-01-2005, 09:34 AM

Confirmed again,

--P4 3.2ghz, 2GB ram--

I opened a project at work made with 8.3,

scene :
Number of polys 2 808 820 polys
object memory : 375.2 Mb
Images in scene : 64 Mb
40 spot lights with shadow map size 1024 each (skydome)
(total shadowmap memory : 40x1024x1024x4 = 160Mb)
Free memory : 661Mb + 3331 Mb page file
(in the task manager, LW is only using 990Mb)

I tried to render a 720x486 with LW8.5 , it told me 'not enough memory for shadow depth buffer'
it was rendering fine in 8.2..

zareh
11-03-2005, 04:11 AM
If in Modeler you go into
Utilitiles-Additional-Save Layers As Object
an LScript debug window comes up.
Didn't use to happen.

Tim Parsons
11-03-2005, 12:28 PM
OK guys and gals this one has been really bothersome. Images are getting rearranged (or something) in the image editor and don’t correspond to what is being selected. It’s somewhat confusing so I’ve included a screen capture with some notes. This is not an isolated or specific PC problem, as it is occurring with our other users as well. The only thing we have in common is that we all recently upgraded to LW8.5 and we are all connected to the same network for data storage.

When I replace the “offending image” with a new image, the new image name comes in and replaces the name on the left in the image editor, but does not update the small preview. Furthermore, when the name or the image is double-clicked it still brings up the “offending image” in the viewer even though I just replaced it. Also it only seems to happen with the top two images.

Anyone with any suggestions?

Tim

LMUSIC
11-04-2005, 08:48 PM
In LW 64 (Build 699)

Steps:
1. Create a cube
2. Subdivide it
3. Select faces on one side of cube
4. Select "Reduce Polys"
5. Observe fatal error message

This is NOT "Reduce Polys +"
This bug is limited to LW 8.5 (64bit) only, LW 8.5 (32bit) works correctly.

[edit] Wouldn't it make troubleshooting (configuration management thereof) easier if LW modules reported version numbers to Windows.

LMUSIC
11-04-2005, 09:12 PM
In LW 64 (Build 699) Reduce Poly on faces already minimized scrambles vertices.

Steps:
1. Create cube
2. Select Reduce Polys
3. Observe scrambled cube

Functions properly in LW 8.5 (32bit).

Figure 1 is result in LW 32bit.
Figure 2 is result in LW 64bit.

Panikos
11-05-2005, 01:03 AM
Bug #0041

The Stack of ImageFilter Plugins doesnt work.
If you have already 3-4 filters and you add another one, naturally it goes at the bottom. If you drag to place it to the desired location the sequence of filter is messed. Dragging doesnt work :thumbsdow

evenflcw
11-05-2005, 08:41 AM
Panikos, I'm unable to repeat this.

I add 5 different filters, then drag each around. It works as expected. They stay in the order I intended. I get no mess.

Or did you mean they are evaluated in a different order when rendered? It'd be good if you could provide some steps or something.

Panikos
11-05-2005, 09:26 AM
About Bug #0041

The execution is normal, as I see them in the List.
But when I drag them around, they dont behave normally.
PixelFilters plugins or other stack of plugins work perfectly, I dont have a global problem for this.

I am running LW8.5 on 3GHz HT
The same problem is in LW8.3 too

I am using FP_Gamma, LWVDR, HDR_Expose, even though I dont believe that is the type of plugins that cause the problem

Arquero
11-05-2005, 11:55 AM

LW 8.5, WinXP Pro SP2, Dual-Opteron 244, 4 GB RAM, Dual 6800GT SLI (81.86 drivers)

Modeler won't even start correctly for me. A few things have changed though since upgrading to LW8.5. I had 8.3 on WinXP Pro x64 with 1 6800GT with 71.77 drivers. Everything worked fine. Then I needed to go back to 32-bit and decided to upgrade to 8.5. Now Modeler sits there using all of 1 of my Opterons at 100% (50% total) and for a while, I assume during a drawing of the grid, it uses all of my second CPU as well. I can't move the mouse well as the mouse updates once every few seconds. After a while, modeler goes back to just eating 1 CPU entirely allowing me to post this message.

Sorry for having so many things change at once, but I assume it may be my graphic drivers. I assume it may be an OpenGL problem with the new drivers. I may go back to 8.3 to see if that works. Otherwise I may try going back to earlier nVidia graphic drivers. I just want to get a heads up and see if anyone else has the same drivers and is able to use LW8.5.

Arquero

Arquero
11-05-2005, 12:45 PM
#042 update

Going back to pre-8.5 (8.0) didn't do anything. So I uninstalled 81.86 drivers and installed 77.77 drivers. Now Modeler starts up like normal. I am assuming there is a problem with the way Lightwave requests OpenGL drawing that the 81.86 drivers don't like. I don't know if this is considered a bug on Newtek's part or nVidia's part. I assume nVidia for previous versions of their drivers don't have this issue.

Arquero

Panikos
11-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Bug #0041 Update

In a blank scene, adding/dragging Image Filters works perfectly.
The problem appears when you load a scene and there already there some ImageFilters and you add an extra one and you drag to place it in the order you want :stumped:

I tried again, it works in both blank scene as well as a loaded one.
Very weird :(
Anyway, if someone encounters anything similar, please quote

Thank you and I apologize in advance in case of my mistake
:newhere: :D

I edit the message again after meeting the problem again.
Seems that the initial clicking of the mouse plays a role, whether I click on the first plugin in the stack and then add the new plugin, or not click anywhere and simply add a plugin. Very hard to describe it, but I am positive, and I am not dizzy or drank :(

Dodgy
11-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Bug #43
Emitter and Distance to object gradient.

Add a partigon emitter. Set it's gravity to -9 so the particles are moving away from it. Now add a colour gradient to it's surface using Distance to object, setting the emitter as the object. The particles should colour depending on their distance from the emitter.

Now move the emitter from the 0,0,0 position, and the particles will all be the same colour.

It seems that Distance to object is using world 0,0,0 as it's point reference for particles, not the emitter as it should.

This doesn't happen with polygon objects (not even ones just made up of point particles), just emitter particles. If you parent a null to the emitter, and use that as the reference object, that works too, it's just emitters.

I've included a test scene.

B_Free
11-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Your second bug sounds similar to my problem. I'm running OS 10.4.3 on a dual 2.7gig Mac.
I'm trying to create a black gradient on my model, and I'm controlling its placement using "X distance to object"
Picture 1
In the Layout window in the picture above, "Gradient Object" is the plane. It is parented to the main object (called "MFObject"), and positioned next to the side of the MFOject I want the black gradient to be on (Basically I want that side of MFOject to be black and the rest a different color. However when I render it, the black gradient layer appears as a line drawn along a plane which passes through both the Gradient Object's center and camera. As opposed to being drawn along a plane which is parallel to the Gradient Object plane.

I apologize in advance if the reason for this turns out to be my own naiveitivity and not a bug.

Thank you everybody!!!

lots
11-06-2005, 06:05 PM
bug #0030 - Multishift crash

Multishift seems to crash sometimes, not sure why yet.
maybe its when moving the cursor quickly and let too fast.
(somtimes it takes minutes before it finally crashes, and sometimes HDD makes noise/writes, but not sure if that has anything to do with it).
And sometimes the tool is slow.
I have expereinced this as well. But I don't really end up in a crash. But most of the time Multishift will become very slow.

Also, another issue I have come across, sort of relating to this problem (Bug #44?), Multishift crashes every time, while I have multiple layers in the forground. Here are the steps I have done to reproduce the error:

1) Load an object at around 5000 polys (this is what I've been testing with)
2) Put all of the layers into the foreground (preferably something with more than 5 layers)
3) Select a few polygons (in the same layer) to be Multishifted.
4) Start a multishift session, and pull up the numeric panel
5) Adjust the inset ammount and modeller crashes

Dual Opteron 246
Motherboard: Tyan K8WE
2GB of RAM
Geforce 6800GT (PCIe)
EDIT: OS: Windows XP Pro X64

pixelperfect
11-06-2005, 08:38 PM
# 0016 Transparency Bug Confirmed.

LW 8.5, Win XP, gf 6600 gt, 1GB.

Only happens when one of the surfaces in the object is given a transparency value greater then 0%.

Happens in Wireframe Shade, Flat Shade, Smooth Shade and Textured Wire modes. Model looks fine when you change disply modes but then the transparent polys appear when you move/rotate the view. This must be an OGL redraw issue.

Strangly when i switch to Texture display mode the transparent polys appear straight away but then return to normal if i move/rotate view. :S

kangonto
11-07-2005, 04:23 AM
BUG#45

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz. LW 8.5, Win XP SP1, gf 6600 gt, 1GB.

Strange render error related with double sided transparent surfaces (Look attached images).

The fence are builded with two close planes (separated 2 mm) facing outwards and then double sided (surface). When switched to single sided the problem dissapears but fence get too thinner.
The surface has a transparency map applied (not clip map)

There is no problem with FPrime.

Not tested in 8.x versions lower than 8.5.

jbaudrand
11-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Win32 version
:angel: In modeler, click on "Save layers as object..", it open a debug mode window...

edit: sorry

mverdier
11-08-2005, 05:25 AM
Bug #47

I recently installed 8.5 win 32 version on my home system. Since then the dynamic objects key is greyed out.

Anyone heard of this or have advice of things that may help?

thanks

Matthew Verdier

zareh
11-08-2005, 06:37 AM
Win32 version
:angel: In modeler, click on "Save layers as object..", it open a debug mode window...

this was already reported as bug #37.
take care,
Zareh

evenflcw
11-08-2005, 06:41 AM
Bug #47
the dynamic objects key is greyed out.If you mean the dropdown menu button in the menus, then this is not a bug. You simply need to rescan your plugins folder and update the menus (select one of the default or load your own setup). There are plenty of threads about this "issue". Always rescan and update menus (in that order) when installing a new LW version!

toonafish
11-08-2005, 07:04 AM
Bug # 48

FX Linker Size effect doesn't work in LW 8.5 or 8.3. Donno when this happened but now I need it and it doesn't do anything else then scale an object that is linked to a particle that doesn't change with the particle size.

Then I hought, well let's use a textured channel gradient then..ha ha ha..you wish, that one's broken too..sigh...

Would this be bug #49 or is that one reported already ?

baaaad :thumbsdow

can anyone confirm this ?

evenflcw
11-08-2005, 07:35 AM
Bug # 48
it doesn't do anything else then scale an object that is linked to a particle that doesn't change with the particle size.

To my understanding FX_Linker isn't suppose to do "anything else than scale an object" to match the particle scale. I'm not sure, but from the second part of the quoted statement above it seems to me you have a missconception of what ParticleFX settings really control. FX particles typically can't change size (or any other parameter for that matter) over time. They stay the size they had when they where emitted (that's what setting controls - size at time of emission). So if your objects scale match the particle scale when emitted things work as they are suppose to.

I just tried a simple setup in LW8.5 and things works as expected and how I remember they always have worked.

toonafish
11-08-2005, 08:12 AM
To my understanding FX_Linker isn't suppose to do "anything else than scale an object" to match the particle scale. I'm not sure, but from the second part of the quoted statement above it seems to me you have a missconception of what ParticleFX settings really control. FX particles typically can't change size (or any other parameter for that matter) over time. They stay the size they had when they where emitted (that's what setting controls - size at time of emission). So if your objects scale match the particle scale when emitted things work as they are suppose to.

I just tried a simple setup in LW8.5 and things works as expected and how I remember they always have worked.

Are you sure ? I tried a search in the 8.0 and 8.3 addendum but couldn't find anything about it.

I don't use particles very often, but this is someting I'd expect from a feature like that. But then....maybe I expect too much.

evenflcw
11-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Am I sure of what part? That particle attributes (weight/size/resistance/etc) are only set the once (at emission) never to be changed again? Pretty sure. The only native way I know to change particle attributes over time is through collision objects and events. But this is only half true, because if I remember corrently this acctually spawns a new particle to replace the old, rather than change the properties of the original one.

By your statement "that doesn't change with the particle size" you seemed to have changed particle size somehow though. My question is where did you do this?

bradenbickle
11-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Anytime I try and use cloth dynamics now I get scan errors and calculation times so bad I have to reboot my machine.

this is also the case for calculating collision objects.

The same file worked fantastic prior to the upgrade from 8.3 to 8.5 on PC Intel, Windows XP, 3.7 gig processor, 2 gig ram

Endorphin
11-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Bug # 49

Follower doesn't work in LW64 on WinXP64. it can be applied to an object
but it doesn't work.

papou
11-11-2005, 08:56 AM
hi newtek!
for sure, you are listing all this weird bug before work on it.
Can you put this list in the sticky front post so we can get a better view of knowed bugs and we can easily see what is missing, or if our bug is previously posted.
Have to reread all posts and correct the bugs number when a bug is allready post is a pain.
Hope to see a fix for lw8.5 soon.

cheers,
tais

Chuck
11-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Papou, I wish I could find the time to do that, but in the run-up to v9 things are just getting way too busy. I've been reading the thread but not double-checking the numbering now for a while, but I'll try to get time to do at least the number vetting. On the other hand, it has occurred to me that when v9 comes out, maybe rather than having folks try to number the bugs, just refer to them by the post number where they are first reported. Might save us all a lot of headaches... ;)

creacon
11-12-2005, 12:23 PM
# 050

Every Lightwave version since bones were implemented and LW 8.5, OS: Win XP PRO SP2, Dual Xeon 3.6G, 2GB

BUMP BUG

Steps to reproduce:

1. Load a cube in layout
2. Clone it
3. Place the 2 cubes next to one another
4. Rotate the left cube 360° (Heading) over 60 frames
5. Put one bone in the second cube (pointing straight up)
6. Rotate this bone also 360° (heading) over 60 frames.
7. You should end up with 2 identical cubes rotating in the same manner over 60 frames.

8. Now add a bump to the surface of the cubes (bump array procedural eg)

render frame 0: no problem
render frame 60: no problem
render frame 30: (cubes rotated 180°) and notice that the bumps on the right cube (the one with the bone) are wrong, add some specular to see more clearly.

I can send a scene to demonstrate this but I already sent it to customer support and there has been no reply.

Luc.

Dodgy
11-12-2005, 06:39 PM
BUG #50 CONFIRM!

Must be some sort of weird normal miscalculation!

How bizarre!

creacon
11-13-2005, 01:25 PM
BUG 050:

Now try this:

1. Make a tube
2. Add a procedural bump to the surface
3. Add some bones to the tube and bend it and look at the bumps

If you ever wondered why bumps look a little weird when you use bones in Lightwave, it's because the normal is calculated the wrong way, it's as if LW calculates the normal before doing the displacement.
So please Newtek fix this!

Wireframex
11-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Just open the TeasetSample Scene and render ...

I have this problem on dual Xeon EMT64 with LW32 on XP32 et LW64 with XP64 and mac G5 OS10 :

http://img289.imageshack.us/img289/9552/teasetsample8eg.png

I have noticed that all the renders have differents "noises" at the top of the picture

Phil

GregMalick
11-15-2005, 10:56 PM
HyperVoxel Stretch Problem.

1. Add a Null and then activate a volume Hypervoxel to it
2. Stretch the HV 200% in the Y direction
3. Turn on Show Particles
4. at 0 Keyframe y=0m at 60 Keyframe y=1m
5. Hit play

Notice the HV stretches in the wrong direction at 0 and it stutters from changing directions as it rises. When it reaches frame 60 it will be correct in the Y direction.

This is not just an OGL problem - a Viper or LW render will have the same problem.

JML
11-16-2005, 06:38 AM
Just open the TeasetSample Scene and render ...

I have this problem on dual Xeon EMT64 with LW32 on XP32 et LW64 with XP64 and mac G5 OS10 :

I have noticed that all the renders have differents "noises" at the top of the picture

Phil

Bug Confirmed

Dodgy
11-16-2005, 07:11 AM
Bug #52

Bump as displacement.
Create a subpatch sphere and add a procedural in it's bump channel.
Turn on Object Properties>Deform>Enable Bump and set the distance to something sensible.
Up the Subdivisions to about 10 or something so you see the displacement.
Bug A: There's a crease running down the -z side of the sphere:

Now add an image to the bump channel of the sphere.
Bug B: Sphere becomes smooth or not representative of the image on it. Bump displacement does not read Images correctly.

This is a real shame as this is pretty much a fast built in Normal Displacement which is based on surfaces! Which would be really cool!

GregMalick
11-16-2005, 08:12 AM
Bug #52 confirmed. BOTH

Aquaman
11-16-2005, 08:47 AM
Wireframex, I'm not sure if it is a bug or just how Digital Confusion works. It's a problem using Digital Confusion with adaptive sampling enabled. If you turn off adaptive sampling and just use normal antialiasing you won't get those artifacts with depth of field in the render. This has been an issue since the version 7 days.

BazC
11-16-2005, 09:54 AM
Layout isn't loading default.lws placed at the root of the content directory. I've also tried a variety of variations on the official instructions without success. (also reported in the Mac bugs thread)

Mac 10.3.9 1.25 GHz G4

Wireframex
11-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Wireframex, I'm not sure if it is a bug or just how Digital Confusion works. It's a problem using Digital Confusion with adaptive sampling enabled. If you turn off adaptive sampling and just use normal antialiasing you won't get those artifacts with depth of field in the render. This has been an issue since the version 7 days.

I also found it : --> without adaptive sampling it works but If you can't use all the functionality together it's simply unusual...

Phil

JML
11-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Bug #38 Image editor confusion

OK guys and gals this one has been really bothersome. Images are getting rearranged (or something) in the image editor and don’t correspond to what is being selected. It’s somewhat confusing so I’ve included a screen capture with some notes. This is not an isolated or specific PC problem, as it is occurring with our other users as well. The only thing we have in common is that we all recently upgraded to LW8.5 and we are all connected to the same network for data storage.

When I replace the “offending image” with a new image, the new image name comes in and replaces the name on the left in the image editor, but does not update the small preview. Furthermore, when the name or the image is double-clicked it still brings up the “offending image” in the viewer even though I just replaced it. Also it only seems to happen with the top two images.

Anyone with any suggestions?

Tim

CONFIRMED

I had a similar problem today, I had tilebump.jpg on a ceiling, and instead of
rendering that image map, it was putting sky.jpg for no reason..
after clearing the scene, and reloading the scene, everything was fine..
that could be scary if it happens with lots of image maps...

Panikos
11-16-2005, 08:00 PM
Bug #0054

I have both LW8.3 and LW8.5 on the same machine working on both occasionally.
I encountered some problems in LW8.3, (sorry didnt have the time to check em on LW8.5 but I will)

So, with reserve, I will update this report as soon as I have a more solid conclusion.

Specificaly, the scene editor (old one) was messed, I loaded a new object and showed up as a duplicate of an old object. Selecting the object from the LW-GUI-Bar-List was defective.
I had the scene saved, reloaded it, same problems.
I quit LW and then everything was functional again.

Also, I had an object loaded, I tried to move it around, I was seeing the numeric values of the new position, but the geometry didnt follow.

I wish such problems need to be handled, make LW so fragile and unreliable.

As I wrote, I will try to duplicate them in LW8.5 and continue the report.
In case someone faced these problems before, or knows that were fixed in LW8.5, please send me a private message.

Thank you

3dworks
11-17-2005, 03:15 AM
PLD antialiasing levels not selectable, LScript.

this is an already reported and persisting bug since PLD antialiasing was introduced: the 'new' PLD antialiasing levels are not selectable with the 'Antialiasing' command. only the classic levels are shown.

markus

RedBull
11-17-2005, 02:57 PM
I don't think the PLD passes have been added to the SDK or Lscript,
and as Lscript would have to be updated too, and it hasn't been....

There are so many issues like that in the SDK....
Very few of the new features that LW makes available in the program
get enabled in the SDK, which should change....

PLD passes, Blending Modes, OGL2, Multishift...... (certain gradients)
None of these things, are given to programmers and scripters...
And it's becoming a real pain.

One day i'd like to see LScript and the SDK updated at the same time
as the features are implemented... Like Maya, XSI and C4D....

Dodgy
11-17-2005, 03:59 PM
Amen to that! :)

Chuck
11-18-2005, 11:36 AM
I don't think the PLD passes have been added to the SDK or Lscript,
and as Lscript would have to be updated too, and it hasn't been....

There are so many issues like that in the SDK....
Very few of the new features that LW makes available in the program
get enabled in the SDK, which should change....

PLD passes, Blending Modes, OGL2, Multishift...... (certain gradients)
None of these things, are given to programmers and scripters...
And it's becoming a real pain.

One day i'd like to see LScript and the SDK updated at the same time
as the features are implemented... Like Maya, XSI and C4D....

And the other issue is that when things have been added to the SDK or LScript, they haven't necessarily been documented with the first release in which they are present. The dev team is really doing their best to eliminate the SDK and LScript disparities at the v9.0 release, and both the dev and the docs teams are also working to make SDK and LScript documentation fully current at that release as well.

Dodgy
11-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Oh chuck you sexy man you :) You're getting me all excited :) I WANNIT NOW!

dballesg
11-19-2005, 06:13 AM
Hey Chuck,

Remember them to change the #include directives on the headers and remove the lwsdk directory from them. It is not a big deal to change them when we try to use the SDK, but it is a **** when it happens with different SDK versions.

And what about a C++ SDK? A few people are trying to do a wrapper, but it could be nice if we had it directly from Newtek! :) Cause the new dev team it is more C++ inclined right? :)

Cheers, David.

kcole
11-19-2005, 08:02 AM
How about some managed wrapper classes for us C# lovers? :)

hunter
11-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Not sure if it's mentioned (can't do a search for uv. too short.) so I'll not number it for now, and it's been around for a while. In the uv window in modeller the background image name in the window's dropdown list of images is never shown it's just blank.

RedBull
11-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Hey Chuck,
And what about a C++ SDK? A few people are trying to do a wrapper, but it could be nice if we had it directly from Newtek! :) Cause the new dev team it is more C++ inclined right? :)

Cheers, David.

The C++ wrapper is coming a long well, and some of the Lightwave developers
are involved in it's development....

A Java wrapper, will most likely happen after that, and proof of concept already exists..... So this should give LW a few extra choices for developers
in the new year..... So all is good.

And thanks Chuck, looking forward to LW9....

elfworks
11-20-2005, 01:31 PM
I had a scene that rendered fine on my rendernodes in 8.3, but locked up my rendernodes when I upgraded to 8.5. (The nodes would lock up shortly after loading the objects, but before printing 'scene loaded'. They seemed to be stuck in a loop, since the CPU load was above 80% on the nodes. I left some nodes running overnight, and they were still hung the next morning.)

The scene rendered fine within LightWave 8.5, but would not run on LWSN nodes.

I confirmed that the nodes locked up with both the old version of the scene, and also a new copy freshly saved out from 8.5.

Through process of elimination, I was able to get my nodes to run by removing the "Spreadsheet Scene Manager" plugin.

Further investigation showed that I could repair the problem by merely opening and closing the Spreadsheet Scene Manager, and then saving the scene file. (I can supply before and after versions of the scene, if needed.)

Looking at the scene files, I see only two differences:

Old 8.3 scene:

Has one extra plugin entry:

Plugin MasterHandler 2 .SpreadsheetStandardBanks
EndPlugin

'Repaired' 8.5 scene:

Has FIVE instances of 'Workspace', while the 8.3 scene file only had FOUR of the following entries:

{ Workspace
"Default"
ShowLockedItems 1
SupplementalRows 1 0
MultiselectSimilarTypes 1
UseLayoutLocking 0
UseLayoutTimelineLocking 0
ItemLimitMode 1
ItemSortMode 0
UseItemFilter 0
ItemFilter "" 0 5
ShowFilterControls 1
ShowBanks 1
ShowTimeline 0
BankDivider 0.40000001
{ Bank2
Class 1
PresetID 5f425042
Column 5f425042 0 50
Column 5f425042 1 65
Column 5f425042 2 65
Column 5f425042 3 65
Column 5f425042 4 65
Column 5f425042 5 65
Column 5f425042 6 65
Column 5f425042 7 65
}
TimelineDivider 150
TimelineZoom 2
TimelineRange 0 2
}

Otherwise, the scene files looked identical.

It appears that the scene file settings for the "Spreadsheet Scene Manager" are not updated - unless the user specifically activates the plugin.

It would be nice if LightWave automatically updated all plugin parameters when saving a scene file.

Thanks,
Erik Flom

mduclon
11-21-2005, 05:41 PM
I've had quite a few crashes with mm. but it's not consistant, so I can't post exact moves to make it happen.

<HD>
11-24-2005, 02:39 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this is the correct place to report a bug, I've posted it in a similar thread in the LW-PC forum too...

When trying to render an animation sequence for the first time in 8.5 I've found previously ok scenes to crash LWSN after the first frame. I have a small 10 machine renderfarm that is setup properly and happily renders in every LW version upto and including 8.3.

I tried today to find out what it was in particular about the scene that causes 8.5 to lockup/crash. I eliminated plug-ins, I reduced the polygon count, I cleared out all traces of scene editor banks etc, but whatever I did 8.5 LWSN still crashes. Oddly it renders the first frame fine on every machine so for instance frames 1 to 10 were all rendered fine. But at the point LWSN clears it's memory buffers it locks up.

I reverted to 8.3 and the same scene is now rendering fine. Hopefully this memory buffer issue can be resolved by 9.0. Heres hoping... ....thanks

toonafish
11-24-2005, 06:58 AM
Donno if this one is already been reported, did a search on surfaces but didn't find it so I suppose not.

Anyways, I found that in 8.5 quite often the Surface editor gets confused and changes Surface layers I haven't selected. So far I did not take the time to report this because if I do that with every little bug I'd never get any work done. I really get the feeling Lightwave is slowly crumbling down.

At this moment I'm trying to edit a layer in the color channel and. There are 12 layers, all of them are Weight gradients. When I select layer no.9 and change the blending mode, it keeps on changing the blending mode of layer no. 01.

I noticed something simular in the image editor. I happened more then once that I think I change the brightness of a selected image just to find out after some searching that layout randomly changed another image instead.

It happens randomly and I can't reproduce this, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this ?

Thanks

james_dmi
11-24-2005, 07:31 AM
Odd behaviour with Lightwave and series 80 nvidia graphics drivers.

I first noticed something was up when I first tried nvidia driver 81.85. Once installed I loaded a scene into Lightwave and turned on fprime. Immediately I noticed that fprime was very sluggish and that scrubbing the timeline has slowed down to one update every few seconds. If I turned off fprime then scrubbing was fine. I initially thought that there was some conflict between the driver and fprime and went back to driver 77.77 where everything was fine again.

Nvidia have since released a new driver 81.95 so I though I would give this one a go (I'm quite keen to get the series 80 driver as openGL performance seems to be better due I think to dual cpu support in the driver) I got exactly the same problem that I had with 81.85. On further investigation I then noticed that when I loaded Lightwave it was using 100% cpu even before I had loaded a scene! (and no fprime open) This did not change even when I loaded a scene (again without fprime). So although Lightwave was still responsive it has suddenly turned into a cpu hog with these new set of drivers. I played around a bit more and found that after scrubbing the scene a bit the cpu would sometimes drop to 0% and stay like that for a while. During these low cpu usage times Lightwave reacts exactly the same as when its using the high cpu so unless you have task manager open you would not notice the problem. This is definitely related to the fprime issue because if I open fprime during one of these low cpu periods it renders at its normal speed and time line scrubbing is responsive. The only difference now is that fprime does not update as often during scrubbing (on 77.77 it would update a few times a second so that I could actually see the animation movement, with 81.95 it does not update often enough of refine enough to see anything much during timeline playback/scrubbing) I would be happy with this but unfortunately the low cpu usage times don’t last and Lightwave can randomly go back to using 100% cpu at any time.

Modeller is also not immune to this effect I have noticed that after loading modeller uses a constant 50% cpu even before an object has loaded and carries on that way with objects. Again like Lightwave it seems to be reacting fine and you would not notice unless you have task manager open. I think modeller only uses 50% (which is all of one CPU) as a post to Lightwave 100% due to the single threaded nature of modeller.

So I am going back to 77.77 which is a shame as the 80 series drivers are noticeably faster on my dual CPU Opteron. If it wasn’t for the fprime problem I would carry on (even though I could not do any background rendering on the machine) but I can’t live without fprime.

PC LW 8.5
Windows XP SP2
Dual Opteron 252
BFG 7800GTX
Tyan K8WE (S2895)
2 GB ram

evenflcw
11-24-2005, 12:37 PM

There's an option in the GraphEditor (GE) called Track Item Selection (TIS). With this option active the GE constantly updates the channel bin to include all transformation channels of all the selected items. Problem is, there is one situation when it doesn't - When the GE is opened (after being closed).

Step:
0. Clear Scene!
1. Open the GE.
2. Make sure Track Item Selection option is active (and Filter Static Envelopes is inactive).
3. Close (not minimize!) the GE!
4. Add a second camera. Leave the name at default.
5. Select both cameras in the scene (via selection box, shift-clicking, or Scene Editor).
6. Open the GE.

Now notice the GE channel bin is only showing the channels of the last selected camera! It ought to be showing the channels of both cameras already if TIS is active and is to behave consistantly. Currently you have to do a Get Layout Selected to update GE right after you opened it. In other words, TIS sortof looses it's purpose if you don't work with GE constantly open, which not everybody does.

Acctually, imho, the GE should always open with the channels of all selected items instead of just the last, irregardless of whether TIS is active or not. But maybe that's just me.

Dodgy
11-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Actually, imho, the GE should always open with the channels of all selected items instead of just the last, irregardless of whether TIS is active or not. But maybe that's just me.

Seconded!!!

Fasty
11-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Seconded!!!

Thirded. Also, Track Item Selection doesn't work when selecting items in the Scene Editor, yet it does when selecting objects in Classic Scene Editor.

nick2k
11-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Bug #0060
lightwave 8.5
fprime 2.1
g2 1.71

Ok this might be a huge bug for either worley or lightwave. Basically i can get very accurate results with fprime using g2 and its subsurface scattering, im using area lights with a mix of diffrent falloffs alll casting shadows and radiosity active, but as soon as i render using lightwave the scattering is totally diffrent, i end up with shadow errors, scattering brightness is way to high.

No nice soft shadows and some really harsh scattering results. Not sure if anyone else has come across this before? :devil:

Dodgy
11-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Bug #0060
lightwave 8.5
fprime 2.1
g2 1.71

Ok this might be a huge bug for either worley or lightwave. Basically i can get very accurate results with fprime using g2 and its subsurface scattering, im using area lights with a mix of diffrent falloffs alll casting shadows and radiosity active, but as soon as i render using lightwave the scattering is totally diffrent, i end up with shadow errors, scattering brightness is way to high.

No nice soft shadows and some really harsh scattering results. Not sure if anyone else has come across this before? :devil:

This is something I briought up with worley, it's a feature he can only do in fprime with g2 for some reason, so it's not a bug, more a feature request. Ask him about it.

djtoltz
11-28-2005, 02:09 PM
I've had quite a few crashes with mm. but it's not consistant, so I can't post exact moves to make it happen.
I can help with that one. I hesitate to say much, because I just recently started working with Motion Mixer, but it keeps crashing, so I've moved onto something else.

To crash MM, you can open the "pose_mm.lws" scene from the LW 8.3 disk, slide one of the motion objects into the negative frame area, then click in the MM timeline to move the play-head to a negative frame. Wait a couple of seconds and "whoosh" ... no more LW. It is repeatable.

Panikos
11-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Bug #0060

I dont know if someone else mentioned this before ...

The procedure that converts/loads scenes with different FPS, erases all keyframes from Envelopes (MorphMixer, ImageFilter etc)
I assume it does the same for animatable Surface Envelopes.

:thumbsdow

rrobfogel
12-01-2005, 11:12 AM
We are noticing on our rendered movies that upon playback there are white lines throughout the playback, sort of seems like fields are missing or something. Anyone else seen this? And what could be causing this?

WCameron
12-01-2005, 08:41 PM
#061: scrubing in graph editor shuts Layout down cold.

LW 8.5, Win XP Pro, 2 gig memory, P4 3 gig. Geforce FX5900.

Duplicate:
Open the Teapot.lws Benchmark scene. (Actually ANY should work.)
Select a teapot of your choice.
Open the graph editor, and in a zigzagy pattern, drop
5 or 6 keyframes on the Y axis to make it move up and down
over the default 60 frames.
Now scrub back and forth IN the Graph Editor by placing the mouse
cursor over the time bar up arrow at the bottom of the section.
5 or 6 times back and forth and Lightwave will shut down cold, without warning or saving.

this is a HUGE workflow killer (I've set up and tweeked the same morphs
I dont know how many times now....)

- Will.
Hoping its something I can fix and NOT a bug, quite frankly...

Bill Carey
12-02-2005, 03:13 AM
#61 Confirmed

Load up only a sphere, everything works fine. Load up something heavy and lightwave exits as described. Also, load up something large and scrub in the graph editor as described, try stopping before lightwave exits. Everything will 'catch up' after a minute, but the Y movement will be exagerated. Go back to the main window and scrub and the object will pop back to the correct location.

Bill

ercaxus
12-02-2005, 03:25 AM
#042 update

Going back to pre-8.5 (8.0) didn't do anything. So I uninstalled 81.86 drivers and installed 77.77 drivers. Now Modeler starts up like normal. I am assuming there is a problem with the way Lightwave requests OpenGL drawing that the 81.86 drivers don't like. I don't know if this is considered a bug on Newtek's part or nVidia's part. I assume nVidia for previous versions of their drivers don't have this issue.

Arquero

Unfortunately my card ( nvidia 6800 gs) is not supported in 7x.xx driver series. So I can't go back to an old driver version. Modeler's perspective window freezes randomly. I can reproduce it by panning my 3d view for a while (well till it freezes ). I hope santa would stop by with another tiny update (8.51?) soon, or maybe Nvidia does something with the next driver.

Also my cpu is running %100 when I'm using both layout and modeler. It's an amd x2 3800 and it is on %50 when only one app (either modeler or layout) is running and the second one brings the total to %100.

Nitisara
12-02-2005, 06:53 AM
LW 8.5, Windows XP, AMD 64 3200+

Single-sided polygon doesn't cast raytrace shadow. BUT it casts shadow when it is flipped (also bug) or when material is double-sided.
Shadow map shadows are Ok.

GregMalick
12-02-2005, 12:40 PM
Here's an LScript annoyance that could break existing LScripts.

in LW8.5, the maximum size of a io variable has been changed from 125 to 100.
This is specifically in the section:

save: what,io {
blah blah blah
io.writeln( anIO )
blah blah blah
}

The variable anIO cannot be over 100. If it is LW crashes.
v8.0, v8.1, v8.2, v8.3 all had an upper limit of 125 bytes.

For non-progrmmers, this simply means that certain LScripts may cause LW8.5 to crash when the scene is saved.

EDIT

Through the help of a MAC user, I have discovered that on the MAC the limit is 99bytes. PC=100bytes.

PixelDust
12-02-2005, 03:44 PM
#0065: Removing or deleting an expression in Graph Editor in Layout crashes Layout

Steps:

1. Create an expression
2. Either press the "Remove" button in the Expressions tab
or right-click on the expression in the expressions list.
3. Layout crashes.

I was using one of the scenes from Inside LW 7, chapter 15 when this happened. I can deactivate an expression by unchecking it in the list, but I can't delete one.

djtoltz
12-02-2005, 05:57 PM
This is probably an old bug, but it has burned me twice, now. When I insert a plane into a scene with transparent regions, you can see objects behind the transparent regions of the plane, and the shadows of hypervoxels that should be there, but the hypervoxels are completely occluded by the plane; even in the transparent regions.

I'm attaching an example image with a plane blocking a extra-large hypervoxel.

Edit: I'm working on a Power Mac G5 2 Ghz dual processor; using Mac version of LW 8.5 (ATI Radeon 9600, 1GB Ram, etc.)

ACLOBO
12-04-2005, 12:14 AM
LW 8.5, Windows XP, AMD 64 3200+

Single-sided polygon doesn't cast raytrace shadow. BUT it casts shadow when it is flipped (also bug) or when material is double-sided.
Shadow map shadows are Ok.

Nitisara, this isn't a bug as far as I know - just a weird way that lightwave calculates the shadows for raytraced lights. It considers the polys facing away from the lightsource as the are teh polys that would define the shape that is hidden (or in shadow) to cast the proper shadow shape. THis is how it has been for a long time - even back in 6.x and 7.x series (I think). It is weird, but I don't think it is a bug.

-Adrian

Nitisara
12-06-2005, 09:36 PM
If object is marked as non-casting shadows, it still casts shadows for radiosity.

Panikos
12-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Nitisara, Radiosity doesnt cast shadows. Light rays are infinite and are travelling in space from source towards all directions.
If an object blocks radiosity course, it appears like shadow but is occlusion.
In order to have an object invisible by Radiosity you need to set it as "Unseen by Rays"
(Exclude Radiosity involves "shading")

Nitisara
12-07-2005, 07:36 PM
In order to have an object invisible by Radiosity you need to set it as "Unseen by Rays"
Well, this occlusion is effectively the shadow. If object is marked as non-casting shadows, why it makes occlusion for radiosity rays?
"Unseen by rays" option removes occlusion, but it has wider meaning than simply occlusion - it also removes object from reflection and raytrace transparency.

Panikos
12-08-2005, 03:33 AM
If a surface is not accessible by radiosity rays, it appears as shadow.
Occlusion is not shadow because it is generated by a completely different function, Shadows are generated by lightsources, Occlusion is generated by MonteCarlo.

As far as "Unseen by Rays" that contain all, Radiosity, Reflection, Refraction,
I requested separation in this thread.
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=39322

Eventually separating the Radiosity from Reflection/Refraction will provide what you want.

Nitisara
12-08-2005, 03:39 AM
Eventually separating the Radiosity from Reflection/Refraction will provide what you want.
Yep. Or respecting "Cast Shadow" flag in radiosity calculations :)

Panikos
12-09-2005, 06:06 AM
I've already explained in detail why splitting is necessary.
Your suggestion about shadow is more confusing.
Separation of Radiosity from rest of rays provides more solutions.

Nitisara
12-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Separation of Radiosity from rest of rays provides more solutions.
Yes, I agree with you completely, but it will be a feature request, not a bug.

Panikos
12-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Sorry for filling this thread with this dialogue, but ...

I cannot imagine future LW with this limitation, I hate it, I cant stand it,
I reached a point that there is no further.
I ordered LW9, if the splitting wont be provided, I swear that was my last upgrade.

:thumbsdow

Silkrooster
12-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Applying a lens flare to the default light does not work. However a work around is to create a new light, apply the the lens flare and remove the default light.
Silk

Silkrooster
12-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Importing a eps file produces a spline or 2 point polys, but will not create an n-gon. Work around use ai file format.
My system is Windows XP Pro, ATI 7500 All-in-wonder, Pentium 4 1.6GHz CPU, 640 MB and 80 GB HD.
Silk

F1Racer
12-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Well I too have had to go back to 8.3

I have a rig with 3.4Ghz 2Gb RAM and a 256Mb gfx card.

Since using 8.5 I am getting many OpenGL memory errors.
Also when loading fairly big objects (a couple of thousand polys or above) into Layout or Modeler, I just cant move them. Its worse in Layout, its like they freeze up.
After about 30s I am able to select wireframe mode which then allows me to manipulate the object again. If I then go back to Texture shading, the object just wont move. If it does then its like a very slow slideshow.

Dropping back to 8.3, these same objects load in, and can be manipulated with ease.
I dunno what went wrong with 8.5 there but its unworkable for me so Ive had to go back to 8.3.
I really hope this issue doesnt occur in LW9 and Im hoping that in the meantime there might be a patch for 8.5 to solve these memory issues which people are having.

toonafish
12-12-2005, 04:56 PM
there seems to be a bug with motion modifiers like Follower, Cyclist, Relativity and targetting where Fprime can't read the motions properly. I reported this to Worley support and they told me it's been reported to Newtek several month ago but so far it's not been fixed.

I just wanted to mention this in the hope it will be fixed in 9.0 because this really [email protected]#$#$&

toonafish
12-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Layout STILL replaces reference nulls in the surface editor with other objects in the scene after saving the object in modeler sometimes.

GET THIS FIXED PLEASE !! :thumbsdow

toonafish
12-13-2005, 11:10 AM
when I have a scene in Layout that uses a backdrop image and load another scene that uses one too Layout goes all crazy. It shows the wrong image in the render view but the name in the backdrop dropdown menu is correct.

the only way to fix it is to restart Layout :thumbsdow

toonafish
12-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Oh and could someone please take a look at the bug where Fprime doesn't like it when I replace an object. Whenever I do that I have to completely reload the scene otherwise Fprime goes crazy.
This bug has been there fore quite some time now, but today I feel like reporting every bug that drives me nuts.

The alternative is using the...cough, cough...hub, but I prefer not to.

maybe I start using it when it's working properly in 9....mwahahahaha !

sorry, I'm in a bad mood.

toonafish
12-13-2005, 04:44 PM
another one.....

I have some objects in my scene that are complelety transparent but keep showing up in my reflections.

After a few hours of fumbling around I finaly figured out what caused this.

It happens when the reflective surface uses raytacing and a spherical map and the objects that are transparent are using raytracing and either backdrop or a spherical map in the refraction options with no map selected. The only way to get rid of them reflecting in other objects is to use raytracing and a spherical map.

which [email protected] because then you see the transparant object where there's nothing to refract, like the background of the scene.

the same happens in Fprime and LW's renderer.

I attached an image to explain it better.

-Both tubes are 100% transparent !!

-The floor plane is set to 100% reflective, raytracing + spherical map and a white image as a reflection map.

-The tube on the right uses Raytracing + Sperical map in the Refraction Options, and the same white image as the floor uses as a Refaction Map.

-The one on the left uses Raytracing + Sperical map in the Refraction Options but no Refraction Map selected.

The left one is visible in the reflections of the floor ( looks like a shadow maybe, but trust me, it's the reflection, all shadows are off ).
The right one is visible where there's nothing to refract.

I know the workaround would be to use someting in the background to refract intstead of an image. But it still is a serious bug in my book, if an object is reflected should not be dependent on the refraction settings.

Nitisara
12-14-2005, 03:19 AM
1. Object replacement

For example I have object "test.lwo" in scene with hypervoxels applied to it, but later I renamed it to "test_object.lwo".
When I open scene, it fails to load "test.lwo" and asks for object replacement. I supply "test_object.lwo" instead of missing "test.lwo" and scene loads fine. But hypervoxels settings are all cleared for this object, as they were never applied. BUG: I lost all my hypervoxels settings.

2. Object addition

For example I have object "test_object.lwo" in scene with hypervoxels applied to it. Now I add new object "test.lwo" to my scene and then try to apply hypervoxels to it. BUG: LightWave fails to apply hypervoxels to new object "test.lwo" with this error code:
Instance creation failed. This object already has a particle server.
As I found out the reason of this bug is underline in object name.

Silkrooster
12-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Take a primitive for a foreground object and background object, duplicate the background object and rotate 90 degrees. For example a cube with 2 extruded disks. Now do a booean subtration. You can not see all the way through, because the other background object is blocking the view.
I just tried it again and now it is creating external faces that need to be manually flipped or deleted. Increasing subdivision does not help.

Edit: Doing a boolean union to the 2 disks first, will allow one object to completly subtract from the cube, but the other still does not.

Subtracting one object at a time works normally.
Silk

ercaxus
12-15-2005, 01:48 AM

When an object with IK Booster is parented to another object which also has IKB, the child gets 2 sets of IKB handles. The third object down the chain with IKB enabled has 3 handles etc...

If you have an IKB setup that works and has all your settings on it that took forever to setup and you want to parent this to another object that has IKB but doesn't have any settings applied yet you can copy the IKB plugin from the object's properties and paste it to the new parent. After this you can erase the IKB plugin that was on the parent.

BTW if you want the move and rotate options both available at the same time for an item this problem might be a useful thing.

Below in the 1st pic the second item in the chain is selected and in the 2nd pic the third object is selected.

Nitisara
12-16-2005, 01:26 AM
If when loading scene object missed some textures and I skipped loading them, then all bones from this object disappear.

Nitisara
12-20-2005, 10:08 PM
1) Load From Scene is not loading HyperVoxel settings. So, you cannot merge two scenes with HyperVoxels.
2) HyperVoxels do not respect "Receive Shadows" flag on the object. They still continue receive shadows even when this flag os off.

ercaxus
12-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Unfortunately my card ( nvidia 6800 gs) is not supported in 7x.xx driver series. So I can't go back to an old driver version. Modeler's perspective window freezes randomly. I can reproduce it by panning my 3d view for a while (well till it freezes ). I hope santa would stop by with another tiny update (8.51?) soon, or maybe Nvidia does something with the next driver.

Also my cpu is running %100 when I'm using both layout and modeler. It's an amd x2 3800 and it is on %50 when only one app (either modeler or layout) is running and the second one brings the total to %100.

The newest 81.98 drivers dated 12.21.05 from nvidia solved my problem with lw using the %50 of cpu power. I don't know about the freezing in viewports yet.

edit: viewports still freeze sometimes :(

Nitisara
12-21-2005, 09:11 PM
I don't know about the freezing in viewports yet.
I got two problems with nVidia GeForce 6800 GT:
1) Freezing viewports and sometimes even Windows crash after freezing.
2) Grid in Layout is not always visible close to camera when working fullscreen.

First problem solved after installing latest nVidia drivers.
Second problem still persists.

dee
12-22-2005, 05:11 AM
2) Grid in Layout is not always visible close to camera when working fullscreen.

do you have "fixed near clip distance" turned on?

Nitisara
12-22-2005, 05:31 AM
do you have "fixed near clip distance" turned on?
No. Please look on attachment.
While I navigate in the window this empty spot "runs" here ans there, and at some view angles it can disappear.

ercaxus
12-22-2005, 05:38 AM
I lose some of the wireframe on the wire-shade models while paning/rotating the view. it comes back quick.
and my viewports still keep freezing with the new nvidia drivers.

toonafish
12-26-2005, 10:47 AM
I created 350 Nulls to work around a bug in Layout, after I'm finished I wanted to delete them. But when I select all the Nulls and hit "clear object", it takes Layout about 3 minutes to delete one single Null, so it would have taken Layout about 17 hours, which is too long I think.

I reloaded the scene twice to see if it would fix the problem, but in the end I edited the scene in a text editor to get rid of them. It would be nice if this could be fixed.

working in Lightwave is like bughopping these days :devil:

mrunion
12-27-2005, 06:58 AM
I, as well as others, have reported the same problem as Nitisara (the missing grid lines close to the camera). I know of no fix and have seen it since the 7x.xx series drivers.

I just live with it, as like was said, rotating the view makes them come back. I HAVE found that the problem occurs with grid lines that are on the BOTTOM RIGHT quarter of the screen. IF you rotate the grid so that you are looking at it from underneath, the problem seems to go away.

Designer
01-01-2006, 01:38 AM
Try make a straight line with Marble Procedural texture in 8.5 (Me, I set Frequencies to 0). Marble won't render at all. However, in previous version of LW (before 8.3), I can make a straight line with Marble by setting Frequencies to zero, and it renders out fine. I tried it by uninstalling 8.5 and go back to 8.3 and it's true on my rig. Seems the way Marble behaves is different in 8.5.

Can anyone else confirm this? I am using AMD Dual Core

icedeyes
01-02-2006, 09:03 AM
here goes....

P4 2.8 HT, 1GB ram, geforce4 4400ti, Win XP

So, we start out with a shirt, a collision object man and a knife as models...

We setup the clothsim and the sewing for the shirt, the collision for the man and the event for the knife item to cut through the shirt where the sewing springs are...

I save the objects, save the motion data for the cloth and the scene... Then i try to load it up again and then lw always performs an illegal operation and crashes to the desktop...

I have tried it four to five times and i always have the same problem... Once it even poped up a message that the clothfx plugin was not loaded before it crashed... Reloaded it ad still got an illegal operation...

Nitisara
01-02-2006, 11:08 PM
LWSAF_SHADOW in Shader Handler plugin is not working.

toonafish
01-04-2006, 05:50 AM
The animation UV cycler does not work with the Normal Displacement textures, the "regular" Displacement Map textures and it's also broken in the "Bump Displacement".

And UVmaps in the "Textured Displacement" modifier are broken completely.

issaid
01-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Lightwave generates errors when applying the Fast Fresnel shader.
I have both the 32bit evrsiona dn the 64bit version installed on WinXPx64. The 32bit version works fine, but the 64bit crashes.

I have a Pentium D 820 w/2GB, GeForce 6600GT.

Nitisara
01-12-2006, 04:53 AM
1) If I perform "Load from Scene", and in loading scene there are some objects with cloth or soft dynamics applied and saved to files, then LW makes error on load and dynamics is loaded incorrectly.
2) If I make "Clear Motion" then file is removed, but "Shift Frames" doesn't reset to "0". So, when next time I make "Save Motion", first frame value adds to already existing value in "Shift Frames", so it has to be corrected every time.

kangonto
01-13-2006, 04:47 AM

This is a really nasty bug.

In my actual project i had to put 500 streetlamps. So i loaded an object into layout and cloned it 500 times. Result: Rendertimes are 10 times slower !!
But if i delete all the lamps and load a single object containing all the 500 streetlamps, then the problem dissapear.

It's the second time it happens to me: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=177257

It's not an exclusive 8.5 bug, probably it's a quite old one.

Nitisara
01-13-2006, 05:04 AM
In my actual project i had to put 500 streetlamps.
500 lights will definitely render slower than 1 light

kangonto
01-13-2006, 10:10 AM
500 lights will definitely render slower than 1 light

No if the lights are switched off.

And, BTW ... I'm not so stupid. :)

I mean, there is no lights in streetlamps. It's a daylight scene.

Please read again. People in Forums tends to read too fast.

Nitisara
01-13-2006, 10:24 AM
No if the lights are switched off.
From your initial post I understood that you have lights turned on.

kangonto
01-13-2006, 10:46 AM
But if i delete all the lamps and load a single object containing all the 500 streetlamps, then the problem dissapear.

From this part of the text you could have understood:

- Two scenes with the same number of polygons. (500 streetlamps)

- The light configuration of the two scenes are identical because both have the same number of streetlamps and lights (just a sun and fill lights in this case but it doesn't mind).

- There is something wrong with one of them and has nothing to do with lights.

SO

- lots of clones: BAD
- a single object with all the stuff : MUCH BETTER
- Forget lights

AND, OF COURSE

shouldn't be that way.

Is my English so bad ? :)

kangonto
01-13-2006, 10:51 AM
....But if i delete all the lamps ...

Well, maybe you understood that i deleted all the lights.

I use the word 'lamps' just to abbreviate, i meant 'streetlamps'

Sorry

toonafish
01-13-2006, 01:03 PM
maybe a wild guess, but are there any trees very far away. Maybe so far away they only take up a few pixels ?

A long time ago we has this project where we used a lot of particles. And whenever the unused particles ( that were all in the same position, waiting for their turn ) were accidently in camera, rendering slowed down to a few hours per frame. Mostly chewing away on a single pixel.

jaxtone
01-15-2006, 03:52 PM
I copied about 100 keyframes in the graph editor from one place to another... this copy frames function makes the graph editor work very slow.

I tested to set the same keys manually in a backup scene file and then everything seemed alright, meaning that then there were no waiting time at all when editing whole sheets of keyframes.

Is this a bug or what?

Nitisara
01-17-2006, 01:30 AM
In ClothFX -> File page -> Load button
dialog title is incorrectly set to "save item data".

kopperdrake
01-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Not sure if it's been reported already, or whether it's a 'feature', but in the Texture Editor for a surface in Layout (assume Modeler too but untried), clicking on the visibility on/off tick box for a layer also makes that layer the one you're editing - even though you've just turned it to 'unseen'. I made changes to several layers only to find that I was actually altering one I'd just made invisible, and also just finalised! I'm sure earlier versions of LW let you toggle this without actually making that toggled layer the active one. It's a pain to toggle something off to then have to reclick on the layer you want to work on.

Dunk

kopperdrake
01-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Another - again, not sure of previous versions but when I 'save all objects' in Layout, the current surface I have chosen in the Surface Editor always jumps back to the first surface of the first object. A pain if you save regularly as I do and also have a lot of objects in your scene.

BTW - plus point for LW8 in general - incremental save is one of the best things for me ever :D Thx

Dunk

kopperdrake
01-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Another bug - serious one.

I've been using LW for about 6 hours on and off, test rendering in FPrime. I go back into Modeler to assign a new surface to my object (low poly - about 600 polys in the total scene) and as soon as I hit 'q' in Modeler, Modeler just disappears :( Even shutting down everything (including the hub) and restarting only Modeler, it happens. Not good. Hopefully a restart of the PC will do it, but it's never happened before, and this PC is rock solid - HP xw6000 dual Xeon workstation with 4Gb.

Anyone else? Is this the right place to report these things? I've a couple of massive projects coming up, think I'm going to have to go back to 8.3 if this isn't fixed soon :(

Dunk

kopperdrake
01-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Update to the Modeler disappearing with a key press problem - logging off XP and back on again seems to cure it. Does a log off of XP flush the memory?

ercaxus
01-17-2006, 09:19 PM
In IK Booster changing a value in numeric panel doesn't change anything. Switching back to normal mode and changing the value is possible.

ercaxus
01-17-2006, 09:26 PM
In IKB the numeric panel shows only translation values while item in rotate mode is active.
Since it is posible(and desirable in most cases) to move the object in rotation mode, this makes sense but, since IKB is almost modeless (compared to the working style of native lw tools) an extended numeric panel with rotational values would be a good solution.
Also having a working numeric panel would make this feature slightly more useful :D

edit: Also IKB numeric panel values do not match the real values. LW uses one more digit for values. 1.200 in IKB becomes 1.2002 in LW.

toonafish
01-18-2006, 04:54 AM
FX_motion random rotations give a different rotational value every time you reload the scene.

Missed another deadline because of this bug, I really have to check and double check every %#$$#$ feature in LW.

does anyone from NT even read this thread ?!

toonafish
01-18-2006, 05:02 AM

I've been using LW for about 6 hours on and off, test rendering in FPrime. I go back into Modeler to assign a new surface to my object (low poly - about 600 polys in the total scene) and as soon as I hit 'q' in Modeler, Modeler just disappears :( Even shutting down everything (including the hub) and restarting only Modeler, it happens. Not good. Hopefully a restart of the PC will do it, but it's never happened before, and this PC is rock solid - HP xw6000 dual Xeon workstation with 4Gb.

Anyone else? Is this the right place to report these things? I've a couple of massive projects coming up, think I'm going to have to go back to 8.3 if this isn't fixed soon :(

Dunk

I've noticed simular behaviour when using the Hub and Fprime. That's why I stopped using the Hub.
But Fprime doesn't like reloading objects either, so instead of reloading objects you often end up reloading the complete scene.

Nitisara
01-18-2006, 05:33 AM
If you open object in Modeler, and surfaces of this object contain animated channels, then all keyframes are in 30 fps frame rate, even if you made them in Layout in 25 fps rate.

kopperdrake
01-18-2006, 06:12 AM
Thanks toona - how do I disable the hub? I've always used it in the past so not even sure what happens *if* I disable it!

Seems like there are some serious bugs happening here - I hope they're to do with us getting closer to the v9 rewrite and most of them will 'disappear' when that comes out :)

toonafish
01-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks toona - how do I disable the hub? I've always used it in the past so not even sure what happens *if* I disable it!

you can disable the hub by typing "-0" after the target path in the shortcut to Layout or Modeler. You can also point LW to a custom config directory if you type "-c" and then the path to the cfg files.

So in my modeler shortcut it says: C:\LW85\Programs\modeler.exe -0 -cC:\LW85\cfg

lardbros
01-18-2006, 12:26 PM

Dunk

Ummmm, you know what?? Ive just had the exact same problem with modeller, and it did it twice... i thought "dang it's a good thing i saved".

THEN, i realised that i had capslock on and instead of trying to apply a surface by pressing 'q'. I had pressed 'Q' and this quits modeller. It appears to be a quitting crash, but only quits modeller completely if you have the models saved.

I don't mean to say that this is definitely your problem, but you say it's fine when you logout of windows. Do you have a password to log in? Coz i would say that you don't use caps for it, and therefore then turned it off without even thinking?

Funny how i had the same thing happen to me just now though.
I'm off to change the keyboard shortcut for quit! :D

regenerator
01-19-2006, 01:46 PM
My first time posting. I have 3 problems. 1.) My models seem to corrupt when I use 2 point poly chains 2.) When I copy and paste shaders mainly BDRF from one surface to another Layout crashes. 3.) When I use radiosity I get the these little colored specks in the image. Other than that this is an awesome program. :thumbsup: I've reconfigged the cfg files twice after I reported these problems to NT. I am a one man band and if I could overcome these problems it would make my life easier. Right now I barely use Saslite. I do hope Lightwave 9 will have a fully functioning Hair and Fur or maybe in later releases. Thanks and hope to hear from somebody soon. I have a Dell Dimension 6500 with 1GB memory, 128 DDR Radeon 9700 TX w/TV out card. Windows XP, Lightwave 8.5.

TheGreatRaja
01-22-2006, 01:07 AM
1st off this error concerns 8.3 (but that area is closed, thought I'd toss it on the pile here)
Concerns Layout and Nulls.

Take a scene toss in a few nulls.
Grab an object that has say 50 layers....
Watch the fun begin as you objects become named the same as the nulls!

infact layout will treat them as nulls.
Scrolling along through the object... Oops, hit a Object with a Null name (say Light Light Target, Camera Target, anything reall) Boink! hey we're back at the place where the real null is in the list....

Update : It also renames layers with other objects

I have only 1 50M Cube in the scene
The changed item should be _LeftPinky.Pivot

kopperdrake
01-22-2006, 04:37 AM
My first time posting. I have 3 problems. 1.) My models seem to corrupt when I use 2 point poly chains 2.) When I copy and paste shaders mainly BDRF from one surface to another Layout crashes. 3.) When I use radiosity I get the these little colored specks in the image. Other than that this is an awesome program. :thumbsup: I've reconfigged the cfg files twice after I reported these problems to NT. I am a one man band and if I could overcome these problems it would make my life easier. Right now I barely use Saslite. I do hope Lightwave 9 will have a fully functioning Hair and Fur or maybe in later releases. Thanks and hope to hear from somebody soon. I have a Dell Dimension 6500 with 1GB memory, 128 DDR Radeon 9700 TX w/TV out card. Windows XP, Lightwave 8.5.

I can only help with the little specks in radiosity images. Are you using HDRI images? Search the forums for this one as there are workarounds :) Not sure if it's a 'bug' or just a HDRI thing :)

regenerator
01-22-2006, 08:36 AM
I can only help with the little specks in radiosity images. Are you using HDRI images? Search the forums for this one as there are workarounds :) Not sure if it's a 'bug' or just a HDRI thing :)
Thanks for responding. Newtek helped me with the 2point poly chains. Just use less which in reality is better for me and if I want to use more save the guide chains separately and put them together in Lightwave. Answer to your question is no. I haven't used HDRI image. I'm thinking it's an artifact from specularity or I use a low radiosity setting which maybe a cause. But thanks kopperdrake.

Panikos
01-22-2006, 09:01 AM
3.) When I use radiosity I get the these little colored specks in the image.

This is not a bug at all.
Radiosity is a chapter on its own and its hard to describe in detail the reasons you get such specks. I suggest to read the LW manual as well as google the net and read some articles about radiosity in general.
The principles that govern radiosity and light in general are very similar, if not identical to all 3d apps.

erikals
01-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Bridge Tool Bug,
selecting few polys and running Bridge Tool works fine,
but when selecting more polys it bugs.

(Edit, it might be that the bug appears when the difference of the poly-selection is somewhat over 60 degrees, not sure)

http://www.erikalstad.com/cgtemp/BridgeToolBug2.avi
(Here is a thread on it - http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=42243&goto=newpost)

Lewis
01-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Bug #90

CONFIRMED

my machine spec: WinXP SP2 , 2GB Ram, Nvidia GFX, 3GHZ CPU and LW 8.5 (win32)

djtoltz
01-31-2006, 09:26 AM
Anytime I try and use cloth dynamics now I get scan errors and calculation times so bad I have to reboot my machine.

this is also the case for calculating collision objects.

The same file worked fantastic prior to the upgrade from 8.3 to 8.5 on PC Intel, Windows XP, 3.7 gig processor, 2 gig ram

I'm now running OS X 10.4.4 on my G5 dual 2Ghz with ATI Radeon 9600. Using LW 8.5, no matter what FX I'm using, clicking "Calculate" results in a LW crash. I'm not sure when this started, but if I open the same scene in LW 8.3, the calculate works as expected. LW 8.3 had occassional crashes, but LW 8.5 seems to be 100% consistant. I've tried several scenes that had been working, sample scenes from the DVD, and very simple test cases. All of them produce an error and crash.

I know at least one other person running on a similar setup to mine (dual processor G5 2.7Ghz with OS X 10.4.4) has exactly the same problem, because I tested on his machine. Also, I tried re-installing the 8.5 update into an empty folder. I removed my preferences, reloaded plug-ins, etc. The crash is 100% repeatable.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I'll use LW 8.3 as a work-around.

Boris Goreta
01-31-2006, 07:10 PM
When i UV map an object and select subpatch UV interpolation (not linear as is default) the modeler slows down 200% when I move points around. If I have another object in layer two which does not have any UV mapping moving it's points is again 200% slower. If I open vertex map window and set interpolation to linear on every vertex map present modeler speeds up again when moving points. It might be understandable for modeler to slow down when editing points with subpatch UV interpolation but it is not OK that it slows down on editing another layer with no UVs at all.

Recreate the bug this way:

create sphere in layer 1 with default values
subdivide it (shift+D) with metaform option twice
subpatch it
copy this sphere to layer two

go to layer 1
select single viewport and perspective view
move points around with drag command ctrl+T
notice how points move fast in subpatch mode

go to map->new UV map
select subpatch interpolation->subpatch and hit ok

notice how points move slow in subpatch mode

(bonus bug (optional): select layer 2 now and drag points, modeler will crash ! :devil: )

open vertex map window F8 and change UV interpolation to Linear
notice how points move fast again in subpatch mode

subpatch UV interpolation affects speed on editing all other layers
regardless of those objects having UVs or not.

Nitisara
02-01-2006, 12:12 AM
When multiple lights are selected, if you open Lights Properties panel and change some value there (light intensity or color), then all selected lights will change their values. Although from the panel it is evident that these settings are only for current light, but not for selection.

Nitisara
02-01-2006, 01:32 AM
If I open Motions Options panel and then immediately I try to open Properties panel by pressing "p" hotkey, Motion Options panel disappears without opening Properties panel.
If I make any mouse click before pressing "p" it opens fine.

dballesg
02-01-2006, 01:52 AM
When multiple lights are selected, if you open Lights Properties panel and change some value there (light intensity or color), then all selected lights will change their values. Although from the panel it is evident that these settings are only for current light, but not for selection.

Hi Nitisara, I wouldn't vonsider this a bug, it is mora afeature that let you multiple changes on multiple lights at the same time. It was a request loong time ago.

In that way you do not need to use the property page of the dopesheet to do a multiple change.

Best regards,
David

Nitisara
02-07-2006, 03:16 AM
1) Inactive Collision objects

If object with activated Collision dynamics is not visible in viewport (no wireframe or shading), it is not participating in dynamics calculations.
I don't know is it a bug or what, but it is not good, because collider should be switched on in two places to work properly (in dynamics tab and to be visible in viewport, and to set viewport visibility one has to open scene editor and to browse hierarchy to find out what kind of visibility it has). I think that dynamics on/off switch should be enough to set collider activation.

2) Delayed cloth dynamics

If object has cloth dynamics applied, but switched off in dynamics tab, it still takes time in dynamics calculations. It is bad, because you have to remove it completely from dynamics tab (losing all its settings) to calculate dynamics without this object. I think that dynamics on/off switch should be enough to set cloth activation.

Nitisara
02-07-2006, 10:45 PM
1) Open Scene Editor
2) Create camera
3) Close Scene Editor
4) Remove Camera
5) Open Scene Editor - LW crashes

RedBull
02-07-2006, 11:16 PM
1) Open Scene Editor
2) Create camera
3) Close Scene Editor
4) Remove Camera
5) Open Scene Editor - LW crashes

Confirmed:
Yep it sure does.....

Nitisara
02-08-2006, 01:44 AM
perform characters setup:
1) Create Null1
2) Add bone to Null1
3) Apply IKBooster to Null1
4) Create Null2
5) Add bone to Null2
6) Apply IKBooster to Null2

perform parenting:
7) Parent Null2 to bone of Null1
8) Unparent Null2
9) Parent Null1 to bone of Null2 - LW disappears from the screen

Nitisara
02-08-2006, 03:12 AM
Size of Scene Editor window affects visibility of last frame of timeline.
So when you resize Scene Editor window you cannot be sure that afterwards it will display last frame.

And what is even more important: Scene Editor does not show final frame at all. Say, there is 0..60 frames range on timeline, and you have keys on frames 0 and 60. But Scene Editor is not showing you keyframe on frame 60, because it is limited to 0..59. It is strange that you can set keyframe on frame 60, but you cannot view it in Scene Editor without changing frames range.

Nitisara
02-08-2006, 03:34 AM
When you perform Load From Scene, where cloth dynamics was applied and motions were saved, you get "ClothFX: node match error" as many times, as there were saved motions.

Jockomo
02-08-2006, 07:38 AM
The error is:
I have had this problem ever since this plugin came out.

It has happened on totally different scenes and objects.

Sometimes this plugin works, sometimes it doesn't. I guess I could spend all day trying out different scenes to see if i can figure out exactly what causes the problem, but then again, imo that's newtek's job.

I asked them about this problem once, and they told me that maybe my objects were too big. Ya know if I was building million poly objects with useless polygons everywhere I could understand. But this object has <20k polygons.

I am just really getting frustrated because it seems like every time I work on a complex scene, something that should work does not. I can post here about the problem and I get no answers.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=14755

And how about the scene editor, it still crashes if you look at it wrong.

I'm just getting tired and frustrated with all of these little bugs.

Nitisara
02-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Here I attach some renders. As you see, of these four images only two are acceptable:
- when blur is off;
- when there is nothing on background and AA is off.

If you want to use vector blur with geometry on background or with AA, you get unacceptable results:
- when there is geometry on background, blur disappears where geometry overlaps;
- when AA is on, strange black lines appear on the borders of geometry.

In these renders AA was low enhanced, vector blur was high quality 50% strength.

Also I want to add that "blur" mode of Vector Blur gives strange results when some parts are heavily blurred, and some parts have no blur at all. So it cannot be used.
If to use camera blur, then its quality is unacceptable low, or it requires extremely high number of passes, which is also unacceptable.

SplineGod
02-09-2006, 12:59 AM
I believe the documents state that Vector blur is best used over a black background and then composited over your background footage. :)

Nitisara
02-09-2006, 01:09 AM
I believe the documents state that Vector blur is best used over a black background and then composited over your background footage. :)
No, Larry, there is nothing in docs about necessity to compose when using Vector Blur.

Nitisara
02-09-2006, 10:31 PM
LW fails to render saved soft body at first frame over network (LWSN.EXE). Soft body appears only on the second frame.

Nitisara
02-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Preview cannot be saved in mpeg4 codecs such as XviD MPEG4 or DivX.

faulknermano
02-15-2006, 02:22 AM
No, Larry, there is nothing in docs about necessity to compose when using Vector Blur.

this information is actually in the lw850addendum.pdf. cant really blame you if you didnt see it though: the manuals' organisation, imo, is very confusing.

SplineGod
02-15-2006, 02:32 AM
lol, I knew I saw it somewhere.... ;)

Nitisara
02-15-2006, 02:55 AM
this information is actually in the lw850addendum.pdf. cant really blame you if you didnt see it though: the manuals' organisation, imo, is very confusing.
Where did you find that file? :)
Anyway...

Nitisara
02-15-2006, 03:04 AM
lol, I knew I saw it somewhere.... ;)
now I know who on earth reads these addendums, notes, readmes and so on - Larry does :)

evenflcw
02-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Preview cannot be saved in mpeg4 codecs such as XviD MPEG4 or DivX.

Are you sure this is correct!? I think you just need to be careful what size the (first) viewport is. These codecs demand that the input have certain dimensions, typically something dividable in 4x4, 8x8 or 16x16 (not sure how low it goes; I think this relates to the smallest possible makro block). If the viewport and input have dimensions that don't conform to these demands, these codecs simply can't do their work and won't perform. So imho the issue here is really that the user isn't recieving enough feedback when resizing viewports (the dimensions of each viewport could be shown while resizing), or Make Preview needs a cropping function so input could be cropped before encoding. In other words, this is a feature request :)