PDA

View Full Version : Mac Bug Workshop - LightWave 8.5

Chuck
10-10-2005, 12:27 PM
The purpose of this thread is to gather bug reports current for 8.3 on the Mac. Please try to cross-reference the Bug Workshop threads on the PC and General support forums - all bugs should appear in the General Forum Bug Workshop thread, and Mac platform specific bugs should be reported here as well.

Borrowing from Riki:

Suggested format:

-------------------------------------

# 001 Ref number for tracking and Bug confirmation from other users.

LW 8.2, OS: 10.3.4, G4 800, 512

Followed then of course by the bug report, with numbered steps to repeat the error. Followed hopefully by confirmation from other users.

FAQ on Workshop Procedures:

Is it best to edit a previous post or make a new post, when there is new information on a given bug?

There is a reasonable enough case for each alternative to make doing both worth considering. Editing the initial report post can make things easier for folks coming to the thread new and going through it for the first time (it would be a good idea to include the date as part of your entry for the new info added this way); however, it might also be wise to provide for those who have been reading as the thread developed and who jump to the end when they come back, by appending a new post with a note such as "Post # 43 has been edited to include this new information about bug #052: [paste new info here]."

Should I post only bugs that are new in this version, or can I post bugs that existed before?

Any bug that exists in the current build should be reported in the Workshop thread. If it also existed in the previous build or perhaps even recurred from some earlier version, then that information should be noted as well, with reference to the previous workshop thread and post in which it was previously reported, if available, or the previous version in which it occurred.

MrChristopherSL
10-10-2005, 08:04 PM
When I try and use Super Shift, I get a plugin cannot be found error. I've rescaned my plugins directory but still get the same error.

Also, I don't see Multishift in the Extend menu (or anywhere else).

Thanks,

Chris

BazC
10-11-2005, 02:08 AM
#002 Vertices are only visible in Wireframe and Colour Wireframe in Modeler.

LW8.5 OS10.3.9 1.25 GHz G4 Radeon 9200 768MB RAM

I've just been fooling around with this and realised that if you make the surface double sided the verts show up so at least there is a workround!

gschrick
10-11-2005, 05:12 AM
003 - HARD FX Dynamics crashes Layout.

I have a billiards scene created with 15 balls and table plane, all set up with Hard Effects dynamics and collision for a break. When I hit calculate, layout crashes. I reinstalled 8.3 and it works fine.

3DeeNut
10-11-2005, 11:54 AM
When I try and use Super Shift, I get a plugin cannot be found error. I've rescaned my plugins directory but still get the same error.

Thanks,

Chris

I am having the same problem. I emailed support earlier today (10/11/05), but no reply as of yet. I am guesing they are looking into this bug. Help!

LSlugger
10-11-2005, 12:37 PM
As reported in the 8.2 thread as 007 and the 8.3 thread as 004, VIPER's mosaic mode still doesn't work on the Mac.

Chuck
10-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Re: 001:

I've added the number for you. Please remember to number your reports here. Thanks!

This is not a bug. Multishift replaces Supershift.

Thanks,

Chris

To see the new menus associated with an update, it is sometimes necessary to remove your old config files, rescan your plugins folders, and then quit Layout, Modeler and the Hub so that they rewrite the config files, then relaunch them. Alternatively, you can use the Edit Menus panel to add Multishift to your menu and remove the obsolete reference to Supershift.

Chuck
10-11-2005, 02:10 PM
The bug report that should have been 003 was not numbered - we've added that. Kudos to LSlugger for noticing this and numbering his report correctly!

It will be a terrific help if you check for numbering immediately after posting - forgotten, or if someone else was also posting at the same time, duplicated - and make a correction if needed. We'll try to have someone check and correct daily and post to confirm "correct to this point", but again, it will be tremendously helpful if you can double-check immediately upon posting, or review back to the point where NewTek staff has posted that the numbering has been reviewed by us and corrected if needed.

And thanks very much for jumping right into reporting and confirming! :)

timschmidt
10-11-2005, 04:45 PM
mine doesn't open at all. its awesome!

[Suggested possible description: After installing v8.5 update, LightWave will not run.]

[Note from the Moderators: If you intend to report a bug, then be specific about the description. If you just need to vent, this thread is not available for that purpose.]

nikturnal
10-11-2005, 04:49 PM
The LS Commander is still broken? When in layout I find that when the dialog box is open the viewports won't update when you move things until you close the script commander. This makes it difficult to clone things like trees or lightposts. This worked fine in 7.5 and I was hoping they would fix this in 8.5. With every update that comes out, this is the first thing I check to see if its fixed and to my disappointment the problem is still here.

Machine specs;
Dual 2ghz G5, ati 9600, OS 10.3.9, 1.5gigs of ram

paulrus
10-12-2005, 07:35 AM
LW 8.5, OS: 10.3.4, G4 dual 1.5ghz, 1.5 gigs

Insert a new layer between existing named layers. All named layers with a higher number than the inserted layer lose their names.

3DeeNut
10-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Chuck

Just wanted to thank you. The fix worked for me and everything is working splendidly. Appreciate the response.

Dunno how its not a bug tho... i mean im a noob to LW but that was hardly intuitive. :bangwall:

Thanks

Chuck
10-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Added number to Post 9, Bug 005. Changed numbers in post 10 and 11 to account for the change.

To all, it will be a terrific help if you check for numbering immediately after posting - forgotten, or if someone else was also posting at the same time, duplicated - and make a correction if needed. We'll try to have someone check and correct daily and post to confirm "correct to this point", but again, it will be tremendously helpful if you can double-check immediately upon posting, or review back to the point where NewTek staff has posted that the numbering has been reviewed by us and corrected if needed.

Thanks again, for your reports and confirmations!

Chuck
10-12-2005, 03:36 PM
Chuck

Just wanted to thank you. The fix worked for me and everything is working splendidly. Appreciate the response.

Dunno how its not a bug tho... i mean im a noob to LW but that was hardly intuitive. :bangwall:

Thanks

It's just the "missing Supershift" part that I was referring to as not being a bug...that's why I split the reply.

3DeeNut
10-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Anyhow, thanks! I was just nitpickin...lol, Like i said, all is workin which i think is all anyone wants :)

ingerso2
10-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Just finished manual hair-transplant undo. After failing to get any blur even with aperture set to 0.00001 with LW 8.5, tried same scene in 8.0 and got the expected level of blur. (yes, set up with sufficient AA and all, and scene works just fine in 8.0)

side note -- DOF also fails to render in fPrime 2.0 with LW 8.5

:I_Love_Ne

Evan

[edit for details]
LW 8.5 on OSX 10.3.9, Dual-1GHz PowerMac (MDD 2002), 1.75GB RAM

ingerso2
10-13-2005, 04:00 PM
OK, make that "inconsistent behavior". Quit LW 8.0, re-tried the scene in 8.5, and it worked. No changes to scene at all.Yet it didn't work at all with several other scenes yesterday. ?????????????
E

Just finished manual hair-transplant undo. After failing to get any blur even with aperture set to 0.00001 with LW 8.5, tried same scene in 8.0 and got the expected level of blur. (yes, set up with sufficient AA and all, and scene works just fine in 8.0)

side note -- DOF also fails to render in fPrime 2.0 with LW 8.5

:I_Love_Ne

Evan

[edit for details]
LW 8.5 on OSX 10.3.9, Dual-1GHz PowerMac (MDD 2002), 1.75GB RAM

gschrick
10-13-2005, 06:57 PM
I reinstalled update 8.5 and loaded all the layout plugins. Everything seems to work now including Hard FX.

stealthoperator
10-14-2005, 06:23 AM
[009 - number added by moderators...]

Hello!

I have troubles with LScript. I try to run QuickPicker Pro by S.Kvaalen. But it crashes quite all the time. He told me that there are Problems with Mac LScript.

Since I had this problem with LW 8.3 and also with 8.5, I report this as a bug. Make LScript working 100% on Mac.http://vbulletin.newtek.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

Cheers

Chuck
10-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Added numbering to report 009...

somnambulance
10-16-2005, 01:43 PM
When I try and enter a value on a any cut past the first one, the value jumps around with different numbers. It hasnt worked on any version of 8.

I tested it on the PC version, and it works.

BazC
10-16-2005, 04:28 PM
When I try and enter a value on a any cut past the first one, the value jumps around with different numbers. It hasnt worked on any version of 8.

Confirmed OS 10.3.9 1.25GHz G4 eMac Radeon 9200 768Mb Ram

somnambulance
10-18-2005, 03:16 PM
I dont know exactly what I am doing to cause this, but when it comes up it wont let me 'save as' and I think it ruins your LWO file if you save it. When it came up this time, I was selecting points and about to add a polygon py pressing 'P'. When it comes up again I will give more info. Here are the screen shots:

pantone
10-19-2005, 08:08 AM
I'm working on a project where I'm using "Save Incremental" as I go. I've noticed that the "File>Recent Files..." list does not update properly with the incremental information. It seems to stop keeping track at version 4 of the two models I've saved in increments so far.

mbaldwin
10-20-2005, 01:15 PM
012 - cut tool interactivity not working

using the 'cut' tool. no visual update of slices--editing, adding, deleting, uniform, all now don't show anything on the polys being worked on. Once you press 'continue' and leave dialog box, the poly cuts show up.

Have tried erasing latest 'cut' config file, still no go.

Dual 2.5 ghz PowerPC G5, LW 8.5 modeler, Mac OSX 10.3.9

3DeeNut
10-21-2005, 08:49 AM
The focus on saslite is getting lost if you click on color and then anything other than the color picker. This is on macintosh OSX and imagine that this is not a PC bug at all. Unfortunately you are forced to restart lw8.5 if you click the color tab then anything other than color because then there is no response from any of the open windows. Sas Lite, Color Picker or LW. If you work extremely carefully, this is not a problem, but acccidentally clicking in the wrong place leads to problems.

Thanks... and i hope my numbering is correct.
Paul

3DeeNut
10-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Ok, this problem occurs not only on color picker but anywhere within sas lite if you change applications... lets say... to the LW8 Help system to learn how to use saslite. :)

pantone
10-24-2005, 09:51 AM
When I unweld a point on an object that has had some of it's polygons hidden all of the points for the hidden polygons are displayed. The polygons remain hidden.

To recreate:

1. Create a sphere.
2. Select half of the sphere's polys and hide them.
3. Select a single point on one of the remaining (unhidden) polys.
4. Unweld that point.

The points from all the hidden polys will pop on.

Scazzino
10-24-2005, 10:45 AM
When I unweld a point on an object that has had some of it's polygons hidden all of the points for the hidden polygons are displayed. The polygons remain hidden.

I can confirm this, and I agree that this is indeed a bug... ;-)

-MikeS

PS. The bug numbers above are wrong... looks like there are multiple 11 & 12 numbered bugs...

Earl
10-24-2005, 11:34 AM
I can confirm this bug also occurs on a PC setup running Windows XP. NVIDIA Quadro card here.

luka
10-25-2005, 09:12 AM
this is something that I have noticed when working with the Surface Editor panel. When you do a save all objects the list keeps closing up. I thought that I would post some pic's as it's easier to describe. I'ts a bit of a workflow grinder.

marlo.steed
10-27-2005, 08:12 AM
PowerBook G4 -1Gz - 700 Mg. OSX 10.4
Lightwave 8.5
I had a scene in Layout that used ground fog with ray marcher. I used viper to figure out the proper settings but the numbers did not correspond to the scene (totally trial and error). That took forever. I then went to render the scene at a higher resolution and the fog was gone from the scene. It seems that the size of the render seems to affect the ground fog settings. I had to go back and play with the ground fog settings again (trial and error) to get it working again.

Sidebar: I note that even though antialiasing is turned off for the fog, it gets rendered with each pass when the rest of the scene is set to antialias. That seems crazy given how long ground fog takes to render with just one pass (ray marcher). There should be an option to render ground fog on the final pass of an antialias scene.

Scazzino
10-27-2005, 08:29 AM
I then went to render the scene at a higher resolution and the fog was gone from the scene. It seems that the size of the render seems to affect the ground fog settings.

Did you use the camera's "Resolution Multiplier" to increase the resolution, or did you just change the base resolution?

The difference between the two is specifically for pixel based processes like glows, shadow map edges, etc. Using the resolution multiplier will automatically scale such pixel based settings in the render but changing the base resolution means you'd also need to manually change any such pixel based settings throughout your scene.

I don't recall off the top of my head if fog is such a pixel based setting or not, but you can try using the resolution multiplier to increase the resolution of your original scene if you haven't already... see if that helps...

-MikeS

marlo.steed
10-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Yes, I did use the camera's "Resolution Multiplier" but I don't think that should have made a difference - to me that is bug. The settings in the ground fog dialogue box are based on distances so that should be absolute not based on render resolution. The program should accomodate for those changes automatically.

Scazzino
10-27-2005, 09:05 AM
Yes, I did use the camera's "Resolution Multiplier" but I don't think that should have made a difference - to me that is bug.

Good, I was just checking...

I peeked at the fog settings and I also agree that they don't look pixel based to me either.

Since you used "Resolution Multiplier" anyway, it probably should have worked either way, since that should scale any pixel based settings automatically (if for any strange reason they really were pixel based).

So it would appear to be a bug to me too...

-MikeS

gerry_g
10-27-2005, 12:22 PM
No matter by what means or in what order polygons are selected, or what numeric values entered, arbitrary and incorrect results are always returned. This is a problem not evident in the PC version.

gatz
10-28-2005, 02:45 AM
0017 Mac help system doesn't work

The html help system doesn't work. Files can't be found. Graphics don't link. Hit F1 or launch individual HTML, same problems.

Docs present in PC help install are missing from the Mac install.

DP G4 1GHZ, 1.75 GB, 10.3.9, ATI 9800 2x20" LW8.5

BazC
10-28-2005, 03:13 AM
0017 Mac help system doesn't work

It works for me in modeler and layout using the button and F1. OS10.3.9 G4 eMac

BazC
10-28-2005, 03:14 AM
0016: Select Nth Dialogue Broken On Mac

No matter by what means or in what order polygons are selected, or what numeric values entered, arbitrary and incorrect results are always returned. This is a problem not evident in the PC version.

Confirmed. OS10.3.9 1.25GHz EMac

paul summers
10-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Hello!

I have troubles with the Graph Editor it crashes 50% of the time
When I try and SET a values.

mac g5

3dworks
11-01-2005, 03:00 AM
ok, with the 10.4.3 update finally we get GLSL HW shading on the mac, too!! i tested my configuration (see below) with the attached 2 test scenes. the gradients test worked fine, but the procedurals set makes my mac hang. the spinning wheel appears and after a few minutes all i can see is like in the screenshot below.

anyone else having that trouble?

gerry_g
11-01-2005, 07:18 AM
the gradients test worked fine, but the procedurals set makes my mac hang. the spinning wheel appears and after a few minutes all i can see is like in the screenshot below.

You're getting the beach ball of death and a hang because your graphics card just isn't up to the slog I would guess, even on a dual 2.7 with a Radion 9650 I get the beach ball but no hang, just very very sow redraw times.........truth is you need a pro card to utilize this feature, something that's been obvious from the outset.

3dworks
11-01-2005, 08:28 AM
You're getting the beach ball of death and a hang because your graphics card just isn't up to the slog I would guess, even on a dual 2.7 with a Radion 9650 I get the beach ball but no hang, just very very sow redraw times.........truth is you need a pro card to utilize this feature, something that's been obvious from the outset.

gerry, thanks for testing, but i guess the ATI radeon 9800 pro mac SE should be even superior to the 9650. in any case, LW should not hang like that.

maybe it was not clear from my first message, but i do not get any result from the scene with the procedurals without crashing. what you can see in the second screenshot is an incomplete shading, with LW hanging (after around 2 minutes of 'wheel spinning').

did you get a complete shading without LW crashing?

unfortunately i have no nvidia card ready to test at the moment, would be interesting to see if this is an ATI issue. maybe someone else?

gerry_g
11-01-2005, 08:58 AM
did you get a complete shading without LW crashing?

Sorry if I did not make it clear, yes both files render without problem, if there is a problem it's that since OS9 and Quickdraw witch was hard ware
accelerated on the GPU just about every thing graphics wise is being done by the CPU's, so it looks like if the redraw OD's, the OS starved of processor time bites the dust.

lohic
11-02-2005, 07:15 PM
hello,

i got a problem with the select connected tool shortcut : ] it is not recognized, as [ { and }
i'm on os 10.4.3, 2x2.5 Ghz with a radeon X800XT

MidnightBrewer
11-02-2005, 09:22 PM
gerry, thanks for testing, but i guess the ATI radeon 9800 pro mac SE should be even superior to the 9650. in any case, LW should not hang like that.

I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition on a dual G4/1.25 and get the same issue (except right away, instead of eventually. Maybe shader-related, since I have G2 and IFW2 in the mix.) This shouldn't have anything to do with the system processor, since Core Video has been specifically designed to offload work to the GPU. I don't think it's a problem with the GPU's performance, either, since, as you said, the 9800 should be equal to or superior to the 9650. The fault has to lie with Apple's implementation of OpenGL and the ATI video drivers, unless the programmers made some non-standard OpenGL calls (which I doubt.)

Apple has classically had support issues with ATI hardware, and it's significant to note that the current line of G5s has dropped all support of ATI as a BTO option. Obviously, Apple is distancing themselves from ATI for a reason, and it may not just be because of some cozy financial deal they've struck with Nvidia.

gerry_g
11-03-2005, 03:34 AM
hello,

i got a problem with the select connected tool shortcut : ] it is not recognized, as [ { and }
i'm on os 10.4.3, 2x2.5 Ghz with a radeon X800XT

']' is select all, SHIFT+"]" is expand selection and select next/previouse/or current loop are in the modeling tool portion of your plugins menu layout editor, you have to assign them to a menu if you want to use them.
All work just fine in LW 8.5 under OSX 10.4.3 on a dual 2.7

Ante
11-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Hi,

8.5 on my MAC disables file endings, so that they are useless on a PC (which I use for rendering). I can rename them on the PC, but the scene, doesn't load properly, f.e. I have to manually load every object :(

Happens with .lws and .lwo and it worked well before ...

Ante

MidnightBrewer
11-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Hi,

8.5 on my MAC disables file endings, so that they are useless on a PC (which I use for rendering). I can rename them on the PC, but the scene, doesn't load properly, f.e. I have to manually load every object :(

Ante

LightWave on the Mac (not MAC, which is something associated with your ethernet card) has never automatically added file endings, so you have always had to add .lwo and .lws manually as you're creating your scene.

lohic
11-03-2005, 04:13 PM
']' is select all, SHIFT+"]" is expand selection and select next/previouse/or current loop are in the modeling tool portion of your plugins menu layout editor, you have to assign them to a menu if you want to use them.
All work just fine in LW 8.5 under OSX 10.4.3 on a dual 2.7

Oups !! sorry, i forgot to tell that i was french so, i'm on an azerty keyboard, If i want to make ']' i need to hit 'alt+shift+)' or 'alt+)' for '}'. None of this shortcuts works. If i use my azerty keyboard in qwerty mode it works well, but it's not really pratical.

Ante
11-03-2005, 04:52 PM
LightWave on the Mac (not MAC, which is something associated with your ethernet card) has never automatically added file endings, so you have always had to add .lwo and .lws manually as you're creating your scene.

Mac or MAC, this is not completely true, at least it worked before 8.5. Now even if I add the file endings the scene doesn't load properly (I have to manually load every object). This worked before without a problem. Now I can't take the files back home and render them on the render PC without a problem.

ante

subw
11-04-2005, 02:44 AM
Don't know if this is to be seen as a bug…

There are several problems with shortcuts. I think they only occur on german keyboards as the keys for \,[ and ] are variants (with alt+[key] or alt+shift+[key]) of the number 5,6,7.
Consequently, the shortcuts using [, ], /, \ are not recognized correctly, but as numbers. For example, when unsing the deselect shortcut, (\ which is alt+shift+7 on a german keyboard), the stuff gets deselected correctly, but also, layer 7 is in the foreground afterwards.

A possible solution could be the ability to turn of the layer selection by numbers.

I think this problem has the same origin as the one stated a few posts before. In that case, it was a french keyboard.

//edit: Same problem of course with { (alt+8) and } (alt+9)

MidnightBrewer
11-04-2005, 05:20 AM
I think this problem has the same origin as the one stated a few posts before. In that case, it was a french keyboard.

Same problem with Japanese keyboards. Basically, LightWave has some legacy hard-coded support for American QWERTY keyboards that makes life hard for the rest of us.

3DeeNut
11-15-2005, 01:21 PM
I keep getting "Assertion (points.size()>0) failed in "Poly.cpp", Line 160". This happens any time i place points and use create polygon. I am always selecting in cntrClkws manner. I have no idea why this happens, but its total system meltdown every time. AaAaaRRrgh. Anyhow, any help would be appreciated. I am a noob with LW so this may bee something that can be easy fix and i just dont know.....

Thanks

BazC
11-16-2005, 09:47 AM
Layout isn't loading the file default.lws placed at the root of the content directory. I've tried all kinds of variations on the official instructions, nothing works!

OS10.3.9 1.25GHz G4

eblu
11-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Layout isn't loading the file default.lws placed at the root of the content directory. I've tried all kinds of variations on the official instructions, nothing works!

OS10.3.9 1.25GHz G4

see this thread:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=42975

I suspect that the implementation of this "feature" has hard coded paths. I am shocked that this would find its way into the documentation without first being thoroughly tested.

update:

this appears to be a MAC Only Bug. And in addition the Documentation is worded incorrectly. this "feature" only works if you are on a pc, and put a file called "default.lws" into the root of your Scenes directory. Again, I have had no reports of it working in any way, on a mac.

Paintmonkey
11-16-2005, 06:31 PM
# 960 LIGHTWAVE WON'T START

LW 8.5, OS: Mac 10.4.3/G5 2.7 quad/4GB

Here's the deal.
- Installed 8.5 from Newtek Disks
- Plugged in Dongle (registration recognized Key)
- Entered Lic Key & it took (wrote Lic Key file although icon is not TextEdit, rather from Keynote)
- Installed current Sentinel drivers from web
-copying cmdline files from each program from old host that was running 8.5 replacing the pref path with the new G5's path. No dice.

When I launch LW or Modeler the icon jumps once and quits, or doesn't launch at all because no dialogs appear.

Hub will launch, but not the apps.

Thinking this is related to the license.key file?

Thanks
------------------
"...There is no difference between good flan and bad flan"

gatz
11-16-2005, 09:08 PM
For me, everytime an app hasn't launched in 10.X it has been a permissions issue. Simply changing the permissions to read & write in the info dialog and applying this to the folder contents isn't enough. Either use terminal or select the items individually and get info.

rg

3dworks
11-17-2005, 03:00 AM
this is something that I have noticed when working with the Surface Editor panel. When you do a save all objects the list keeps closing up. I thought that I would post some pic's as it's easier to describe. I'ts a bit of a workflow grinder.

confirmed!

dblack
11-22-2005, 04:29 AM
I have been recently got an error with 8.5 in modeller.
While creating polys from points on an existing object lightwave comes up with a new window (Modeller.out) containing:

assertion (point.size() > 0) failed in "poly.cpp", line 160.

It seems to be in some sort of coding mode called sioux, but wont let me quit it or do anything in it. Any one got any help.

In the end i just end up quitting lightwave and re-opening it. Not an ideal solution and annoying.

JeffRutan
11-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Apparently I said something someone didn't like in my previous posts because those posts and the one very useful reply to them got deleted.

I will try again since I think the information will be important to others:

I received LightWave for the first time yesterday.
I installed it on both my Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5 and my new 17" PowerBook.
I carefully followed all the instructions on the printed sheet that came with the package (including inserting the dongle and installing the Eve3 dongle driver first).
The install program for LightWave finished without any indication of trouble, but it did not go through the registration process as indicated it should on the installation instructions sheet.
None of the programs LightWave, Modeler, or Register would run at all after the installation – they just bounced once and stopped. Only the Hub would run.
I installed everything on my PC and everything worked fine, but I want to work primarily on my Macs.
A user here suggested moving the Eve3.framework folder from /Library/Frameworks to /System/Library/Frameworks.
That change allowed me to run the Registration program and get the key from the website to make the License.key file. However, the LightWave and Modeler programs still would not run.
This morning I called customer support and they passed me to technical support.
From those conversations I found out that the Eve3.framework folder needs to be in BOTH places (one complete copy in each). It needs to be in /System/Library/Frameworks where the Registration program expects to find it, and it needs to be in /Library/Frameworks where LightWave and Modeler expect to find it.
This fixed the problem and I can now run everything from either of my Macs (with the dongle inserted of course).

Users who have a previous version of LightWave installed would not have this problem since the install process for Eve3.framework would just add a new copy in a different place – leaving an older but functional version in the opposite directory. It is also possible that the latest version on Mac OS X 10.4.3 handles things slightly different than older releases.

I hope this helps someone and saves them the 6 hours of frustration I spent trying to figure it out.

Chuck
11-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Hi, Jeff!

Your post was not deleted - it seemed to be a support issue (a problem resolvable via technical support and troubleshooting) rather than a Bug Report (a programmer has to fix it in a future release), so your message and the replies were separated onto their own thread, where I also added the recommendation that you contact Technical Support for assistance with the issue.

Here's the link to the new thread: Install Problems with new 8.5 on Mac (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=43359)

All that noted, now that it's resolved, leaving a summary here is proper as while this can be corrected by the user in those situations where it has occurred, it would seem reasonable that something needs to change in the software in the future so that the redundancy is not needed - so it is both a support issue and a bug report.

I've added your information about the resolution to the new thread as well.

Thanks for posting and our apologies for the frustration. We'll see that the development team is made aware of the issue.

JeffRutan
12-01-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks Chuck!

pantone
12-02-2005, 07:19 AM
I'm unable to get the bend tool to work predictably with the falloff option. It will only bend so much before jumping to a random rotation value and distoting the mesh. Int he pics bellow:

A. Shows the bend at 19.02 degrees starting to work along the falloff as expected.

B. Shows what happens when I move the mouse just a fraction further. The angle value in the bend box jumped from 19.02 degrees to 2 degrees.

C. Shows that the falloff is working predictably with the rotate tool.

kretschi
12-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Mostly when i change the procedural texture of an object (any channel) - and Fprime is open - Lightwave crashes!
I have Lightwave 8.5 (build 830) and Fprime 2.10 on a Mac G5 2,7 dual.

Best regards...

eblu
12-08-2005, 09:59 AM
while using a textured Opengl view in LW, if you add more than 3 lights... Lightwave basically stops redrawing at all. It may be running "slow" but it is so slow that it may as well Not be working at all.

I'm sure theres some sort of workaround, but it is definitely some sort of bug.

frostywd
12-08-2005, 10:59 PM
This seems like eblu's problem but I'll be more specific - when I add a third spotlight and the view is set on Textured Shaded Solid the CPU starts chiping and Layout chunks along REAL bad. Delete that third light and everything is fine.

Any ideas?

I have a Duel 2.7/10.4.3/and 3.5 GB of Ram.

Thanks

eblu
12-09-2005, 04:44 PM
lightwave 8.5
mac os 10.4.3
g5 dual 2 Ghz.
LW Layout build 830

Bug: using an image sequence as a texture map I noticed that when you offset it in time... it renders Black before that time.

so, let me get this straight... I have a 10 frame image sequence. I want it to stay still for 300 frames, and then animate on the surface of my object, and then hold the last frame for 300 more frames.

I can set the end behavior to "hold last frame", but there ARE NO SETTINGS for what happens in the beginning... even though I have the option to Offset the time? As ridiculous as it seems, I have to render those 300 frames in the beginning, because offsetting the time turns my object BLACK. but I don't have to render the trailing 300 frames, that works as expected.

Would somebody please design and test these things before bolting them on to lightwave?

Deep Image
12-12-2005, 04:34 PM
EPSF Exporter broken LW8.5 :cursin: :cursin: :cursin:

Hi there NewTekkies,

The plugin "Export Encapsulated PostScript" is not working as it should. When I export view "Texture UV" it can't be opened by Illustrator or Photoshop CS1.If I use view "All of the above" it producess a file that can be opened???????????

gerry_g
12-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Half true, small UV Maps export A.O.K. but big ones bomb every time, annoying.....!!

Chuck
12-13-2005, 11:09 AM
lightwave 8.5
mac os 10.4.3
g5 dual 2 Ghz.
LW Layout build 830

Bug: using an image sequence as a texture map I noticed that when you offset it in time... it renders Black before that time.

so, let me get this straight... I have a 10 frame image sequence. I want it to stay still for 300 frames, and then animate on the surface of my object, and then hold the last frame for 300 more frames.

I can set the end behavior to "hold last frame", but there ARE NO SETTINGS for what happens in the beginning... even though I have the option to Offset the time? As ridiculous as it seems, I have to render those 300 frames in the beginning, because offsetting the time turns my object BLACK. but I don't have to render the trailing 300 frames, that works as expected.

Would somebody please design and test these things before bolting them on to lightwave?

Just to be sure I understand you - you have a ten frame sequence, want the first frame to render for 300 frames, then the rest of the frames up through ten, and the last holds again? You are seeing the answer in the behavior of the final frame; LightWave has always allowed user control of frame sequence holds based on the numbering of the sequence. This lets you accomplish what you describe by simply numbering the first frame 000, the next frame 301, then 302, etc up to 309 (if you render from frame 001; if instead you render from 000 then make the next frame 300, then 301, etc.). You won't need to use a time offset at all.

No doubt the programmer who wrote the time offset routine figured that when you asked for an offset you meant you wanted an offset, no kidding around or funny stuff up front. So, adding a start behavior other than "Don't start till Frame x" would be a feature request (and a very reasonable one), which I have forwarded to the team.

Johnny
12-14-2005, 05:24 PM
just gave this feature a twirl on my rig tonight..my card is an ATI Radeo 9200, so don't know if this disqualifies me from using the feature properly..

those surfs which it gets close are only close because of a similar color (ie, pink draws as bright pink)

Other surfs have a wild electric green gradient on them. In fact, "Shaded Solid" is more accurate than GLSL HW shading.

J

sparks401
12-15-2005, 09:40 PM
I recently upgraded from LW 8.3 to 8.5 on my G5 dual-processor Mac (OS 10.3.9). I find that with an already-created scene, I can move cameras and lights, but when I try to render, the cameras and lights go back to the original positions that I had saved before upgrading to 8.5. I try saving the scene with the new parameters, but no good. When I build an entirely new scene with new camera and lighting positions, it's the same thing...the cameras and lights go back to their default positions. What is going on?

Parks

gerry_g
12-16-2005, 03:45 AM
I recently upgraded from LW 8.3 to 8.5 on my G5 dual-processor Mac (OS 10.3.9). I find that with an already-created scene, I can move cameras and lights, but when I try to render, the cameras and lights go back to the original positions that I had saved before upgrading to 8.5. I try saving the scene with the new parameters, but no good. When I build an entirely new scene with new camera and lighting positions, it's the same thing...the cameras and lights go back to their default positions. What is going on?

Parks

Most likely the new install tuned auto key off (mid centre bottom of screen} I'd be very surprised if tuning it back on again didn't cure it

sparks401
12-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Most likely the new install tuned auto key off (mid centre bottom of screen} I'd be very surprised if tuning it back on again didn't cure it

That did work, thank you. I use Lightwave to model objects and only use Layout to produce single-frame renders of those objects. I am not familiar with the animation controls, so this fix would not have been obvious to me. I am getting to the point, though, where I do need to learn the animation controls in order to produce simple animations.

Thanks, Parks

eblu
01-04-2006, 03:27 PM
LW 8.5
os 10.4.x (and counting)
modeler Build 699

Modeler Bug.

Super Shift is Broke.
instead of doing what it used to do... a modified and welcome version of smooth shift...
you get a message:
Custom operation failed.
Cannot load external plug-in file <drive:Applications:LightWave [8]:plugins:model:modelertools.p>.

in a little window. I tried to reload plugins, I tried to do the whole start from scratch with plugins deal, I made sure my path was correct, and in the end I realized that Other functions that are In that Plugin File Work Just Fine.

so LightWave has No trouble finding that Plugin File, and Super Shift Is Broke.

jeremyhardin
01-04-2006, 03:33 PM
supershift has been replaced my multishift.

after you reload the plugins, you have to update the interface to reflect this.

eblu
01-05-2006, 07:12 AM
supershift has been replaced my multishift.

after you reload the plugins, you have to update the interface to reflect this.

so Not only is the function broken, but now you're telling me that Newtek has failed to update the menus, to reflect a Tool change? I can feel a rant coming on.... where was that Newtek phone number again?

jeremyhardin
01-05-2006, 08:17 AM
uh, whatever dude. if you need to rant, go ahead and do what you need to do i guess.

as far as them not updating the menus, they respected that the user might have certain custom setups and opted not to destroy those with a new install.

if you want the interface updated automatically, just do Edit > Edit Menu Layout > Presets > Default.

martinsmeaton
01-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Couldn't find Multishift. Went to Edit menu layout. Then found it in modeling tools. Moved it to Multiply.
When tried, it doesn't work saying that it failed to load.??????

jeremyhardin
01-06-2006, 07:22 PM
and did you add all your plugins first? scan directory?

gioclone
01-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Hmmmm, normally I am not one to complain being that I do software development and know possible issues that can araise in a users computer.

I installed 8.5 as an update to my 8.3 installation. Soon enough, I started to create a scene and move between modeler and layout without a hitch when BOom! Layout crashed!

:hey: I mean, dont take me wrong,but I move to a mac to avoid my blue screen blues and I get a mature application like lightwave to crash? :thumbsup:

Does anyone else have a crash problem on Tiger?

By the way, I run Motion, Finalcut Pro, Photoshop CS2, Macromedia stuff, and even M$ stuff with absolutly no issues. 1.8 DP, 5 Gigs of Ram, 10.43 OSX.

matd
01-18-2006, 02:44 AM
I get crashes on an hourly basis with LW - always have done on Mac. I'm running 8.5 on OSX 10.4.3 (in middle of major project with a deadline, so waiting until it's over before installing 10.4.4) on a DP 2GHz G5 with 2.5G RAM and it still crashes. The main thing that unhinges it is when I open the Scene Editor - I have to make sure I save everytime I want to look at my Dope Sheet!

Anyway, that's not my issue, I was just sympathising. The bug I've found is with Network Rendering. If I set up a scene with an arbitrary frame range, screamernet will render EVERY frame between the lowest and highest numbered frame. As I found out when I set up a scene to render frames 98, 101, 120-123 and 300, and came in to find the computers busily rendering every frame bewteen 98 and 300! I wasn't too happy!

Incidentally anyone else found that net rendering is horribly unstable on Mac? If I set up 10 Macs to render, in many cases by the morning only 3 will be running.

Blackquill
01-23-2006, 03:15 AM
Warning up front - I've used LW for all of 3 hours today..... so please bear with me..

001 Menu Bug
LW8.5 : OSX 10.4.4 : iMac 2 GHz G5 : 2GB SDRAM
.................................................. ..........................
In stepping through a manual found Modeller/File/Export doesn't work.
Same seems to be true of Import and also Sections.

In checking the Edit Keyboard shortcuts also found that there is no Command listed for these 3 nor is there anthing assigned in the key-Command window
All the other items under File seem to work okay.

In the Layout the Export Scene function works okay, but again the Import does nothing....

Would be grateful for any help

I am also curious to know the difference in the Keyboard shortcuts window between Search and Find - isn't one redundant??

Paul

wilgory
01-25-2006, 10:56 PM
On the mac, 8.5 and Tiger 10.4.4 I have encountered a pesky bug when using the Edit> Edit Menu Layout. Click on a group and drag it to a new location, press escape (after I realized it was the wrong group) and Layout crashes. Tried multiple times, the second time I pressed escape twice and it closed the Edit Menu Layout Window and then crashed.
Please fix this and make it possible to have multiple button instances and the ability to edit multiple buttons at once, by shift selecting the buttons like in the Operating Sytem. Thanks

wilgory
01-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Hi,

Ante
Manually add the .lws and the .lwo when saving files and you will not have scene load errors and the PCs will recognize the file in Lightwave's Open/Close/Save dialogs.

pantone
01-28-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm unable to create custom Menus in modeler. After getting LWCAD I decided to create some custome menus for it.

I'm trynig to drag menu items into groups. When I do I can get the first item into the group, but thereafter I can't drad additional items under the same group.

I've made a little QT movie of the problem in action and attached it in a zip archive.

gerry_g
01-29-2006, 06:43 AM
I'm trynig to drag menu items into groups. When I do I can get the first item into the group, but thereafter I can't drad additional items under the same group.

Does work, but its the header item in the group you need to drag it up to as this is the set you are trying to place it in, the correct action is to select the item, let the line appear , drag up to title item in the group and move your mouse out to the far left so as to get the longest line possible (not the right as you were doing), it should then drop in, it's all working fine for me – Tiger 10.4.4, LW8.5, ppcG5 Dual 2.7

pantone
01-30-2006, 06:52 AM
Thanks for that info...works like a charm.

I made the mistake of following the mannual which makes it sound like the item will stick wherever you drop it:

"Reorganizing Menus

You can reorganize entries by just dragging them in the window. Place your pointer over the entry and drag it up or down. You will see a thin line appear as you drag. This is the insert point. Releasing the mouse button will drop the entry here.

Now, if your pointer is at a position where the dropped item could be, say, a sub-item of an entry, the same level as the entry, or even the same level as the next entry, you will see the line change its length as you drag. The position of the left end of the line determines the level of the drop.

HINT : To place the group/command at a specific point in a group, make sure the group is uncollapsed before you begin dragging."

Meshbuilder
02-01-2006, 06:01 AM
When rendering "volumetric" with 4 CPUs the computer only use 50% of the power?

LightWave v. 8.5
Mac OS X 10.4.3
G5 Quad 2.5 GHz
4.5 GB RAM

I have tested the benchmark scene "Variations.lws".

8 threads: 229 s
4 threads: 175 s
2 threads: 95 s

The CPU bars goes only to 50% for all four CPUs when rendering the scene with 4 & 8 threads. But when rendering with 2 threads the CPU bar show 100% on both CPUs.

This is not the case with other scene like radiosity or raytracing..

The Quad 2.5 GHz G5 can't render volumeteric faster than the Dual 2.5 GHz G5 but it almost twice as fast in all other tests?

It would be great if this thing could be fixed in v.9 so we can use 100% of the power in or new Quad Macs when rendering volumetric.. :)

JanDeVries
02-04-2006, 06:43 AM
Posted message below earlier. never got a reply. had to work with transparency again and encountered same problem again. so i post same message again... .maybe this time someone has any thoughts on the subject... it really is frustrating whatching the spinning beach ball for minutes and minutes....

earlier post:
Had to do a small job the other day and found switching from modeler to lw very, very slow. i work with G5 with 2G ram and a Radeon9800 pro. i had just one object: a transparent 50% bottle. in 8.3 when switching from modeler to lw, lw even becomes 'not responding'. it takes minutes to let the viewports update in lw. when deselecting > display OpenGL transparency switching from modeler to lw becomes snappy again.
when using the older version 7.5 things switching works as expected and i have no need for deselecting OpenGL transparency...
What gives? Is there a difference in OPenGL between the two versions?
J

gordonbaty
02-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Sorry but I can't see where the bug report numbers got to.

LW 8.5 : OS X 10.4.4 : Powerbook G4 867MHz 1GB

When Layout reloads my mesh after an edit in Modeler it sometimes loses the deformation relative to the bones!

I'm rigging a game character in layout - using weight maps only and weight normalization off. I go into modeler and add/remove points from the weight maps, then use the hub menu to 'Synchronize with Layout'.

When I now switch to layout the model has lost it's deformation to the bones (you can see the bones move but the model does not deform).

The way I've found to get around this, so that the deformations come back, is by going through each bone and selecting, then deselecting Weight Normalization. This is a cumbersome workaround - how about a bug fix!

bethel
02-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Hi, I teach Lightwave in a high school and we have 6 users on each computer.We've been having a problem in having the plugins and preferences stick as the students log out. Its very inconsistent between machines. Some students are able to log back in with preferences and plugins fully attached, many can't. Some, when they quit the program and reopen it the plugins are gone.
I've tried putting the preferences in the users library folder, but nothing works. Any suggestions? Its interfering with work flow.

jeremyhardin
02-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Hi, I teach Lightwave in a high school and we have 6 users on each computer.We've been having a problem in having the plugins and preferences stick as the students log out. Its very inconsistent between machines. Some students are able to log back in with preferences and plugins fully attached, many can't. Some, when they quit the program and reopen it the plugins are gone.
I've tried putting the preferences in the users library folder, but nothing works. Any suggestions? Its interfering with work flow.
perhaps you could use the LW and Modeler (and Screamernet) command line to direct the preferences to a common location.

wilgory
02-18-2006, 10:37 AM

While Jeremy's advice maybe the best solution, allowing all of the students to access shared config files in the (Macintosh HD>Users>Shared Folder) I personally have not set up a machine in that manner. It could simply be that when some users go to quit Lightwave it crashes and the config are not saved properly. Perhaps try to rescan the appropriate directories for that user and then quit Lightwave and see if they are still there when reopened.
This also maybe a perfect time to utilize your free technical telephone support thru Newtek! Tell them about your problem and I am sure they will work with your school. Also the problem could stem from copying working configs from one user to another user that doesn't have permissions to view those files. Good Luck.
For Technical Support Call : 1.210.341.8444

MidnightBrewer
02-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Besides checking to make sure your cmdline file is pointing to the right location, also be sure to check your file permissions. If the person doesn't have read/write access to the file, it won't matter where it's located.

roberthurt
03-06-2006, 06:26 PM
At some point a texture channel appeared next to the Power setting for Wind (as well as the particle rate in the particle generator).

After some extensive experimenting in both 8.5 and 9.0b it seems that adding any texture to the wind at all simply reduces the power uniformly to 0.

I've tried varying the setting using gradients (which work as expected for the particle rate generation texture, confining particle creation to higher values of the texture) as well as a simple "Value" procedural, but it just kills the wind entirely. I noted a 2004 bug report for windows under general support for the same feature. Too bad; this would have been really useful to me for a current project!

shadowshifter
03-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Just at a guess, I think we might be up to #040-something :}

It's LW 8.5, OS: 10.3.9, G4 867 with 640Mb RAM

I seem to be the only person on the planet with this problem coz I haven't found it anywhere yet (either that or I'm just not looking hard enough) but scale hierarchy is making Layout die.

I have a human character with bones in it all set up and parented the way I want them etc, but no null controller things yet as I haven't got around to doing the IK stuff. I change the size of the model and then click scale hierarchy to see how that works (as it's something I'll need to be doing coz I would like to use the same rig for different characters, might save a bit of work). I get a dialogue box that asks if I want the goal objects etc to be scaled as well. It doesn't really matter what I click, Layout crashes soon afterwards.

Tried with the IK enabled and deform things turned off and on, erm, not sure what else I can do, I'm fairly new at the rigging thing. Kinda hoping it's not a bug and just something retarded on my computer that someone might have a clue how to fix coz I'm kinda stumped.

wilgory
03-25-2006, 06:52 AM
Just at a guess, I think we might be up to #040-something :}

Tried with the IK enabled and deform things turned off and on, erm, not sure what else I can do, I'm fairly new at the rigging thing. Kinda hoping it's not a bug and just something retarded on my computer that someone might have a clue how to fix coz I'm kinda stumped.

The rigging tools in LW do not always meet my standards for stability and speed. Scale hiearchy might be running into similar problems that I have discovered related to cloning objects that are already rigged and bound. I had a similar problem for a client project regarding multiple termites. The client wanted to see a large number of termites in a single shot. So I tried on both a Mac and a PC to clone to termite character with its rig and it crashed Layout everytime. My solution was to make the different poses in Modeler, which worked fine for the still image that I had to create in a short period of time. But it would have been nice to have been able to clone the character with its rig in Layout.
Perhaps you could try to recreate your problem in the LW 9 beta and the Development team might actually fix it. Good luck.

Dgraphics
03-26-2006, 02:18 AM
:help:
When apply Mirror Hierarchy on my character lw go in crash. I do that after disabled IK. Do you know Why? Is a Bug or...

Nick Hilligoss
03-29-2006, 10:13 PM
I've just migrated from a PC and had 8.5 running on a Mac G5 quad for a week. I get a few crashes - er, "LW quit unexpectedly" from doing very minor things, but most often just from hitting the F9 key for a test render. Since I want to see my changes to scene or object BEFORE I save those changes, I usually haven't saved yet.
Apart from that, it was working fine, until today - now every test render, in every scene that previously worked fine, comes up with a checkerboard pattern over the top. It's like the pattern in Photoshop when there's nothing in the background layer.
What's changed? I've installed Mirage 1.5.
So I closed LW, removed the Mirage dongle, opened it and rendered the same scene - it was coming along ok in the render status window, but instead of displaying the finished frame, LW crashed, this time without a message popping up. I re-opened, tried again, and the frame rendered ok. No checkerboard.
So there seems to be some kind of issue with Mirage installed on the same computer.
When I first got Mirage installed, I opened a sequence rendered in LW as a QT .mov file, and it came up with all the transparencies of the different objects intact, but the deep blue background colour in the LW scene was missing. I was seeing through to the white Mirage layer underneath. When I dumped a similar blue colour into the bottom layer, the frames looked more or less as they should. Those were frames rendered and saved before the Mirage installation. This may be a bug, or simply what happens if the render is in a format that preserves alpha channels - I didn't intend to do it, but maybe that's inherent in the QuickTime (.mov) option for saving animation?
A jpg sequence looked the way it should, but Final Cut prefers QT.

It's only renders done since the Mirage installation that have this checkerboard pattern superimposed over the whole image. And it only seems to happen if the Mirage dongle is in when LW is opened.
But the frequent LW crashes have been happening since the new computer was delivered. LW8.3 on the PC is not as stable as good old 5.6, but it's a lot better than this.

casadb
04-04-2006, 05:16 PM

# 001

LW 8.5, OS: 10.4.5, G5 1.8, 2GB, Radeon 9800 256MB

I'm a newbie going through LW Essentials tutorials and when I go to File->Load Object-> I can't see any .lwo files on my system, not even the .lwo files that I've created on this system.

I'm sure this is just something I'm overlooking, any help would be appreciated...

lohic
04-04-2006, 05:23 PM
For casadb, i've always added extension manually on lightwave's files for osX. Just add .lwo, .lws to your files when you save them. If anyone have another solution, it would be cool !!!

casadb
04-04-2006, 05:27 PM
For casadb, i've always added extension manually on lightwave's files for osX. Just add .lwo, .lws to your files when you save them. If anyone have another solution, it would be cool !!!

Thanks for the quick response lohic, but I've been adding the .lwo extension and LW still doesn't see the files... Any other ideas.

casadb
04-05-2006, 11:59 AM

# 001

LW 8.5, OS: 10.4.5, G5 1.8, 2GB, Radeon 9800 256MB

I'm a newbie going through LW Essentials tutorials and when I go to File->Load Object-> I can't see any .lwo files on my system, not even the .lwo files that I've created on this system.

I'm sure this is just something I'm overlooking, any help would be appreciated...

For anyone else having this problem... I called Tech Support and the fix is go to Users>Your_User>Library>Preferences and delete Lightwave Modeler 8 Prefs and Lightwave Extension 8 Prefs. You then need to relaunch Modeler, reload all of your Plug-ins through Edit Plug-ins>scan directory. Once that is complete you need to go to File>Edit Menu Layout. The Configure Menus window will come up and you need to select "7.0 style" or "6.0 style" under the Presets dropdown in the upper right corner, then go back into the same Presets menu and select "Default", then hit Done. This last sequence should be done whenever you load new Plugins, according to the tech it resets the menu to see the new plugins that have been loaded.

I apologize if this is common knowledge. but I couldn't find anything on any of the forums to help me on this, so hopefully this can help someone else out.

retlawpicasso
05-19-2006, 08:55 AM
On my OSX using LW 8.5 whenever I make a preview it will create it just fine. But once I'm finished watching and hit "End Preview" LW quits unexpectedly.
I've spoken with Newtek about this and their solution was to download Beta 9 and see if it still crashes; which it didn't. But now my trial version of 9 has ran out and I'm back to using the version 8.5. Newtek knows about this bug and obviously have fixed it in 9.

I've asked them if they will be creating a patch but they didn't know at the time. I would expect them to do this. I hope they don't expect me to pay for the soon to be released version 9 upgrade just so I can preview my animations without a crash.

All I want is 8.5 to work properly. At this time I don't need the "new" 9 features.

Scott C. Zupek
06-19-2006, 10:26 AM
when i save a scene(1 frame) w/ images for textures, the images dont appear to be on the texture when i reload. Since I am using @ work and @ home, i have my content directory on my IDisk(.mac internet drive)..... is this a known problem? is there a work around without keeping everything stored offline? Thanks

lightwave 8.5

daforum
07-20-2006, 08:48 AM
Help. does anyone else have the problem of LW 8.5 Layout crashing when clicking "end preview". Is this a bug? I have contacted the tech department at Newtek Europe and got no reply??

I'm using Mac OSX 10.4.5 on a MacBook Pro (Intel) with 2 gigs of ram. Does this setup contribute to the crash?

clinthawk
08-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Help. does anyone else have the problem of LW 8.5 Layout crashing when clicking "end preview". Is this a bug? I have contacted the tech department at Newtek Europe and got no reply??

I'm using Mac OSX 10.4.5 on a MacBook Pro (Intel) with 2 gigs of ram. Does this setup contribute to the crash?

Encountering exact same thing on a new install on a dual G4 machine. Admin: any ideas? thanks,
clint

Chilton
08-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Hi,

This sounds vaguely familiar. Are you both using v 8.5?

-Chilton

clinthawk
08-08-2006, 11:49 AM
yep, just got in 8.5... was hoping i'd get 9 in, but i guess packaged versions arent shipping yet
clinthawk

clinthawk
08-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Chilton,
ok... the suspense is killing me... sounded like you had heard of this non-isolated problem before... share with the rest of us...
Thanks,
clinthawk

Chilton
08-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Hi Clint,

I'm sorry for the delay.

I'm at WWDC right now, and aside from a few seconds I grab here and there to post in the forums, I'm trying to get as much done here as possible. I didn't have time to do any further research on this before I left.

What this reminds me of though is a bug we fixed in 9. Only that I didn't fix it myself, and can't remember exactly who did. I've posted an email to our dev team though, and if I get some time later today I'll check my email again and report back if there's an answer.

-Chilton

clinthawk
08-10-2006, 12:39 PM
No hurry, I've got about 8 more inches of manual to work through before it's critical...
Many thanks for looking into this for us, hope you're enjoying WWDC, also, will we receive 9 when it's released as we just made our initial LW8.5 purchase?
Thanks,

clint

Chilton
08-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Hi Clint,

WWDC was unreal.

But regarding your bug, the team is fairly confident this was fixed for 8.5.1. Is that the version you're using?

-Chilton

eidetiken
08-13-2006, 10:35 AM
What's a good book to get in order to learn C programming? I'd like to learn how to write plugins... but I'm on a IntelMac, so what should I be learning?

Randall

Chilton
08-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi Randall,

What's a good book to get in order to learn C programming? I'd like to learn how to write plugins... but I'm on a IntelMac, so what should I be learning?

Randall

The C Programming Language by K&R is the way to go. If you find that too dry, just go look online. There are probably more 'Intro to C' tutorials than any other language. C and PHP share a number of syntactical similarities, so depending on how well you know PHP, you should be fine.

If you start now, you should be able to follow along pretty well when the new Software Development Kit (SDK) for LightWave Plug-Ins ships.

-Chilton

eidetiken
08-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks Chilton

Didn't know where to start this thread. I'll order the K&R book from Amazon. I've tried a few online tutorials but don't know where to start. They all say, "Get a compiler and type this in..." but I don't know where or how I'm supposed to be typing it. Tried just typing the tuts in terminal but always get an error message. Are there Mac OS X intel specific things? Like, should I be learning X-Code or terminal stuff? I figure if I start learning C now, I might be comfortable with it enough to do something with Lightwave, a few months after the UB comes out. I read on a few threads where you said we would be writing plugins with X-Code, know of any good X-Code books?

I've written a few web sites in php-mysql, (shopping carts, forums, galleries and such) I'm just wondering if writing plugins is similar to using mysql statments with php, only reversed. Swap PHP for C and mysql with Lightwave kind of thing. If that makes sense. Would be nice to finally learn a real computer programming language.

Randall

sepiapro
08-17-2006, 12:40 PM
But regarding your bug, the team is fairly confident this was fixed for 8.5.1. Is that the version you're using?

We had to revert to 8.3 a long time ago because of this 8.5 problem. I'd like to try 8.5.1 but can't find it anywhere. Has the final version been released yet? Thanks.

Stjepanovic
08-26-2006, 08:42 PM
:lwicon: After using both LW 9.0 and LW 8.5 I am finding 9.0 on OS X.3.9 much more stable. However, I have heard that Layout preforms much better in lw8.5 than compared to results in LW 9.0.0. LW 8.5 seems to be very buggy (mac; OS X) especially when using free plug-ins. One thing I do not comprehend and this should be investigated: when I create scene with 12*12 replication of the basic moudular housing unit not more than (60 different polygons) system starts choking up and eventually crashes. But if I transfer this to the scene in the Layout no problem. It seems theat orbiting paning and other functions are working smoothly. Why this is not the case in the modeller escapes me. There is definately a problem with the memory management or something. Also if on the compicated model I start 'drilling' (using splines or polylines) modeller crashes. Any clues?

Scazzino
08-26-2006, 08:46 PM
We had to revert to 8.3 a long time ago because of this 8.5 problem. I'd like to try 8.5.1 but can't find it anywhere. Has the final version been released yet? Thanks.

As far as I know there was no 8.5.1, just 8.5 then 9.0... unless I missed it somehow... ;)

Chilton
08-27-2006, 07:51 AM
My bad. From what I can tell, 8.5.1 was rolled into 9.0.

-Chilton

eblu
09-01-2006, 08:08 AM
this is a LW 9 bug.
band saw pro. WILL SOMEBODY FIX IT? PLEASE?
put one division in, then switch to add, and click to the right of the first one. switch to edit, and try dragging it... it doesn't move.
try dragging on the little arrow control next to its value... THAT doesn't move.
try typing in a number... Lightwave interprets what you type as some sort of seed for a number that it generates all by itself! Who did this? why was it like this in 8, and why has it remained in Version 9? This is an obvious and critical bug, rendering Band saw pro almost worthless.

yes. I am angry. I feel very justified, and yes, entitled. I PAID for an upgrade to 9, I don't see why this bug (or any other bug), which I REPORTED a very long time ago, is not fixed. This is how my relationship with newtek works: Promise me professional tools, i pay for them, and then Newtek delivers, if I have a problem with the tools, Newtek fixes them. I don't see any place there for deciding to ignore bugs.

Chilton
09-01-2006, 08:43 AM
It will be fixed in the next version.

rakker16mm
09-15-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm new to light wave so this may not even be a bug. :help:

I created a venturi shape using the pen tool and lathe. I pressed tab to smoothe it and it looked great. Then I added it to my model and strangely it's suface was vissible only from the inside. I saved my work, rebooted my trusty Mac and opend the object in modeler. Looked great... tried to add it to the other model and every turns inside out. I can still see the shape and every thing but I am looking at the inside no matter which way I turn the object. :cursin:

I'm gladd they don't make people this way :hey:

ShawnStovall
09-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Press "f" in Modeler to flip the polygons. If this doesn't work, I don't know what's wrong.

rakker16mm
09-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Press "f" in Modeler to flip the polygons. If this doesn't work, I don't know what's wrong.

Thanks, That seems to take care of it.

jakef23
01-18-2007, 03:00 AM
I've found what may be two bugs in LW 9:

1. The resolution multiplier on the Render Globals page seems to do nothing. In 8.5 when a render finished the image was displayed in Image Viewer at the chosen multiple. This is not working in 9. At least not for me. When I choose a multiple, smaller or larger, the numbers change in the height and width fields but the image is rendered at 100% of the preset. Anyone else experience this?

2. The Save RGB option on the Output tab of the Global Renders page does not save my renders. I check the box, navigate to where I want to save it, name it, click ok. Render. No file saved. I have to save my renders through the Image Viewer. In response to another thread, I did pull out my dongle today to check to see if it says "Duo" on it. It does. I put it back in the USB port but have not shut down and re-booted the program since. Maybe that has something to do with? I'll give it a try... tried re-booting. Does nothing to change the situation.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Phil
01-18-2007, 03:21 AM
1) works for me here on a MacBook Pro
2) hasn't been tried here, largely because Rosetta turns LW into a slug on intel Macs. Waiting anxiously for the UB version that will bring happiness.

jakef23
01-18-2007, 10:13 PM
After investigating further I find that I can ONLY render images at 640 x 480. The Resolution selection button on the Render Globals page has no effect, regardless of the setting I use. The rendered image shows up in Image Viewer at 640 x 480.

Also, the Save RGB definitely does not save a file.

These things are very easy and straight forward in 8.5. Is there something I'm missing?

Do I need to throw out the preference file, or? Is there another page somewhere I need to tweek?

Thanks!

jakef23
01-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Ok. Figured out the Multiplier problem. The global settings only affect the outcome if the Use Global button is checked on the Camera Properties page.

The Print Assitant only affects the numbers on the Camera Properties page. Which leads to another strange thing. The numbers entered in the Print Assitant requester are flipped on the Camera Properties page. Meaning the height and width entered in the Print Assitant become width and height on the CP page.

Example:
If I enter 720 width x 576 height in Print Assitant and press OK, the width becomes 576 and the height becomes 720 on CP page. I went back to LW 8.5 to check and it suffers from the same "bug". Is this something that has been known/discussed for a long time?

Still cannot save using SAVE RGB. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

rakker16mm
02-13-2007, 07:15 PM
This is not strictly a Lightwave or Mac bug, but I don't know where else to post it. So it goes. I'm having a problem with Eki's CityGen plug-in. I originally got it to run exactly one and then it's been crashing ever since.

Any suggestions will greatly appreciated :)

I not sitting by my machine at the moment but to the best of my recollection I'm running LW 8.5 on Dual G5 2 MHZ with 7 gigs of RAM OS 10.4.8.

Sarford
02-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Still cannot save using SAVE RGB. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The automatic save function only works with F10, not with F9. If you wanna automaticly save ony one frame you have to set your frame range from 1 to 1 (for instance, could also be 235 to 235, or 45678 to 45678 etc) and specify your save location, file type and check the save RGB box ofcourse :).

jakef23
02-14-2007, 03:52 PM
The automatic save function only works with F10, not with F9. If you wanna automaticly save ony one frame you have to set your frame range from 1 to 1 (for instance, could also be 235 to 235, or 45678 to 45678 etc) and specify your save location, file type and check the save RGB box ofcourse :).

Sarford, I stumbled across this the other day but it's great to get the confirmation. Almost everything is now working properly.

Thanks!