PDA

View Full Version : Do we need to buy the 64-bit CD?

mnemonicimage
10-10-2005, 11:56 AM
I've installed 8.5 and it comes up on my 64bit machine with win 32. I read further in the install instructions and it says we need to purchase the 8.5 64bit CD in order to get the 64bit version. Is this correct? Or did I miss an install option there.

Chuck
10-10-2005, 12:00 PM
The 64-bit edition requires a complete installation, as all executable files are involved. We post updates for download, but not complete installations. LightWave 64 is available to registered LightWave [8] owners on the new LightWave v8.5 install CD, $29.95 plus shipping and handling.

mnemonicimage
10-10-2005, 12:11 PM
With shipping to CO it comes to $40 for everyones info and ships in 1-2 weeks - no overnight.

I guess I do not have to let you know what I think of that!

Thanks for getting it out anyways.

Radamanthys
10-10-2005, 12:13 PM
is there a way to buy that version in europe ? i dont find any link about that

BeeVee
10-10-2005, 12:18 PM
We'll be posting details about the 64-bit Windows version on our site tomorrow.

B

mnemonicimage
10-10-2005, 12:25 PM
On the new post about 64 bit tomorrow will it say that you can download it? Cause I just ordered it. Will we be able to download it in the near future?

DogBoy
10-11-2005, 07:02 AM
Any news on this? I can't find anything on NT-Europe. My 64bit system is itching to go for LW64 :hey:

digital verve
10-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Rather than paying for and waiting for the 64bit version of LW on CD to arrive. It would be nice if we could download via Bittorrent. :)

gjjackson
10-11-2005, 07:27 AM
I'm not sure torrents will work with the secure server that NT has set up.

DogBoy
10-11-2005, 02:35 PM
I can't see anything on Euro-Newteks' site, did they post details today?
my wallet says it's OK to give newtek my money again, seeing as it's for research purposes :D

nthused
10-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Chuck...

A little off-topic. I recently upgraded (paid for the upgrade) to LW9. Will the 64-bit version be shipped with the upgrade or will I have to order it like we're doing here?

Thanks.

BTW, Lovin this 8.5 update.

Chuck
10-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Chuck...

A little off-topic. I recently upgraded (paid for the upgrade) to LW9. Will the 64-bit version be shipped with the upgrade or will I have to order it like we're doing here?

Thanks.

BTW, Lovin this 8.5 update.

The 64-bit version will be included in the 9.0 Install Set. You will not have to order it separately! :)

roboanarchy
10-11-2005, 03:59 PM
You know, it's not just paying the extra 40$ for the cd that's hurting me, It's the fact that I bought a 64 bit system to run this update and now I have to wait until I can pay which could be a very long time considering I just moved to new city and haven't found employment yet. I need to be able to download 64 Bit version, I was completely counting on it. Not to mention I bought lightwave 8.3 like 5 days before they dropped the stinking price and announced 8.5 and anyone buying that would get 9.0 free. Salty.

I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.
I couldn't imagine not having lightwave. Thanks for a truly great program.

nthused
10-11-2005, 04:02 PM
The 64-bit version will be included in the 9.0 Install Set. You will not have to order it separately! :)

WooHoo! Can't wait...

CAClark
10-11-2005, 04:43 PM

Well that just untwisted my panties :D

Cheers!

mattclary
10-11-2005, 06:55 PM
You know, it's not just paying the extra 40$ for the cd that's hurting me, It's the fact that I bought a 64 bit system to run this update and now I have to wait until I can pay which could be a very long time considering I just moved to new city and haven't found employment yet. I need to be able to download 64 Bit version, I was completely counting on it. Not to mention I bought lightwave 8.3 like 5 days before they dropped the stinking price and announced 8.5 and anyone buying that would get 9.0 free. Salty.

I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.
I couldn't imagine not having lightwave. Thanks for a truly great program.

No job, but you have the broadband connection to download something really big? Sounds like you can afford the CD to me, you would just rather complain.

hunter
10-11-2005, 07:21 PM
He was promised something and they failed to deliver. The onus is on them. I wish people would quit bashing others for only for asking what they were promised.
:cursin:

stefostef
10-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Well that's a good question because i made the update from 7.5 to 8.3 in the end of june 2005 and i miss for a month the free update to 9.0 so i won't update again to 9.0 because total cost of two consecutves updates (not including the first licence) exceed the price i have to pay for a new license.

So concerning 64 bits support i have to pay for changing the parrallel dongle to have an usb dongle wich i agree, but i don't want to pay twice only for the 64 bit version for wich i made the upgrade.

lardbros
10-12-2005, 12:18 PM
So concerning 64 bits support i have to pay for changing the parrallel dongle to have an usb dongle wich i agree, but i don't want to pay twice only for the 64 bit version for wich i made the upgrade.

There are some resellers in the UK that are offering an exchange for parallel dongles and giving you USB ones for free when you upgrade to LW9, i'm sure there would be some doing the same in France too, considering that's where Newtek is based.

stefostef
10-12-2005, 03:55 PM
There are some resellers in the UK that are offering an exchange for parallel dongles and giving you USB ones for free when you upgrade to LW9, i'm sure there would be some doing the same in France too, considering that's where Newtek is based.

Well i have already purchase an upgrade from 7.5 to 8.3 the 29th of June 2005 and receive it near 3rd of july so before 1st august 2005, so you understand easilly that i won't upgrade again for twice the price in a 3 month lap time. If i had knew i'll have made it a month later for about the same price i will have had both usb dongle and access to 9.0.

i don't care to pay 100$ (taxe plus shippment for both dongle send and return)for that dongle but i want to have the 64 bit edition for free because i decided to upgrade after reading this http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/04-25-05a.html

Pricing and Availability
The 64-bit version of LightWave 3D is not currently available for commercial sale but will be free for LightWaveR [8] registered owners.

The reseller is directly Newtek Europe in France and i didn't see any note about free usb dongle at this time (june) and the free exchange that you mention is only available for and upgrade to Lw 9.0 so only if you made it post the date of 1st august 2005 ; so end the circle.

Chuck
10-12-2005, 04:27 PM
When we made the decision to make the 64-bit version available on CD, it really seemed to us like the better way to go. Apparently, lots of folks would really prefer to have a download, so we gave it another thought...and we'll have a version for you to download shortly! The download should be ready in the next 24 to 48 hours, and we'll let you know officially that it's ready here in this forum. You'll be able to download LightWave 64 following the standard download procedure from NewTek or the partner site where you are registered.

For anyone who has already placed an order for the 8.5 Program CD Convenience Upgrade through our office in San Antonio, one of our friendly customer service reps will contact you to confirm your order and determine if you want us to proceed with processing or initiate a credit to your account.

nthused
10-12-2005, 04:37 PM
I love NewTek...you guys are great. I still want my CD, but thanks for the wonderful customer service...for listening for being willing to change. Not many companies out there that still do that.

tektonik
10-12-2005, 04:39 PM
great decision

it will save everyone time and money

a+

lardbros
10-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Just as i said in a different thread... Chuck and the team are bloody great. Look at that for efficiency!!! I'm lost for words.

roboanarchy
10-13-2005, 10:43 AM
No job, but you have the broadband connection to download something really big? Sounds like you can afford the CD to me, you would just rather complain.

Sounds to me like you want to be Sherlock Holmes in your mind.
It's called my wife and her credit card have paid for these things because I need them to get work uploaded to my site, I am personally BROKE.

[Character comment removed by the moderators. But the point that was being made that maybe folks should cut each other some slack on their views and not try to second guess why someone else has a different view of the matter should be well taken.]

Radamanthys
10-13-2005, 10:57 AM
great, this mean i'll be able to download lw64 jsut after windows 64 is isntalled (i'm doing this tonight and tommorow) :D