PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Releases LightWave 8.5 and LightWave 64

Kurtis
10-10-2005, 11:28 AM
NewTek Releases Fifth Free Feature Update for LightWave 3D® OpenGL 2.0 Hardware Support, Multishift(TM) tool with Editable History, and Full Support for Windows XP Pro x64 Among Improvements in Release 8.5

NewTek is pleased to announce the release of the fifth free update and the 64-bit port for Emmy® award-winning LightWave 3D®. Version 8.5 offers hardware support of OpenGL 2.0, the new Multishift(TM) tool with editable history, Photoshop-style texture blending modes, improved dynamics, and easier integration of third-party file formats. The 64-bit port of LightWave 3D for Windows XP Pro x64 OS, is also being made available as part of the release of the version 8.5 update. LightWave®'s 64-bit version leverages the increased memory available with 64-bit systems plus the power of the new processors and faster RAM access to provide digital artists with a streamlined workflow that allows them greater flexibility and creative freedom. LightWave version 8.5 update is now available free to registered owners of LightWave [8].

For the complete text of the press release visit:
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/10-10-05a.html

For more information or to purchase, visit:
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/index.php

Alliante
10-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Installed without a hitch at home, thanks guys*!

Now I've got to get home so I can try it out over RDP without running in Discovery Mode (Installer found my token, but Lightwave & modeler don't when I'm connected via RDP, not a new issue, nor a complaint).

Again,
Thanks for all the hard work you (Newtek) do!

Jeff

* And ladies!

DragonFist
10-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Aye, the first time a lightwave update install didn't insist on assigning all my .cfg and content defaults to my VT4 LW seat. Almost done getting all my menus back to what they were. Much easier this time.

Zach
10-10-2005, 12:31 PM
How do you enable openGL 2?

Bigboy
10-10-2005, 12:40 PM
press "d" in layout....Only works in Layout, or so it seems - which sucks a bit.

It's also dog slow, since its a pixel shader, the closer you get the slower it gets. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Newtek need to get some guys that write graphics engines for a living. I didnt even do anything fancy. Make a cube, add a turbulance shader. Its a great idea guys... but I would have left it out until you had it working right.

But it was a great idea to give it an on/off switch!

Actually... the whole thing feels a bit more sluggish to me.....

Its not even as though Im running it on a slow card either. NVidia 6800 GT.

Liber777
10-10-2005, 01:00 PM
...NVidia 6800 GT.

Just as a matter of curiosity, is the "disappearing grid" issue that many of us had with the 6800 GT gone in 8.5?

Thanks...
Stivan

Intuition
10-10-2005, 01:07 PM
NICE! Oh man, now i have to get myself a 64bit setup. :D :thumbsup:

Riplakish
10-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Ah, well... My wife and I had plans tonight, but I guess I'll be upgrading and playing. :argue:

Thanks for all the hard work, NT.

Zach
10-10-2005, 01:56 PM
whoops, wrong lightwave shortcut! Thanks BigBoy

ACLOBO
10-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Ok, I just wanted to write to say that a fresh install has yielded much better performance from Lightwave. Now, the OpenGL stuff is accpetable and very nice to look at with the new hardware options enabled. So, if you are having lots of problems, a fresh install (as much as it might pain you) will probably do the trick. Just install LW8 and then install the 8.5 patch. You might have to manually remove the hub config file found in your documents folder so that you don't have your old lw being listed in the hub. Other than that, a few scans of the directory and the re-addition of some of my favorite plugs to the proper hotkeys and things seem to be ok.

:thumbsup:

Just me or is anyone else's lightwave sluggish as heck now? I did mess around with the hardware shading option (I have an 6800 graphics card). Nice idea, but it seems useless as the update is so slow on even simple shapes (although it does look nice) as to be useless. Unless there is something wrong with my install - or maybe all these new featuers are best seen on a x64 platform, I am a bit dissapointed. I have not played with multishift yet as when I switched to modeler from layout, I went to load a smoothed edge cube object I use for sufacing and Modeler crashed.... Well, I might try a completely new and fresh install and then the update, I just don't like having to add and reconfig my plug-ins like Maestro and F-prime... We will see...

Anyone elses thoughts? How is the OpenGl on your platforms? Was it feature or gimmick?

-Adrian

Lynx3d
10-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Hm just as slow as before, enabling GLSL sure doesn't make it faster either.
And speeding up Modeler would be much more important to me anyway. Maybe i should just get the evil "m" application from the dark side...

Surrealist.
10-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Hi guys. I do like to do research on my own before asking a stupid question but I have done some research and I am afraid I still have a stupid question.

On the side of my box for my winfast px6200td (nvidia 6200 chip) graphics card in fine fine print in another lanquage is a reference to optimization for Open GL 1.5

The Card is a PCI Express and I downloaded and installed the latest driver. I just can't seem to figure out how to tell which version of Open GL I have or if it my card is even capapble of it. I assumed since open GL 2.0 has been out for a while and this card is PCI express....

Well anyway how do you figure out if the card can handle this and or to upgrade to OpenGL 2.0. Is it a part of the driver?

Sorry this is a such a lame question.

Lynx3d
10-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Of course the driver has to support it...
OpenGL 2.0 isn't all that long in the nVidia drivers, ATI had it earlier AFAIR.

How to find out? Go to "Help"->"About OpenGL..." in Layout, or just make sure you have a driver of the 75 release series or later, they add OpenGL to GeForce FX, GeForce 6 and all later GPUs (according to the nVidia pdf i just found...), no matter what was printed on the box when you bought it.

Surrealist.
10-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Of course the driver has to support it...
OpenGL 2.0 isn't all that long in the nVidia drivers, ATI had it earlier AFAIR.

How to find out? Go to "Help"->"About OpenGL..." in Layout, or just make sure you have a driver of the 75 release series or later, they add OpenGL to GeForce FX, GeForce 6 and all later GPUs (according to the nVidia pdf i just found...), no matter what was printed on the box when you bought it.

Cool just as I suspected. Thanks for the layout tip. Just the info I needed.

Bigboy
10-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Just as a matter of curiosity, is the "disappearing grid" issue that many of us had with the 6800 GT gone in 8.5?

This isn't a Lightwave bug, its a graphics driver one. I've never had it here, but have seen it several times on other setups. Its all down to PC hardware, windows, and drivers.

This one works fine with me, but it always has done.

---- Edit ---

Also, for the record.... The "test" I did was probably a bad one. Turbulance with a fairly high Frequancy seems very slow, but most of the others are pretty quick. Ripples, Brick, and even Turbulance with a "default" of 3 are all fine. So, I guess like anything, some are quick, and some aren't. It is nice tyo see the effect over a scene though.

DogBoy
10-11-2005, 01:18 AM

Thanks...
Stivan

no, it's still there. For me at least.

Aegis
10-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Apparently, the clipped grid thing is an nVidia issue - NewTek have notified them so we should see a fix in a future set of drivers hopefully...