It here and it is ready.
Ladies and gentlemen start your engines, I mean updates

Sean Martin
10-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Oh great! the main feature of this update won't even work on the mac

Nigel Baker
10-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Hey Sean,

What main feature, do you meann the Open Gl issues?

DragonFist
10-10-2005, 12:15 PM
I am sure he does. However, the problem with that is not on the LW side but with OSX.

Sean Martin
10-10-2005, 12:17 PM
I sure did, apart from that is it really worth installing? is every thing else still working under OSX?

Nigel Baker
10-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Just going through it now.
I thought Multishift was missing but then I re-loaded the plugins.
Still not there, then went into Layout and found it there under Additional.

I have added it to my Multiply Tab now.

Still looking throught things right now.

Nigel Baker
10-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Have the buttons and overall appearence been tinkered with.
It seems very subtle but it does all look better me thinks.

Nope on reflection I don't think so.
Am I going, going, gone…

BazC
10-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Are vert selections showing in wireframe shade etc. now?

BeppeTurbo
10-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Does anybody know why the new Mac builds of Layout and Modeler are called Build 830 (Mac32) and Build 699 (Mac32), respectively. Does this mean that NewTek plan to release a 64bit version later on?

Rabbitroo
10-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Does anybody know why the new Mac builds of Layout and Modeler are called Build 830 (Mac32) and Build 699 (Mac32), respectively. Does this mean that NewTek plan to release a 64bit version later on?

Wouldn't plan on it until Apple gets a full 64-bit MacOSX.
-K

BillyBrusher
10-10-2005, 04:45 PM
For BazC

["Are vert selections showing in wireframe shade etc. now?"]

I tried 8.5 on my Ibook and in a word NO.... I haven't been able to see Verts since 7.5. I been waiting for this update hoping that I could use my version 8 but still no chance. Now I feel totally let down.

Why can't they sort this? I mean, it has been a problem well known since the introduction of version 8.
Oh well no good harping on I guess, I will have to wait to upgrade my computer.

Nigel Baker
10-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Vertices are only visible in Wireframe and Colour Wireframe.
I had not realised that this was an issue.

From a Mac point of view it seems a very weak update.
Very little happening on the surface.

mwh710
10-10-2005, 05:17 PM
At least you can get it. I have downloaded it 4 times & each time I try to unzip it, it errors out...

Ade
10-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Was wondering if I should go home and get my dongle, in a mac perspective this is a boring update.. I think ill wait till 64bit and hardware shade is supported till I give a ****.

Chazz
10-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Not sure I understand... why is it C4D and Maya can OpenGL shade procedurals with our lowly OSX OpenGL but Lightwave requires OGL 2.0?

I thought these new OpenGL features were going to really blow our minds...but on the PC the draw speed is severely slow for only the gain of seeing procedurals? Newtek, take a look at Motionbuilder... give us hardware shaded volumetric lights, bump mapping in realtime.

Darth Mole
10-11-2005, 01:45 AM
I can't help thinking NT has - unfortunately - shot themslves in the foot with this OpenGL thing. If they'd never announced it (or even bothered trying) they wouldn't be getting nearly as much flak. It's slow on the PC and not available on Mac.

I think they'd have been better off shouting about Multishift which is a genuinely useful addition to LW.

Frankly, I'm happy with 8.5: after all it was free. I don't much care about the procedural preview (I have FPrime), and My Mac doesn't even have 2GB of RAM yet, so the 64-bit thing doesn't really impact on me either.

All I'm really hoping for is the stability I was hoping that I'd paid for by upgading from 7.5 to 8.0.

BazC
10-11-2005, 02:04 AM
For BazC

["Are vert selections showing in wireframe shade etc. now?"]

I tried 8.5 on my Ibook and in a word NO.... I haven't been able to see Verts since 7.5. I been waiting for this update hoping that I could use my version 8 but still no chance. Now I feel totally let down.

Why can't they sort this? I mean, it has been a problem well known since the introduction of version 8.
Oh well no good harping on I guess, I will have to wait to upgrade my computer.

OK Thanks for the info. I think that's pretty poor though! :(

kfinla
10-11-2005, 08:20 AM
I was just wondering if, i cant use 8.5 because when my Nvidia card died in the spring i just got a cheap ati 9000. I have daul monitors and PCI readon feeding the 2nd monitor.

Just wondering since down-grading is generally a pain in the *****.

Was much work done again to teh SDK? are we gonna see something out of worley in few weeks :) from the added functionality?

C'mon sasquatch.. its been 2+ yrs? without an update

Nigel Baker
10-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Hello kfinla

I have been keeping a close eye on Worleys site every day.
Wondeing what is going on behind the scenes either with G2, FPrime and Sas.

Sas has not been updated in a very long time. G2 was made redundant with the release of FPrime 1 although it has been re-energised with the new release of FPrime 2.

Still disappointed about the release, although if it fixes any issues, its all good.
Smooth shift is very good, but to make a release with one issue in it from a Mac's point of view is weak.

Does anybody know what is going on? New Thread?

unc1e meat
10-14-2005, 08:06 AM
this message is for mwh710 or anyone else who couldn't get the 8.5 zip file to unzip.

I also had this problem but then I tried unzipping with a slightly older version of stuffit expander and it worked just fine. So, if you have stuffit 10 then you may not be able to open the zip file. If then try opening it with stuffit 9, it should work. Hope this helps