PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Rigging Question

Nicolas Jordan
10-09-2005, 06:29 PM
I am redoing the Rig on my T-Rex but I dont want to have to animate every joint on his toes for each step he takes. I would like to have this automated so when the foot lifts off of the ground his toes rotate on the Pitch and go limp and when his foot hits the ground I want them to extend again. Can this be done in Lightwave? Can I use expressions to do this? What is the best method? Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Dodgy
10-10-2005, 09:45 AM
I did it this way:

Linking the pitch of the toe bone to the height of the foot goal.

A better way might be to use the pitch of the foot goal as this will lift the to up when the foot points up (as it might when it is coming down), as well as droop when the foot is coming up.

I've included both expressions so you can try them out.

SplineGod
10-10-2005, 07:27 PM
You can do that in LW. The problem you run into is that if you need to manually animate the toes the expressions dont give you the control. Typically for stuff like this I just use selection sets and animate them as a group.

Nicolas Jordan
10-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the Expression samples and ideas. That should be just what I need to get started and see what will work best. Thanks.

MiniFireDragon
10-12-2005, 10:13 AM
Not knowing much (if anything) on expressions, is this possible:

Use a "ground null" and have the toe (through expression) get distance and curl or do what you like up to a certain point?

Just a thought. That way all u need to do is move the ground null to where every u like it to compute.