PDA

View Full Version : Frederick C. Robie house

otacon
10-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Famous home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, ive always wanted to recreate it in 3d. Finally got around to it. Rendered with fprime. Comments welcome.

meanlebh
10-09-2005, 06:06 PM
really great job, i love this house too, i was just thinking the other day about trying to recreate one of his houses.....anyways, i love the window and the lights, but great work all around as usual. keep it up.

-Brian

loki74
10-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Wow--great job!! Love the lighting... and the chairs look pretty damed nice as well. The only thing I'd say is that the bricks look a little blurry and a little flat. But other than that, :thumbsup:

otacon
10-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Thanks guys.

Captain Obvious
10-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Great image as always, otacon!

If you're feeling adventurous, you could always move the carpet polygons in the Y axis ever so slightly and render using motion blur. I'm not entirely familiar with Fprime's motion blur method (since I've never used it), but if it's the kind that produces grain instead of banding, it can make the carpet look fuzzy. Micropoly displacement, instances or what have you would look better, but Fprime doesn't support that yet. :p

Edit: it's a carpet, isn't it? Not just a floor? :thumbsup:

david_B
10-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Pish posh. He's obviously just scanned in a page from a Frank Lloyd Wright book. Obviously....

... sigh....

... I'd say that you should enter something for the "art of lightwave" book over at spinquad, but it's more reasonable to suggest an 'art of otacon' book instead...

what's this funny taste I suddenly have in my mouth? tastes like ***...

Lude
10-11-2005, 02:13 AM
what's this funny taste I suddenly have in my mouth? tastes like ***...

I was just thinking that - class

:lol:

gaushell
10-11-2005, 07:13 PM
very nice. i'd love to see it bake a bit longer. have you tried running it through neatimage?

flakester
10-12-2005, 06:24 AM
Excellent work! (again!!)

I want one of those chairs :thumbsup:

flakester.

otacon
10-12-2005, 08:10 PM
I actually did use neat image on it. This scene takes a while to render because of all the luminous polys and blurred reflection, so it still had some noise. Here are some more shots.

Captain Obvious
10-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Holy [censored], Batman! :eek: That's downright amazing! Especially the (DOFed?) close-up. The glass looks terrific. How long did it take to render those? How many indirect bounces?

nthused
10-13-2005, 06:47 AM
Gosh, I love your work.

One thing...and I don't know if this is right.

The wood texture on the beam over the windows...should that be running length wise with the beam instead of 90 degrees to it? Just looks odd...to me.

Spendid job on the glass, and the globes look better btw.

JadaFecT
10-17-2005, 02:34 PM
yet again great job. cant fault it :)

otacon
10-17-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks. Your right about that wood grain, i overlooked that. The render times were pretty long, i used 3 indirect bounces, lots of blurred reflections, and the luminous light fixtures made a lot of grain so it took long to clear up. Took about 12 hours on an AMD athlon 2.01Ghz.

nthused
10-18-2005, 06:05 AM
Yep, I've found that the blurred reflections slow FPrime down more than anything else. Would be interested to know how KRay does on the scene. I would expect it to work better with the luminous polys than FPrime.

Once again, really beautiful imagery.

PS. Also, sounds like a good excuse for an upgrade to your computer ;)

starbase1
10-18-2005, 08:56 AM
As ever, awesome work otacon.
You are the main reason I can't blame the quality of the tools for the quality of my images!

Nick
:thumbsup:

nthused
10-18-2005, 09:05 AM
You are the main reason I can't blame the quality of the tools for the quality of my images!

LOL. Yeah...darn it!

nikturnal
10-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Where do you find the time? Seriously, I was thinking last week of doing some FLW architecture. I even picked up a book on his work. I'll be burning it tonight. I agree the globes look much better. Keep setting the bar higher and higher and my copy of LW is going on eBay.