PDA

View Full Version : OT: Got an extra $3.5 million handy?

Jim_C
10-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Own your own Skycar.
Just in time for Christmas!
:santa:

Zoooooooom!!! (http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/sitelets/christmasbook/fantasy.jhtml?gift=4&spread=84&gid=5439489&catalog=1&passback=catalog_name=holiday2005&firstpage=94&rfx_base=http://neimansholiday.richfx.com.edgesuite.net/catalog_neimansholiday/holiday2005/&omni=1&catalog_base=http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/sitelets/christmasbook/christmasbook.jhtml?&firstpage=84&PassBack=catalog_name=holiday2005&firstpage=94&catalog_name=holiday2005&catalog=1&o=1)

ACLOBO
10-09-2005, 01:19 PM
I have heard about this thing before and even though I don't have any long commutes, I would still love to have it. Heck, I would actually love to have the 3.5 million to do with what I want if I could afford to buy a sky car.

-Adrian

prospector
10-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Seen that in a 60's Popular Mechanics mag. Just coming now?
and why would you need a International Traffic in Arms Regulations paper?????
Sounds like a way for govt to get thier take.

SplineGod
10-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Woohoo! Just ordered mine. :)

Ivan
10-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Just a reality check for those thinking this will eventually come to pass, have you driven to work today and if so how many of those people would you trust with one of these, they can't even figure out a four way stop.

Good news is at least we won't have to worry about some blue hair wandering into our lane because there won't be any lanes. Also there will likely be no one driving that has had an accident because the chances of surviving an accident will be close to zero so only safe or new drivers after the first five years.

Ivan

DragonFist
10-10-2005, 03:16 PM
You don't fly it. They are to have computer controlled flying lanes. You push a button and an approved location and it takes you.

My problem is if it running on Windows, I want NO part of it.

Ivan
10-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Brings a whole new meaning to "My commuter, err, I mean my computer crashed." Besides, like everything else it would be out a week and some high schooler will post ways to defeat the guidance system on the internet and we'll be back to my original point.

Ivan

New2Lw
10-11-2005, 07:52 AM
It's not computer controled in a way that it flys itself. I saw this on tlc or some other channel like a week ago. A show on the best hollywood props and their real life counterparts. This car was compared to 5th element and the jetsons I believe? The computer would show you where lanes are on a display, considering the lanes ever got layed out by the government and there were enough people using these things to even make lanes. This invention was voted to most likly not to catch on.

On the other hand, the cars in Minority Report and I Robot with the auto highways were voted likly to catch on. They were saying a full highway has a huge percentage of empty space, forget how much, because people like to wander and keep space on the sides of them. They are testing auto highways already, in California somewhere. Like 5 Buicks are diving within a couple feet of eachother, running on old pentiums 100Mhz. There are magnets in the road that the computer detects and follows. Drivers are just sitting there reading the newspaper and doing what they want. They showed a clip of a car merging, two cars had about a foot of space and a car came on to merge and the two cars parted just enough for the next car to merge the merging car moved really smooth. Was pretty neat.

type automatic highway or automated highway into a search engine and there's more stuff on that.