PDA

View Full Version : Courses in 3d animation - Help please.

Twisted_Pixel
10-09-2005, 07:14 AM
Greetings all.

Having completed one year in full time employment as a civil engineer, which followed on from the degree i did. I have come to realise that this is not the profession I want. I have decided to persue my hobby of 3d modelling.

My limited knowledge is all within LW, I would like to expand that knowledge with a course in 3d animation. One that will give me a qualification at the end (eg. Diploma or BA / MA ).

I have no problem with a course if it teaches with another program, I will still keep working with LW in my own time.

So in short I would like to know of any courses that people here know of.

Thanks in advance.

phil lawson
10-09-2005, 07:28 AM
Hi there...You will have a hard time finding a course in N.Ireland devoted to 3D animation/modelling. The University of Ulster has courses with moduals of it, but that is usually in the second year of a 4 year (one work placement year) course.

I'm currently studying Multimedia Computing and Design at the University of Ulster and although 3D could be used alot, theres only 1 modual that you will get marks for using it. :)

Over the water will be your best bet.

Cheers.

Twisted_Pixel
10-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I had pretty much come to that conclusion and have accepted I need to head to the mainland. No real restrictions on where, but London is just too expensive for me.

Thanks

lardbros
10-09-2005, 01:37 PM
There are loads of uni's that teach 3d modelling related courses or animation. I went to Teesside Uni, and can say that it (BA Computer Animation) was a good course and their equipment is great. Bournemouth Uni has a VERY good reputation and is the National Centre for Computer Animation (or something like that). It really depends on the exact course you're after. Teesside offer courses from Games Design, Computer Game Art, Multimedia, Computer Animation, etc and plenty of uni's can offer similar stuff too.

Ones off the top of my head are: Exeter, Plymouth, Bournemouth, Teesside, Dundee, De Montfort, Salford, Newport and Bristol, but there will be many more and there is a website somewhere that lists all of them, but i couldn't find it... sorry.

Good luck with your application.

Twisted_Pixel
10-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I will look into those, and see what i can find.

BeeVee
10-10-2005, 01:32 AM
Paisley Uni has a course and they have loads of students - all learning the latest version of LightWave... :)

B

munky
10-10-2005, 04:03 AM
Hi there,

you might want to have a look at escape studios in london.

http://www.escapestudios.co.uk/

regards

paul

Twisted_Pixel
10-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Thank you for your replies.

I will look into what you have given me.

My problem is I dont know if i can face a full 3yr degree, having already done 4yrs at uni. I was hoping for a nice 1yr postgrad course, which is probably why I am having so many problems gettting one I want.

I did find http://www.saeuk.com/creative_media/3D_animation_details.htm which looked perfect, until I saw the price tag. It's just out of my budget, considering it's in London.

Was surprised how many people have replied and especially by Mr Vost.

Thanks all.

Safe Harbor
10-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Have you considered coming to the States for school? There are many schools here with programs that are one year or less. I'm not sure of the costs involved, but it might be worth looking into.

KrisYoung1980
10-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Hi I'm Currently in my 4th year at Paisley Uni doing Computer Animation & Multimedia. By the sounds of things you could get direct entry into 3rd year here (thats what I did) with either the computer animation & multimedia course or if you have or can build up a decent portfolio, the computer animation and digital art option.

Twisted_Pixel
10-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Thank you Kris, I had not thought of the possibility of entry to course at anything but year 1.

Thanks all.