PDA

View Full Version : Spring

chemaelizondo
10-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Hi guys.
Does anyone know whats the best way to create a spring.
I need to bend a pipe as a coil, but I havent figure out how to make it with presition.

The reason why I ask this in the mac forum is because there are plugins for PC that create springs and ropes but I havent find any for mac.

Thanks

JM Elizondo

toby
10-08-2005, 07:14 PM
A real modeler can tell you a better way than this, but here's what I do -

Create a box flat on the ground, kill the polygon, copy/paste one of the points, move one of these two up, and move the other one down. Now select all the points and make a spline. The points next to the ones you moved up or down will need to be moved up or down 1/2 as much to make the path smooth. Copy/paste the spline and move it up to double the length of the coil, and weld the end points, repeat until it's long enough, then use this to rail extrude a disc.

mkiii
10-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Use the seashell command from the more dropdown on the Multiply/Extend menu.

If you create a disc for the spring cross section, and offset it the required distance from 0,0 and run the seasgell command, you will get a reasonable spring.

To get a good result, press n to get the springs panel up, and enter something like 0.995 in the scale per loop. setting. This will mean that the spring will have a slight taper to it, but you are unlikely to notice it.

Use the Shift Per Loop setting to set the pitch of the spring. Setting # Of Loops will set the length in multiples of the pitch.

The closer your Scale setting is to 1.0, the greater you will need to make the Shift Per Loop setting.

If you want to make a cable/rope, just make 2 or 3 discs offset around 0,0.

Rabbitroo
10-08-2005, 07:48 PM
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/UV2W_Spring.mov

somnambulance
10-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Create a box flat on the ground, kill the polygon, copy/paste one of the points, move one of these two up, ...

Dang toby, that is the long way.

create a circle polygon > Lathe > drag it out in one of the view ports > 'N' (to open numeric) > adjust the offset value and the end angle

like the video says, but he adds uvs

chemaelizondo
10-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys.
It works great.
Who needs a PC plugin after all?! :hey:

toby
10-09-2005, 12:31 AM
A real modeler can tell you a better way than this, but here's what I do -

See? What did I tell you?
God, I'm tired of bein' right! :king:

Rabbitroo
10-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Thanks guys.
It works great.
Who needs a PC plugin after all?! :hey:

The best thing about building a spring with UV weights as demonstrated is that you have an easy way to make your morph targets to animate that spring.

-K

mkiii
10-09-2005, 05:43 PM
There is definately more than one way to skin a cat in modeler.

...Or should that be execute a kitten?