PDA

View Full Version : It Happened again! eeekkk help

williamb
10-08-2005, 01:23 PM
:cursin: It did it again!
I rendered a 500-frame animation, open up VT and it is sitting in the file bin as a still image!!!!
Yet I made an animation before this and no problems…Actually before I rendered it I tested it for a few frames and no problem?

I’m a little panicked now…client is coming over…any thoughts anybody?

It just spent the last 12 or so hours rendering so it has obviously done something?!

This is how I did it

RENDER OPTION –OUTPUT FILES
Auto frame advance (on)
Save animation – Newtek RTV – format PAL (720x576) – Save Alpha

Surrealist.
10-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Ok hind sight is 20/20 but as a future reference - and it is talked about all the time here - render frames not an animation.

In the future rerender in frames, then convert to an aimim by loading image sequence into the baground and render. The animation will be done in minutes. For client work this should be your workflow. For just testing low res or other anim tests use anim but not for client work deadlines.

I don't know much about the flyer anims but I have heard of some problems with this.

Sorry this doesn't help for now. Perhaps you can reshcedule and render again- in frames. Unfortulanly it may be your only option.

toby
10-08-2005, 01:36 PM
Render to frames first!! (psd, png, tga) Then use LW to convert to RTV by putting the image sequence in the backdrop.

It's always dangerous to render an animation to one file.

- whoops - too slow

williamb
10-08-2005, 01:39 PM
Ok…So to clarify

In render options – output files – I select what? (save as RGB files???)
Could you please explain in detail and bare in mind I’m a lw newbie…thanks I’m grateful for help.

William

Surrealist.
10-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Yeah, Select save RGB, then give it a directory and a name. It will automatically attach the
numbered suffix to each file name.

Then under type choose chose one that toby mentioned - tga or tiff would be my choice. If it is just the finished anim use a 24 bit choice. If you need an alppha channel imbeded in the file use 32 bit.

Repeat for save alpha to save a separate alpha sequence if needed.

Once these frames are done keep them then run tests on the RTV.

Sorry I don't have a flyer so I can't help with those settings.

But to load an image into the BG simply choose windows, compositing options and then click on background image and chose load image. navagate to the folder where you have the image sequence, choose the first frame of the sequence you rendered out and click OK.

Then just render at the same resolution as the animation originally was but this time render as your were to the animation.

Repeat for separate alpha sequence if needed.

toby
10-08-2005, 06:16 PM
I prefer to render to .tiff but not when re-importing to LW. It seems to have some issues with that format, and you already have a problem with rtv so don't take any chances...

Surrealist.
10-08-2005, 06:26 PM
I prefer to render to .tiff but not when re-importing to LW. It seems to have some issues with that format, and you already have a problem with rtv so don't take any chances...

Wow didn't know that. So what do you recomend?

toby
10-08-2005, 08:20 PM
I'm on a Mac, so I'm sure there are differences, but the format I've had the very least trouble with is PSD. PNG has never caused a problem in LW, but it's premultiplied alpha can be problematic and it's edges are not very clean. It does have lossless compression though, so it's really good if you only need 24bit images.

I do recommend 32 bit unless you're absolutely positive that you won't need the alpha.

Surrealist.
10-09-2005, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the info.

I do recommend 32 bit unless you're absolutely positive that you won't need the alpha.

...and good point.

williamb
10-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks for your help
Another 300-frames to go! This time I lowered the aliasing so its going a little faster this time. Thanks again
William