PDA

View Full Version : Select facing polys

monfoodoo
10-08-2005, 10:54 AM
is there a way to select all polys facing(to me )In mass numbers?
i recently made a bank of shingles for a roof,all sides,and forgot to delete the back face of the original shingle before dupicating.the shingles are set up like slate and cut to size.fitting the roof area. there are hundreds. scott

lardbros
10-08-2005, 11:09 AM
The best way i've found is to go to the viewport where they are facing the view more-so, and then make sure the viewport is set on a shaded view rather than wireframe. Then lasso the whole object and it should only select the ones facing you.

Castius
10-08-2005, 12:16 PM
lardbros suggestion is what i do most of the time.

But when you need somthign alittle better use this.

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1209

monfoodoo
10-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the replies! scott

Silkrooster
10-08-2005, 09:48 PM
The problem with selecting polys in a shaded view, is some graphics drivers don't work correctly and you still end up selecting both sides.
If you have double sided polys, you can select object then use the unify tool, this will leave only one side. It may be necessary to use the merge tool first as the front and back must be one object. As I have seen the unify tool fail if you don't merge the points.
Silk

Surrealist.
10-09-2005, 01:01 AM
The problem with selecting polys in a shaded view, is some graphics drivers don't work correctly and you still end up selecting both sides.
If you have double sided polys, you can select object then use the unify tool, this will leave only one side. It may be necessary to use the merge tool first as the front and back must be one object. As I have seen the unify tool fail if you don't merge the points.
Silk

Hey you know there was this thread recently about the poly selection errors. Seen it a couple of times actualy. You know, high poly oibject, zoomed in you wind up selecting things out of view. Come to think of it I am always in shaded view when doing this. I kept saying I could swear it was a display issue rather than a bug per se. Something to do with graphics cards or open GL. With that info above, what do yo think? Know what I am talking about?

Silkrooster
10-09-2005, 01:24 AM
This problem crept up on me a few days ago. I created a flat curved band. I made it double sided with copy/paste. Anyways, I needed to select one side, because I made made up my mind that it needed thickness. To make it easier, I selected all polys then deselect one side in shaded view(In my mind it was easier :D ) Deselecting one side would deselect the other, after several attemps it worked. I only say it is a driver problem because I read that in another thread. It is very possible it could be a bug, but my card is getting old now (an ati 7500 AIW), as it does not support opengl2 (I assume). Since it has to do with the interaction of mouse and screen I beleive it is a display problem, but who's fault, I don't know.
Edit: BTW it was not a high poly object, approx 20 - 40 polys.(guesstament)
Silk

Surrealist.
10-09-2005, 02:54 AM
This problem crept up on me a few days ago. I created a flat curved band. I made it double sided with copy/paste. Anyways, I needed to select one side, because I made made up my mind that it needed thickness. To make it easier, I selected all polys then deselect one side in shaded view(In my mind it was easier :D ) Deselecting one side would deselect the other, after several attemps it worked. I only say it is a driver problem because I read that in another thread. It is very possible it could be a bug, but my card is getting old now (an ati 7500 AIW), as it does not support opengl2 (I assume). Since it has to do with the interaction of mouse and screen I beleive it is a display problem, but who's fault, I don't know.
Edit: BTW it was not a high poly object, approx 20 - 40 polys.(guesstament)
Silk

Yeah, that was exactly my thought becase it had to do with mouse and screen or at least what is on the screen view. I haven't had it lately but I was just currious. Thanks for the info.