PDA

View Full Version : I'm stuck! How do I do this?

Exception
10-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Ive been trying to figure this problem out, don't seem to get anywhere.
I have a whole cloud of individual bars. I want one side of the bars to alight to or rest on the surface of a background object. I have tried a few plugins, but don't seem to be able to get anywhere close.
A plugin called BG Conform Plus should be able to do it, but that is nowhere to be found... and I am afraid it will deform the top of the bars too. I would like to be able to move polygons in one axis, resting them on the surface of that background dome. Also a plugin called PolyFit should be capable of doing it, but since there is another plugin called polyfit, which does something else, and the one I am looking for is not on the website any more, I have no idea how to get it.

I'm going to have to do this a LOT in the future, so a plugin or a fast workaround would be very helpful.

Anyone any clues?

Capt Lightwave
10-08-2005, 10:15 AM
I may be wrong here, but:

- Use the dome as a backgroud.
- Make a flat grid similar to the one you have.
- Kill all polys and use the "point to polys" plugin.
- Extude through the dome object.
- With the dome in the bacground and the 2 point polys in the foreground, use the Solid Drill command in Slice mode.
- Delete all 2 point polys so that you're left with just points.
- Make a small polygon the size of one of the "spikes".
- Place the points in the background and use Point Clone Plus or similar.
- Extrude the polys and then use Set Value on the bottom ones to make them flat or whatever....

Phew, should have taken more time to write...maybe I'll just add the object file....yeah, I think I'll just do that. ;)

Exception
10-09-2005, 09:45 AM
- With the dome in the bacground and the 2 point polys in the foreground, use the Solid Drill command in Slice mode.

Thanks for the effort! Although Solid Drill would efectively do nothing for me, the Boolean Intersect command would do the trick.
This is a great workaround, and I thank you a lot for it! Still, if there is someone here that can reduce these steps for me, that would be great. The problem here is that I need both sides to conform to a surface. So, the bottom is now flat, but will need to be resting on another surface soon. Select and conform would be great for this.
This solution does help a lot with the first stage though, again, thanks.

Castius
10-09-2005, 11:06 AM
Either one of these will get what you want.

http://www1.plala.or.jp/Otsuka/graphics/LIGHTWAVE.HTML

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.CFM?ID=1979

Wade
10-09-2005, 12:19 PM

Get jems - :thumbsup:

Exception
10-09-2005, 04:14 PM

Hi, thanks for your suggestion, bu they do ALMOST what I want, and effectively nothing useful in this case. The reason is that the bars need to stay flat at the top. So if they would operate on the poly normal instead of the vertices, that would be perfect, but since they don't, they're not very useful here.

MonroePoteet
10-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Try using Boolean=>Intersect, but with just 2-point polys representing the vertical centerpoints of your columns. My testing indicates you then have to explicitly delete the original end-points of the 2-point polys. Basically, find a way to get a point at each position where you want the top of the columns to rest on the surface.

Then, use Point Clone Plus to clone the top square of the column to each point. Extrude downwards, and set the "ground plane" values to zero using Set Value.

This technique doesn't take care of the bottom surface conformity, but I think it could be done with two applications of the same technique (top-n-bottom with the same 2-point-poly spacing and column-top size) and merging the "ground plane" points as long as the Extrude was done carefully.

Not as quick as a plug-in, but pretty quick!

mTp

So, the steps are:

1) Create the conforming surface in Layer 1
2) Create a 2-point polygon (not a curve) in Layer 2 in the lower-left corner as observed from above
3) Use the Array tool to create an appropriately sized array, using manual spacing at the size you want each column
4) Use Boolean=>Intersect to "slice" each 2-point poly where the BG surface intersects it
5) Lasso the top points of each 2-point poly, delete. Same with the bottom
6) In Layer 3, create just the top of what will be each column, centered at (0,0,0).
7) Use Multiply=>Duplicate=>More=>Point Clone Plus to duplicate this to each point from step (5) in the BG layer
8) Extrude the resulting array vertically, making sure not to give it any X or Z displacement.
9) Lasso the "bottom" points of all columns, use Set Value to set their Y value to zero.

Dodgy
10-10-2005, 07:08 AM
Are you sure you're not looking for POINTFIT? On the same page? Polyfit works in layout, pointfit works in modeler....

Exception
10-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Dodgy: I was looking for Polyfit, but by another author. Pointfit would do something similar, but no matter which, both are not suited for this application.

MonroePoteet: yes, I've been using this method for now... it works, which is great, but it is a lot of work for something that could easily be performed by a script... I'm surprised there's no normal-move plugin readily available... : ) And what's with the disappearing plugins? BG Conform plus, Polyfit, and some others, just seem to be wiped out. Flay's database seems to need some help updating too...

LightFreeze
10-11-2005, 01:39 PM
You could do this in layout with HardFX

set the tubes as HardFX parts and set collision to stop by event

set the background as a collision object with mode as event

set a low gravity speed and tweek the resolution if necessary

then save the TransObject

Exception
10-13-2005, 05:45 PM
That is a very original solution! Thank you for that!
Now, all that is left is figuring out how to get the other side to comply to another surface and we're set!

LightFreeze
10-14-2005, 10:35 AM
You mean something like this?

Celshader
10-14-2005, 10:44 AM
That is a very original solution! Thank you for that!
Now, all that is left is figuring out how to get the other side to comply to another surface and we're set!

Do you mean taking each square polygon that makes up the bottom of each bar, and making the points of those squares conform to the shape of the hemisphere?

Exception
10-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Lightfreeze: yes.
And then preferably in modeler. I've attempted doing it in Layout with dynamics, and it was a complicated object, and it went all crazy.

meanlebh
10-16-2005, 02:30 PM
I think the plugin bg conform that you are looking for is located in the legacy plugins folder, but it is called spherize... not bgconform...in case you still wanted to find it...

-Brian

Exception
10-16-2005, 10:56 PM
Meanlebh: yes that is known, but I was looking for BgConform Plus, a third party plugin. But those will only move the points anyway, not the poly normal.

LightFreeze
10-17-2005, 12:53 PM
you might be able to do this with point clone extra 4 (http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1319) but it would depend on how accurate you need to get, you can clone an object to the polynormal or points but when you try for the second alignment those polys and points will not match the first set

I just thought of something though, if you made a grid to stencil through both target surfaces you could then use the new points as your clone targets which would mean that they would align

If this isn`t very clear let me know and I`ll knock something up to show what I mean

LightFreeze
10-17-2005, 01:23 PM
naa grid idea wont work,modeler is "unable to regenerate contour"

MonroePoteet
10-17-2005, 08:27 PM
Experimenting with the effect made me really interested. It looks like a good way to make surrealistic city scapes, floating cities, etc. Very interesting "pixelated" geometries.

Anyway, here's an LScript that seems to do the job. Please read the comments at the beginning for usage and notes. Hope it works for you!

mTp

Exception
10-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Cool!
Im going to run home and try it now!