PDA

View Full Version : External animation reference file

pooby
10-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Imagine if your animated rig could use write its motion to an external file that would automatically be referenced by any number of scenes.

It would mean you wouldn't have to keep loading from scene all the time. You could do all your Character animation in one slimmed down scene, save it out, and any new animation you do would update in all the reference scenes.

Mdd files can do this with a deformed mesh, but often you want the rig in the render shot too, especially if you have textures controlled by nulls etc.

If you are doing sasquatch passes or matte object passes etc, it would save a HUGE amount of faffing around.

It would be a most brilliant feature. I'd imagine it's pretty easy to make.
I have seen HMOT loaders, but it's requires manual placement. None automatically link to an external source. Why doesn't motion mixer do this, for example?

If anyone can write a plug to do this, or if anyone knows of a way of doing this, could you get in contact?

erikals
08-22-2008, 05:33 AM
Sorry to bump pooby,
do I get it right if I say this method is something that could be used for potential future crowd simulation?
(a thread discussing it here)
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=738888#post738888

Cageman
08-22-2008, 05:41 AM
That kind of functionality can be achived with Maya2LW2 (animation referencing) inside LW. The setup takes some time, but once it is done, it's done. It uses m2l files (maya2lw2 motionfiles) and you save them out from an animation scene. It then updates the renderscene automaticly. You can even have both scenes open and as soon as the animation has been saved out, it updates directly in the renderscene; no need to reload.

pooby
08-22-2008, 12:46 PM
yeah I dont need it anymore.. I went XSI since then, and it took 3 years to get a reply, so, it doesn't seem many others were that interested either.

Cageman
08-22-2008, 02:42 PM
yeah I dont need it anymore.. I went XSI since then, and it took 3 years to get a reply, so, it doesn't seem many others were that interested either.

I didn't even know this thread until I posted my reply earlier today. The maya2lw2 pipe was something I discoverd a couple of years ago, actually.

pooby
08-22-2008, 04:36 PM
sorry, I meant people being uninterested in my request, not your suggestion which may well be very good.
It's a shame Newtek havent put this natively in LW yet. It's got to be dead easy to do. I see there is a motion merge thing in 9.5 which could be useful, but external referencing, even a basic version would be very useful.

Actually I ended up using Jeremy Hardings reference motion to solve some of these problems.

HuGE
08-27-2008, 06:13 PM
It's really sad. I just saw your request (3 years later). And it would of been more than nice. AfterEffect, Avid DS and FinalCut have the same feature for video editing (or compositing). With Avid DS, this feature is unvaluable to me. I have to say, that we are very few to like and use this kind of feature. It's a shame.

Dodgy
08-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Ultimately the best idea would be one file format which would allow for very robust referencing. Then you could use scene which were models and reference them in the scene, thus keeping the current functionality. Then on top of that, you could reference those scene in others, so you can setup different scenes using those objects which are then referenced.