PDA

View Full Version : Platform Conversion - Amiga to Intel

chris_dan
10-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Hi,

I still own an A3000T with the Video Toaster installed. I purchased the Video Toaster way back in 1990 or there about. Unfortunately when Commodore sold out in the mid 90's I also gave up with the Amiga and moved to the PC platform.

I have recently been bit by the computer graphic bug again and consequently I have been trying to find software (for a reasonable price) that I could use on my PC (actually it's a laptop).

The other day I stumbled across a website that mentioned Lightwave which reminded me of how good the product was on the Amiga platform (although rendering times sucked) not to mention the fact that I own the product on the Amiga platform. The bad part is that I tried to boot the A3000T a couple of months ago and it would not respond. I had booted it successfully a couple of years ago! I think that I will try to boot it again after I'm done this posting. You know I really loved the Amiga platform because it did have a "personality" that Microsoft/Intel have been trying to imitate for years.

Here's my question:

Does anyone know if Netwek has a platform conversion policy that addresses the Amiga specifically and has successfully converted their Amiga license to the PC platform at a reasonable cost?

I have sent a message to the Newtek customer service address regarding the above as well.

I was not able to find any information on the Newtek website that dealt with the Amiga conversion issue.

I'm glad to see that Lightwave has evolved into such a prestigious product.

Regards,
Chris

Surrealist.
10-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Yeah, they'll upgrade your Amiga LW to the current viersion of LW. I still have mine too. I got through a few monts ago and I am now registered with my Amiga version as well as my intel. As soon as I get the money I will upgrade my amiga version as well to get another seat.

The pricing is the same as all other upgrades as far as I know, but I am not sure how they deal with the toaster if you are looking to do that.

Welcome back :)

chris_dan
10-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Hi Surrealist,

Thanks for your reply. If you don't mind me asking what was the cost of the platform conversion? The other question I have is how does Lightwave perform on the Intel platform? I am currently using a Compaq laptop with a P4 2.4Ghz processor and 512M of ram. The video display is nothing special (ATI Radeon 9000) but hopefully it will suffice. If you could let me know what your system is I could make some sort of comparison.

Thanks
Chris

Surrealist.
10-09-2005, 01:19 AM
hey no problem. I have been using intel since version 4.0 and I can tell you much as I loved my Amiga, had them both side by side for a while and both perfomed fine, nowadays especially there is no comparison provided you have the right gear. With your set up you will be OK. Not spectacular but OK. You are going to be jumps and bounds above what the amiga could do but by todays standards you will be a little sluggish with large files, high poly counts and so on. RAM would be a good thing to upgrde to at least 1 gig. But 2 would be better. But all and all you will be as I said doing pretty good especially compared to the amiga. My first PC for LW was a P1 100mhz! It rendered things 10 times faster than my 040 accellerated amiga 2000.

For my system I went out and bought an AMD FX55 which was the fastest AMD single chip a few months ago (was faster than intel's 3,8 ghz). I bought the chip and the MOBO in hopes of upgrading to 64 bit windows. That hasn't happend yet so I am still chuggin along at 32 bit. LW isn't availble on 64 bit yet anyway. But things are pretty smokin' just the same. :)

As for the price of the upgrade it is the same as all the other promotions. I think it is $395 with electronic docs (pdf) and more for the prionted manual. But don't quote me. Whatever is there current pricing would apply to the upgrade from your amiga version.

Nice thing about upgrading now is you get version 9 free!!!!!!!!

Don't know if you have checked out 9 or not but this stuff coming down the pipe is pretty hot.

Listen it is so great to see you are going to be moving forward with LW. It was quite an uphill battle for me going from 4.0 to 8.0 - not to mention the time inbetween not using it - but it was worth it!

If you have any questions feel free to ask. LW comunity is still the best around. :)

chris_dan
10-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Once again thanks for your help. When I bought my laptop over a year ago I knew that I would be sacrificing some power for portability. I don't think that I will ever ditch the laptop because of it's portibility but I will have to consider a desktop system for my music and graphic applications. I have looked into the Mac G5 but since Apple's recent announcement of migrating to an Intel chip set I'll wait until the dust settles.

What are your thoughts on Newtek's Inspire 3D offering? It sounds like Newtek wants a piece of the lower end market. I've subscribed to the beta site for the software but I still have not got a reply.

Chris

Surrealist.
10-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Well mac is by far a better computer and software for sure than a windows system. The only thing about the mac to consider is that the development is not always up to par. As an example, most LW plugins are developed for the PC first and some rarely get around to being developed for the mac. There are some other issues from time to time regarding compatability because of driver development being slow. There was a recent thread that got into this regarding the newest version of LW. Think the thread is still active so you might want to check it out if you see any threads about LW 9 or 8.5 I don't remember what the issuse was off hand but it had something to do with drivers or open GL or somthing that apple had not yet updated. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Regarding inspire 3D I have not even used it or seen it much. I remember when it came out I had the same thought. But whatever it takes to keep NT takin in the change is OK with me. :)

Other than that, I can't really coment I guess since my main focus is LW.

ACLOBO
10-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Apple hasn't developed their openGL drivers enough and as such, the new openGL features to be found in LW8.5 and 9.0 will not be available for the Mac. They currently will only be available PC users (yay me). I would definitely build a PC instead of a Mac (oh yeah, you can't build your own Mac). You can get much more bang for the buck and many of the other software that you might want to use in conjunction with lightwave (like Premiere Pro) are only available for the PC (last I checked - but been a while).

-Adrian