PDA

View Full Version : Cool Melt Effect

SplineGod
10-07-2005, 09:07 PM
I saw a post on another forum where someone asked how to do a melt effect in LW. There were several interesting responses including references to a melt plugin (which I have). Unfortunately the melt plugin doesnt do any sort of oozing effects. For those of you who bought my Displacements and Endomorphs CD this is done using the same technique. This is done with a single object and a single endomorph. It took literally about 5 minutes to setup. Im always amazed at some of the things that are possible with LW. :)
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/melt.mov

Silkrooster
10-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Very, very cool. I am guessing a reversed morph, start with the morph and end up with the base.
Silk

evenflcw
10-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Nah, I think he's using Normal displacement plugin (as always).

He's got one morph target that's been stretched on X and Z. Then through Normal Displ. plugin he's set up a gradient so that the points only start morphing as they approach Y=0. Add a procedural layer to that and you have the waves.

Very nice effect and results Larry!

SplineGod
10-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Yes on the gradient and no on the procedural. The endomorph was jittered so that the ripples are in the model. So the gradient makes it do that which worked out pretty nicely. Another one I had done with this is here:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/science/staph.mov :)

evenflcw
10-08-2005, 11:08 AM
So you had a pretty high subdivision on the box to get enough ripples in? I thought to use a procedural texture instead so I could displace after subdivision and get the needed ripple detail by adjust the subD level. But it didn't work quite as well.

SplineGod
10-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Pretty much so but not too high. Sometimes the procedural in conjunction with the gradient can help (Ive done that before too). Another option is to use more then one endomorph and more then one instance of ND. :)

newsvixen8
10-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Great SplineGod, could you walk us through the making of that lovely staph infection? (or just point me to the correct tutorial on your site...) We are your humble servants...

SplineGod
10-08-2005, 01:14 PM
That staph colony is one of the tutorials on my Displacements and Endomorphs CD on my site. The link to my site is in my sig. :)

newsvixen8
10-10-2005, 04:37 AM
Thanks! I'm ordering today :bowdown:

SplineGod
10-10-2005, 07:43 AM
Thank YOU! :)
So far the feedback on that CD has been very positive. I think youll find it useful :)