PDA

View Full Version : Capture is choppy

unyun
05-05-2003, 05:32 AM
still trying to get my VT[2] up and running right

i can't seem to capture properly from my camera
whether i choose rtv or avi (dv) format the resulting file is choppy with missing frames and crackly audio

it seems ok for the first few seconds and then starts losing frames

is there something i'm missing? some preferences setting or other toaster setting?

i'm using S-video and stereo (RCA) ins to the SX-8 from my dv camera
my machine has plenty of resources:
P4 processor 1 Gb RAM
ultra-320 15,000 rpm scsi drives x 2

nothing running in the background, really...

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
mark

Paul Lara
05-05-2003, 05:46 AM
what build?
Have you run Autoconfig?
Have you disabled indexing service on your video drives?
Is black on Preview?
Do you have DirectCD or InCD installed?
Have you checked each drive of your video stripe individually?

unyun
05-05-2003, 05:55 AM
paul -

the build is 3890

when i run autoconfig it tells me there may be more than 1 copy of VT[2] installed. i've tried to delete multiple entries in the registry but somehow autoconfig still gives me the same alert. after the alert, though, autoconfig continues and seems to complete its task. the multiple copies resulted from a couple "system restores" that were needed in XP

when running autoconfig i DID disable drive indexing

i've tried black on preview - doesn't seem to matter. Is this mandatory? How does one accomplish live switching if preview must be black?

yes, I DO have DirectCD installed. Is there a conflict????

when you say each drive of my video stripe could you explain how to do this?

thanks SO much!!
mark

Dan Hong
05-05-2003, 09:12 AM
Direct CD will intermittently hit your hard drives and cause stuttering. As for unstriping and testing the drives individually, it's not that big a deal, but I'd ask my dealer to it for me.

unyun
05-05-2003, 09:53 AM
thanks, dan

can i just disable DirectCD or do i need to uninstall?

will an unistall fix that?

if so, how do i burn to DVD if i don't have DirectCD or other dvd burning software?

thanks,
mark

Paul Lara
05-05-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by unyun
thanks, dan

can i just disable DirectCD or do i need to uninstall?

will an unistall fix that?

if so, how do i burn to DVD if i don't have DirectCD or other dvd burning software?

First off, DirectCD is not burning software, but packet-writing software, that allows you to drag-and-drop files to CD as you would a floppy disk. EZ CD Creator or some other app is actually what burns CD's for you; DirectCD gets installed because you checked 'yes' to its installation during the procedure. You can burn without it.

Here's the bad news about DirectCD:
Direct CD, which is packet-writing software (which ships bundled with EZ CD software) is to be avoided on video editing systems. Our users report that EZ CD 4.0 works fine (as long as you DON'T install Direct CD).

Direct CD causes problems for Video Toaster, Speed Razor, and even messes with Windows! It can be a culprit behind any (or all) of the following problems:

Drive not fast enough
Dropping frames during capture
Stuttered playback
Aborted capture of video
Random software crashes
Audio out of sync
BSOD (Blue screen of death)
"SpeedRazorSinkCallback" - "Unknown Internal Error"

Cause
After checking that these errors aren't causes by other software setup / hardware setup issues, you may want to check whether you have any packet writing software such as Direct CD (that comes with EZ CD software) installed on your computer.
DirectCD is packet writing software. Packet writing is a term for software that lets you record data onto a CD-R or CD-RW disk directly from Windows Explorer, My Computer, or from the File/Save As section of any computer program.

What, exactly, does the term "packet writing" mean? Packet writing allows you to build a disk little by little, piece by piece, easily. Each time you record some data onto a disk from Windows Explorer, My Computer, or a program's File/Save As box, you're writing a "packet" of data onto the disk. Hence, the term "packet writing."

DirectCD is without a doubt the most popular and best-known packet writing software. Almost all major CD-RW drives come with DirectCD. There's also packet writing programs called PacketCD, Nova Instant Write, and abCD, but they are not as widely used as DirectCD. DirectCD is virtually synonymous with the term "packet writing software." There is more information about this technology Roxio's web site (http://www.roxio.com/en/products/ecdc/dcdfaqs.html )

Information
Unfortunately, packet writing software severely alters your Windows configuration and significantly reduces system performance. It is not recommended for use on a video editing system because it will dramatically affect your system's resources. CD ROMs written using Direct CD and other packet writing programs can ONLY be read by systems with this same software installed. If you have burnt a number of these types of CD ROMs then we advise you to install this software onto another machine in order to read them.

Suggestion
Direct CD and other packet writing applications can not be easily removed from Windows NT / Windows 2000. Although individual files that make up Direct CD can be removed, some of the files are embedded into the OS and can not be uninstalled. We recommend installing a fresh version of Windows NT or Windows 2000 and then reinstalling your applications in order to restore normal operating performance to your system. You might wish to try repairing Windows NT using a Windows NT CD ROM. This MAY resolve this issue.

unyun
05-05-2003, 11:23 AM
Paul -
great info... i will follow your suggestions...

btw... i do have a ghost image of my drive that was created before DirectCD was installed

if i restore the ghost image should this correct the problem or do i still need a fresh XP install?

mark

Paul Lara
05-05-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by unyun
If i restore the ghost image should this correct the problem or do i still need a fresh XP install?

The ghost image is simply a more efficient way of deleting and re-installing, so you'll be cool after that. You can load EZ CD Creator, just keep an eye out for the requestor that pops up asking if you wish to install DirectCD...and say no.

unyun
05-05-2003, 11:53 AM
thanks, paul...

unyun
05-05-2003, 11:54 AM
thanks, paul... i will try that...

:D