PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime 7 on windows possible problem

JML
10-07-2005, 09:49 AM
does anybody has any issue with QT7 on windows with screamernet?

we were rendering an animation on our render tower, and the scene had some
mov files.
all nodes rendered the scene fine except 1 node where we had installed QT7 for testing.
(the node with QT7 will crash while loading if I remember corretly)

I will do some more test, I'm just wondering if anybody had any issue..

thanks

dballesg
10-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Hello,

Maybe it is the same ugly error that DFX+ is having with Quicktime 7?

Try to move from windows/system32 the file named QuickTime.qts to another folder and look it that solve the problem.

Anyhow I do not if it will solve it or help.

Cheers, David.

gjjackson
10-07-2005, 11:48 AM
I just installed QT7 on my 64 bit machine and it took a while before I could find an installer without the iTunes. I don't know if that would make a difference. I haven't really tried anything with it. I needed to install QT for After Effects and couldn't find any older version of QT so I had to download the new version. The installer comes up iTunesInstaller and I surely didn't want the iTunes so I did a search and finally found how to get it without iTunes.

HairyBouy
10-07-2005, 06:16 PM
I installed QT 7 on a new machine the other day. This is the only machine in the office with QT 7 installed. when i try to save a preview in QT format, Lightwave crashes.
This is the first time i've encountered this prob. i'de recomend not installing it.

Anyone know where i can get QT 6?

HB

Red_Oddity
10-08-2005, 04:56 AM
There is a known bug in the call to Quicktime 7, both LW and DF suffer from this (and probably other software aswell).
My recommendations, DO NOT INSTALL QUICKTIME 7 !

QT 6 just does what it's supposed to do, besides i can't imagine anyone willing to render out their precious 3D scenes to a QT format other than Animation or Uncompressed/None.

JML
10-08-2005, 12:24 PM
There is a known bug in the call to Quicktime 7, both LW and DF suffer from this (and probably other software aswell).
My recommendations, DO NOT INSTALL QUICKTIME 7 !

QT 6 just does what it's supposed to do, besides i can't imagine anyone willing to render out their precious 3D scenes to a QT format other than Animation or Uncompressed/None.

ok thanks, I won't until I know it's safe with LW.

also , you know that you can save avi from LW, but does anybody
know how you can save wmv from LW directly ?

right now, I turn the tga sequence into a avi uncompressed and then run
windows media encoder and convert it.
I wish I could save directly an wmv from lw..

Red_Oddity
10-09-2005, 05:31 AM
Download the WMV encoding software from the MS site, it's a pretty advanced piece of software

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5691ba02-e496-465a-bba9-b2f1182cdf24&DisplayLang=en

GCL
10-09-2005, 08:30 AM
For now QT7 is broken for alot of programs. Issues with Adobe Premiere, DFX+,
and so on. I just went back to QT 6.5 and leaving it as is. So MANY users at the apple web site complaining, go to this link:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.ee6ba94

Blame game in effect. Apple pointing fingers at 3rd party software companies and 3rd party companies at Apple.
The circle is complete. (grin)

JML
10-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Download the WMV encoding software from the MS site, it's a pretty advanced piece of software

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5691ba02-e496-465a-bba9-b2f1182cdf24&DisplayLang=en

yes that's what I'm using right now..

I was looking to be able to select wmv file while rendering an animation inside
LW instead of just avi,mov,etc..

thanks though

sculptactive
10-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Sadly this seems to happen every time Apple updates windows Quicktime. Similer problems occured in 6 until they brought out a fix.

It used to be not so much of a problem just re-install the old quicktime and hope not too many people download the new version until there's a fix. Unfortunately they now bundle quicktime with itunes so is spreading like wild fire and no fix insight......

JML
10-09-2005, 03:11 PM
yeah, I hate that they force you to install itunes with quicktime now

everytime, I have to install both of them then when quicktime is installed, I have to remove itunes.

groove660
10-10-2005, 01:58 AM
i seem to be getting alot of crashes playing back in QT7 with my 64bit machine. i wonder if there is a problem with 64 bit machines as well. Just need to get my hands on an old copy of 6.5.......

Red_Oddity
10-10-2005, 02:56 AM
yeah, I hate that they force you to install itunes with quicktime now

everytime, I have to install both of them then when quicktime is installed, I have to remove itunes.

Look at the right of the page, at the link that says, 'Stand Alone Installer (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html)' ... Just a wild thought

Red_Oddity
10-10-2005, 02:59 AM
i seem to be getting alot of crashes playing back in QT7 with my 64bit machine. i wonder if there is a problem with 64 bit machines as well. Just need to get my hands on an old copy of 6.5.......

http://www.tucows.com/get/195040_101958