PDA

View Full Version : Copy UV maps from 1 layer to another

drfoley
10-07-2005, 08:09 AM
How can I Copy my UV maps from 1 layer to another in the same object? I have the same exact geometry except that I deleted some extranious details in the extra layer in order to more easily see the UV map I was editing.

What I did was copy my characters head to another layer and deleted things like the eyeballs and eyelashes. That cleaned up the geometry a bit so I could see the UV map better to edit it. Now that I have a good UV map in that layer I want to use it, just the UVmap, on my original head in the first layer. Is this possible? Surely there is a way to copy UVmaps and paste them in another layer.

Thanks,
DrFoley
:help:

Dodgy
10-07-2005, 08:15 AM
If the geometry is in the same place, you can copy and paste the UV'd geometry into the same layer as the other geometry and merge (press m) the two. Any maps missing from the other will be in the merged file:) Then Unify the polygons (which will get rid of any duplicates) and all should be well...

drfoley
10-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the tip. I think that worked.

BTW, How would you line up 2 arms for UV mapping? Would you try to do them symmetrically at the same time or do 1 at a time?

Thanks,
DrFoley
:D

Dodgy
10-07-2005, 10:07 AM
I dunno, you could do them in a variety of ways... However if you had a complex arm which was a mirror of the other, I'd sort out one and copy and paste it into the background, mirror it and then do the merge trick.