PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question - Lightwave always going back to a set folder?

Lude
10-07-2005, 06:33 AM
Stupid question but how do I stop Lightwave always going back to a set folder when I want to load things.

Can I set it up that it will always go to the last folder I had opened.

Dodgy
10-07-2005, 06:50 AM
Do you know how to set content directories and how they are used?

Lude
10-07-2005, 07:15 AM
umm not really i guess

Dodgy
10-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Wellllll....

A content directory is like a master directory for a project. In it should be all the files which you need for your project. It's best to have subdirectories like Objects, Scenes, Images, Renders etc. Then you set Lightwave's Content Directory (press alt-f12) to that directory. Then when you load an object into a scene, LW will remember the path relative to that content directory.

That way, if you move that entire directory somewhere else on your harddrive, you just point LW at that directory and everything will load... :)

If you have the subdirectories like I described above, then any images etc which are missing from the place they should be, LW will look in the relevant directory for them anyway.

If you use an image object etc which is not in a subdirectory of the content directory, LW stores the complete path to that file.

Mercuryrex
10-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Why do you need to set the content directory though?

Why can't it be programmed to automatically work out what the content directory is relative to what scene file you've loaded?

I would have though that this wouldn't be too difficult to program.
But then again, maybe it is one of those things that is a difficult thing to program.

Dodgy
10-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Because you don't have to have the content directory laid out as explained. I have different content directory layouts all the time depending on the project, and LW can still find things because it stores things relative to the Content Dir, not just looks for them in either objects/scenes/images etc.

Mercuryrex
10-08-2005, 06:24 PM
I don't know what you mean.
Anytime I load a different scene from a different project, I still have to manually set a new project directory to prevent the program asking me where my objects and images are located.

I would have thought that it should still be able to work out the root directory from where you originally loaded your scene from, as long as everything was in scene/object/images folders.

mkiii
10-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Yes, but you don't have to have your misc files in Objects & Images folders. They can be scattered all over your drive, or network, and the scene file should find them because it stores paths relative to the root of the content folder (not the scene file itself), and not to any specific drive.

If your objects are not in the root of the content\objects folder, then the entire path relative to the content folder is stored in the scene file.

Just take a look at some of the content scene files that come with LW, and just accept that this is the way it works. Any 3d app that uses some sort of scene files or projects requires you to set up the folder structure in some way, and needs you to tell it where to look.

This just the way of things until mind reading apps come our way. At least all you need to do is press o and point it at the right folder.

toby
10-08-2005, 07:57 PM
You *can* set your drive as the Content directory, and everything will be saved with an absolute path, but don't ever change the drive in which your data is stored on. You'll have to browse for every single object, image, and pfx file for every scene you have.

Lude! I can't believe you don't know about this yet! Well, LW does get better the better you know it, the more you use it, the more you'll find more things that make you go 'aaaaaah'.

JML
10-08-2005, 08:18 PM
I don't know if this will help you,

(I had to explain at work how content directory worked and how important it was to setup it up right..)

this is how it's setup where I work. (see picture) (this is just an example of how it can be set)
we have all the files on a file server, everybody work in their own "User" folder.
the good thing about it, is that I can go on any computer in the office, and I won't have to tell LW where to find the files.

I can help somebody with his project on a different computer and I still won't have to tell LW where to find the files..
and I exactly know where the files the scene is using are.

Mercuryrex
10-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Thanks JML,..that's very helpful.

I always thought that you needed to select the content directory for each individual project....which would be the child folders in your picture.

I never realised that you could parent all your projects to one big parent root folder that contains all of your projects and that you could use as the content directory.

I feel such a fool for not knowing this, and I'm kicking myself for not knowing something so simple:D
I've always thought that you needed to use your immediate local project folder that contained your scenes/objects/images as the content folder. :foreheads

This is one of those little things that I never realised was possible before, and although a minor detail, will make the creative process just that tiny bit more enjoyable.
Thanks again. This is something that I've learnt that's new to me and that I never knew of before. :)

JML
10-09-2005, 10:19 AM
I'm glad it helped you. :)

having the content set like this is what I decided to do... other people might do that differently..

Dodgy
10-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Also, if you change the content directory to one of the sub folders, when you save your objects and scenes again, LW will update the paths stored as well, so then you can copy/move the sub directories to another directory and if you point the content directory there, the scenes will still work. It is really a flexible system.

Lude
10-10-2005, 04:29 AM
hi toby, I do use folder setup’s like described here :neener: and have a network drive at work with common models/scene etc. on it that can be loaded from any pc without questions from Lightwave as there always coming from the L drive.

But I didn’t actually know about the “press alt-f12” command – cool

But to be honest my question is more about why Lightwave can’t just go back into the dir you where in last time u loaded something.

i.e. u load something in Photoshop and then decide to load something else, Photoshop doesn’t say ah I must now go to some set dir, instead it simple opens the last dir you accessed.

toby
10-10-2005, 09:47 PM
hmm, works for me, maybe it's a pc thing? ( :tongue: )
I'll check it when I go back to work tomorrow, but I think it's supposed to work -