PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Blitz on Technical and Community Colleges?

AbnRanger
10-07-2005, 04:08 AM
Regardless of the value, speed and ease of Lightwave, until it makes it onto more college campuses, it will be more difficult to break the stranglehold that Maya and Max currently possess. As complex as these programs are, most users tend to stick with what they were originally trained on, due to comfort and familiarity factors. So, naturally a growing user base needs to have a growing number of training facilities. To that end, here's an idea of sorts.

While many 4yr Art Colleges use Maya or Max, I'd like to see Newtek market Lightwave at various Technical and Community Colleges Nationwide, that have a Visual Communications or Multimedia Dept. and try to work with them to incorporate some Digital Animation courses (for those that do not already have them)....using Lightwave. It has an impressive portfolio, is one of the Major 3d applications in the marketplace, and the pricing would be EXTREMELY attractive for that type of Institution. Newtek Resellers could possibly help the schools find qualified instructors in their respective locales.

Case in point...I live in the Nashville, TN (USA) area, and have already spoken with the Dept. Head of Visual Communications at Nashville State Tech. She warmed to the idea of introducing some 3D Design/Animation classes into the program. The only obstacle she said was finding a qualified instructor. Magnetic Dreams is a good size studio here locally using Lightwave, and I'll check with them about the matter.

Any of you that are professionals in the field...regardless of where you live...there are likely similar opportunities in your communities to help nudge such institutions toward the 3D environment... :lwicon: Lighwave in particular... and perhaps to teach one or more classes should your schedule permit. Any thoughts ?

Jockomo
10-07-2005, 09:09 AM
I wholeheartedly agree!

While I will admit that I don't know the first thing about marketing 3d software,
I would have to believe that getting your software to be the standard in colleges would be the first step to becoming the leader of the pack.

The first time you learn a new concept really defines how you think about the way you think things should work. For example having learned on lightwave first, the concept of keeping modeler and layout seperate probably seems much more comfortable to me than to someone who learned Maya first.
Even after learning Maya, going back to Lightwave does not feel as odd as if I had never used it.

With Alias being purchased by discreet and all the chaos that is causing in their community, hopefully NewTek be able to capture some of that marketshare.

Rabbitroo
10-07-2005, 11:29 AM
It would be great to see talent coming to use with Lightwave skills already--most of animators that I get to interview don't tend to come with a lot of LW experience anymore.

-T

:agree:

beverins
10-07-2005, 02:35 PM
We use Lightwave 3D here at Long Island University Brooklyn, though Newtek really haven't done more than a "good on you" comment. With limited resources, I would rather they perfect LW 9, of course... but it would still be nice if we got some recognition for being the only university that teaches LW anywhere on the East Coast (to my knowledge, anyway).

pauland
10-07-2005, 03:59 PM
They really should be promoting such colleges, if only to show that colleges aren't on their own when taking up lightwave. I wonder sometimes about Newteks marketing strategy - it's not as if giving some publicity to colleges would be an expensive proposition.

Ho hum!

CB_3D
10-07-2005, 06:45 PM
It would be a very smart move to agressively target Universities, up to the point of giving them full licenses for free. This would be a big investment, granted, but in the long run this would expand the LW userbase exponentially.

AbnRanger
10-07-2005, 11:11 PM
I made the pitch based on two main points:

1) Many talented artists go into the Graphic Design field expecting to put their talents to work there...but the cold hard reality is (as I have discovered myself) that very seldom does traditional 2d Design challenge your fine art skills. Rather you will likely get stuck doing a bunch of layout and text/image editing, etc. for years while your drawing/painting/creative skills gather dust.

Conversely, the 3D environment is THE BEST field to unleash your creative/artisitc ability, BAR NONE! Additionally, a fine artist can take his 2D work and give it LIFE, by animating it... with FAR MORE realism than he/she could obtain with oils, pastels, or charcoals.

2) 3D Design/Animation has permeated every form of visual communication, AND IT ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE. Graphic Designers that have experience in 3D will certainly have an advantage over other artists who do not have those skills. Newtek interviewed one Designer (Chris Short) at SIGGRAPH who came from a fine arts background, and he does most of his artwork using Lightwave and Photoshop. One of his chief clients is Newsweek. http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2005/2005.php

I don't think Newtek has to spend a good deal more in marketing than they currently are. It's just a matter of focusing some of their marketing efforts toward this relatively untapped segment.
The Academic licenses are already so affordable, I don't see the need for Newtek to offer them for free. The schools would get additional exposure by being listed in Newtek's Training Facilities link
Beyond Newtek's efforts, I wonder if other Lightwave users would be interested in taking a more pro-active approach in helping to build the Lightwave community...a fraternity of Lightwave users IN THEIR OWN BACK YARD :lwicon: .... by
1) looking at the colleges in their community...2yr and 4yr alike
2) research online to see if they have a Visual Communications or Multimedia program that doesn't yet have a 3D Animation course offering,
3) contact the Department head of those programs and ask about the prospects doing so...pitching the use of Lightwave in the course of the converstation. Many of you are qualified...and perhaps would be willing to teach, so they wouldn't have to look far for an instructor.
One last benefit that I think is huge is that LW is the ONLY major 3D app in the business that makes it easy for a student or recent grad to make the transition from an Academic license to a Commerical one.
Sorry for the long post. :D

cresshead
10-08-2005, 06:56 AM
what college use to teach in a college is driven by what the job market is using and demanding..and that maya and max currently for film and games...

lightwave and others could get into other areas such as tv and print but games and film are now the domain of autodesk.

i think it would be a waste to try and get newtek prducts into the game or film market esp the game market as newtek's lightwave has no direct x viewport or viewport shader technoligy which games dev tesms need to see their work in the 3d app and not have to export to their engine to view it...that why max is so strong....xsi and maya also have cg shaders and fx shader capability in their viewports and with microsoft wanting/demanding the end of open gl for vista then having a opengl 2.0 compliant viewport is somewhat worthless.......they need direct x 9.0 if newtek's focus is that of games.

at least that what i came to understand at the max roadshow and talking to the ati product manager for europe.

steve g

AbnRanger
10-08-2005, 11:28 AM
I understand what you are saying, but since Lightwave is an industry standard tool in TV and print, and has been used extensively in the film industry, then it would serve as an outstanding all-around 3D application to teach in 2yr schools as well as 4yr.
Microsoft has wanted Direct 3D to be the defacto standard for a while...but not everybody jumps when Master Bill (Gates) says to....as is the case with driver support for Win XP Pro x64...it's as if more and more people are just ignoring him...how dare they? :D

newsvixen8
10-08-2005, 12:05 PM
The community college near me has been using Lightwave in its video production courses for years, with little recognition. The art department across campus is now discovering 3D, but bought Maya and a bunch of G5's, but doesn't have anyone to teach it. (They tried to ship off a gaggle of art teachers to a two-week seminar, but it somehow didn't pan out at budget time.) So the Lightwavers quietly go along doing their thing, focusing mainly on broadcast applications, while the Art department can't find its butt with both hands, and now the computer dept. is trying to launch a game development course of study. Wonder what THEY'LL buy...

Rich
10-08-2005, 01:23 PM
I went to the School of Communication Arts in Raleigh, NC. They also only taught Maya and Max. I really wanted to go to a school that taught Lightwave but because of financial reasons I needed to find a school close to where I lived. So I decided this school was better than nothing. I am glad that I went to this school because I was able to take my training and apply it to LW. I don't think I would have ever fully understood UV mapping if it wasn't for one of the teachers there. He was a great teacher and a huge LW fan so he and I clicked right away. I tried to talk to the administrators about adding a LW class but they felt that 3dmax and Maya were far superior, of course these same people were not really artists themselves they just relied on marketing hype and the occasional "Industry Pro" that convinced them what software would give their students the best chance of finding a studio that would hire them. After taking a 2 year course in Maya I still come back to LW, it just feels right. :lwicon: :thumbsup:

Ivan D. Young
10-08-2005, 03:26 PM
The D.A.V.E. School in Orlando,Fl teaches Lightwave. It has been using Lightwave from the beginning. The DAVE School has a qualified staff, including Proton. We have many guest lecturers from the industry several times a year teach Lightwave to the students, guests like Nic Boughen, Jose Perez, Jonny Gorden, Deuce Bennett and more. the DAVE School also stresses a close to "real production" style of learning to ready the students for real production jobs in the Industry. The real reason you do not hear about Lightwave in more schools is probably becuase it is not the "Cool App" at the moment. But just remember one thing, Lightwave really is everywhere! :lwicon:

Qslugs
10-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Some of you may not know this, but Lightwave was in quite a few schools years ago. I can only speculate as to why, which I won't here, but most of them that I know were teaching Lw courses, or LW in general, stopped in favor of other software packages. I wrote similar emails (what you are all stating above) to Newtek several times in the past stating this exact issue. I always felt that my comments fell on deaf ears.

If Newtek want's schools to be using their product, they have to make a compelling reason for people to be taking the time to teach it. I have suggested in the past, that schools having 2d and 3d animation departments, Newtek give away computers with toasters to use as editing and pencil test stations. This would get schools to use their software. If they stop teaching with the software, they get no hardware and have to give it back.

Give schools with video editing departments Toasters to use if they teach a LW class. Same thing here, no proof of class, no toasters.

I also believe teaching more than one type of editing solution to students would be a benefit, even if it were only a basic hands on type of class. Just enough to become acquainted with the hardware. This could also help future toaster sales.

That is just a few ways, almost guaranteed, that Newtek gets Lightwave taught in at least smaller institutions, with smaller budgets. Although. along with that, they would need to supply free support.

Also...

Newtek could hook up with a chain school like the art institutes. Give away free copies of the student version to everyone enrolled in the LW course. Again, make sure they are teaching the class. They teach the class, they get free software. No class, no software. That is one sure fire way to get it in the hands of the future students and out into the field. After all, what student is going to pass up free software? Newtek could even get one of their partners to agree to similar, say bundle DFX+ or Vue in with that.

Newtek could hold week long seminars all over the country, set the price high enough to cover a copy of the software at a severely discounted price. People could get training and software all in one fell swoop.

Newtek should also find and distribute to related fields, like medical illustration or graphic design. Offer the same as mentioned above to those programs. No class, no software or hardware.

Zach
10-10-2005, 12:48 PM
One thing you might want to realize is there are more people using Maya than Lightwave, so it is harder to get people to teach Lightwave.

Plus, I think Lightwave might be losing more ground given the fact that it is still an old paradigm. Yes, we will be getting a major update soon, but there is a lot of work to do to get it in competition with the "big guys" of 3D. I mean, just look at highend 3D. No mention of Lightwave in their main links for years!

I asked my school why they didn't use lightwave back in '99. The main reason was that it was 2 seperate apps vs one integrated app like the rest + it wasn't popular in games. This was right on the verge of 6.0 and lots of folks knew lightwave vs any other apps in the local 3D community of Portland. Soon, after seeing the "light", they switched from Max to Maya (it took a long time for the Lightwave teachers to catch up), and they haven't thought twice about it since. In portland, the art institute is pumping out more and more maya users every quarter, and the new hire/freelance pool is more maya-centric there.

Lightwave has got to prove, more than ever, why people should be using it. With apps like MODO, ZBrush, and XSI, why should anyone invest in Lightwave? It's becoming harder and harder to convince anyone.

Hopefully 9 will help to make that change, but it better kick major butt.

AbnRanger
10-12-2005, 04:56 AM
One thing you might want to realize is there are more people using Maya than Lightwave, so it is harder to get people to teach Lightwave.
We all know this is the case, but want to do something to help reverse that trend.

Plus, I think Lightwave might be losing more ground given the fact that it is still an old paradigm. Yes, we will be getting a major update soon, but there is a lot of work to do to get it in competition with the "big guys" of 3D. I mean, just look at highend 3D. No mention of Lightwave in their main links for years!
If you look at the proportion of changes in the other packages compared to Lightwave, I'd say there seems to be some significant differences. Maya 7 appears to have no real reason for users of 6 to make the upgrade...just very miniscule improvements. XSI has a 64 bit version, and that's about it. 3ds Max included a new high end Hair/Fur system, new Cloth system, a REAL dandy feature in Pelt Mapping, and some new Edit Poly tools. So Max is the only one of the competitors that has some note-worthy additions.

Newtek not only offers a 64 bit version, but if they are really able to slash render times (for LW 9) like they stated at Siggraph, that would be a REAL eye opener. Increasing the render speed 5x or better has HUGE cost savings implications in regard to the number of render nodes needed to tackle a given project! Lightwave is going to start looking pretty sweet to an increasing number of studios at that point.

I asked my school why they didn't use lightwave back in '99. The main reason was that it was 2 seperate apps vs one integrated app like the rest + it wasn't popular in games.

I'm still rather new to LW (coming over from 3ds Max), but one good thing about the separate apps. is that LW loads up in a flash... whereas 3ds Max can take up to a minute...meaning that it runs with a HUGE payload. But LW literally is quicker on it's feet, so to speak. An Instructor in college told me the same thing yours told you. When I went back recently and explained why they are separated and about how speedy it was compared to Max, he was surprised.

Lightwave has got to prove, more than ever, why people should be using it. With apps like MODO, ZBrush, and XSI, why should anyone invest in Lightwave? It's becoming harder and harder to convince anyone.
Hopefully 9 will help to make that change, but it better kick major butt.
I think they are making serious progress...

Going back to LW's appeal to 2yr and some 4yr colleges THAT DO NOT YET HAVE A 3D PROGRAM...their heavy presence in the TV/Advertising market is nothing to sneeze at, and with their extensive use in film (while being dwarfed by Maya)...they are a viable choice. First come First serve,though.

Are any of Newtek's Marketing guys listening? If so, care to chime in?

DeathsHead
10-12-2005, 07:10 AM
One thing that I've come across a few times over the past few years was that, for example, in the Boston/Providence area there were 3 or 4 different college's that at one time did have a 3d course available that used Lightwave as their main program but as time went on they each replaced Lightwave in favor of Maya. When I asked as to the reason, Why?. One main factor was continually brought up. That being that Maya had a more comfortable training approach by which their manuals aswell as manuals from 3rd party suppliers where written with an approach that grabbed the student and made them "want" to read it and learn. They were & continually are, printed on heavy glossy stock paper and in most cases, in full edge to edge color. Maya's training material can be considered a work of art as compared to what is distributed by Newtek. Instead of bundling software maybe a better idea would be to invest in training materials that when looked at, "sparked!" the fire in the viewer that would make them want to dive into the program head first. Not make them want to fall asleep. Just go to any Barnes & Nobles and look at the deversity between books for Lightwave as opposed to books for Maya. Lightwave thrives on greyscale while Maya goes the extra mile and doesn't just print in full color, but on highgloss heavystock paper aswell. And yet the prices are virtually identical between them (books that is).

Just a throught.

Zach
10-12-2005, 01:15 PM
I don't mean any disrespect here, as I was brought up on Lightwave, but...

Have you looked into the XSI 5.0 upgrade?

I don't really want to rattle off on the features of it, but there are some major additions and workflow enhancements that were well worth the money I spent to upgrade...

GATOR and PhysX is just the tip of the iceberg, but for me, being a foundation user, it was the reorginization of the interface, the maya-like cut off menus, no need to turn on gi for every object, the addition of the "texture layer editor" and relax/smooth from essentials/advanced. There is a Maya-Like channel editor and a LW-like MorphMixer... the list goes on... plus it has the new gigapoly core... (which seems more like hype than anything), etc.

OK, I rattled off some features, i couldn't help myself. The XSI upgrade has made it harder for me to use anything else. It's just simply a bitchin app. It has taken Softimage, Maya, Max, and LW, and smushed all of their good parts together to make a really usable tool.

I just want to give you some knowledge behind the rather broad statement of "XSI has a 64 bit version, and that's about it." It is a paltry description to a major update. I mean, one could say the same about LW 8.5 and it could almost be true, but for the users of LW, it is a welcome and FREE addition.

Maya's update to 7 is rather huge too. Don't discount the latest editions to competing software unless you really know what you're talking about. You gave MAX a shining shout, but this is because you come from MAX, and the editions are welcome by you because you know you could have used them.

To some, an integrated interface for Lightwave, or the addition of multiple undos to certain aspects in Layout, will be like, "what? that is a feature?" but to the Wavers, this is a big deal! NewTek has a lot of catching up to do, but they can do it (and they are). First, they have to make the software kick more ***** before they start getting schools to see the light, which is increasingly growing more difficult with all the super novas that seem to be closing in.

AbnRanger
10-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Have you looked into the XSI 5.0 upgrade?
Yes, I did....back during Siggraph, when all the major programs announced new releases. I watched some of their new features videos. Yes, they had some handy additions that may make a current user interested in upgrading. Same with Maya. However, with Maya, personally, if I had purchased 6 or 6.5, there's nothing in 7 that would get me excited enough to upgrade...and I am trying look at that as objectively as I can. Now, back to XSI...the 64 bit feature is a MAJOR reason, however, why one would be compelled to upgrade....

First, they have to make the software kick more ***** before they start getting schools to see the light, which is increasingly growing more difficult with all the super novas that seem to be closing in.
...But your point was that Lightwave had better kick some buttocks to try and catch up. And I am saying that adding a 64 bit addition, cutting their commercial price in HALF, and bumping up the render speed 5 times or better in version 9.... IS HUGE compared to the others!!! And I didn't even mention the other improvements. I'm simply saying that Newtek, comparitively, is doing a heck of a job justifying $795 for a commercial seat with near unlimited render nodes. WHAT MORE DO YOU EXPECT?! If Maya promised a fivefold increase, or better, rendering speed for Mental Ray, don't you think that would make Maya users downright Giddy? Darned skippy it would!

Maya's update to 7 is rather huge too. Don't discount the latest editions to competing software unless you really know what you're talking about. You gave MAX a shining shout, but this is because you come from MAX, and the editions are welcome by you because you know you could have used them.
You're right in that I would value their improvements more if I used their programs. You have a good point there. However, you are assuming that I'm discounting their worth altogether. That's not the case. I'm talking MAJOR additions here, not just a handy new feature here and there. Now, with Max. The addition of Hair, Fur, and Cloth WITHOUT CHARGING $5500-6500 EXTRA like Maya and XSI....IS HUGE! Previously you'd have to buy about $1000 worth of plugins to include those features. And the Pelt Map may seem like a secondary addition, but it makes fooling with UV Mapping much, much easier. These are the kind of MAJOR additions that make it extremely hard for current users to choose NOT to upgrade.

Zach
10-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Ugh... I hate playing the advocate for something other than Lightwave!

And I am saying that adding a 64 bit addition, cutting their commercial price in HALF, and bumping up the render speed 5 times or better in version 9.... IS HUGE compared to the others!!!

Well, I'm not sure how huge that is since Lightwave's renderer has become more dated in recent years. XSI|MentalRay seems to be a little speedier than Lightwave at the moment. Plus, everyone is starting to offer 64bit. So "compared to the others," I would say, they are keeping their head above water on that front.

Don't get me wrong though, the price of Lightwave without the new 8.5 features is still a good price. We'll be able to understand the value of Lightwave even more when and if 9 comes out.

Alias released a 64-bit version of MentalRay standalone which inherently means less render times and increased scene file size. But, that was just mentalRay, and don't forget RenderMan Maya is touting some neat things for maya users.

Now, with Max. The addition of Hair, Fur, and Cloth WITHOUT CHARGING $5500-6500 EXTRA like Maya and XSI....IS HUGE!

Right, Autodesk/Discreet has always charged too much money for Max. At least they put features in there to justify the $3500 price tag. Still, Maya and XSI hold a lot over the heads of both LW and Max.

The thing I'm saying is, LightWave has to play some major catch-up since the Luxology folks took NewTek for a ride. There is no reason for an educational facility to change to Lightwave when LightWave is Light Years behind. 9 promises to be a major upgrade, but it doesn't necessarily promise to be an innovative step in the field of 3D.

Apps from Kaydara, Pixologic, Softimage(XSI foundation is only $500 and you get a heck of a lot for very little), and Luxology have proved that they are thinking forward into the future. If you go through the feature list in Lightwave 9, you won't find anything in there that isn't gimicky or in some other app.

Why would I (I being a school) switch from something i have teachers for and is an industry standard to something that there are no teachers for and is touting virtually the same features as what i've already got? Plus, given the track record of LW's major release cycle, I as an institution would be a little jittery about dumping all i have invested into something that i can't really be sure has a future at all. Even though LW's price has been progressively coming down, it still is in the same price range as the others for an educational license (though 80 bucks difference is a lot with 30 seats).

I'm just saying, again, NewTek has a lot of hurdles to overcome before they can start convincing institutions and the like to start teaching lightwave again.

The best thing for NewTek to do is to develop a curriculum, and give it away with their software for free. Add free training for teaching professionals to get them up to speed. Get certified to teach lightwave for free, and give the software to educational facilities with quarterly seminars trainings and what not. Have a certified professional come out and train teachers at their facilities every quarter to keep them up to speed.

Do things like that, and we will see a new saturation of Lightwavers into the 3D based fields. Apple used to do this for schools, why couldn't NewTek.

It's all a matter of priorities and what is economically feasible. Lightwave hasn't had a mystique of awesome for quite some years. It just needs to recapture that, and I think it requires more than being 64-bit and throwing in plugins that used to be free (ala Maya).

AbnRanger
10-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Good Points. I don't have any delusions that Newtek can convince current animation programs to drop another application. As you stated, they would already have too much invested to do so. But, from the beginning of this thread, I emphasized that they COULD take a Pro-Active approach to introducing 3D Animation (using Lightwave) to schools that have yet to implement one.
I gave one of our local colleges as an example. They have a Visual Communications/Multimedia Program...but no 3D animation classes.
After talking with the Department head about it, she was relatively interested. Finding a qualified Instructor was the main impediment. To borrow from some of your ideas, Newtek can certainly step an and assist in that process. Somehow, their marketing guys who help moderate these boards... sure are quiet right about now. Shhhh... keep it down...they might hear you. :D

Stooch
10-12-2005, 09:10 PM
lightwaves apparent progress is the result of being so far behind.

AbnRanger
10-12-2005, 09:31 PM
lightwaves apparent progress is the result of being so far behind.
Wow. that's deep stuff, man. :jam:

AbnRanger
10-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Still, Maya and XSI hold a lot over the heads of both LW and Max.
Can't argue with you there... $6500 and $3500 heavier pricetags, respectively, is what they are holding..very little else.

By the way what was the deal about luxology? For someone still quite new to LW, I'm not aware of what took place...just something about a development team shakeup? I'd appreciate it if someone could fill me in. Thanks

Zach
10-13-2005, 12:30 AM
$6500 and $3500 heavier pricetags, respectively, is what they are holding..very little else

Actually, XSI's $500 is less than Lightwave's price tag, and you almost get more.

K, i think i'm done with this discussion.

As i have inferred from the luxology/newtek thing is that Hastings and Ferguson are the ones who started the LightWave package, and i think there were some issues with ip but i'm not quite sure. All i know is, it took a long time to get 8 out and it was during the same time Ferguson and Hastings were heading out with Peebler.

Wickster
10-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Even if its not going to be a technical/university/community/college tour. I think now is a good time as ever to start a Lightwave 9 Promotional Tour around the country/world. With the confusions going on right now with Alias and Autodesk I think it would be a smart move to show others that there is an alternative.

I just saw the XSI promo tour here in San Diego. I think they're doing a great job of promoting their software (and dissing Maya). With Autodesk and Alias busy with paperworks, deals and personnel changes now is the time for apps like Lightwave to shine.

Please Newtek start a Lightwave 9 Tour! Demo all the features of Lightwave 9! After all not all was able to attend Siggraph and many feel that the demos on stage were a little incomplete in terms of Modeler tools in Layout, Edges and most of features they did talk about in Siggraph were too short. I'll be sure to go if its comes around here on San Diego.

On a side not: ever notice that XSI users attack Maya, Maya users attack Lightwave and Lightwave users ... ummm well ... are here on this forum. :D

Zach
10-17-2005, 03:36 PM
On a side not: ever notice that XSI users attack Maya, Maya users attack Lightwave and Lightwave users ... ummm well ... are here on this forum.

LOL...

It's never too late, or too early to promote your product like that. I think that's a good idea Wickster.

I have a friend who teaches computer classes in Highschool. They use Bryce... seems like Lightwave could make inroads with these types of classes.

When i was in college, I had a friend who took a Max class in Highschool...

Just a thought.

Wickster
10-17-2005, 05:02 PM
I have a friend who teaches computer classes in Highschool. They use Bryce... seems like Lightwave could make inroads with these types of classes.

When i was in college, I had a friend who took a Max class in Highschool...
I think introdcuing Lightwave to High School Students is a great idea. Call it Intro to 3D of 3D arts. Since most colleges (like mine) insist of using what they think is "Industry Standard." High Schools, however, may take it as part of their Art curriculum regardless of the software package.

I'm working on my bachelor's degree for Media Arts right now and I was thinking of teaching 3D in my old High School, with Lightwave no doubt. Even if I could just attend a "Career Week" or something, I don't mind teaching (and promoting) Lightwave for a week.

Zach
10-17-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm working on my bachelor's degree for Media Arts right now which school?

Wickster
10-17-2005, 10:14 PM
which school?

Platt College San Diego. They used to teach Lightwave here...now its all Maya.