PDA

View Full Version : Greetings Wavers :-)

pumeco
10-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I've decided to sell my Cinema4D setup - and move over to LightWave.

Unfortunately, until I actually "sell" Cinema4D, I can't afford LightWave. Sooooooooo, I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of the latest demo version, or at the very least, a PDF of the manual or something.

This would be sure to stop me getting withdrawl symptoms during the cross-over period, and it means I'll be able to drool until I can get my hands on it ;-)

I've tried NewTek, but couldn't find a demo or manual that I was permitted to download without registering LightWave - what's the point of that?

Len.

hrgiger
10-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Welcome pumeco. Right now, the best way to get a demo is to download the 7.5 update off of the downloads page. It is an upgrade but it will function as a standalone demo. It limits you to something like 400 points or something like that but it will let you play with modeler and layout. A lot of us are still hasseling Newtek about getting a more recent demo out there.
Just curious, but what made you leave Cinema? It seems like a decent enough package but like all of them, I'm sure it's not for everyone.

cresshead
10-06-2005, 05:56 PM
once you get the '7.5 upgrade' running as a demo version come on back and we'll do our best to point you to some good and free tutorial videos which should give you a leg up on learning lightwave and make it fun and rewarding as soon as possible!
:lwicon:

Earl
10-06-2005, 08:26 PM
You can also contact NewTek and they will send you a free demo of LW 8.x. Supposedly there will be an all new demo version downloadable once version 9 is released.

Silkrooster
10-06-2005, 09:21 PM
While you are waiting go ahead and view the demo videos at http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/demos.php , they should get you drooling. :hey:
Silk

Wade
10-06-2005, 09:45 PM
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=36199&page=1&pp=15&highlight=demo

Call and ask CS they might send you one! :boogiedow

pumeco
10-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Thanks all.

I've finally managed to get a 7.5 Discovery edition, so that'll have to do for now - at least until they release that LightWave[9] demo.

I've just started my evil experiments with it, and god, it's different to Cinema4D in almost all respects - feels a bit weird to tell ya the truth.

I intend to get a 'feel' for it while I save. At the end of it all, if it turns out I don't like it, I might just have to stick with Cinema4D (assuming I still have it). Which brings me to why I'm selling my Cinema4D bundle (hrgigier did ask).

Basically, I'm outraged at the upgrade structure for this system - it's far too expensive for me, and not exactly as modular as I was lead to believe when I started spending my cash on it. The software however is excellent.

Again, thanks all for the help :-)

Len.

cresshead
10-07-2005, 01:13 PM
yeah the cost of continued ownership of cinema with all the modules is actually more expensive than maya or xsi essentials would be...and you don't have the power of maya or xsi either..esp for character animation.

also upgrading one modeule will break the other modules...ie upping the main module of cinema will mean that the advanced renderer will not work in the new main module...you'll have to update that as well.......ouch. :devil:

yep lightwave is 'quirky' if you come from using cinema or 3dsmax [i came from 3dsmax as i wanted to add another 3d app to fill some gaps in max back in max 4 days].....yet if your open minded enough you'll soon find that many of lightwave's 'quirks' are in fact pretty good workflow methods..just they do it differently!

a good pace to start to learn lightwave from free video tutorials would be here:-

http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/

http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/Transport_Pt1.mov
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/Transport_Pt2.mov
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/Transport_Pt3.mov
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/Transport_Pt4.mov
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/Transport_Pt5.mov
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/repairing_smoothing_errors.mov

mattclary
10-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Just stick with it and practice. I could see where it might be harder to switch packages than just to learn 3D for the first time. When you start new, you have no preconceived notions, and now you must unlearn a lot.

CB_3D
10-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Dependent on Your level You will miss some things from C4D, and be pleasantly by others. Make Yourself confortable with the Demo and make the final transition when 9 comes out. That would be my advice right now.

T-Light
10-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Another thing to look into would be cut price book stores, there's an excellent one near us where I've seen some of Dan Ablans older 'Inside Lightwave' series. Doesn't really matter how old the books are, the information they contain is generally still relevant and you can't go wrong for a tenner. :)

Bog
10-08-2005, 04:21 PM
The first and most important thing to familiarise oneself with is the slew of different select/deselect modes in Modeler. They're a real handful to start with, but once you've got it sussed, you can reach into the guts of a megapoly mesh with contemptuous ease. Also, I don't know Cinema4D, but a three-button mouse is an absolute minimum. I use a five-button mouse with a roller, and reprogam the thumb buttons depending on what I'm doing. At the moment, Thumb 1 is Weld Vertices and Thumb 2 is Drag Vertex. But really, concentrate on your selections in Modeler first, and it'll all cascade out from there.

Rabbitroo
10-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Another thing to look into would be cut price book stores, there's an excellent one near us where I've seen some of Dan Ablans older 'Inside Lightwave' series. Doesn't really matter how old the books are, the information they contain is generally still relevant and you can't go wrong for a tenner. :)

Alban's Inside LW[6] is a classic if you can find it.

Albee & Warner's Essential Lightwave 3D is also handy as a learning tool.

When you get more proficient, you should look at Fprime from Worley--it'll make you wonder why you were using C4D. Modeller is pretty good when you get the hang of it--a little less interactive than some of C4D's tools, but once you have the sense of them, you'll find Modeller to be quick speedy.

Good Luck with your LW'aving!

-K

:lightwave

pumeco
08-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Guess what, I haven't forgotten this thread, and months later I've decided - I'm getting LightWave!

:lightwave

Cheers :thumbsup:

Bog
08-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Guess what, I haven't forgotten this thread, and months later I've decided - I'm getting LightWave!

One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us!

Just in time for all the fancy new toys in 9.0 as well, good move!

GandB
08-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Welcome to your new obsess...I mean new home.:D

-Keith

colkai
08-10-2006, 02:35 AM
Good move, you'll not find a more helpful community I'll tell ya that much.
(Even if some of them are distinctly mad in the head) :p ;)

pumeco
08-10-2006, 09:04 AM
I'm a bit of a nut myself, so I'm sure I'll feel at home here :D

I'm wondering whether to jump in now, or wait for LW10 (or LWX if they go all numeralistic). I'm thinking perhaps I should learn with the Discovery Editions - then jump in later because I reckon 'that' release (being a milestone), will be something extra neat.

I've got to sell my Cinema4D bundle first (see signature), but even if I don't - I'll have no problems affording version LW10/X by the time it's released. I only hope that Newtek don't go and do something silly like pumping-up the price.

I hope they see it as a milestone, make it 'extra' amazing, and price it to the market of easier affordability. That'd pump-up the userbase, and THEN they could think about pumping-up the price. That's what I'm hoping they'll do, anyway.

Thanks for the welcoming comments :)

BazC
08-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Well I would think LW10 is AT LEAST a year away maybe more, you'll probably become frustrated by the limitations of the discovery edition long before then! I'd wait until the LW9 demo is available, it will be an unlimited 30 day trial (I think!) then will revert to discovery edition. Use that for a month and then buy LW9 if you like it!

Bog
08-10-2006, 10:08 AM
(Even if some of them are distinctly mad in the head)

Speak for yourself y'bird-fancying fruitloop.

Pay him no heed. The spiders say he's crazy.

colkai
08-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Speak for yourself y'bird-fancying fruitloop.

Pay him no heed. The spiders say he's crazy.

Hehe, that was just waay too easy :p >> Picture Colkai reeling in Bog on a strong line << ;)

..See what I mean. :screwy: :screwy:
:D

Just a shame you missed our 'special' thread, if you needed any proof at all of how much fun one can have here. :D

Anti-Distinctly
08-10-2006, 11:37 AM
I got a call from Maxon yesterday. They left a message asking me if I was interesting in C4D after I downloaded the demo. I haven't tried the demo and if the pricing is really that steep, I guess I wont be calling them back either.

pumeco
08-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Why buy it from Maxon? - I'm cheaper :D

GandB
08-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Maxon called me as well after I tried the demo awhile back. I had to tell them that they didn't have much of a pipleine for game development.